Trying to help someone applying to a new school. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Someone I know wants me to help them with their child's school application to a charter school. The school wants a short, maybe 2-line idea why they want they want to enroll their child in that school. Really the reasons are that their district's public school rating has been going down fast and second the charter school the child is now attending is only up to Grade 5. I asked them why this school and they say it's in great demand. There's a big waiting list and that kind of stuff. And it's very close to where they live. So, i don't really know how to help them. Can I say they have heard great things about the school through word of mouth?

Any ideas what they could write.

Thanks,

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

The most important thing, to be honest, is do they know why they want *their* child going, as opposed to the fact that it's in demand by many other families?

Maybe ask them what their favorite things are about the current charter school as a starting point?  If you bring up the proximity, try doing it in terms of neighborhood, community, walkability (if applicable).  And, sure, positive word of mouth is always appropriate; I'd do it in terms that make clear their child is a good match (if there aren't other parts of app specific to this), you know, along the lines of "Zoe is so excited about science and your reputation for providing innovative and challenging activities makes us feel your school would be a place she can thrive."

Two lines, you said.  I blew it already.  :)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

The most important thing, to be honest, is do they know why they want *their* child going, as opposed to the fact that it's in demand by many other families?

Maybe ask them what their favorite things are about the current charter school as a starting point?  If you bring up the proximity, try doing it in terms of neighborhood, community, walkability (if applicable).  And, sure, positive word of mouth is always appropriate; I'd do it in terms that make clear their child is a good match (if there aren't other parts of app specific to this), you know, along the lines of "Zoe is so excited about science and your reputation for providing innovative and challenging activities makes us feel your school would be a place she can thrive."

Two lines, you said.  I blew it already.  :)

Thank you. I just told them this morning to at least go visit the school and see what extra curricular activities they offer. How many students to a teacher. That kind of thing.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you bring up the proximity, try doing it in terms of neighborhood, community, walkability (if applicable). 

Sorry, i didn't get this part.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Sorry, i didn't get this part.

Oh, sorry, I just meant that if they go into how close it is for them, to make the benefit more about than just their own convenience.  I was just thinking of avoiding something that could be interpreted as "well, it's nearby, that's good enough for us."

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, sorry, I just meant that if they go into how close it is for them, to make the benefit more about than just their own convenience.  I was just thinking of avoiding something that could be interpreted as "well, it's nearby, that's good enough for us."

Thanks.

User Tag List