April 2014 -- What did you accomplish today? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 220 Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywornwanderer View Post

it went off reasonably well... but I'm REALLY GLAD my in-laws are gone now. they are hyper-critical, nosy, mean-spirited, judgmental, closed-minded, complaining sort of people who send this introvert into madness! haha. 

Oh, wow, and I thought my DH was an only child.  TGIM for a change, right?  :-)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#122 of 220 Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Beautiful spring day here; I got to run errands without taking a heavy coat and boots.

- mailed DS2 his box at the post office

- picked up some stockings for a formal work thing DH is taking me to this Saturday

- picked out some ties for DH -- narrowed it down to four, and the store let me take them on approval . . . as in, walk out with almost $200 worth of clothing after just leaving them my name

- dropped by DH's office and showed him the ties, told him he had to like at least one after they were so nice

- went back to the store and returned what he didn't keep, paid for the rest

- emptied cubbies we'd been using in the upstairs bathroom for linen storage

- moved some linens into the new cabinet

- bagged the rest for donation

- texted DS1 a pic of the cubbies with measurements to see if his GF would like them

- folded a load of laundry and put mine away

- washed and hung another load

- chatted with DH about his our day -- whoops, had a moment from the mythical Good Wife's Guide there

This evening looks like it may be easy:  leftover's from yesterday's embarrassment of riches for dinner.  My leg is a little better when I rest it, so "time on the couch" gets to be an accomplishment.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#123 of 220 Old 04-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Random, half-weird day here. 

- Woke up with a continued stomach ache from yesterday's dairy exposure (thank you MIL). 

- Went to the dentist in the morning to get a cracked filling fixed - have to go back next week for a proper crown. 

- Went into the office and worked the rest of the day. 

- Stopped by the park district and registered for two community garden plots. 

- Went to Target for post-Easter clearance. 

- Made dinner for Little Man and spent some time with him before bed. 

- Made myself noodles for dinner. Husband is eating leftovers. 

Now I'm going to lay on the couch feeling crappy, half-watching the Hawks game with husband. And if I have any sense, I'll go to bed at a decent hour. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#124 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I am running away to the beach.  I came back to regular life just feeling awful!  Yesterday was tough:

*Woke up completely exhausted and headachy.  Couldn't drag myself up to work out. My shoulders and neck are also really tense.

*Had a headache ALL FREAKIN DAY.  That's just not fair.

*Realized my first midterm was 9:30am and not 12:30 like I thought.  Couldn't find my textbook to review (and was too upset Sunday night to review).

*Totally bombed my midterm (I'm hoping for a C).  Son did math and liked the new curriculum.

*Dishwasher was not working, leaving a film on everything.  In my headache haze, I washed the dishes three times in the dishwasher in an attempt to avoid hand washing (sorry, environment!).  Kitchen was a mess all day.

*Ate lunch and covered a bit of the climate change curriculum with son.  Tasked him with some things later in the day.

*In an effort to get rid of the headache, took nonobadbordercollie for a long walk with son.  That was actually pretty nice.

*Girls home and took DD1 to her horseback lesson.  I studied for my second midterm and she got to go on a trail ride today!

*Home again in time to just handwash the freakin dishes, had son dry them while DD1 did her homework.  DD2 and husband went to lax practice.

*I reviewed more for my second midterm with the heating pad on my shoulders and fell asleep.  Oops. 

*Woke up and realized that I had to cook dinner.  Managed pasta and sauce with salad. 

*Husband watched Bully with the kids while I took my second midterm (I think I DID fail this one.  Sigh.  I was too tired and headachey to think too hard about any of the essay questions).  I've been wanting the kids to see Bully, it's a powerful movie.  It has language and normally i wouldn't let the kids watch something with too much language, but I felt this was important.  I'm glad husband watched it with them because I cried through it the first time and I knew if I watched it again I would just sob through it again. 

*Went to bed right after my midterm because my damn head still hurt and I was exhausted from stress and tension.

I woke up with a headache this morning but then my chiropractor appointment took the headache away!!!  SO YAY FOR NO MORE HEADACHE!  I need to see if I can take anything with the Celebrex for headache.  My poor liver.  Any natural remedy suggestions for headaches?  I drank caffeine, slept and tried to keep my day low key.  It was an annoying pressure behind my left eye all day.  Nothing migraine-like, just enough to be annoying.  Now I am headache free but still feeling exhausted.  Not rundown-sick.  Like I haven't had enough sleep exhausted.  Just tired.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's autoimmune related.

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#125 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Welcome back!  Sorry about the tough note closing your vacation.  Sounds as though you and your (present) family are working on healthy ways to handle things -- hope that's a comfort, even though the yield can be years out.  And good luck on your midterms!!

Thanks!  Yes, the issues affect my girlies and I mostly.  It involves extended family.  It's the reason I started seeing a therapist (though now I like the therapist enough that I go just to talk about everything) but I'm also realizing now that DD2 may need to see someone again.  I have posted under a different name before about these things and received a lot of support.  Mothering.com is a good place!

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#126 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Meowmix I'm sorry you had such a rotten day. I'm glad the chiropractor helped your headache away and I wish my husband would believe in chiropractic too so I could go more often.

I survived Easter with my in-laws, the fifth (!) day in a row I saw DH's parents. Now for a break! Dinner was delicious and we're still eating the leftovers.

I picked up sticks for 80 minutes this morning and more than an hour yesterday so now the neighbor is mowing. Woo-hoo! That and the sun finally coming out is helping me be happy.

This morning I did a few school subjects with my older two and proofread the first three chapters of something for a friend.

It will be such a joy to walk around the yard when he's done on decent shorter grass and cut weeds!

My son has started to not practice keyboard, and he gave up before his lesson was done yesterday. I'm glad at least my daughter, his older sister, plays and sings.

In other news, all four of my children from ages 3 to 8 make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches now, with varying degrees of peanut butter and jelly wasted and messiness of course.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#127 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry meowmix you had a rough day. :Hug

- Introduced Penny my one and only real life friend to my family. She and her little boy arrived today to live with us. They were dlighted with her.

- Had a pow wow between sisters and our Aunties to arrange us taking turns with one-anothers' kids. In the light of my nanny's departure, we'll do it ourselves and I get to save paying out a salary. Regarding the latter, I have a plan on simmer.

- Drove with Aunty to take mum back to the hospice. Going to miss her badly, but Penny was so reassuring.

- Then onto a conveyancer to deal with Megs' property, afterwhich we visited a DIY store to buy timber for my latest carpentry project.

- Returned home to check if Juniper was behaving. Iona happily said "yup yup bless her". I went off out, grabbed my billhook to commence coppicing hazel.

- Prepped tonight's dinner with Kittywits, slagged off a telemarketer. Hahaa they're all fair game ya know. :wink

#128 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Meowmix I'm sorry you had such a rotten day. I'm glad the chiropractor helped your headache away and I wish my husband would believe in chiropractic too so I could go more often.

In other news, all four of my children from ages 3 to 8 make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches now, with varying degrees of peanut butter and jelly wasted and messiness of course.

Thanks Catholic Mama and Spiderpig.  I was going to the chiro twice a week for persistent neck and shoulder pain.  The chiro, plus the Celebrex has helped tremendously!  Definitely not normal, and probably never will be.  But at least I don't have chronic pain in my shoulder that radiates from my neck anymore.  THAT was miserable.  

Kids making their own food is so awesome, isn't it?!  At some point they will clean up.  I'm still waiting on that.  My 12 year old just made himself a sandwich for lunch and left out the meat and the bread all open on the counter.  Sigh.  ;)  

Today has been better.  Thrift store shopping (found an electric pencil sharpener for 2 bucks that works!) and some summer shorts and Tshirts for son and DD1.  Went to therapy, which is always nice.  The dogs are currently eating and playing with an old flip flop.  I really should take it away from them but they are cute.  

#129 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Feels like too much and not enough at the same time: 

- FedEx office to have some papers scanned for DS2

- dentist for my permanent crown

- library bin to return books

- BBB to buy replacement vacuum cleaner

- donation center, dropped off huge sack of household linens

- home, emailed the scanned documents to DS2's school

- tidied up a few things in the living area; got a couple of more things to put in the next donation run

- made DH a few lunches for work

- put chicken in the oven to roast for dinner

Dying to hear from DS1, it sounds like he / they put in an application for an apartment, but we haven't had time to catch up.  And DS2 is registering for next semester's classes today, hoping he gets some courses he really likes.  Is waiting an accomplishment?  "Today I practiced the great maternal art of not-hovering!"  :Sheepish

meowmix likes this.

#130 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:

MrsKoehn, hope your spoon inventory rises soon.  And send the cold and rain this way, kitchensqueen, I'm in the mood to hunker down a little more -- spring asks too much activity of me, and I'm basically a housecat.  Spiderpig, your farm is gorgeous, definitely good for the soul to be out there.

Baked baked baked yesterday, then moved / moving the bounty along:

- responded to an email from DS2 about the Heartbleed virus; we will never be fleeced while our sons are in contact with us
- out the door to DS1's with homemade pop tarts, pumpkin garlic knots, and vital wheat gluten because I want him to have more protein in his bread
- had a wonderful visit with DS1 and his GF
- stopped for a late lunch with DH on the way home
- hauled things out to the car for tomorrow's errands:  recycling, library books, shoes for repair, dry cleaning
- made up dough for DS2's pumpkin garlic knots
- visited with our next-door neighbors
- offered feedback on a paper DH wrote for his class
- baked DS2's pumpkin garlic knots
- practiced some French

Just have to build DS2's box and hang out.  Early to bed, I hope.

Thank you. I saw my dr last Monday. I go back in 2 weeks for the test results. Hope we can get back some spoons too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywornwanderer View Post

Hello! I'm new to this thread but thought it'd be fun to join in! What the heck.

Today I:

**scrubbed baseboards
**swept and steam mopped the kitchen and downstairs bath/laundry
**stuffed cloth diapers
**folded a load of whites and put a load of colors in the wash. towels too.
**prepped hot cross buns (made with black currants and green cardamom. mmmm) which will go into the oven soon (they're proofing as I type).
**vacuumed the carpets, and the upstairs bedrooms
**washed a sinkfull of dishes
**sent an email out to a mom-to-be who is new in town and needs a mama friend smile.gif
**now I'm "napping" with my babygirl, waiting for her to wake up so I can pop the buns into the oven (she requires that I be touching her at almost all times, which is equal parts sweet, snuggly, and a bit frustrating). we await the arrival of my in-laws, who are traveling to here (PA) from CA. the whole gang of em, minus one sister in law: a 12 year old, 15 year old, 17 year old, 23 year old, and my parents in law. I'm quaking in my boots because I'm an extreme introvert and the chaos of having so many people over for Easter weekend might send me over the edge!! I've also never cooked for this suez crowd, so that'll be interesting.
**tomorrow I prep for our big Easter supper: grilled garlic leg of lamb, grilled lemon asparagus, and Greek potatoes. plus homemade peanut butter chocolate eggs smile.gif

Welcome! My 17 m old daughter is like that too. I have to stay right there or she freaks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

We watched Mel Gibson's The Passion last night and when Jesus said "It is accomplished" from the cross, I thought of this thread. Opening heaven to us (after original sin closed it) is quite an accomplishment I would say.

I also went with my oldest daughter to Stations of the Cross, the first time this Lent it wasn't scheduled at bedtime. Then we picked up a couple of wires and other mail from my in-laws. I brought my casserole dish home because it won't be big enough for a double batch of green bean casserole for tomorrow's Easter dinner and left a 9 x 13 pan there, and slipped some Better than Ice Cream into one of their freezers for my mother-in-law and siblings-in-law.

I froze more bananas, kiwi, and strawberries to make more Better Than Ice Cream for Easter presents.

After my children went to bed, my exercise bike let me ride it for half an hour without it squeaking or croaking! Boy was I happy about that.

Today my children and I are going to my in-laws to color eggs. (Why can't my husband take them? Oh yeah, he already grew up with his parents and now it's my turn to be around them...or something like that.) When I get at least 10 minutes to run the blender long enough I plan to blend what I froze yesterday for the seminarians and priests. Hopefully it'll stay mostly frozen through Mass tomorrow morning.

It's also Saturday Morning Clean-up. I'm almost caught up on the dishes, but we haven't had breakfast yet. If I get a chance to run the central vacuum upstairs I'll do that too, and then I'll go back and pick up everything it left because it really isn't that effective. I swept downstairs on Thursday morning and it shouldn't need it again this soon. If the sun comes out I'll pick up sticks because the neighbor is due to mow, otherwise I'll wait until Monday. I hope to give him a call too because I thought he was going to start mowing by now. Maybe it's because he doesn't have our number, even though we're only three doors down.

Tonight if I can come home from my in-laws' in time I'll use the potatoes my next door neighbor gave me before going up north for the summer to make Shepherd's Pie.

Blessed Holy Saturday everyone!

I only watched the Passion once about 5 years ago, but it was amazing that Jesus came to give His life as the Spotless Lamb of God for us,. Makes all the problems we have seem petty, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

This evening Mum explained why she's been such a harridan these last four years; it was a revelation. I had no idea.

And then to celebrate it, Mark brought in a massive carton containing (see the link) and said he's going to build a lobby so our kitchen won't be chockablock anymore. My accomplishment? Sorting through the kitchen paraphernalia to allow - for this!  icon_eek-1.gif

Sometimes revelations like that can change a relationship, can't they?

Quote:

Beautiful spring day here; I got to run errands without taking a heavy coat and boots.

- mailed DS2 his box at the post office
- picked up some stockings for a formal work thing DH is taking me to this Saturday
- picked out some ties for DH -- narrowed it down to four, and the store let me take them on approval . . . as in, walk out with almost $200 worth of clothing after just leaving them my name
- dropped by DH's office and showed him the ties, told him he had to like at least one after they were so nice
- went back to the store and returned what he didn't keep, paid for the rest
- emptied cubbies we'd been using in the upstairs bathroom for linen storage
- moved some linens into the new cabinet
- bagged the rest for donation
- texted DS1 a pic of the cubbies with measurements to see if his GF would like them
- folded a load of laundry and put mine away
- washed and hung another load
- chatted with DH about his our day -- whoops, had a moment from the mythical Good Wife's Guide there

This evening looks like it may be easy:  leftover's from yesterday's embarrassment of riches for dinner.  My leg is a little better when I rest it, so "time on the couch" gets to be an accomplishment.

Wow, they are very trusting! I bet they are pretty honest folks too. That's great to hear that people still do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post

I am running away to the beach.  I came back to regular life just feeling awful!  Yesterday was tough:
*Woke up completely exhausted and headachy.  Couldn't drag myself up to work out. My shoulders and neck are also really tense.
*Had a headache ALL FREAKIN DAY.  That's just not fair.
*Realized my first midterm was 9:30am and not 12:30 like I thought.  Couldn't find my textbook to review (and was too upset Sunday night to review).
*Totally bombed my midterm (I'm hoping for a C).  Son did math and liked the new curriculum.
*Dishwasher was not working, leaving a film on everything.  In my headache haze, I washed the dishes three times in the dishwasher in an attempt to avoid hand washing (sorry, environment!).  Kitchen was a mess all day.
*Ate lunch and covered a bit of the climate change curriculum with son.  Tasked him with some things later in the day.
*In an effort to get rid of the headache, took nonobadbordercollie for a long walk with son.  That was actually pretty nice.
*Girls home and took DD1 to her horseback lesson.  I studied for my second midterm and she got to go on a trail ride today!
*Home again in time to just handwash the freakin dishes, had son dry them while DD1 did her homework.  DD2 and husband went to lax practice.
*I reviewed more for my second midterm with the heating pad on my shoulders and fell asleep.  Oops. 
*Woke up and realized that I had to cook dinner.  Managed pasta and sauce with salad. 
*Husband watched Bully with the kids while I took my second midterm (I think I DID fail this one.  Sigh.  I was too tired and headachey to think too hard about any of the essay questions).  I've been wanting the kids to see Bully, it's a powerful movie.  It has language and normally i wouldn't let the kids watch something with too much language, but I felt this was important.  I'm glad husband watched it with them because I cried through it the first time and I knew if I watched it again I would just sob through it again. 
*Went to bed right after my midterm because my damn head still hurt and I was exhausted from stress and tension.

I woke up with a headache this morning but then my chiropractor appointment took the headache away!!!  SO YAY FOR NO MORE HEADACHE!  I need to see if I can take anything with the Celebrex for headache.  My poor liver.  Any natural remedy suggestions for headaches?  I drank caffeine, slept and tried to keep my day low key.  It was an annoying pressure behind my left eye all day.  Nothing migraine-like, just enough to be annoying.  Now I am headache free but still feeling exhausted.  Not rundown-sick.  Like I haven't had enough sleep exhausted.  Just tired.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's autoimmune related.

Natural headache relief depends on the cause. I find my top helpers are drinking something like Gatorade to rehydrate; taking a nap; a hot shower; magnesium supplements; a back rub, heating pad, and a cup of hot tea. My parents use peppermint essential oil 1:1 in olive oil on their temples and sniffing it, but it doesn't usually help me. I think theirs are normally sinus related, they use a netti pot too.
Spiderpig likes this.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#131 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Yes, MrsKoen, though Mark got his marching orders along with said Kenwood mixer. No longer beholden to him and his wandering eye and generosity based on guilt, I'm buying it for myself instead. :wink

MrsKoehn likes this.
#132 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM

The list of my usual goings on that I posted a week and a half ago is basically how is gone.

Exceptions:
Last Monday I went to my original Dr to get a second opinion on the woman Dr's stuff and to see how to get back on track. He took some tests, I'll go back in a couple weeks for the results. He said her stuff looks okay, but if it's not working, we need to keep looking.

Good Friday and yesterday we had of school so they could clean up before and agreed the Family Gathering. Hubby has close to 30 cousins, most of which live close and have families ranging from 1 to 7 or 8 kids. Probably half the family showed up at my in laws farm next door for the afternoon. It was chaotic but memories.

Today Ana and I went for our grocery shopping a few days early. I needed too much stuff to wait, and I knew the girls would have enough work to do on the farm IF they had finished cleaning. Which I doubt happened. Lol

Now I'm exhausted I on the couch with 40 things I could and should do. But I'm not going to do more than I must.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#133 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 PM

Well, well, well it has been a very interesting day for everyone today! Oy. :-)

Meowmix - for non-med solutions to migraines, have you tried cold compresses? I suffer from chronic migraines as well and it's one of the only non-med solutions that seems to help at all. Mind you, it doesn't make the migraine go away, but it does help it go down to a dull ache that you can muddle through upright. Which can be considered a win, in my book. 

Spiderpig - dare I ask about the Mark situation? Did we miss something... ?

Maria Madly - I think your comment perfectly sums up today for all of us - it was too much and not enough!

As for me, today can be summed as such thus far - 

- That Place happened. 

- Got a tour of the home improvements that husband surprised me with. He hung a shelf in the living room, some artwork and a mirror in our bedroom and reorganized the master bedroom closet into his and hers areas! He is putting his birthday present (a new cordless drill) to good use! 

- Made dinner. 

- Spent some time with Little Man. 

- Bath and bedtime routine with Little Man. 

- Browsed this week's sales flyers for Food 4 Less and Jewel. Discovered Jewel is having Barilla pasta for $0.88 this week, and I have $1.00/2 coupons, which means I can get it for $0.38 a box. Stock up price! 

- Went through the mail. 

Going to work on my shopping list for this week, organize some coupons, and then I need to work some.... metrics are due tomorrow and I haven't even thought of them yet. I swear, every month is the same story. Wash, rinse, repeat and not enough hours to do all three. Sigh. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#134 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Spiderpig - dare I ask about the Mark situation? Did we miss something... ?

Erm, I think this will explain everything: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1400766/ive-broken-off-my-engagement-to-mark

Sorry, I realise you can't be everywhere on the forums. You're such a busy little bee in the kitchen. Like to do dins for me tomorrow? ;)

#135 of 220 Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Wow, that is something. And yeah, I rarely get off my usual threads here. Just not enough time in the day. 

#136 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 AM

Thank you for reading it. :)

You know, I rather sensed my nanny had taken a shine to him. Mark was a good looking man, possessed a kind of magnetism. All it needed was that spark. Nevermind. Things, if they're not meant to be then there's nothing we can do about except ride the wave. See where it takes us.

- I got Penny staying with us and her little boy. We had a fun time bathing our little ones and then we had breakfast: bacon and eggs, preceded by porridge. Yum! Now it's time soon to go coppicing, put a bit hazel stick-about.:thumb

#137 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 AM

I am such in a slump lately.  I feel like I am just kind of not doing anything well, from work to college to parenting.  *sigh* Please bare with me while I work through this slump! :(

Spiderpig... wow.  I read your post (I also only visit a few forums every few days and mainly stay on this thread due to lack of time).  What a jerk Mark was.  And your nanny!  Good riddance.  He is the father of your child?  Someday he'll regret what he did and realize he's missed out on his daughter's life.  Sorry that had to happen to you.  

MariaMadly- LOL on the hovering comment!  I know someday I'll be the same way!  

Yesterday I posted part of already.  Later in the day...

*While my therapist and I had a good chat, we both came to the conclusion that my son may need some therapy for his anxiety (he admitted to me yesterday that he feels anxious VERY frequently during the day and I see it prevents him from doing things much of the time- ie: meeting people).  

*Chatted with my friend for a while after the girls got home from school

*Decided to go to the girl's high school lax game with her so we got all our girls together and went.

*Son and husband met us at the next game (boys high school lacrosse.) after son's lax practice.  Part of me wants my son to go to high school so I can go watch him play lax.  I admit, part of my problem is thinking I am doing a horrible job homeschooling him and I kind of miss the school culture.  I also think his anxiety is part of why he wanted to homeschool in the first place.  :(

*Ran through the drive thru on the way home because it was after 8pm when we left.

*Put the kids to bed, watched a show, went to bed!  

#138 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I am such in a slump lately.  I feel like I am just kind of not doing anything well, from work to college to parenting.  *sigh* Please bare with me while I work through this slump! :(

Spiderpig... wow.  I read your post (I also only visit a few forums every few days and mainly stay on this thread due to lack of time).  What a jerk Mark was.  And your nanny!  Good riddance.  He is the father of your child?  Someday he'll regret what he did and realize he's missed out on his daughter's life.  Sorry that had to happen to you.  

Hello meowmix :) I have been following your posts with interest. I also have been praying for you. Anxiety is a bit of a beast, but it can be handled.

No, Mark isn't Juniper's father and I am very glad that he wasn't. He did write apologising, a letter which arrived this afternoon by courier, but I have yet to reply back. I shall box his ears, even if it is by pen and ink! And a separate letter I shall send to Megs, the nanny. But there is no way I am having both back. They broke my trust and that of little Juniper. I worry about Juniper because Mark won't be returning. She got calling him "Daddy", which is hard. Her real father sadly, is dead. One day when she is old enough to understand, I shall have to tell her, but in the meantime I have told her Mark has gone away. She seems happy with that and hopefully, now my lovely friend Penny is here staying permanently with my family and I, perhaps Juniper will forget him altogether. She's such a happy child full of laughter and giggles. Her piercing blue eyes stare back steadily. They hold mischief! :bgbounce 

I cannot talk about Juniper's real father. Not yet anyway. That would be very hard. I am sure you and all our lovely friends here will understand.

I cry a lot. Crying now. I think - its good to cry. Let it all out. I have been through far worse. I also have been having a renewed course of grief counselling and found it very helpful. I see my counsellor this Friday and plan to tell her about Mark and the seething inside he left me with. Today - and it's been a good day - I've been coppicing hazle, willow and hornbeam. Nothing like a good workout to free the emotions.

#139 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

The list of my usual goings on that I posted a week and a half ago is basically how is gone.

Exceptions:
Last Monday I went to my original Dr to get a second opinion on the woman Dr's stuff and to see how to get back on track. He took some tests, I'll go back in a couple weeks for the results. He said her stuff looks okay, but if it's not working, we need to keep looking.

Good Friday and yesterday we had of school so they could clean up before and agreed the Family Gathering. Hubby has close to 30 cousins, most of which live close and have families ranging from 1 to 7 or 8 kids. Probably half the family showed up at my in laws farm next door for the afternoon. It was chaotic but memories.

Today Ana and I went for our grocery shopping a few days early. I needed too much stuff to wait, and I knew the girls would have enough work to do on the farm IF they had finished cleaning. Which I doubt happened. Lol

Now I'm exhausted I on the couch with 40 things I could and should do. But I'm not going to do more than I must.

Quote:

MariaMadly- LOL on the hovering comment!  I know someday I'll be the same way!  

Yesterday I posted part of already.  Later in the day...

*While my therapist and I had a good chat, we both came to the conclusion that my son may need some therapy for his anxiety (he admitted to me yesterday that he feels anxious VERY frequently during the day and I see it prevents him from doing things much of the time- ie: meeting people).  

*Chatted with my friend for a while after the girls got home from school

*Decided to go to the girl's high school lax game with her so we got all our girls together and went.

*Son and husband met us at the next game (boys high school lacrosse.) after son's lax practice.  Part of me wants my son to go to high school so I can go watch him play lax.  I admit, part of my problem is thinking I am doing a horrible job homeschooling him and I kind of miss the school culture.  I also think his anxiety is part of why he wanted to homeschool in the first place.  :(

*Ran through the drive thru on the way home because it was after 8pm when we left.

*Put the kids to bed, watched a show, went to bed!  

Hope you're both feeling better soon!  And so much of the Mommy Thing can't wait, can it?

#140 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Thank you! :)

Juniper is now asleep - yaay!

And presently, I'm accomplishing a large gin & tonic

#141 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Most of the way through another one.  I'm supposed to be resting a leg I twanged, but no dice:

- bought groceries

- heaved a sack of recycling at the dump

- dropped off more donations at Goodwill

- put groceries away

- packed up and froze the cookies my mother baked for DS1 and DS2

- did the light cleanup from that

- purged and stored some stuff from a magazine rack that is Going Away

- brought empty cubbies down from bathroom so DH could use them for course materials until GF1 gets them

- folded a load of laundry

- washed and hung another

- did stretches

- started chicken soup

- diced a lone onion for some reason or another -- we seem to need them pretty often, so I did it; go figure

- went next door to feed our neighbors' dog; she's traveling for work, and he's second shift

- now I'm heading for the couch to rest my leg

#142 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 PM

- I've been reading all evening, and got my tootsies up on the sofa while watching Penny crochet. I'd like to learn crocheting as it's so relaxing. Time for bed soon - quarter past midnight already.

Nighty night! :)

#143 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Hi all I haven't been on much. I just found out I'm expecting and I've been soooo tired!

Today I got DD ready and took her to school.
Came back home got me and the baby dressed and took him to the Dr.
Went to post office.
Went to walmart to get his prescription and buy a few things. (They didn't have the prescription)
Came home put baby to nap
Ate and napped myself
Picked DD up from school
Went to another store to get prescription
Came home made dinner
Gave kids bath
Helped DD with homework
Cleaning up dinner now!
Still have to put kids to bed and try to clean some house greensad.gif my tiredness has been out of control. I can't function lol.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#144 of 220 Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

Hi all I haven't been on much. I just found out I'm expecting and I've been soooo tired!

Congratulations!

My day was fairly basic. Worked from home today, so got to sleep in a bit and have a little extra real life time too. 

- Went to start baking husband's birthday cake for tomorrow with Little Man, only to realize we were out of eggs. Ran to Jewel for some, and also picked up some Asian ingredients we are always missing - fish sauce, sambal oelek, rice vinegar and Chinese-style egg noodles. My ulterior motive (not just restocking the pantry) is bamee noodles with barbecue pork for dinner. 

- Baked husband's birthday cake - carrot cake - with Little Man. 

- Helped Little Man make a birthday card for husband. 

- Started dinner. 

- Tidied the house. 

- Sorted through the mail - three identical credit card offers, really?

- Checked out the coupon previews for this weekend - great ones, so I'm planning to get at least 3 papers. 

- Laid out my clothes for work and organized my bag. 

Now I'm going to relax, watch the Hawks game with husband and hang out. About a half hour of office work in the cards to prep my staff for the day tomorrow, but that's it. Rome wasn't built in a day. :-)

#145 of 220 Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:

Congrats!!!  How exciting!  Is this number 3?  

MariaMadly- you are always so busy purging things.  Would you like to come and do that here?  I think I'll have to wait until the kids are out of the house to purge because the minute I pick up any old random toy, they freak out because suddenly it is the most precious thing to them ever.  heh

Kitchens- happy birthday to your husband!  Carrot cake is one of my favs.  Yum!

Spiderpig- sometimes crying is wonderfully cleansing for the soul, isn't it?  

Yesterday was a bit better.  I was determined to quit this slump:

*STILL did not work out.  Argh.  However, I did wake up at 6:30, I just didn't get up.  

*Son read his novel while I skimmed a couple blogs I read.  Chatted with husband about son and therapy, emailed a therapist I'm interested in.

*Tidied a messy house- swept, generally picked up, cleaned kitchen, started roasting bones for stock for dinner.  Son did math lesson.

*Did a climate change lesson with son.  Some of this stuff is kind of lost on him and I'm finding it frustrating.  Argh.

*Ate lunch- salad- and started stock (I might have started the stock a couple hours before lunch, I can't remember

*Took nonobadbordercollie for a long walk with son 

*Studied a while and son made a trap mashup (but then couldn't post it on Soundcloud due to copywrite laws)

*Took son to homeschool history class- I studied more while I waited for him

*Made soup for dinner with stock

*Took DD2 to lax practice, chatted with friend there for a moment

*Home again to make biscuits and ate dinner with everyone except DD2

*Took son to DJ lesson.  Studied while he practiced, did a phone consult with therapist and liked her a lot, made appt for son.

*Came home and watched Cosmos with kids, tucked them in, watched Continuum with husband, went to bed!

Today son wants to go into DC but I don't think I have time.  I NEED to work, and I NEED to finish a late paper and submit it.  Hopefully she will take it.  I also need to do some more housework- our bathrooms are science projects and husband has done the laundry, but it needs to be put away (at least it is folded!). I got a 78 on the midterm I thought I failed.  I'll take that C! 

#146 of 220 Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Still have to put kids to bed and try to clean some house greensad.gif my tiredness has been out of control. I can't function lol.

More congrats!  And you're functioning plenty.  Now, WalMart is /not/ functioning; my mother uses them and is at the point of calling ahead every. single. time. because they've not had things ready for her in the past. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Congratulations!

My day was fairly basic. Worked from home today, so got to sleep in a bit and have a little extra real life time too. 

- Went to start baking husband's birthday cake for tomorrow with Little Man, only to realize we were out of eggs. Ran to Jewel for some, and also picked up some Asian ingredients we are always missing - fish sauce, sambal oelek, rice vinegar and Chinese-style egg noodles. My ulterior motive (not just restocking the pantry) is bamee noodles with barbecue pork for dinner. 

- Baked husband's birthday cake - carrot cake - with Little Man. 

- Helped Little Man make a birthday card for husband. 

Now I'm going to relax, watch the Hawks game with husband and hang out. About a half hour of office work in the cards to prep my staff for the day tomorrow, but that's it. Rome wasn't built in a day. :-)

Happy Birthday to your DH!  And it's nice to hear you've had a chance to work from home.  Hope work is letting up on you a bit.

Quote:

MariaMadly- you are always so busy purging things.  Would you like to come and do that here?  I think I'll have to wait until the kids are out of the house to purge because the minute I pick up any old random toy, they freak out because suddenly it is the most precious thing to them ever.  heh

Today son wants to go into DC but I don't think I have time.  I NEED to work, and I NEED to finish a late paper and submit it.  Hopefully she will take it.  I also need to do some more housework- our bathrooms are science projects and husband has done the laundry, but it needs to be put away (at least it is folded!). I got a 78 on the midterm I thought I failed.  I'll take that C! 

Yay for passing your midterm!!!

Hate the pull between the kids and our own constraints.  How old is old enough to go into DC by himself, do you think?  DS1 and DS2 would go into Boston via bus by the time they were 16 definitely, and I don't remember, but maybe 14-15.  By then, we were at least going down together, splitting up, and meeting up.  So you can't even cut him loose on his own yet, sounds like.  Hope he and you have a good day anyway.

And you're right, purging has been a big deal around here lately.  We were already looking at starting a long season of it, then when my mother and her stuff moved in, it kind of pushed things along.  So much of it belongs to the kids, so I hear you about the exact pitch of grief-stricken protest when even touching their toys, books, etc.  :-)  My approach at this point is that DH and I have enough to start going through and making a real difference.  The boys (listen to me, "boys," they're both old enough to buy liquor!) are good with my consolidating things, so the space gain is there even if I'm not getting rid of their belongings.  And getting rid of mine and DH's will set an example, we hope.

#147 of 220 Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM

- Coppicing cancelled; interviewed a stockman with Aunty who's presently chasing references. Nice man

- Did sainsbury's shopping, spent £92 and got 10p a litre off coupon for petrol! Saved nearly £4 filling the car up. Goodo!

- Bought this Eton Satellit 750 shortwave receiver   for just £90, one month old/unwanted pressie. Bargain from Gumtree.com! :bgbounce

- Sat down to a lovely lunch made by my sisters, loved Kitty's WONderful sourdough bread

- Did 2 hours' farm accounts

- Time now: 16:05 time for a nap

#148 of 220 Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
@meowmix thank you, yes #3
@MariaMadly thanks! It wasn't that it wasn't ready, they just didn't carry it!

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#149 of 220 Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Was in so much pain last night from something I pulled in my leg that it kept me from getting to sleep.  Rest seems to be the order of the day.  Climbing the walls from purge withdrawal:

- got hold of doc's office and made an appointment to be seen tomorrow

- did needlework

- did needlework

- did needlework

- found three books for the donation bin, because going cold turkey just doesn't cut it

- did needlework

- did stretches

- emailed committee chair that I won't be able to make a meeting this evening

More needlework and reading ahead.  DH offered to watch "The Wire" with me tonight, too.  I'm ready to fly out of my own skin because there's a lot I really want to get started on doing around here.  It'll happen sooner if I don't injure myself worse, but I'm feeling like those dogs who can't stop licking an infected wound.  Maybe it's time for a cone of shame.  :-(

#150 of 220 Old 04-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Was in so much pain last night from something I pulled in my leg that it kept me from getting to sleep.  Rest seems to be the order of the day.  Climbing the walls from purge withdrawal:

- did needlework

- did needlework

- did needlework

- did needlework

Sooo.. MariaMadly, did you do any needlework today?  I can't tell.  :wink  Really, I hope you were able to rest your leg and that it is feeling better tomorrow.  I know how you feel about not being able to get up and move around.  It's so frustrating, isn't it?  Oh, and son is 12 so no, I don't want him going into DC quite yet.  First off, the metro is a 20 minute drive away.  Then it's another probably 30-40 minute metro ride in.  When the metro opens near us (in a couple months the new metro station will only be like a mile from us!  YAY!) then it would be easier for me to think about him going in by himself or with a friend.  I highly doubt he would go in by himself though.  I think he'd feel too anxious about it.

I didn't get nearly enough done today that was on my to-do list.  I'm still feeling a little low.  I wish I would perk up already.

*Woke early (6:15am) to greet DD2's friend.  Her mom worked early and her dad was out of town.  Still didn't work out.  I showered instead.

*Did more cleaning up of stuff and stripped sheets off the beds to wash (it's been embarrassingly long since I've done that!).  Son cleaned their bathroom and brought up laundry.

*Did some catching up on school work.

*Made sure son did another math lesson.  I researched L/A curriculum and narrowed it down to two choices.  I hate spending money without mulling over it extensively, though.

*Read about Kafka's life with son.  I think I need a more child oriented biography.  This is a good one, but written for adults.  Hm.  

*Ate lunch- leftover soup from yesterday.

*Took son to DJ mix lab to practice on their equipment.  I studied at the Starbucks next door.  It was PACKED today and noisy.

*When son was done, we went grocery shopping and spent way too much and I didn't even buy meat, except two rotisserie chickens.  Kitchensqueen, I think maybe I should hire you to shop for me.  ;)

*Put groceries away, greeted girlies home from school.  

*Went for a walk with both dogs and DD1.  She showed me the temporary route they would have to bike to school until the trail is open again (the school is under renovations and the trail they normally take is closed.  I wouldn't let them ride until I knew where they would be riding since it's on a main road during rushhour)

*Played ball with the ever energetic nonobadbordercollie (she is NEVER tired... except maybe now, she is sleeping at my feet!)

*Now husband took son to lax and I just put dinner in the oven- some chicken enchilada thing- and I am contemplating working a bit.  Where did my day go?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page