Help me find a place to live please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are currently in Europe, but are seriously considering going back to the Us.

What we would like:

- We need a place where my DH can work as a consultant, teacher, trainer and coach in Human Resources and where there are plenty of opportunities to do so. I.e. banks, insurances, tech companies.

- we would like to live in a relatively urban area where there are neighborhoods within the city

- Rather worm and sunny climate (health issues)

- Universities not too far away (as a future employer for me)

- Community with a relaxed and open-minded lifestyle

- Home schooling community available (considering it)

- kid friendly with farmers markets, lots of outdoor activities (i.e. in the woods) for kids, etc. not too far away from the city

- low to middle COL (here lays the problem ;-)

We were thinking about the Research Triangle Park Area.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

#2 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Hello Daisy :)

Though I no longer keep in touch with a family my aunt and I knew well who lived in America, I remember how happy they were since moving to Dayton area in Ohio. They used to live in California, but the state's weather was unbearably hot during summer. They moved to stay at a relative's smallholding that was situated close to a state park in Dayton area. Over the months we chatted they told me how verdant and green Ohio State was and how nice Dayton's shopping areas were. Dayton has its own universities. One university that stood head and shoulders above the rest was Wright State University

Last winter this family experienced considerable snow, and ice strorms plus fog. Understandably they were unhappy about the seasonal weather, but then I was reliably told the rest of America suffered very badly indeed. Dayton has its own airport, but I would guess that most large American cities do.

My aunt and I broke contact with them over personal issues. However, my lasting impression was that Dayton was really quite lovely. Plenty of state parks for children to enjoy. Not too hot in summertime I remember them saying, and good eduaction opportunities for kids.

I do hope you and your family will find happiness wherever you go.

Alex

#3 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

The Pacific Northwest isn't sunny, but winters are less severe, so I'm raising the area just-in-case.  Portland, OR, might be approachable, depending on the kind of neighborhood you'd like.  Other cities in Oregon, Corvallis, Bend, Eugene, maybes as well.  The winters get cold but mostly above freezing if I recall -- don't know your minimums.  Seattle, WA, too, but I think it may cost a bit more.  (I'm in northern New England, so other parts of the country seem relatively mild, but I do realize we've normalized some really cruddy conditions this winter!)

Sunnier areas, was thinking Research Triangle before getting to that part of your post -- great minds!  Austin, TX, again I think CoL could be a factor.

Have you tried some of the subforums in this http://www.mothering.com/community/f/76/moms-in-your-area part of MDC?

Also, I found this http://blog.estately.com/2013/07/17-best-u-s-cities-for-hippies/ endearing.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#4 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Austin, Texas area has pretty much everything on your list.  It gets crazy hot during the summer, but the rest of the year is very mild and beautiful.  We have several farmer's markets. 
I do not know a lot about the jobs your husband is looking for, but we have several tech companies, my husband works for National instruments, there is also Dell, IBM, Apple and sevel others.   We have the University of Texas in Austin.  I have heard that we rank pretty low for major cities as far as COL goes.  Though most of Texas is rather conservative, Austin is quite liberal minded. 

Houston, Texas would also maybe be worth checking out.  They do not have as many tech companies, but they would still probably have some of the other types of jobs your husband is looking for.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#5 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Austin and RTP are similar, but Austin has a better arts scene. RTP is uber family-friendly. Lots of suburban neighborhoods, but there is a great homeschooling community in Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro. 

What is your price point? RTP is not super low — more sort of middle of the road. Not high like California or the northeast cities. If you're wanting very low you might look at somewhere in the Midwest like Iowa — I have a friend who used to teach at Iowa State in Des Moines and I think it was really a lovely community, although colder than you're wanting. Maybe Arkansas? 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#6 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so so much for taking the time to write all your responses!

We are looking for somewhere that is similar to the RTP area. Maybe up and coming and therefore not as "expensive"? If I had to say, my ideal price range (which is not the same as my husbands :wink is no more than $1000 a month rent for a smallish 3 bedroom house in a city neighborhood with a library, kid friendly, homeschool community etc. Right now we can only rent, but it would be nice if housing prices in the area wouldn't be insane so that there would be at least hope to buy one day.

I'm going to look into Austin and the Pacific Northwest. Thank you!

My husband has ruled out the Dayton area in Ohio. He thinks it's too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Mmmmh...

#7 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in Portland, Oregon. A 2-3 bedroom house here in a decent (not swanky, but safe) family friendly neighborhood will likely not be less than $1500. Seattle costs more. Smaller/more rural towns cost less, but offer less in the way of employment opportunities. Olympia, Washington or Salem, Oregon might work for you as far as places in the PNW. They both have universities and are close to larger urban centers.
This last winter was pretty cold here, but we only had a week of snow and most of the time the temp was in the 40s (Fahrenheit). Generally winters are wet but not too cold, and summers are mostly in the 80s with only a week or two much hotter.
I've lived in Oregon or Washington my whole life pretty much. Happy to answer any questions.
HTH!

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#8 of 13 Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTurtle View Post

I live in Portland, Oregon. A 2-3 bedroom house here in a decent (not swanky, but safe) family friendly neighborhood will likely not be less than $1500. Seattle costs more.

Only $1,500 for a 2-3 bedroom house?? My goodness! O.O

As for Seattle. . .. umbrella salesmen must be millionaires.

#9 of 13 Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well you can find them cheaper than that (maybe $1200) but not necessarily in a neighborhood you would want to raise a family in. And of course you could easily pay double that, or more.
We live in an ok area, full of families, but right near a neighborhood called "felony flats". We pay about $1500 for a 3 bedroom house (detached) with a 2 car garage, large fenced yard and a garden shed. We can walk to a couple parks and public transportation, but shops/libraries/restaurants we have to drive 5-20 minutes to get to.

Seattle is gray and wet, but not as bad as it seems. I doubt it's much rainier than London. Also, the locals in the PNW don't use umbrellas. wink1.gif

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#10 of 13 Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM

All the same, extremely good value, especially for a young couple starting out. Over here up Worthing way, even in a similar area as you described, mortgage lenders expect a minimum of 10% of the value of a property. Typically, the starting price for a 2-bedroom link-detached in Findon and you're looking at -

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/32287001

0_o

As for Seattle, I jest. Last winter in my country saw so much rain that anyone, anywhere, might as well have worn flippers.

LTurtle likes this.
#11 of 13 Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I will say that Texas is a good place to live.  Houston, Dallas, & Austin all have LOTS of businesses, (Tech, Oil & Gas, Energy, etc).  All have homeschooling communities, and great suburbs outside of the main city.  Farmers markets, and just private growers that you can buy from (there is a lot of land in Texas, so people grow all sorts of things).  If you are not worried about school districts, there is an abundance of housing in all those areas at affordable rates.  If you want to consider schooling, then Google Texas school reports, and you can compare standardized test scores, make up of the schools, staffing ratios, etc.

There are more universities in Dallas & Houston, but Austin is crunchier as a whole.  You can find midwives, and alternative medicine providers in all 3.  My sis, cousin, & I are all fairly crunchy mamas and we are all happy in our Texas cities (Houston, Dallas & Austin).

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#12 of 13 Old 04-14-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just to update this thread. Thanks again for all your responses! We've decided on the RTP area. We will be visiting the area next month and check it out :)  I'm soooo excited.

I think, I'm going to start a new thread in the "Find your tribe" area to ask for more help on finding the right neighborhood, etc.

BeckyBird likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
There's lots of lovely areas within a 30 minute drive of RTP. I think you will really like it here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page