Vinyl Collecting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-14-2014, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone else here collect vinyl? Old LPs from the 1960's onwards or specific decades? You would be surprised how much a Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon LP in pristine condition would be worth today. I started collecting vinyl three years ago and have quite a collection now, running to ver 1,000

Mum has a massive collection of records going back to the late 60, 70's and some of Buddy Holly and earlier, Swing. She has a tube amplier and fine record deck, says compared to CDs' rather clinical sound, vinyl records sound sweeter, warmer and close to the original studio source when the bands and singers first recorded. She sought records out of love, not for profit though many of these old albums are highly sought after. Being an audiophile, hers are near-perfect or mint condition, whereas mine have a few scratches, but some are in mint condition (and out of reach of our kids). ;-)

I haggle over prices from good condition to mint vinyl LPs and 45's from thrift shops, boot fairs and flea markets. My favourites are, in no particular order:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie, 1972 on RCA records - fine condition
Goodbye, by Cream, 1969 on Polydor Records - fine condition

Agincourt Fly Away 1970 Merlin: Refernce HF 3 - mint, worth £750

Black Sabbath Master Of Reality 1971 Vertigo - worth £300 in mint
The Clash, (self titled) 1977 on CBS Records - medium condition
London Calling, by The Clash 1979 by on Legacy records not CBS - mint

Van Morrison Astral Weeks 1969 Warner Brothers - worth £150

Gioconda De Vito Bach Violin Concerto In E Major/Mozart Violin Concerto No 3 In G 1950s: Reference HMV ASD 429 £500
Highway 61 by Bob Dylan on Columbia Records, 1965 - mint, bought in a boot fair for just a fiver
AC/DC Highway to Hell 1979 on Atlantic - mint
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin on Atlantic, 1969 fine condition and worth ££££s

King Crimson Court Of The Crimson King, good cond, worth £250
Sex Pistols' Nevermind The Bo****ks 1977
and God Save The Queen 1977: Reference A&M AMS 7284 which mum says is really offensive, (hahahaa - of course it is! :rotflmao) mint condition and is worth a LOT. I'm not saying how much. And it's not for sale. :wink

Start collecting, gals. Most are not expensive though you'll have to haggle. In a few year's time you could end up with a collection worth an absolute bomb.

#2 of 2 Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I do not collect vinyl but we do have some at home that are sentimental to DW. A few Elvis albums and such.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page