Do you give to charity? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you? I give to Cancer Research UK.

Today I went to a WI meeting; Women's Institute. There among the regs I brought up the subject of ways of donating to charity. One of the old ladies there said she makes pots of fruit jam to sell, these costing a reasonable price but, her raw ingredients' price barely covered the selling price with more than a little profit, all going to charity. Someone else snarked, 'You'd be better off chucking money into a charity box', to which the old lady replied, 'Oh no. It's what I love doing for our community. Putting money in the box is far too easy.'

The old lady derived as much satisfaction for raising money as I do for playing my 12 string Taylor Koa Koa at Brighton's Churchill Square, north side. . ..this Saturday at 11 O'clock sharp. See you there, folks! :thumb

#2 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I give to MamaBaby Haiti when I can. I like to donate things to our local crisis pregnancy center; they have a resource closet for moms and babies.

Spiderpig likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Absolutely. We donate to our local food pantry serving our community at least twice a month with food, household goods and toiletries. It's my goal to donate a bag of stuff every time we do a grocery shop, and with the exception of one week this year (when I was out of state travelling for business) we've managed to pull it off. 

In the fall we donate school supplies to the school drives, and during the Christmas holidays we do extra food donations, as well as donating toys to Toys for Tots, and doing a shoe box for Operation Christmas Child. I'd also like to start donating to Heifer International. Come to think of it, I might start doing that as my annual "birthday present" to myself. :-)

When Little Man gets older, I'll consult with him on the types of donating/volunteering that he feels are important, and we will add accordingly. He got really excited this year to help me do the shoe box - we picked out things for a boy in his age group, and he got really into choosing toys and hats and gloves that he thought "the other little boy" would like. It warmed my heart so much to see him in action I cried tears of joy. 

Oh, and this year we'll be doing "Giving Garden" - it's a local program where you donate produce from you garden to the food pantry. Kind of like Row for the Hungry. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I try . It is never enough. Mostly food security organizations, health care and planned parenthood, personal connections.

#5 of 10 Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Our sons' colleges -- costs more per student than full-pay charges; we often stipulate for financial aid.  Crisis center, food pantries, a local environmental preservation group, ACLU.

Time, as well:  I volunteer for a couple of groups involved in advocating for public policy and legislation.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#6 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Absolutely.  I feel wrong and incomplete if I do not donate something regularly.  I set up monthly pledges (to minimize the mail they send me) with several environmental groups.  I give 5% of my annual income to my church in a lump sum as an annual pledge, and I also put the largest bill in my wallet into the collection plate at each service, and I bring food to church events regularly and sometimes buy other things the church needs like a case of paper napkins or some dish detergent (this is also a way of seeing that we use the earth-friendly stuff)--it must total at least the 10% of my income that we're "supposed" to tithe to the church.  I donate to food banks whenever I've over-bought at a sale or bought several packages of something we turned out to dislike...but I'd like to make these donations more often.  We have occasionally had our own yard sale but usually donate unwanted clothes, books, etc. to Goodwill.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Only to environmental charities.

#8 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Our local food co-op has a charity-of-the-month program that members vote on annually.  When our sons were still living at home full-time, we'd discuss the ballot with them and pick our top twelve together as a family (we're pretty much on the same page and haven't changed much since they moved out, by the way).  There's a pretty wide spectrum of recipient types, touching on issues from the tragic to the self-actualizing.  Made for some interesting and valuable conversations.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#9 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, but not in a particularly organised or well-thought-out way. It kinda depends on who managed to guilt-trip us over the phone or outside a supermarket, rather than going through a list of our values and the world's needs and researching the best charities (which I'd do if I won the lottery or something and had a ton to give away.) Between DH and me, we give to - IIRC - Save the Children, World Vision, Intellectually Handicapped Children and some kind of leukemia foundation. We're planning to support a friend when he becomes a missionary later this year, as well. 

In terms of volunteering or making stuff to sell for charity - we don't. I considered knitting vests for preemies at one stage, but I'm a terrible and very slow knitter. Volunteering is next to impossible with small children; I don't drive or navigate well enough for Meals on Wheels; and bake sales have all kinds of legal restrictions here. I do make meals for friends who are sick or have had babies, and that sort of thing, but that's about it for now. When the kids are older, I kinda like the idea of being a support person for women in labour who don't have family or friends to be with them. Kind of a volunteer doula, I guess? I have no idea if that's even a thing or if it'd work, mind you...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

When the kids are older, I kinda like the idea of being a support person for women in labour who don't have family or friends to be with them. Kind of a volunteer doula, I guess? I have no idea if that's even a thing or if it'd work, mind you...

It's a thing. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page