Do you post online reviews for products/services? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I love the fact that online reviews are so readily available through sites like Yelp or Amazon. Sometimes I get too bogged down in the details of reviews and feel like they make the decision harder, but in general they've steered me away from some poor products and toward some great restaurants!

I'm sure some (many?) of the reviews, especially for shops with only a few reviews, are by friends, family, and maybe even paid shills, but once the number of reviews gets into the hundreds or thousands, I figure a good percentage of them have to be legit. Even with legitimate reviews, though, I think people are more driven to post a review after a negative experience than a positive or neutral one, so I keep that in mind when reading reviews.

Anyway, because I value and use online reviews, I've tried to make more of an effort lately to review products/services, whether I thought they were good or bad. I'm pretty bad at remembering to do it, though, and can't figure out how to post a Yelp review from my phone (and hardly ever use my desktop computer), so I only end up actually posting a review maybe 2-3 times a year.

How about you? Do you read reviews? Do they change your mind about purchases? Do you write reviews?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 3 Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes I do read customer reviews on Amazon because they are such a strong selling point. Some are 'paid shills', but we can often tell by their writing stye. I don't have the time to write product reviews on my Amazon account. Wish I could, but reviews do take quite some time to perfect and any inaccuracies will only be negatives for the next buyer. Yelp, I don't participate on.

Some examples that have persuaded me is a Tefal food grater, slashed in price by more than 50%, and I furthered a bargain by buying a used Tefal grater as its previous owner returned it as an unwanted present. That saved me another fiver (bought it for £20.29 instead of £49.99, and customer reviews were good enough to make me buy. Another was a 3Kw Delonghi Dragon 3 oil filled radiator saving me £50 last October. Recent purchase was a Kenwood Chef mixer with all bells and whistles, purchased on the strength of 24 crowing customers.

#3 of 3 Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I use the review section a lot on amazon, so I do try to review things I've gotten there as well.  I will review for both positive and negative products.  I have to admit, I do like when I get a message that one of my reviews helped someone.  :lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page