Where have all the hippie names gone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I'm missing the Good Old Days when no one had a last name and maybe you didn't even know their real name.  As pretentious as it was in some ways, I loved when people chose a name that said "this is what I stand for".  I miss the color.  I miss the Dumpster Daves, the Buddha Johns, the Trees, and the Oceans.  

I almost had a hippie name once--never had one even when I was one.  Sigh,  So boring.  For a joke at a regional Rainbow Gathering back in 1993, I took the name Galaxy but chickened out when people actually started calling me that.  I thought is was a lovely and ironic name, perfect for a dippy hippie girl like me.  But I couldn't do it.  I couldn't be anyone except plain old me.  Even then, no one knew my last name.  

I moved to a different crowd once I started dating my eventual-husband.  Every one had last names and was freshly showered.  I felt weird and all... I don't know... grown up just like my parents.  Ugh.

Did you have a hippie name?  Or a punk rocker name?  Or just some crazy nickname that you took or were given?  Were you a teenybopper in the eighties who changed her name to Siobhan or Siouxsie?

Not to worry if you missed out on the fun, like I kinda did.  Feel free to christen yourself Star or Lake tonight and groove on the free flowing vibes that emanate from that singular thought.

--Galaxy out!  :hippie 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 7 Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I changed my last name xxxman to xxxwoman and have been known by that for awhile. Kind of superhero sounding. Now my kids have the interesting names. So I get to be mom of superhero sounding kind of name. Still works, but I should bring my last name back. Kind of wish I had a girl to share it with.
#3 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a hippy-sounding last name, but it's just my real last name. People sometimes ask me if my parents were hippies because of it. The funny thing is, they actually were hippies, but they gave me a normal first name -- my "hippy" last name is my married name. So it's a total patriarchal, oppressive tradition dressed up as an awesome, peace-and-love type of name. How's that for far-out, man? orngtongue.gif
SweetSilver likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a hippyish last name as well but it's actually an old English name and my parents weren't hippies at all. Some people who see my name before they meet me wonder about it though.

DD1, has given me the name "Cloud" to be used in all games requiring an alternate identity. Does that count? lol.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes, I am a has-been hippie. My "hippie-name" became so much a part of me that I legally changed to that. But many years later, I needed to change my name again (major domestic violence issue), and take a whole new identity. Now I only have about 3 friends left who call me by the hippie name; my family ****l calls me by the first (birth) name. So I am in a perpetual identity crisis, and have to consciously think how to answer when someone asks my name. I have been my present name for 15 years, but it ****l doesn't come naturally off my tongue. I really treasure those last few, oldest, dearest friends who call me R_____ - I think that is really my name, even if I can't type it online for security reasons.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know if this counts but I changed my first hame (which was ironically a hippy-type 70's name) to a Hindu name when I married into that culture. But no one can say it so only the close friends call me that name and the rest use a nickname. As do my co-workers and patients at work. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter's middle names are Moonlilly and Stargazer lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page