Baby Shower Like Event? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you be upset if a party was thrown for the 2/3/4th kids of another family member but not yours
Heck yes 1 10.00%
No, doesn't matter. 6 60.00%
There always has to be an "other" 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

In a family of multiple sisters/sisters-in-law, would you expect them to do roughly the same things for each new baby coming if family circumstances (not a financial strain or health issues) were the same at each new arrival?  I  know many people have a big first shower and sometimes a small (non gift) get together before the arrival of other kids to the same Mom.

#2 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm- I mean, generally for myself I prefer things to be low key and unconsumerist. We had one shower thrown for our first baby, the first grandchild on both sides.

We have most of what we need to have a second babe, but if the next babe is a boy we'll need clothes. Not super worried about that because I prefer simple white onesies/sleepers anyhow, and can thrift the rest (it will be more to our taste that way anyway!! -people were very generous in gifting clothes for DD1, but it was all super pink/sparkly and not our style. I actually prefer the stuff I buy for her from ebay or the consignment shop!!)

I couldn't care less what other sisters-in-law demand to be thrown for them, really. None are married yet but they're pretty materialistic and into their social scene, so it won't surprise me if they each have many unnecessary parties/showers thrown for them. To each her own.

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#3 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I specified non-gift for that reason :) Not a Shower per say but a celebration of the new baby/Moms other pregnancy. 

#4 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So, if my sisters-in-law were thrown parties for each of their children/pregnancies but I specifically wasn't? I suppose I'd be a bit miffed in that case, if only on principle. But I don't really truly care for parties anyhow, at least not ones involving my in-laws, so maybe not. shrug.gif

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wouldn't care but I also wouldn't attend on principal. Showers happen once, to celebrate the mother's transition to motherhood. My sister had more than one. I helped pay for but didn't host her first. I didn't attend the later. I wished and gifted and celebrated the birth but a shower-- no.

If you want more than one and that is the tradition in your extended circle of friends and family is to host them then ask for one.

#6 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

In a family of multiple sisters/sisters-in-law, would you expect them to do roughly the same things for each new baby coming if family circumstances (not a financial strain or health

Yes I would. It is a particular peeve of mine when different member of a family are treated differently. And I don't mean differently as in "everyone is unique so we treat everyone as an individual". Unless someone has already said "please don't give me another baby shower" then everyone should be *offered* the same opportunities. Of course, they should also be allowed to say no thank you without recriminations.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can see the cause for hurt feelings, sure. Technically, though, family members are not supposed to throw showers, and an outsider may be forgiven for differentiating because the friendships are not the same.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page