May 2014 - What did you accomplish today? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 167 Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

I remember when our dryer finally gave it up years ago, I told DH I absolutely didn't want another one.  Between the space, initial cost, and operating expenses plus high energy use, it just wasn't worth it.  Am very interested in your hand washing method!

my "method" if you can call it that, is pretty simple: I have to do laundry in small loads, since I do it in my bathroom sink, but I just put the clothes in the sink of very hot water, put in some hand soap, dish soap, or other soap, and leave it to soak. then, after about 5-10 mins, I take it out, and run some fresh, soap-free water (equally hot). then I rinse it, letting it soak again for abou4-6 mins. then, when it's soap-free, I put it in my laundry basket, and hang it out to dry. hope this helps!

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (20 months), 8 months pregnant with DD 2 , planning another homebirth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
#32 of 167 Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Just after 2PM and I've hit a brick wall here:

- finished my grocery list and sealed up DS2's box

- post office to mail box

- bought groceries

- dropped donation puzzles off at rehab center; they had me fill out a slip so they could send my mother a thank-you card, she'll be so pleased

- home to put away the groceries . . . one of my least favorite things

- had some lunch

- sorted and stored some more toys and puzzles; set aside another huge moving box for DS1

- took a couple of things out to car for next donation run

And now I'm swilling some thrice-heated decaf and waiting for a second wind.

^^^  Was able to fake it, at any rate:

- took out trash and recycling

- took some scrap wood to neighbors' bonfire pile

- walked down for the mail

- did knee PT stretches

- scrubbed down the floor of the tub

- washed the shower curtain and re-hung it (DH picked out these cute-but-PITA hooks, so this really is an accomplishment!)

- started a new pot of decaf

That's it.  Rest of the day is reading and staying awake until bedtime.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#33 of 167 Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the rest of the day I didn't accomplish much at all. Seeing it was a public holiday where family got together en masse, I brought the patio lounger out and did some sunbathing, reading my Kindle while Juni played in the garden with our kiddles. It was such a sweet day and wonderful being out in warm sunshine.

#34 of 167 Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturemama23 View Post

nope- I'm doing it all by hand in my bathroom sink (it's clean, of course).

Wow, how long does it take you to do up all the laundry? We probably have at least 5 loads per week, and I just can't imagine doing it all by hand! 

Work was just unreal today. My email was down so I was basically flying blind. Managing a multi-continent work group without it is, frankly, a real B. Anyhow, after work things improved mightily

- Wrote most of a blog post on the train ride home.  

- Stopped at the park with Little Man and husband on the way home. 

- Made dinner for Little Man and sat with him while he ate, talking about his day.

- Did a massive toy purge while husband kept Little Man occupied. Got rid of an entire garbage bag full of plastic crap that my MIL inundates with, that Little Man never even plays with. 

- Tidied up the kitchen. 

And that's pretty much it for today. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#35 of 167 Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Wow, how long does it take you to do up all the laundry? We probably have at least 5 loads per week, and I just can't imagine doing it all by hand! 

Work was just unreal today. My email was down so I was basically flying blind. Managing a multi-continent work group without it is, frankly, a real B. Anyhow, after work things improved mightily

- Wrote most of a blog post on the train ride home.  

- Stopped at the park with Little Man and husband on the way home. 

- Made dinner for Little Man and sat with him while he ate, talking about his day.

- Did a massive toy purge while husband kept Little Man occupied. Got rid of an entire garbage bag full of plastic crap that my MIL inundates with, that Little Man never even plays with. 

- Tidied up the kitchen. 

And that's pretty much it for today. 

Well, cr@p, sorry about your email!  And I bow to your purging -- you are my inspiration today!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#36 of 167 Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Yesterday got shot to crap. I had lunch in the oven. I had just got out of the shower. Hubby had the baby (who will be 18m next week) with him next door at grandma's. He came in, she was crying. "Mom, she needs you. Look in her mouth. " Somehow I knew it was her teeth. She fell over there and chipped a top, front tooth and damaged the enamel on others. Mom and Dad were about to cry too.
She was listless (though responsive and wanted outside with the puppies all day), she had a low grade fever (99.5º F), and was hurting to much to nurse. I called and left a message with the Dr, but on a Sunday, he didn't call back.
I got her to sleep without nursing, amazing. We watched a Veggie Tale silly song about 20x, then she slept remarkably well from about 8-12. Then she was up an hour. I walked, tried to nurse her, tried to give her a drink from a cup (which she did earlier just fine) but she said it hurt. So we walked around the dark house. More like staggered. Thank God I didn't fall with her. I almost did several times. We slept on the couch from 1 to 5 a.m.
She woke up at 5 and could see the sun was up. She was starved, and she ate blueberries and drank milk. My chi-chis were feeling the lack of nursing. I pumped a whole oz. Impressed? Me either. There felt like a pint in each. I lay her down after a change and walk, she slept an hour, I got like 45 min.
We got up and she ate some more. She had another fever (it would come and go). I called the dr before 8 and got his wife at home. We made an appointment for 10, which was supposed to be my slot to get my test results back. It's rescheduled though because the main test we want is in the lab till at least Thurs. Grr
We took her in. He said she'll be okay in a few days. He said day 2 can be worse than day 1, so don't panic if it is. Provided her temp is below 102ºF, she stays responsive (listless though she be, she screamed when he shined the light in her mouth), she'll be okay. He said there's no dentists he'd recommend if we want cosmetic work done, but we won't bother with that. I could use braces and a cap on an adult tooth that's bent and broken, but I don't want the extra chemicals in my mouth. So since it's a baby tooth, we will just file it in a few days and live with it.
She started nursing this afternoon. "The Girls" thank her. I pumped for 20 min 4 or 5 times. I got 1/2 to 3 oz at a go. This little pro had the knots and soreness out in 5 min per side. Lol If I was a pumper, I would have given up ages ago. This Snaggle Tooth, as my Dad called mine, hurts when she nurses, but for a few days, I'll have to tough it out.

So what did I accomplish today? I guess I earned another Mommy Badge. And I learned not to blame people when accidents happen. I could blame everyone for this, starting with myself for wanting a quiet shower and ending with the people who insisted wood floors with babies around was a great idea. But what good is that? I'd just get bitter and angry. No use in that. Move forward and I was counting my blessings as we walked circles getting her to sleep. It could have been much worse.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#37 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 AM

My right shoulder played up last night and caused sleeplessness even though I'd taken painkillers. Eventually found sleep when Penny got me a cushion to rest my arm on while lieing on my left side. This morning at 7, I was woken by Jack patting my face with his paw. rolleyes.gif Poor dog, he has occasional bouts of spaniel anxiety, so he jumps up on the bed to push his face under the blankets to wake me up.

Juniper's breakfast was being done by Penny. Her boy little Andy was patiently waiting without creating. He's such a lovely little boy. :) And then aunty is taking them over while Penny drives me for my doctor's appointment at 10:30 this morning to discuss autoimmune treatment options for my RA. But it's the not knowing what meds that worries me.

My lovely Timex watch finally gave up and even a new battery couldn't spring it into life. So after the doctor's app we're going to looking for a new one. I already have a sweet little dress watch by Limit, a cheapie. But that won't last 5 minutes in my job, so I'm in the mood to buy something more hefty. As a self-pressie I might just have a little flutter and buy a Breitling, wear it on a leather cuff as it's a big watch, but very fine craftsmanship. It's illogical, but you cannot buy a lady's chronometer because watch makers just don't make them and the model I have in mind is a Breitling Montbrilliant Datora, black face. That timepiece would serve me extremely well and for a great many years to come. Or even a Bremont, but that's a pilot's watch and the only thing I'll be flying soon will be Juni's kite. But ~ we'll see how the day pans out.

Have a good one yourself. :thumb 

#38 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
To the purging queens, Kitchensqueen and MariaMadly... I managed to throw away some old papers in a pile on my floor and organize my homeschool stuff for my son!  :bgbounce  You guys are amazing.  I completely need to purge our basement.  

Yesterday
Worked and submitted my spreadsheet
Helped son with his work
Took him to his appt
Filled my RX and bought batteries for my newfie's collar (it's horrible but better than him breaking into the pantry to eat the food)
Cooked a chicken and shredded it for dinner
swept and tidied the middle level and organized the homeschool stuff
Took daughter to her horseback lesson- she rose a HORSE today, instead of a pony!  Go girlie!  
Home to make Chicken salad for dinner

Watched this show about people who have weird eating habits with the kids.  One woman like ate nothing but cornstarch.. another only ate french fries.  
Read more of our story to them and tucked them in
Helped husband look up good workout music for his boxing routine.  

Have a superfantastic day everyone!

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#39 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Yesterday got shot to crap. I had lunch in the oven. I had just got out of the shower. Hubby had the baby (who will be 18m next week) with him next door at grandma's. He came in, she was crying. "Mom, she needs you. Look in her mouth. " Somehow I knew it was her teeth. She fell over there and chipped a top, front tooth and damaged the enamel on others. Mom and Dad were about to cry too.
She was listless (though responsive and wanted outside with the puppies all day), she had a low grade fever (99.5º F), and was hurting to much to nurse. I called and left a message with the Dr, but on a Sunday, he didn't call back.
I got her to sleep without nursing, amazing. We watched a Veggie Tale silly song about 20x, then she slept remarkably well from about 8-12. Then she was up an hour. I walked, tried to nurse her, tried to give her a drink from a cup (which she did earlier just fine) but she said it hurt. So we walked around the dark house. More like staggered. Thank God I didn't fall with her. I almost did several times. We slept on the couch from 1 to 5 a.m.
She woke up at 5 and could see the sun was up. She was starved, and she ate blueberries and drank milk. My chi-chis were feeling the lack of nursing. I pumped a whole oz. Impressed? Me either. There felt like a pint in each. I lay her down after a change and walk, she slept an hour, I got like 45 min.
We got up and she ate some more. She had another fever (it would come and go). I called the dr before 8 and got his wife at home. We made an appointment for 10, which was supposed to be my slot to get my test results back. It's rescheduled though because the main test we want is in the lab till at least Thurs. Grr
We took her in. He said she'll be okay in a few days. He said day 2 can be worse than day 1, so don't panic if it is. Provided her temp is below 102ºF, she stays responsive (listless though she be, she screamed when he shined the light in her mouth), she'll be okay. He said there's no dentists he'd recommend if we want cosmetic work done, but we won't bother with that. I could use braces and a cap on an adult tooth that's bent and broken, but I don't want the extra chemicals in my mouth. So since it's a baby tooth, we will just file it in a few days and live with it.
She started nursing this afternoon. "The Girls" thank her. I pumped for 20 min 4 or 5 times. I got 1/2 to 3 oz at a go. This little pro had the knots and soreness out in 5 min per side. Lol If I was a pumper, I would have given up ages ago. This Snaggle Tooth, as my Dad called mine, hurts when she nurses, but for a few days, I'll have to tough it out.

So what did I accomplish today? I guess I earned another Mommy Badge. And I learned not to blame people when accidents happen. I could blame everyone for this, starting with myself for wanting a quiet shower and ending with the people who insisted wood floors with babies around was a great idea. But what good is that? I'd just get bitter and angry. No use in that. Move forward and I was counting my blessings as we walked circles getting her to sleep. It could have been much worse.

Oh my gosh, how scary for you and her.  :(  DD1 fell and hit her tooth as a toddler.  The tooth died and the dentist said she could cosmetically whiten it or something.  I don't remember exactly.  But then she said she could also pull it so it didn't become infected.  We opted to pull it.  DD1 had the cutest gap toothed grin for years until the adult tooth came in.  We knew it had died because the tooth turned grey.  I sure hope she is feeling better! 

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#40 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:

well, I do about 1 or 2 small loads per day, depending on how much laundry I need to get done. how many kids do you have if you have more than 1, I understand. it`s only J, DH, the pending baby, and me.

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (20 months), 8 months pregnant with DD 2 , planning another homebirth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
#41 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:

How are you both doing today?

#42 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post

Great, now I'll be tossing and donating stuff just to uphold my rep!  :rotflmao

Which is exactly what ended up happening today, among other things:

- up and early breakfast

- went to yoga class (thanks for the encouragement here!)

- stopped by the co-op, bought a salad and water

- which I ate in a parking spot around the corner from the library; co-op lot was /swamped/ today

- returned a couple of library books

- dropped off yesterday's cubic footage at Goodwill

- home and chatted with mother, we made plans to go shoe shopping for her tomorrow morning

- some French on Duolingo

- scooped up a couple of books to donate

- went through my dresser and purged some things from there, too

- folded laundry and put it away

- did knee PT stretching thing

- started roasting chicken breasts for DH's dinner

- also intermittently watched the wild turkeys in our yard; can't wait to see babies -- so adorable -- like footballs with legs

Now I'm off to check a forecast, it looks as though tomorrow may be my first outdoor laundry load of the season! 

#43 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Well, cr@p, sorry about your email!  And I bow to your purging -- you are my inspiration today!

The email thing was kind of a blessing in disguise in the end... I got to pretend for a little while that I don't get a thousand a day! And you're purging/organizing has actually inspired me - a little streamlining will do me a little bit of good, I think. 

Quote:

- went to yoga class (thanks for the encouragement here!)

How did you like your first actual class?

Today was fairly productive at The Place, and my email is fully functional again, a day ahead of IT's estimated schedule. So, win? Yeah, I'll count it as a win. After work, some nice family time and more purging!

- Read a book for review for my blog on the train ride home. 

- Built a new train track with Little Man. 

- Made dinner for Little Man and sat with him while he ate, chit-chatting about... trains! Kid loves the trains. 

- Purged some of the blech books out of Little Man's bookshelf. We're down to a comfortable collection of favorites and classics now, that all properly fit in the his bookcase. 

- Purged some clothes that are no longer my style and fit for Goodwill. I've been working on building a classic, all-purpose wardrobe for a little while now, and I'm just about there. 

- Tidied up the house. 

- Sorted through the mail and browsed a few sale papers. 

- Did the bath and bedtime routine with Little Man. 

- Had dinner with husband. 

Now we're getting ready to settle in and watch the Hawks game. Maybe do a bit of putzing around online too, but mostly relaxing. I should finish the dreaded expense reports I started yesterday (Seriously, why am I always surprised by these things? I know they're coming every single month!), but you know what? There's another work day tomorrow. That's right - work/life balance. I'm taking it back! 

meowmix likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#44 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Oh my gosh, how scary for you and her.  greensad.gif  DD1 fell and hit her tooth as a toddler.  The tooth died and the dentist said she could cosmetically whiten it or something.  I don't remember exactly.  But then she said she could also pull it so it didn't become infected.  We opted to pull it.  DD1 had the cutest gap toothed grin for years until the adult tooth came in.  We knew it had died because the tooth turned grey.  I sure hope she is feeling better! 

Aww, I'm hoping it doesn't gray, but I'm prepared for it. I'm hoping I can rebuild enamel somehow to strengthen the cracked stuff.
Quote:

How are you both doing today?

She had a great morning and a lousy early afternoon. She's about ready for bed. I've spent the day on school, taking care of her and playing catch up on house and laundry.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#45 of 167 Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thawing pork chops for dinner. Threw rest of sweet potatoes in crockpot. Couple loads of laundry being done as I type. Spot mopped, cleaned bathrooms, and vacuumed bedrooms. Just looked up directions for creating a mosaic table- I got some free stained glass from freecycle and have an old end table Id like to use on our patio. I will probably start out on it in the next month. Generally a lazy day around here though. We ran around a lot this weekend and Mon.
#46 of 167 Old 05-07-2014, 05:35 AM

Maria, please, when you finish purging and are feeling the urge, I'll send you my address.  I have lots to purge!  LOL!

First off, I have to say.. it's picture day today at school and my DD1, who is almost 11, is wearing MY clothes from 2 years ago. I can't believe that 1. I used to be able to wear that (it was before my arthritis flare up and a time I was major calorie counting and working out a lot so I was a comfortably smallish size 6)  2. My daughter is big enough to wear my clothes.  But she looks oh so pretty today!  I redid her pink hair this morning, too, she wouldn't have faded hair for her picture.  And I'm playing Pharell's Happy- love the video, too- and it's been a busy hectic but good morning!

Yesterday 

Worked a bit and asked my boss a few questions about my spreadsheet

Chiropractor appointment

Studied a while

Had a long talk with son about some stuff (why do I pay a therapist? heh).  Also went over his math lesson with him, which he didn't understand.

Set up google docs so that he and I could share his school work.  He sent me his spelling words and I commented on them. 

Took nonobadbordercollie on a training walk.  It took a while, but by the end of the first mile she was walking on a flat collar without pulling!  YAY!  Training a non food motivated dog is TOUGH.

Took daughter to her friend's house

Took son to lax practice (omg, with rushhour, it took an HOUR to get there and back!)

Did 30 minutes of P90x arms.

Cooked dinner.  We didn't eat until almost 8:30pm.  Ugh. What time do you guys eat dinner?

Helped kids find something for picture day.  My kids dress up once a year- on picture day.  I don't know why they won't dress up at any other time.  Consequently, DD1 owns like NO skirts because she refuses to wear them. So she borrows mine.

Watched Continuum and went to bed!

#47 of 167 Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So far not much. Threw some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot. When they cook through I will shred them for broccoli chicken casserole. Went through all the online grocery adds for our shopping. Now I need to finish up the menu for the week and figure out how much running around we are really interested in over the weekend lol. Im about to strip sheets on our bed for a spin through the washer and after that Im going to look up some yummy banana ice cream recipes.
#48 of 167 Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:

How did you like your first actual class?

Today was fairly productive at The Place, and my email is fully functional again, a day ahead of IT's estimated schedule. So, win? Yeah, I'll count it as a win. After work, some nice family time and more purging!

Now we're getting ready to settle in and watch the Hawks game. Maybe do a bit of putzing around online too, but mostly relaxing. I should finish the dreaded expense reports I started yesterday (Seriously, why am I always surprised by these things? I know they're coming every single month!), but you know what? There's another work day tomorrow. That's right - work/life balance. I'm taking it back! 

Loved it, thank you!  Since I was the only person both times and the instructors kindly tailored things to a creaky-51-y.o.-newb.  I am sore in a very good way today.  And yay for work-life balance!  I have to say, your various names for your workplace make me think of something sinister and Lovecraftian.  Close?

Quote:

Aww, I'm hoping it doesn't gray, but I'm prepared for it. I'm hoping I can rebuild enamel somehow to strengthen the cracked stuff.
She had a great morning and a lousy early afternoon. She's about ready for bed. I've spent the day on school, taking care of her and playing catch up on house and laundry.

Poor girl, hope she's on the mend, and that you're able to catch your breath soon.

Quote:

Maria, please, when you finish purging and are feeling the urge, I'll send you my address.  I have lots to purge!  LOL!

First off, I have to say.. it's picture day today at school and my DD1, who is almost 11, is wearing MY clothes from 2 years ago. I can't believe that 1. I used to be able to wear that (it was before my arthritis flare up and a time I was major calorie counting and working out a lot so I was a comfortably smallish size 6)  2. My daughter is big enough to wear my clothes.  But she looks oh so pretty today!  I redid her pink hair this morning, too, she wouldn't have faded hair for her picture.  And I'm playing Pharell's Happy- love the video, too- and it's been a busy hectic but good morning!

Yesterday 

Worked a bit and asked my boss a few questions about my spreadsheet

Chiropractor appointment

Studied a while

Had a long talk with son about some stuff (why do I pay a therapist? heh).  Also went over his math lesson with him, which he didn't understand.

Set up google docs so that he and I could share his school work.  He sent me his spelling words and I commented on them. 

Took nonobadbordercollie on a training walk.  It took a while, but by the end of the first mile she was walking on a flat collar without pulling!  YAY!  Training a non food motivated dog is TOUGH.

Took daughter to her friend's house

Took son to lax practice (omg, with rushhour, it took an HOUR to get there and back!)

Did 30 minutes of P90x arms.

Cooked dinner.  We didn't eat until almost 8:30pm.  Ugh. What time do you guys eat dinner?

Helped kids find something for picture day.  My kids dress up once a year- on picture day.  I don't know why they won't dress up at any other time.  Consequently, DD1 owns like NO skirts because she refuses to wear them. So she borrows mine.

Watched Continuum and went to bed!

Unlike nonobadbordercollie, I am indeed food motivated, so purging at your house should go great for both of us!  Hope your DS is doing well -- heh, I hear you about therapists.  And fingers crossed for a picture outcome that pleases all of you, I loved picture day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

So far not much. Threw some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot. When they cook through I will shred them for broccoli chicken casserole. Went through all the online grocery adds for our shopping. Now I need to finish up the menu for the week and figure out how much running around we are really interested in over the weekend lol. Im about to strip sheets on our bed for a spin through the washer and after that Im going to look up some yummy banana ice cream recipes.

Crock pot dinner here too!  Uhh, yeah, a menu for the week would be a great idea, I find myself "improvising" way too often.  Which is one of today's accomplishments:

- washed and hung a load of laundry, indoors so I wouldn't have to race out for it at dinner time

- then out the door with my mother:

- shoe store where I talked her into letting me pay for half her pair of Dansko clogs ("which one, left or right?")

- kitchen store where we bought a hand-powered meat grinder . . . sausage making is in my near future

- jeweler for a pair of plain ball earrings because I lost mine; mother talked with the owner about sausage making, I love this town

- home, loaded crock pot with frozen pork, onions, mushrooms, spices

- up to the attic, turned two large cardboard boxes of toys into one small plastic bin

- hit a brick wall and sat down in recliner just-for-a-minute, ended up napping

- PT

- poked around European house listings on Country Life's website, wow

- walked down for the mail

Last night DS1 and DS2 both IM chatted, so my headcount came out just the way I wanted.  This evening is just quiet kicking around, looks like.  Oh!  And DH has been doing a little purging, too, and moving some things around so we can get rid of an old credenza.  I'm contagious!!!

#49 of 167 Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 PM

I don't know how anyone stays up past 10pm.  I'm beat!  Oh, Maria, I do see a huge value in therapists (I would like to be one but that is probably why I am wondering why I am paying for one  heehee.)  However, sometimes the person he needs to talk to needs to be someone who isn't "mom". :)

Today:

Re-Dyed DD1's hair pink streaked for pictures.

Regretfully killed a spider in the bathtub with, no joke, mouthwash and body wash because I couldn't find the bug spray and DD1 had been in the shower when she saw it and I am arachiphobic so we were one big freak out family.

Walked the kids to school with nonobadbordercollie 

Chatted with a friend for a bit over coffee

Worked a bit

It was pouring rain so I made a quick soup for lunch

Took son to the store to window shop for DJ equipment, as promised (he finished school early to do so)

Picked up milk order and brought it home and put it away

Made hot chocolate

Took son to homeschool class

Picked up daughter early from school for therapy. 

Came home and helped husband make dinner (hashbrowns, eggs with sausage, strawberries)

Took girls to school Talent show which was so much fun and too cute!  

Read to the kids and tucked them in

Now I just finished working a bit and I am tired.  I didn't even get to study OR work out today.  Argh!

#50 of 167 Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I don't know how anyone stays up past 10pm.  I'm beat! 

Starting this day in a strange state I've brought on myself:  stayed up reading until almost 4:00 AM.  My "adjusted expectations accomplishments" so far are:

- got up and made the bed

- had breakfast

- went over online bank activity

- took a shower

- now I'm resting

No driving planned, since I only got about four hours of sleep and caught myself making mistakes with a fork and knife.  My list today is mostly easy stuff:  take out the trash, move boxes around the attic to reach the next things I want to purge.  I'll come back and report if my garbage can somehow ends up next to my kids' Brio trains and stuffed animals, OK?

- spent twenty minutes on the phone ordering up a paper mailing of annuity info for my mother

- did manage to purge another box -- frames and pictures this time

- PT

- moved boxes that need decisions from DS1 and DS2 over to their new corner

- thinned out a bunch of college admissions papers for DS2 (he told me what he wanted to keep)

- took donations out to the car

Now almost 7:00 PM, and it's great that no driving was planned for today . . . just noticed my license expired a couple of weeks ago.  I have never turned the f-bomb into so many different parts of speech at once.  So DH is taking me to the DMV first thing, and we'll see if I can make it to a yoga class right after that.

#51 of 167 Old 05-08-2014, 04:48 PM

I did my bi weekly grocery run. Spent my world record in Dollar Tree, $64. Wow. But I got a lot that I planned to get in Walmart so I saved money, right? That's why I only go in there a few times a year. Lol My prior record was probably $35.
Before that, I washed the car while holding the baby. Maybe next time I'll use the drive through one. We live on 1 1/2 miles of gravel and sand, frequently being doused with irrigation sprinklers, so there isn't a lot of point in it. Except that I feel better and don't get my skirt filthy getting in and out in town.
I ended up carrying the little girl through Walmart check out, Safeway (where she fell asleep, I need to start bringing my carrier with if it's cutting it close to nap time. Haven't in 6 months, but this was crazy and my arms burnt), and I held her through half of Lowes. Then she screamed about half of the 40 min trip home. Joy.
Most of the stuff is put away, she was cranky and didn't even want dad when he got home. She finally passed out on me here in the rocker. Now my knees hurt from rocking so long and not being in a great position. And I'm hungry !

#52 of 167 Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Now almost 7:00 PM, and it's great that no driving was planned for today . . . just noticed my license expired a couple of weeks ago.  I have never turned the f-bomb into so many different parts of speech at once.  So DH is taking me to the DMV first thing, and we'll see if I can make it to a yoga class right after that.

I did just this thing a few months ago! I'd been driving around on an expired license for over a month before I noticed! And I reason I noticed was I happened to get a new teller at the bank that didn't recognize me, and she lectured me about having expired ID and how they wouldn't honor it again... so yeah. 

Nice day here, after work. I decided to work from home, which was great because I actually got some stuff done. After work - 

- Tidied up the house a bit. 

- Went out (solo!) and bought myself a pair of sandals. 

- Husband's aunt came by to watch Little Man so we could go out. Went to Panera for dinner, then out to the movie to see The Winter Soldier. It was really good!

Now we're home and having a little mini nightcap before bed. 

#53 of 167 Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 AM

MrsKoehn- That's a lot in the Dollar Tree!  What kind of stuff did you get?  I don't think I've ever found that much stuff there.  I did do a dog theme birthday party for DD2 one year and found all kinds of cheap pet supplies there (dog bowls for snacks, leashes and collars for their stuffed dogs they brought to the party, etc).

Kitchensqueen- it's always nice to go for a night out without any kids!  It's been too long since I've done that with my husband. I've heard good things about the winter soldier.  

I've been having a tough few days and so I made a deliberate effort to get out and felt much better at the end of the day.

*Worked a bit

*Replied to some schoolwork on son's google drive that he shares with me

*He is going through the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens workbook so we went over what his goals were and how to achieve them.

*Finished my chapter and posted an answer to the question on the discussion board.

*Made lunch.  

*Went with son to take nonobadbordercollie for an offleash walk in the woods.  She loves being a wild dog.

*Went to the boxing gym with son and tried out husband's boxing class.  We were his guinea pigs.  omg, it was a good workout.  I miss being part of a gym community.  

*Came home sweaty and exhausted.  Changed into a dry shirt and met the girls at the bus.

*Went to the soccer field with DD2, son, my friend and her daughter to practice lax. DD1 stayed home with her friend to make mother's day cards for the retirement home.

*Friends invited us to dinner (they paid) so I got as cleaned up as I could and we all spent a few hours at dinner with them.

*Got ice cream for the kids (okay, everyone but me, who didn't want any)

*Late when we got home so tucked the kids in and watched 24 with husband and went to bed!  

I accomplished no housework yesterday.  Today I lamented that I wanted someone to just come and clean the house and DD2 exclaimed that that would be a great idea.  I said I would have to go back to work to afford it and she was okay with that (like, my desire for a cleaning service was actually a serious comment and her reply was serious).  Hm. Life really is expensive right now.  It's stressful.  I don't know, though, but I might keep my eye out for something that pays more than 10/hour.  I should talk to my friend who got me my current job just as an informational chat.

#54 of 167 Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM

I can drive again!!!  So I did.

- up and out early with DH, he took me to the DMV to get me street-legal again

- dropped him at work

- dropped off donations

- returned library books

- went out to breakfast

- tried to see about getting cloth luggage tags monogrammed, but they're too small for the machinery

- bought DH and his colleague some single-source coffee

- got a sack of groceries

- put them away

No yoga today, I was still in line at the DMV twenty minutes away when class started, so it's YouTube to the rescue later.  More attic work, moving boxes mostly.  And a little desktop reorg downstairs here.  We have an inbox with random papers, small electronics, and miscellany, and an open concept living area.  I told DH if I'd wanted to decorate in the style of Contemporary Office Supply Store, I would've used a Staples catalog as an idea book rather than Not So Big House.  So this afternoon the random cr@p is all finding a home out of sight.

#55 of 167 Old 05-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I can drive again!!!  So I did.

No yoga today, I was still in line at the DMV twenty minutes away when class started, so it's YouTube to the rescue later.  More attic work, moving boxes mostly.  And a little desktop reorg downstairs here.  We have an inbox with random papers, small electronics, and miscellany, and an open concept living area.  I told DH if I'd wanted to decorate in the style of Contemporary Office Supply Store, I would've used a Staples catalog as an idea book rather than Not So Big House.  So this afternoon the random cr@p is all finding a home out of sight.

I used to watch a comedy show where the entrance to hell was at the DMV.  There's no such thing as an easy trip there.  I hope you weren't stuck there too long!  

Woke up late.  Argh.

DD2 late for school, had to drive her.

Gave son a spelling test.  He did quite poorly.  sigh

Worked.

Ate lunch.

Picked up girls from school early and we all went for overdue and early well visits at the doctor's.

Went to Radio Shack with kids to see if they had a cable for son that will connect his laptop to his musical DJ thing.  They didn't but they knew what he was talking about.

Went to Best Buy to see if THEY had the cable.  They didn't even know what he was talking about AND they stared at him like they were all stoned.  sigh.  Big Box stores.  ugh.

Came home and girlies got snacks.  Friend said she would take DD2 to lax.  I took her up on it.

Took DD1 to a friend's.  DD1 has a party planning business and they needed to bake cupcakes.

Came home and *I* baked a chocolate cake.

Chatted with husband about filing some needed receipts for insurance lest we pay thousands this month before we're refunded some of the money.

Now I am about to try to work another hour before making dinner (mac n cheese and hotdogs!).  Then we'll watch a movie and go to bed early because tomorrow we run!

#56 of 167 Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Bought DS2's plane ticket home!  Squee!

#57 of 167 Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Kitchensqueen- it's always nice to go for a night out without any kids!  It's been too long since I've done that with my husband. I've heard good things about the winter soldier.  

You should go see it - it was so good!

Meh nigh here, since I had to go grocery shopping. 

- Stopped into Cost Plus for affordable dolma, but they were terribly overpriced. 

- Stopped at Goodwill and found a pair of jeans for myself. 

- Went grocery shopping. 

- Put away most of the groceries. 

- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man. 

And now I'm going to watch the Hawks game with husband, and probably fall asleep halfway through it...

#58 of 167 Old 05-10-2014, 04:16 PM

My day didn't not go as planned, due to my sister's inability to be a considerate human being. Every time - and I do mean every time - we have plans, she can never show up on time. She can show up on time for everything and everyone else, but apparently not for me. She was an hour and a half late, so we didn't end up doing half of what we intended to today. And they had to cut their visit short because they had somewhere else to be. Very annoying. 

- Dropped husband off at work. 

- Cleaned the stove. 

- Loaded the dishwasher and set it to wash. 

- Tidied the house. 

- Sister's family came to visit. 

- Went to Dollar Tree. Was excited to find the plastic scoops I was need for my bulk bins - 2 pack for a dollar, so cheaper than Container Store!

- Went to Lowes to pick up things for the garden - two bundles of surveyor stakes, and 6 6-foot wooden poles for a bean teepee. 

- Went to Meijer because husband said they had some plants on clearance. Picked up a blueberry for $2.65, strawberries for $2.65 and 80 yellow onion sets for a dollar. Also found plain reed diffuser sticks for $1 for a package of 10 (for my home made room scents). 

- Picked husband up from work. 

- Called to place a carry out order for dinner. 

Somewhere in between Lowes and Meijer my back went to hell - so I'm basically going to hang out on the couch for the rest of the night. Good times. 

#59 of 167 Old 05-10-2014, 06:07 PM

well, right now it's 10:00 pm,  I've got J into bed, and DH is watching hockey on TV. today I've been feeling crappy, so it was all I could do to do a load of laundry, play half-heartedly with DD, and hand her over to hubby when he got home, but for now I'm feeling better. hope tomorrow's better

night-night!

#60 of 167 Old 05-11-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturemama23 View Post

well, right now it's 10:00 pm,  I've got J into bed, and DH is watching hockey on TV. today I've been feeling crappy, so it was all I could do to do a load of laundry, play half-heartedly with DD, and hand her over to hubby when he got home, but for now I'm feeling better. hope tomorrow's better

night-night!

Hope you slept well and are feeling much better today!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page