May 2014 - What did you accomplish today? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2014, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Sorry to hear you're in a rough spot. Have you tried the "fake it until you make it" attitude? Literally forcing yourself to do things until it becomes part of your routine and easier to get over the hurdle? Not the easiest path, but might be worth thinking about. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

- spent way too much time looking at for-sale listings for old cottages in Scotland -- so pretty!

Might read a little bit now, and early to bed.  This weekend I plan to learn to use the lawnmower!  (Yes, the sedative from Wednesday has worn off.  :)  )

Kitchensqueen- yup.  That's what I am doing now.  :) My therapist also mentioned giving myself permission not to be sad for a while.  Which, if I am firm with myself, does work sometimes, too. If I can feel accomplished- and doing housework does not cut it- then I notice my mood lifts.  I forced myself to get out to the movies and that quality time with my son was GREAT.  Then he slept all afternoon because he wasn't feeling well and I was able to get my paper finished so THAT felt really good.  So I didn't feel so down and weepy last night.  (And son woke up feeling fine, thankfully).  

MariaMadly- I have done the SAME THING with houses in various places.  Alaska, Scotland, Italy... I love day dreaming about idyllic life in other places.  heh.  Good luck using the lawn mower today!  Don't mow over your foot or anything.  heehee..

So yea, my day yesterday was easy:

*Went to see Godzilla with son, who was thrilled to be seeing a movie on a Friday morning when other kids were in school.  heh

*We came home and his stomach hurt and he had a headache, I'm blaming no breakfast and eating candy at the movie.  He slept like 2.5 hours

*While he slept, I worked on one paper due Sunday

*He woke up and he and I chatted about his upcoming essay next week and he requested I provide him with some guidelines on how to write a good essay.

*He worked on some school work and I worked on my paper.

*Finished!!!! 

*DD1 home and I painted her nails- I did a cupcake on her thumbs.  Too cute.  And put a bit of makeup on her and made her look all fancy for the party she was going to.  She looked very much herself... pretty dress, minimal makeup (she requested I put just a tiny bit on), funky nails and cowboy boots.  heh.  I loved it!

*Tidied the kitchen and thought about dinner.  And thought about it.  And was uninspired and didn't feel like cooking.

*Husband came home and we ordered subs from a nearby pizza place.

*Ate that and watched a movie for movie night.

*We ALL went to bed right after the movie because we were tired.  Except nonobadbordercollie, who refused to come inside and stood out there and stared at me while I called her until I offered her a treat.  Then she ran away from me when I told her to "go to bed" (a command that means to go upstairs and lie in her dog bed beside our bed).  She is such a nonobadbordercollie!  heh

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post

Kitchensqueen- yup.  That's what I am doing now.  :) My therapist also mentioned giving myself permission not to be sad for a while.  Which, if I am firm with myself, does work sometimes, too. If I can feel accomplished- and doing housework does not cut it- then I notice my mood lifts.  I forced myself to get out to the movies and that quality time with my son was GREAT.  Then he slept all afternoon because he wasn't feeling well and I was able to get my paper finished so THAT felt really good.  So I didn't feel so down and weepy last night.  (And son woke up feeling fine, thankfully).  

It sounds like it's helping a bit! At least you recognize that you're going through a tough time and understand that you want to change it for yourself. That can be the hardest part. 

Fairly nice morning here, though the weather is really making me feel terrible. Back pain, body aches - ugh. We had a frost advisory last night! And the garden is a muddy mess. So disappointing. At any rate, for today thus far - 

- Husband let me sleep in until 9:30. We try to trade weekend days. :-)

- Made half home made doughnuts for a breakfast treat. 

- Cleaned the stove. 

- Swept the kitchen floor. 

- Changed the sheets on Little Man's bed. 

- Tidied Little Man's room. 

- Made a sticker collage with Little Man. 

- Read stories with Little Man. 

- Made lunch. 

- Put Little Man down for a nap. 

Still to come this afternoon - 

- Organize the coat closet. It's turned into an avalanche of doom...

- Print coupons. 

- Clean the dreaded glass tables. 

- Vacuum the floor. 

- Write some blog posts. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 05-17-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

It's funny you should say that about mowing over your foot. My Grandpa, may he rest in peace, accidentally did that to the tips of a few of my Dad's toes many years ago.

I am hot, tired, and cranky. I hope my children will calm down a bit and stop trying to sound like Gollum and scaring each other to help me get into a better mood.

Yesterday I helped a friend with groceries, went to a dollar store, and picked blueberries for the third time. I was gone almost all day.

Today I picked blueberries for a fourth and hopefully final (this year) time with my in-laws - and they finally left! :) I made a light lunch and we ate it in the picnic table on our deck outside the kitchen. While they were here I also planted my Mother's Day tulips by our statue of Our Lady out front and carried a couple of big branches to the stick pile. Now I am resting while I try to cool off before I do more cleaning and maybe catch up on some homeschooling.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:

Fairly nice morning here, though the weather is really making me feel terrible. Back pain, body aches - ugh. We had a frost advisory last night! And the garden is a muddy mess. So disappointing.

When do you sow?  You ever start indoors?

Quote:

(And son woke up feeling fine, thankfully).  

MariaMadly- I have done the SAME THING with houses in various places.  Alaska, Scotland, Italy... I love day dreaming about idyllic life in other places.  heh.  Good luck using the lawn mower today!  Don't mow over your foot or anything.  heehee..

*We ALL went to bed right after the movie because we were tired.  Except nonobadbordercollie, who refused to come inside and stood out there and stared at me while I called her until I offered her a treat.  Then she ran away from me when I told her to "go to bed" (a command that means to go upstairs and lie in her dog bed beside our bed).  She is such a nonobadbordercollie!  heh

I've heard we're only as happy as our unhappiest child.

No lawn mowing yet; had to get some other things taken care of in the yard first.  I did help DH change the oil in the mower without getting blown up or anything, so we're off to a good start!

Love hearing about nonobadbordercollie.  I hope she doesn't know how much, that would probably just make things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

It's funny you should say that about mowing over your foot. My Grandpa, may he rest in peace, accidentally did that to the tips of a few of my Dad's toes many years ago.

I am hot, tired, and cranky. I hope my children will calm down a bit and stop trying to sound like Gollum and scaring each other to help me get into a better mood.

Yesterday I helped a friend with groceries, went to a dollar store, and picked blueberries for the third time. I was gone almost all day.

Today I picked blueberries for a fourth and hopefully final (this year) time with my in-laws - and they finally left! :) I made a light lunch and we ate it in the picnic table on our deck outside the kitchen. While they were here I also planted my Mother's Day tulips by our statue of Our Lady out front and carried a couple of big branches to the stick pile. Now I am resting while I try to cool off before I do more cleaning and maybe catch up on some homeschooling.

You have blueberries!!??!!??  Ours don't come in until August.  Sounds busy and hectic out your way, I hope the rest of your day treats you more gently.

Mine has been reasonably productive:

- washed and hung a load of laundry

- packed up returns from a mail order

- found another couple-three things to donate

- met and learned about my new vacuum cleaner

- vacuumed the stairs

- built a pot of soup

- dropped my mother at Mass

- took corrugated to the dump

- dropped returns at FedEx

- got some library books

- bought a couple of groceries at natural food co-op

- brought mother home

- helped DH change the oil on the lawnmower

Probably watching something with DH tonight.  DS1 has us all hooked up -- The Wire is on loan from him, and he got me the third season of Game of Thrones for Mother's Day.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:

When do you sow?  You ever start indoors?

Typically we can get the garden planted by around Mother's Day here, but this year it's been so wet we'll be lucky if we can get in by next week... so only a few weeks late, but that's a long time in the spring! We start seeds indoors each year - this year we started our tomatoes, peppers and peas. We've lost about half the peas already and the tomatoes and peppers are not looking the best - they really need to get planted out. So fingers crossed it stays dry! 

Got a few things done this afternoon, though I did nap part of the time that Little Man was asleep. 

- Organized the coat closet. Now we can find the shoes and tools, and I had room to move our camp chairs in there so we can take them outside when we want to hang out for awhile. 

- Hung two picture nails by the back door book case to use as hat hooks - it's the landing pad for everything when we walk in the house, and I was sick of hats thrown everywhere!

- Put clean dishes away from the dishwasher, and loaded dirty ones in. 

- Hand washed some pots and pans. 

- Cleaned the kitchen sink and counters. 

- Sorted through the mail. 

- Tidied the bill/paper organizer on the kitchen bookcase. 

- Researched natural treatments for lupus symptoms. 

- Looked up some recipes for natural beauty supplies - was excited to find a copycat recipe for Burt's Bees lip balm that I want to try! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 PM

What a day this has been... It's "THE BIG MOVE" day.  We have a 5 bedroom place but we had the downstairs bedroom in the basement as a guest bedroom.  The girls shared a room upstairs, my son had a room, my husband and I had a room and the final room upstairs was the office.  The girls HATE sharing a room.  DD1 is neat.  DD2 is horribly messy.  Like, seriously messy. Like, so messy she can never find anything.  So messy that, when she learned we would put her in her OWN room she exclaimed "YAY!  So now I can be as messy as I want!"  LOLOL.  I was like "Um, no....."  So my husband and I are going to move to the basement bedroom and move the girls into their own room.  We'll make the girls' shared room right now into our office, because it's a bigger bedroom and can be an office/guest bedroom in one.

Our day:

DD2 to field hockey practice, I wrote most of my next paper (it's an introspective journal entry so easy enough to write)

Husband home with tin foil and we put ribs on the grill to cook for the day

Started cleaning the much neglected and rarely used office.  omg.  It was like something out of Hoarders Lite.

MADE DD2 organize her clothes.  DD1 organized her stuff and threw away some stuff.

Went to son's lax game AND OMG, HE WON THE GAME!!!  Last game of the season before playoffs and THEY WON!  He even scored a goal!  You have no idea how excited I am!  (ok, maybe you do. heh)

Went out for ice cream!

Stopped at Home Depot for supplies and paint for DD1's room/office because it has been primed but never painted (our office was THAT bad)

Home and cleaned the carpet in the office while husband cleaned up the downstairs room and got ready to move our bedroom downstairs.  

I stopped to cook potatoes to go with the ribs.

Helped husband move our headboard downstairs.

Ate dinner

Now I just finished my paper and am about to cite some references.  I didn't actually cite anything in the body of the paper since it was a "journal" entry.  I hope that is acceptable.  Hm.  I may have to go back and cite within the paper.  I'm debating that.

Son is at a friend's house, and DD1, DD2 and friend are making a movie about something or other.  

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Love hearing about nonobadbordercollie.  I hope she doesn't know how much, that would probably just make things worse.

omg, yes, I won't tell her... she's lucky she is in a dog loving family because she gets away with a lot. heehee..  I have lots of stories about the newfie when he was younger.  They all involve poop, pee and/or counter surfing mass quantities of food.  Many stories are hilarious to look back on, but weren't so much at the time.  lol.  He has slowed down in middle age, though.  

Catholic mama- oh so lucky on the blueberries!!!  I don't think we would have blueberries here until much later, too.  I think it is strawberry season now, though.  

Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep starting posts and getting sidetracked. So I haven't posted in a while.
In a nutshell, I'm in survival mode. It's been a busy week. The Little girl is really clingy, 18 months now. I hear from here to 2 is gonna be this way. Oh joy.
Monday I went to the dr for the bad news. My allergy text was bad. Like all I wasnt allergic to was casien and coffee beans. Ya, weird. He didn't test meat since last time it was perfect and still seems fine. He didn't test herbs and spices this time either, but the vegetables and nuts/grains columns were just awful. Fruit wasnt much better. Dairy was only bad in whey. So what can I eat? Not much. Lol But once I get it under control I know I'll feel better. Might even gain some weight!
Beside the diet, I have to stay a bunch of supplements based on my mineral analysis plus stuff that should help my gut heal. He also gave me a refill on cortisone, that should tame my body down, but I just hate to take it. It just Tastes so fake and metalic. He gave me an iv to try to help support my white blood cells, need one roughly monthly for a few months to see what that does. I feel like an old woman hooked up to it for 2 hrs. Lol
Then Tuesday I sold the last puppy, but I had to drive it 35 miles into town because a trucker was buying her as he passed through town. He gave me an extra 25 dollars, so that was nice.
Wednesday was a fairly normal day.
Thursday I felt so sick, it was just crazy. Hubby felt sick too, not sure if it was the sudden change in weather, something going around, something we ate, or what. I just wanted to cry and die.
I felt better Friday and I think over did it. I'm good at that. I think the worst was finding that hubby left the entire seed stash of and open in the garden with the sprinkler on. For 2 days. Things were sprouting that I intended on saving for another year. So we had to scramble and plant.
Today I'm not feeling great, but not horrible. So it's been an average day beside losing the kitten we just got Thursday. Just a barn cat, I didn't want a baby when there are no adults around, but that's what we got. Hubby took it out to potty, the Little girl dunked him in the dogs water, dad locked him in the dog house, somehow he got out or the dogs got him out. He's gone now, don't know if he'll show up or not.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Nice morning here so far. Husband's turn to sleep in, so I got up with Little Man. Woke up with a headache, but fortunately a couple of Tylenol did the trick. 

- Put the dishwasher on a one hour wash (we forgot to turn it on last night). 

- Watched cartoons with Little Man while we got our eyes fully open. 

- Worked on a sticker collage with Little Man. 

- Baked a coffee cake for breakfast. 

- Put away clean dishes from the dishwasher.

- Tidied the kitchen.

- Made the beds.

- Added some new items to my Target Cartwheel. 

Now Little Man and I are going to walk down to the high school, where they're having a free car show today. We'll stay for a few hours to see all of the cars, then head home to watch the Hawks game - it's the finals! On the docket for the rest of the day -

- Make some pumpkin butter in the crockpot.

- Bake some pumpkin muffins for breakfasts this week.

- Color my hair.

- Print some coupons. 

- Figure out dinner... I have no idea what to make. Honestly I could just eat bean and bacon pasta, but we're out of bacon. Meh. 

Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Yes, here in Florida it's blueberry season. I sort of cheated because I still have a jar of blueberries frozen from last year that I haven't used yet, that I intended to use up somehow before we went picking but oh well. I'm happy that we picked enough to give some away and still have plenty for us, and I got exercise walking from here to there and back.

I'm sorry things haven't been going so well for you, Mrs. Koehn, and I will pray for you (and all of you).

I've walked two miles so far today and I hope to walk at least two more miles around our yard. Our house is in the middle of our yard which is all fenced in and four times around 2.5 acres is a mile. I come in between miles to cool off and rehydrate.

My daughter made "blueberry puff cake" and I made raspberry bars:

http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/healthified-raspberry-bars/47616d5d-ae17-404a-a7de-2d39e33f0990/?nicam2=Email&nichn2=Core&niseg2=LBA&nicreatID2=LBA_05_14_2014

I'm going back to the dentist tomorrow for a cleaning, and in early June I will go for my post root canal appointment for a permanent filling or crown. I am looking forward to being able to floss around that tooth again. My four children went for cleanings last Wednesday and Thursday and three of them have no cavities.

I bought a box fan at a dollar store on Friday and haven't decided where to put it yet. We have one on the counter here in the kitchen and it is really helping now that I turned it on and it is pointing in my general direction. I thought I would have to give that one back to my father-in-law, which is why I bought one at the dollar store, but he said we probably paid for it. I guess I could just keep storing it until we need it - it is Florida, after all, so we'll find a use for it.

My brother wrote me an email again, which was a nice surprise. I haven't heard from him much because he is in the Navy and we have very dissimilar beliefs, but now with him making time to email me and me happily writing back, we are sort of getting to know each other again. I've been married 10 years this month and he is thinking about marrying the woman in his life.

Time to go out for my third mile :) I hope you all have a lovely afternoon.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Old 05-18-2014, 06:29 PM

A little overextended and overwhelmed today, but good progress around here:

- took my mother for a visit with her former neighbors

- clipped the grass our lawnmower doesn't reach

- talked on the phone with DS2 for over an hour; he's stressed about this past semester, his major, his future

- baked DS2 some shepherd's pie

- mowed part of the yard -- without any mishaps!

- baked DS1 / GF1 blueberry pop tarts

- cut onions for DH to put in dinner

Now to build DS1's box for mailing in the morning and line up things to get ready for meeting DS2's flight tomorrow afternoon.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

I keep starting posts and getting sidetracked. So I haven't posted in a while.
In a nutshell, I'm in survival mode. It's been a busy week. The Little girl is really clingy, 18 months now. I hear from here to 2 is gonna be this way. Oh joy.
Monday I went to the dr for the bad news. My allergy text was bad. Like all I wasnt allergic to was casien and coffee beans. Ya, weird. He didn't test meat since last time it was perfect and still seems fine. He didn't test herbs and spices this time either, but the vegetables and nuts/grains columns were just awful. Fruit wasnt much better. Dairy was only bad in whey. So what can I eat? Not much. Lol But once I get it under control I know I'll feel better. Might even gain some weight!
Beside the diet, I have to stay a bunch of supplements based on my mineral analysis plus stuff that should help my gut heal. He also gave me a refill on cortisone, that should tame my body down, but I just hate to take it. It just Tastes so fake and metalic. He gave me an iv to try to help support my white blood cells, need one roughly monthly for a few months to see what that does. I feel like an old woman hooked up to it for 2 hrs. Lol
Then Tuesday I sold the last puppy, but I had to drive it 35 miles into town because a trucker was buying her as he passed through town. He gave me an extra 25 dollars, so that was nice.
Wednesday was a fairly normal day.
Thursday I felt so sick, it was just crazy. Hubby felt sick too, not sure if it was the sudden change in weather, something going around, something we ate, or what. I just wanted to cry and die.
I felt better Friday and I think over did it. I'm good at that. I think the worst was finding that hubby left the entire seed stash of and open in the garden with the sprinkler on. For 2 days. Things were sprouting that I intended on saving for another year. So we had to scramble and plant.
Today I'm not feeling great, but not horrible. So it's been an average day beside losing the kitten we just got Thursday. Just a barn cat, I didn't want a baby when there are no adults around, but that's what we got. Hubby took it out to potty, the Little girl dunked him in the dogs water, dad locked him in the dog house, somehow he got out or the dogs got him out. He's gone now, don't know if he'll show up or not.

Oh my gosh, it sounds like you have had a rough few days.  {{hugs}} to you.  Your allergy test does sound difficult.  And I guess when it rains, it pours, right?  I hope things look up for you this week.  

Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 AM

Yesterday was kind of stressful and featured more of the big bedroom move.

*Started the day watching Cupcake Wars with my baking obsessed DD1.

*Moved bedrooms... brought our books and bookshelf downstairs, brought tons more stuff downstairs, generally tidied things and donated things and.. did some laundry.

*Went to DD2's lax game.  They won and she scored a goal!

*Took her for ice cream with friends.  Ice cream twice in one weekend.  Dude, I'm ice creamed out.

*Went to grocery store for a couple things.

*DD2 sobbed about not having our friends for dinner.  She was SO.SAD.  I was stressed because we're in the midst of everything, I have to write a paper and our house looks like Ikea and Office Depot threw up in it... oh and also it looks like our dogs have shed themselves friends that like to float around the corners.  

*Relented and let them come for dinner (they are pretty much like family to us so I guess what's a little messy house among friends?)

*Ate dinner and chatted a bit and internally freaked out about everything to be done

*Friends left and finished organizing our bedroom and folded and swapped out laundry.

*Tucked girlies in.  Son is VERY happy to get our old master bedroom.  He has his own bathroom!  Lucky kid.  ;)

*Submitted my paper for school.  I'll have to get an extension on my other one.

*Ate one of DD1's yummy lemon bars she made earlier and read the rest of my psychology chapter.

*Zonked out in bed in the newly set up bedroom!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM

Sorry you've been getting piled on, MrsKoehn.  Hope you're getting some answers and are able to find things that help.

meowmix, LOL at IKEA and Office Depot throwing up in your house, I know that feeling!  DS1 actually likes IKEA.  I'm going, "How about some nice Stickley?" but no dice.

So, today:

- up very early, texted with DS2 through the start of his travels

- post office to mail DS1's box

- UPS Store to donate huge styrofoam cubes for packing material

- dump to pitch recycling -- another cubic foot of our attic reclaimed!

- home to check DS2's flight status (refresh monkey)

- cleared and tidied the outside of the fridge -- stacked pics to re-frame and replace, pitched broken / weak magnets, frames, etc.

- baked ham and cheese biscuits

- packed my stuff and got on the bus to meet DS2, squee!

- now we're on the bus home!  in heavy city traffic, but hey, I'm not driving

The rest of the day I just want to get DS2 fed some more (he ate a few of the biscuits already) and settled in at home.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Yesterday was kind of stressful and featured more of the big bedroom move.

I would freak out sleeping in a basement, especially if my kids were two floors above me. How did you get over that? Or am I just crazy and OCD? 

I felt less than stellar after yesterday's 4 mile round trip walk to the car show (lots of fun, but I definitely need to work up to walking that kind of mileage again), so I worked from home today. In and around a regular workday - 

- Sorted through the mail. 

- Played trains with Little Man. 

- Helped husband make dinner. 

- Worked on the grocery list for this week - we don't need much so I'm hoping to keep it under $50. 

- Actually remembered to charge my Kindle. 

Tonight - bake some cookies for snacks if I'm smart and really ambitious, find something good to read on my Kindle and an early bedtime. Rest is the order of the day. 

Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I would freak out sleeping in a basement, especially if my kids were two floors above me. How did you get over that? Or am I just crazy and OCD? 

Tonight - bake some cookies for snacks if I'm smart and really ambitious, find something good to read on my Kindle and an early bedtime. Rest is the order of the day. 

If you're off, I'm right out there with you -- it never ends!  My radar is still always doing sweeps.  :-)

Hope you have a relaxing evening!

Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

*Took all 6 kids for a 2 hr trip to the grocery store

*Came home made lunch

*Did laundry

*Cleaned and vacummed living room

*Cleaned up the yard so hubby could cut grass

*Made dinner

*Did dishes

*Went out to buy our special milk
*Came home gave the littles their baths

I feel like I got nothing done!!!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post

*Came home made lunch

*Did laundry

*Made dinner

*Did dishes

First off.. MaryLang, I dunno, it looks like you did a lot to me!  What is special milk?  

Kitchensqueen- if they were littler, I would feel freak out about it.  But DD1 and my son are about to have their birthdays.. so basically my kids are 13, 11 and 9.  They know where they can find us if they need us.  But.. even though I am not freaking out, it still DOES feel kind of weird to have them so far away.  I'm having trouble getting used to sleeping in the bedroom, too.  It's soooo quiet.  And the basement is freakin COLD.  I had to turn the baseboard heating on in the room last night.  

Yesterday I didn't get nearly everything done I wanted to:

I finished my spreadsheet.

Did 10 quadrillion loads of laundry 

Took son to therapy.  He was super quiet yesterday and quite a loner.  I don't know if something is eating at him.  Hm.

Took daughter to horseback riding

Called Safeway to fix my Just 4 U login so I can actually get customized coupons on my phone (if they're going to track my spending through my card, I might as well take advantage of it, right?

Studied a bit in the car while DD1 rode

Stopped at the grocery store on the way home

Got home and worked out for an hour (that was sooo nice!)

Made dinner and ate it

Watched Cosmos with the kids.

Watched Veep with husband and went to bed.

Today I HAVE to vacuum and clean those upstairs bathrooms.  I need to study for finals on Friday and finish this late paper.  I'm glad I don't have a new spreadsheet yet.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post

*Came home made lunch

*Did laundry

*Made dinner

*Did dishes

Oh, wow, and I got exhausted reading your post.  :-)  I know the feeling though; for me it came from doing cyclical things, and I needed something that would "stay done" to feel as though anything got done, KWIM?  A little bit of each today:

- ran out to pick up medication for my mother

- and drop DH his forlorn, forgotten cell phone

- back home for breakfast

- trimmed some more stray grass the mower missed; hurt my back somehow  :(

- prepared short monthly and annual treasurer's reports for a nonprofit group

- knee PT

- purged old maps, guidebooks, C of C propaganda from all over, but set aside some treasures too -- found a magazine insert map of the 1964-65 NY World's Fair my parents had kept!

- since it was 3:00 PM I decided to start talking with DS2, who was ready to wake up and eat

- dumped some chicken and pepper strips in a pan, stuck a container of spices in his pants pocket, and sent him on his way

Rest of the day is reading, foraging for dinner, probably running at least a small wash load for DS2.  So neat to have him home again!  And DS1 is planning to come up for a quick visit this Friday!  Squee, headcount!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Rest of the day is reading, foraging for dinner, probably running at least a small wash load for DS2.  So neat to have him home again!  And DS1 is planning to come up for a quick visit this Friday!  Squee, headcount!

Fun times!!!  How old are your kids again?  That's so fun!  Is DS2 visiting or home for a while?

Today was exhausting!  I am feeling a bit better.  Thanks in part to my period starting.  Wow.  That was horrible horrible PMS this time.  I am still a bit down, but not nearly as awful as before I started.  

My house was disgusting.  So today was get it marginally tidied up day.

First, went to my chiro appt, where she told me she was finally able to do dry needling!!!  So excited.  Made an appt.  There might be hope for my shoulder?

Came home and made my house look less like Office Depot threw up in it.  (Can't help the IKEA bit, though!).  Threw away papers we didn't need, filed papers, picked up various laundry bits and socks.  And picked up things nonobadbordercollie had eaten (some random eraser, a pencil, a sponge and a poor Barbie who now has no hands and feet and looks like something out of a horror movie)

Vacuumed the living level and stairs AND the couch!  We have a black couch and a white dog.  Hm.

Ate lunch with son.  He luxuriously mixed music while I slaved away.  heh

Went to Target with him for various things.

Came home and folded some laundry and cleaned the bathrooms upstairs.  omg, they were super gross, too.  Son did school work and put away his laundry and stuff.

Worked out.  I'm doing P90x Plus.  Tony Horton is SO annoying and cheesy.  (I modify some of it to accommodate for arthritis)

DD2 and her friends home so we all took the dogs and went to this hangout the kids like to go to in the woods (I don't always go).  My friend went, too.

The girls ran ahead of us and took the newfie swimming, which he loved, but now I have a stinky dog!

Came home and made a cool watermelon drink that was amazing!  It's being chilled more for dinner

DD2's friend went home and chatted with her mom for a moment.

Made dinner

Now DD1 is reading about Jupiter and telling me like a billion facts about it (The storm on jupiter is as big as three earths?  I didn't know that!)

DD2 is putting together a magic trick to show us.  Son and husband are at lax practice.  I have 311 radio playing on Pandora, which is lots of Bob Marley, really.  ;)

Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Kitchensqueen- if they were littler, I would feel freak out about it.  But DD1 and my son are about to have their birthdays.. so basically my kids are 13, 11 and 9.  They know where they can find us if they need us.  But.. even though I am not freaking out, it still DOES feel kind of weird to have them so far away.  I'm having trouble getting used to sleeping in the bedroom, too.  It's soooo quiet.  And the basement is freakin COLD.  I had to turn the baseboard heating on in the room last night.  

Yeah, I guess they're old enough that you won't really have to worry about them waking in the night... but oy that must take some getting used to! I would've put the office in. the basement for sure! 

Kind of a random day here, after work - 

- Little Man begged to go to Target, so we went. I was super excited to find Threshold shelves and brackets on clearance - I got two wood shelves at 70% off for $2.98 each and two sets of metal brackets at 50% for $4.98 each. $40 worth of shelving for just $15, and it was just what I needed for extra shelving in the kitchen! I think Little Man has the ability to sniff out a good deal just like Dear Old Mom. ;-)

- Popped into Jewel for $1 ketchup, but it wasn't the brand I thought was on sale, so I didn't end up getting any.

- Dinner and spent time with Little Man. 

- Made dinner for husband and I. 

- Tidied the house. 

Need to work for a bit tonight... but I totally don't feel like it. Meh. 

Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I guess they're old enough that you won't really have to worry about them waking in the night... but oy that must take some getting used to! I would've put the office in. the basement for sure! 

Yea, we had the office in the basement before.  It was COLD and no one used it. Plus, the kids are staying up a bit later, especially my son.  Being in the basement gives us some, um, privacy?  We have been walked in on a couple times in the last few months.  :blush  I finally slept well last night in the basement, though!  Oh, I had to edit to add that I can't stand the master bathroom for us.  It's too small.  Like claustrophobic.  There is a bigger bathroom int he basement that never gets used right now.  And I didn't want to share a bathroom with the girls upstairs.  They are messy.  ;)

It is one of those mornings where DD2 will not stop talking.  Like standing right near me while I try to nurse my cup of coffee.  She is asking me to do the "catch the money trick" she is naming the planets over and over... and asking me how I draw a number 2.  She wants to fill out her sister's school intent form for next week and complaining loudly when her sister told her no, she would fill it out.  Does anyone here want a 9 year old?  She's cute but sometimes she talks a lot.  heehee.. 

Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Fun times!!!  How old are your kids again?  That's so fun!  Is DS2 visiting or home for a while?

Today was exhausting!  I am feeling a bit better.  Thanks in part to my period starting.  Wow.  That was horrible horrible PMS this time.  I am still a bit down, but not nearly as awful as before I started.  

I have 311 radio playing on Pandora, which is lots of Bob Marley, really.  ;)

My babies are 21 and 24.  DS1 is living and working in a major metro area within a couple of hours' drive; we see him and his GF on occasional day trips, or one or both of them less often come for a weekend up here.  DS2 just finished his junior year on the west coast, so we only see him when he comes home over winter break, then one visit from us second semester (we went in March).  He's having some major academic stress and is home for the summer, using the time to decide where and how to take it from here.  Good men, both of them.  DH and I are shit lucky.  :-)

Boo, hiss, PMS.  It can make life unbearable.  I also have a mood dive a few days after I'm done, absolutely hate it.

My Pandora thing is their Cool Jazz station.  Also like a Miles Davis one I created.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:

DS2 just finished his junior year on the west coast, so we only see him when he comes home over winter break, then one visit from us second semester (we went in March).  He's having some major academic stress and is home for the summer, using the time to decide where and how to take it from here.  Good men, both of them.  DH and I are shit lucky.  :-)

My Pandora thing is their Cool Jazz station.  Also like a Miles Davis one I created.

I hope he can figure out his college path.  That's tough. Is the college too difficult or he's having trouble with his choice of major?  It seems like we have to decide all that stuff so young, doesn't it?

Oh, I have a Miles Davis station, too!  I love it.  I am mostly an obnoxious dubstep and trap pandora station person (I'm that person who makes you want to turn up your classical music at the stoplight) but I also love my Rachmaninov, my classical piano and my classic jazz stations.  I love pandora because it can fit my mood and I don't have to buy the music.  heh.  I think I have every station from Top 40 to classical to jazz to various electronic genres to various rock and hip hop genres.  

Old 05-21-2014, 10:48 AM

"I'm sorry things haven't been going so well for you, Mrs. Koehn, and I will pray for you (and all of you)."
Thanks, I need it.

"And I guess when it rains, it pours, right?  I hope things look up for you this week."
Thanks, so far, so good overall.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM

"Sorry you've been getting piled on, MrsKoehn.  Hope you're getting some answers and are able to find things that help."

Thanks, so do I, because this stinks!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hubs had a short wek today bc of the holiday and taking a vacation day so its almost weekend back to back! Yesterday I reorganized our storage closet. Today Im catching up on some general cleaning and getting our shopping list together.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM

- called bank about consolidating a couple savings accounts, long story  :P

- ordered checks

- fed DS2 breakfast

- went to a meeting, heard a speaker talk about juvenile justice issues

- fed DS2 lunch

- emailed some articles and reports around to people

- went to natural food co-op with DS2

- PT

- practiced some online French

About to cook DS2 a quick dinner.  No purging today yet, but if DH sees I'm in withdrawal he may take pity and move the heavy box I'm planning to do next so I can reach it.  Ooh, wait -- DS2!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Yea, we had the office in the basement before.  It was COLD and no one used it. Plus, the kids are staying up a bit later, especially my son.  Being in the basement gives us some, um, privacy?  

Ah yes.... the adult time. I suppose there is a turning point where proximity needs shift to privacy needs! :-)

Quote:

No purging today yet, but if DH sees I'm in withdrawal he may take pity and move the heavy box I'm planning to do next so I can reach it.  Ooh, wait -- DS2!!!

Your organizational horizon has expanded for the summer! 

Fairly typical day here after work - 

- Stopped at Meijer for a stock up price on toilet paper. Pretty much only buy it twice per year when I find a good price - got 44 rolls for $0.23 each. 

- Assembled sandwiches for dinner and had dinner with husband and Little Man. 

- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man. 

I'm reading a good book, so I'll probably putz around online for a few more minutes and then read. 

Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:

- Stopped at Meijer for a stock up price on toilet paper. Pretty much only buy it twice per year when I find a good price - got 44 rolls for $0.23 each. 

Soooo... You only buy toilet paper twice a year?  Though that is a really good deal!  

Yesterday... hm.  What did I accomplish?  

Worked.

Walked nonobadbordercollie.  Then let her run around off leash like a wild dog.  She was SO.HAPPY.  

Son was being down on himself about a song he created.  He was too anxious to post it on Soundcloud for fear of negative comments.  So I challenged him to give it to his DJ instructor for feedback.  This created TONS of anxiety in him.  But he has generalized anxiety and I think he needs some challenge so he learns how to deal with these icky feelings he gets.  I know his DJ instructor will give him good feedback and be a safe bet to show his work to.  

Studied my school a bit.

Looked up private schools for son to reaffirm that, yea, we can't afford private school.  Instead, looked up homeschool curriculum for next year.

Took son to homeschool class (the last one.  I was not super impressed with the class and will probably not sign him up for another one).

Chatted with husband a bit on the phone

Took DD2 to her appointment

Lax practice canceled so I came home afterwards and decided to make an experimental dinner

Made buffalo chickpea burgers and they turned out REALLY good.  I burned the peas, though (of all the things to burn!)

Watched Cupcake Wars with the girls (son was at DJ lesson).  Read to them a bit.

Son home and he did it!!!!!  He gave his DJ instructor his song and he liked it and told son that he'd like to show him more about layering tracks on Ableton.  I was so proud of him and it was cute.. son said "omg, I felt like I was going to die like all day.  But I did it!"

Tucked the kids in, watched sexy Jack Bauer on 24 and went to bed!

User Tag List