Bikini Baristas: Offensive, Annoying? No idea what I'm talking about? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#1 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Another bikini barista coffee stand opened in our area.  For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's a drive up espresso stand where the girl making coffee ("barista") is wearing (beware the painfully obvious) a bikini.  Instead of a window, these often have sliding glass doors for a full view.

As an adult, I could't care less.

As a woman, I can't imagine being ogled all day.

As a mother, I'm annoyed and avoid these.

As a mother of girls I kinda hope they have better alternatives to pulling espresso in the nearly-buff.

I know my friend was more than unpleasantly surprised to pull up to a coffee stand with her boys and have it turn out to be one of these.  Oh well... good coffee I guess.... ?

Do you have these in your area?  Annoyed?  Offended? Couldn't care less (now you know what it is)?  As long as they make a decent cuppa joe, who cares?  

applejuice likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I've never seen this? Are you in the tropics?
#3 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

No!  Pacific Northwest.  Of course.  You'd think we'd be saturated with coffee stands at this point, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

#4 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

tracyamber likes this.

#5 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
That seems like bad idea along the lines of "never cook bacon naked", but I wouldn't be offended by it.
Never seen one here, though I wouldn't be too surprised...one of the mayoral candidates a few years ago was known for running around in nothing but a thong. He had very nice credentials. wink1.gif
ocelotmom and rachelsmama like this.
#6 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

No!  Pacific Northwest.  Of course.  You'd think we'd be saturated with coffee stands at this point, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Oh , so we are very close to each other. 35th parallel here ! Yes, every corner drive thru coffee but no bikinis. It's a bit chilly too. The bikinis are annoying I mean does it make the coffee taste any better? I don't think I'd give it a try and go somewhere else. It just seems... Dumb really. IMO.
#7 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:37 PM

Oh I get it! Maybe the bikinis trick your eyes and skin and brain and you end up with an extra dose of vitamin D! Which we can us up here in the p northwest. D and a cup of coffee! *sarcasim*
#8 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So basically Starbucks meets Hooters.

My reaction is about like yours. As a woman, I'm put off; as a mother of a daughter, that's not how I want her to see adult women (and as the mother of a son, that's not how I want him to see women either, but he's only 3 months old so I don't think he would have much of an opinion). 

tracyamber likes this.
#9 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've seen them around, SweetSilver. I don't usually buy coffee at stands, and definitely don't buy from them, but I don't really have an issue with it. I dislike the tips for flashing or squeezes though...

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#10 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We have several, but I don't live super far from you.  I believe that there is one in town that took it a step further.  It is a lingerie espresso stand -- called Devil's Brew, no less.  People made a big stink about it.  Personally, I think it is tacky.  I don't mind the bikini ones as much as the lingerie idea even though the amount of skin would be similar.  However, I really don't want my girls to decide to work there and I won't be a customer.  I do worry about the employees.  Winters are cold here, very cold.  Also, I wouldn't put it past some wacko to wait until closing time to try to "get to know the barista better."  I have heard that the owner of Devil's Brew (I think it is that one) actually comes to help close up and make sure the girls get to the cars safely.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#11 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Sounds very annoying to me. Wouldn't visit it, then again as a woman I'm not the target audience. Would be even more annoyed if I saw my husband there.

And the violence issues, that's scary
#12 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
As far as I know this phenomenon has yet to reach Australia. However, I find the objectification of women offensive in any context.
tracyamber and rednightingale like this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

A great, funny article from Jezebel.  I posted it earlier then deleted, not sure about the site in general and if I should link to it:

http://jezebel.com/washingtons-weird-bikini-barista-culture-1516001624

Viola P likes this.

#14 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I'm in the PNW and we have a lot of them in my area.  It's not my cuppa, but I just make sure to choose family friendly stands.  I have my favorite stands that carry my favorite alternative milks anyway, so I usually just stick with those.  

Also nearby is a Banana Hammock coffee stand for those who would like to ogle men while they get their coffee.  Once again not my cuppa, but to each their own.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#15 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Never heard of it. My first reaction is a gigantic eye roll. So dumb. I don't know that I'm necessarily offended, but I find the idea (of both the bikini and banana hammock variety) super, super just ... dumb.

I was in Seattle last weekend (and LOVED it!!!!!). I'm glad I didn't come across one of those. I wouldn't patronize them if they were in my area. I'm in SoCal, so I kind of can't believe we don't have these already. At least now I'll be prepared for the inevitable and can hopefully restrain myself from shouting, "That is SOOOOOO DUUUUUMMBBB!!!!!" the first time I see one.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#16 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

That seems like bad idea along the lines of "never cook bacon naked", but I wouldn't be offended by it.

This was my first thought, too. Seems like an OSHA violation to me.

My assumption before reading the comments was that this was a beachside thing (in a warm climate). That doesn't bother me particularly much (especially if there were allowances for cold days) - it seems more like just wearing what people wear in that location. But PNW feels more like blatant objectification.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#17 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

I don't mind the bikini ones as much as the lingerie idea even though the amount of skin would be similar.  

Isn't this funny?  Anthropologists in the coming centuries will look back on our century's differentiating materials as akin to the Victorian era's refusal to call the legs of a table "legs" and covering them up lest they give people "ideas".  I have the same feelings as you, but I laugh at myself wondering why it's better to be in thick, water resistant nylon than the flimsier lingerie material that might even cover more..... really it makes no SENSE and I'm getting a giggle out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

My assumption before reading the comments was that this was a beachside thing (in a warm climate). That doesn't bother me particularly much (especially if there were allowances for cold days) - it seems more like just wearing what people wear in that location. But PNW feels more like blatant objectification.

It does, but it's natural that any revolution in coffee procurement would take place here.  How to stand out from the crowd of coffee stands, Starbucks and the like?  Well, this is one surefire way to do it.

AAK and mamapigeon like this.

#18 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 10:34 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

A great, funny article from Jezebel.  I posted it earlier then deleted, not sure about the site in general and if I should link to it:

http://jezebel.com/washingtons-weird-bikini-barista-culture-1516001624

Yep, that is my town (Spokane) with all the lovely mothers running around to get signatures.  Personally, they might do better if they just kept their dh away from them.  I know of several women who were mad because their husbands did go--apparantly, they wanted to see for themselves just how bad it was.  I know of others who were worried about traffic accidents as men were trying to catch a glimpse as they drove by.  That was with the XXXtreme one.  Which, btw is really close to the strip clubs anyways so it is kind of a themed street. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#19 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 AM

Yeah well I'm totally supportive of a sex street where such services are available and it's known to everyone that it's for adults. Maybe what Washington needs (and wants) is a red light district
#20 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

That has got to be cold!  And I live in TX, I'm pretty sure if it was an option to not wear much lots of people would be willing to take that job.  Hell I'd be willing to take that job.  Ya know, they see bathing suits at the pool.

rachelsmama likes this.
#21 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
 Anthropologists in the coming centuries will look back on our century's differentiating materials as akin to the Victorian era's refusal to call the legs of a table "legs" and covering them up lest they give people "ideas". 

That's a myth, apparently. 

And yes, I find both the bikini-barista concept and Hooters offensive and dehumanising... though interesting, I suppose, in that they both conflate food and sex. Not that objectifying women is by any means *restricted* to food contexts (look at bikini car washes or convention 'booth babes'), but interesting nonetheless. I can't personally resonate with a train of thought that goes "Man, how can I make my coffee run more sexually titillating?", but then, I don't drink coffee. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#22 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 PM

I think part of the issue is that they're not really selling coffee, they're selling sex. The coffee is just a cover. That's what I don't like about it. I mean, if it's erotic entertainment then it should be labelled as such and treated accordingly, none of this hiding behind the beans. Not saying that it shouldn't be allowed though.
#23 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Having worked as a barista, I can't imagine doing so in my underwear or a bikini. I used to come home with coffee splatters all over my clothes. Making espresso is messy and can be a tad dangerous/. Scalding milk and water splashing everywhere. I can't believe that the health dept or OSHA or whatever allows this because of the risk of burns to the skin...?

And yeah, it's dumb. I hate driving by the one in our town with my 14 year old daughter in the car. I'm not a prude by any means, but I don't like that she sees young girls not much older than herself working this way.

Also, the news interviewed one of these places nearby and found that these girls don't make any more money than the other, fully clothed baristas at other coffee stands ...
#24 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

From the article, sounds like it's not just bikini swimsuits, it's pasties and a G-string, which I find more disturbing personally. 

#25 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

From the article, sounds like it's not just bikini swimsuits, it's pasties and a G-string, which I find more disturbing personally. 

That has happened before, but it's not the norm.  The norm is bikinis, but the occasional company has pushed the boundaries.  

#26 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The ones in my town wear G- strings and pasties. Like someone said above, I don't care what adults do, but I do think such businesses need to be zoned better. Bring on the red light district for all I care.
#27 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'll start with having a little warning instead of pulling up to one accidentally!  As much as I might not want this kind of business advertised, I also want to know to avoid it when I'm in a strange area and jonesing for coffee.

#28 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 06:39 PM

See, belongs in a regulated red light district, turning a blind eye and apologetic tolerance is not the answer!!

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/java-juggs-bikini-coffee-stand-owner-arrested-selling-sex
#29 of 40 Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
How can they live without the joy of eating a scone that was recently stored near the razor-burned pubis of a sullen 19-year-old?!? What kind of a life is that?
Bahahaha!

I know, a few days late to the frothy crotch party.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#30 of 40 Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Bahahaha!

I know, a few days late to the frothy crotch party.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page