needlepoint - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Anyone do needlepoint?

I have done needlepoint  in the past - pillows, birth and wedding announcements, baby pictures, framed.

A friend died recently. She left behind a very large needlepoint work in progress. 4'x3' framed She was using virgin persian wool, and I cannot find that color or brand anywhere. I called the company in MA, and the phone number is disconnected.

I have been asked to finish it.

Could I use the same color in acrylic? Would it look that different from the rest? Would it "wear" differently? It will be framed.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#2 of 4 Old 05-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Different materials will probably "wear" differently, so I'd try to stick with wool.  Found some conversion charts in case the company in question is included http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=1558

I did a little work for GhostStitchers a few years ago.  One of their services is finishing incomplete projects; even if you don't have them do the job, they might have some advice on matching the wool.

If it's being framed, another thing that can help is choice of glass.  Making sure to choose an option that provides UV protection can help protect the entire piece and make uneven fading less of an issue.

Also, I've heard good things about ravelry.com -- they're primarily a knit and crochet site, but someone mentioned you could find other needlework topics discussed.

It's really great that you're taking on this project.  I'm sorry about your friend. 

applejuice likes this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Have you checked ebay? I've always had a lot of luck finding discontinued products on there, though I've never looked for anything related to needlepoint.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Sorry about your friend, but I think it's lovely you're going to try to finish her piece. I found two potential sources for Persian wool you might look into - Crafter's Market and Brown Sheep Company. Maybe they would have a good match?

applejuice likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page