Another ethical dilemma... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of months ago I bought a double stroller off Ebay. Brand new in box, and a bargain to boot.

Then a few weeks ago I found another one delivered to my door. (I wasn't home when FedEx came.) The box is beat up, but it is without a doubt another *new* stroller. (My original came in a beat up box. It must happen during shipping.) But the sender is NOT who I bought from off Ebay, I contacted her and she says she didn't send it. My credit cards have not been charged, so I'm thinking it must be a gift. But who on earth would buy such a freaking expensive gift for me? And then not tell me? The address was listed in Brooklyn, so I had my MIL look it up. The company is not listed in the phone book, cannot be found on the web, and when I contacted a company listed for that address - they said they never heard of the co. that sent it.

What do I do with this? I cannot find out who sent this to me & I cannot return it to the company where it was purchased because they cannot be found. It is so dishonest to return to BRU or something. But I can't keep it. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 05:43 PM

Does it have cupholders built into the handle? If so, send it to me!
#3 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 05:43 PM

Have you considered donating it to a charity or giving it away??

#4 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Sell it.
#5 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 05:49 PM

Sell it or take it to Babies R Us and return it there. Babies R Us does not loose money. What they do, is they give you a credit with a card to spend only in their store, they either sell the stroller or they return it to the manufacturer for a credit. So do not feel bad. They take no loss in the transaction. In fact I called them after Jack was born and had several things to return, not sure where they came from and they said to bring it all to them! So I did and had like a $200 credit to spend in their store. I bought lots of goodies that I did need.
#6 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 07:18 PM

Well, you did say it was a double stroller you bought off ebay....sounds to me like that's what you got! : (Sorry....I'm a leeetle bit sleep-deprived today...)

I agree that it's not dishonest to return it for a store credit, nor would it be dishonest to sell it on ebay or some such. If it were me, and I was bothered by the idea of getting something for it, I'd probably try to find someone who really needed it, or would love it but couldn't possibly afford it themselves, and bless them with it.

But if you really think it was an anonymous gift, a RAK sort of thing (and not just some sort of shipping mistake) , then I wouldn't feel a bit bad about exchanging it for something you do need...whatever fairy gave it to you must have wanted to bless you with a nice gift, KWIM?

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#7 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 07:30 PM

If you decide to give it away, I would love to you talk to me (PM me) and I'll ease your guilt!

Jesse
#8 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 07:51 PM

You could always write "The Ethicist" at the New York Times magazine. That'd be a good question for the column. But then, it'd be weeks before you'd get an answer.

I'm a serial donater, so I would say DONATE it to somebody who really needs it. There are lots of people out there that have their little 17 month old dragging their poor tired feet while the baby gets the stroller. Lots of women here would benefit from your giving, too. JMO.
#9 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 08:00 PM

I'd give it to someone who really needs one and can't afford to buy one new.
#10 of 10 Old 04-30-2004, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
It's just so weird. When DD was born we got a diaper pail from someone and we still don't know who. (Amazon wouldn't tell us. : ) I guess we're destined for random things with each baby.

I the Ethicist! And I've always wanted an excuse to write! LOL

Actually, I think I'll wait until another month, to make sure I wasn't charged, and then figure out what to do. I'd hate to give it away and then have to eat the cost if it showed up on my statement. And sorry Chaka, no cupholders.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page