Twenty years ago, the events that framed the trial of the century took place ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Twenty years ago, the events that framed the trial of the century took place ...

Thursday will mark the twentieth anniversary of the death of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. I remember seeing the bronco chase on television. I did not want to watch it, but when I changed the channel, it was on every channel, EVERY SINGLE ONE! So I turned off the television, and called a friend, and my friend was watching the bronco chase! I could not get away from it.

http://news.yahoo.com/10-things-know...040348633.html

Quote:
It was declared the "Trial of the Century," and from the day O.J. Simpson was arrested in 1994 on charges of killing his ex-wife and her friend, until he was acquitted almost 15 months later, it captivated the nation.

Last edited by applejuice; 06-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I understand the fascination. I mean, OJ SIMPSON. Always so athletic, clean cut all-American boy, suddenly infamous.

I was a live-in nanny at the time and my employer was *obsessed* by this. Argh!

ETA: It was also 20 years ago (April) that Kurt Cobain killed himself. That had a bigger impact on my generation than this event.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Was it really called the "trial of the century"?

That's a blow to all the other important trials from the 20th century. But even if you only considered it from a media-coverage standpoint, I'm sure we can come up with other trials that were as sensational and covered as much as media technology allowed them to.

ETA: Actually found a Wikipedia entry for "trial of the century"

Listed on it was the Lindbergh kidnapping, which is the first thing I thought of when I was thinking of captivating trials.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Last edited by SweetSilver; 06-09-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

re: Trial of the century, that in the article I linked to, but I agree.

I agree that there are more important trials and mystery murders as Sacco & Vanzetti, the Lindbergh baby, Leopold & Loeb, the Unibomber, the Zodiac Killer, the Boston Strangler, Jonbenet, the Black Dahlia, Chandra Levy, Jimmy Hoffa, the Smiley Face Murders etc. that are interesting.

The Simpson trial showed us the impact of the media on our lives where we can see everything as it happens, and still not be sure of what really happened. An OT, but a good friend of mine left the country during the trial because she was an old friend of Kato Kaelin. I do not believe she could have been called to testify, but she took no chances.

This is an interesting book. I heard the author interviewed on the radio. The author is a retired policeman.

http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Wayne-Edwards-Serial-Killer/dp/1885793030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402333753&sr=8-1&keywords=it%27s+me http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Wayne-Edwards-Serial-Killer/dp/1885793030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402333753&sr=8-1&keywords=it%27s+me

Last edited by applejuice; 06-09-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
re: Trial of the century, that in the article I linked to, but I agree.

I agree that there are more important trials and mystery murders as Sacco & Vanzetti, the Lindbergh baby, Leopold & Loeb, the Unibomber, the Zodiac Killer, the Boston Strangler, Jonbenet, the Black Dahlia, Chandra Levy, Jimmy Hoffa, the Smiley Face Murders etc. that are interesting.

The Simpson trial showed us the impact of the media on our lives where we can see everything as it happens, and still not be sure of what really happened. An OT, but a good friend of mine left the country during the trial because she was an old friend of Kato Kaelin. I do not believe she could have been called to testify, but she took no chances.

This is an interesting book. I heard the author interviewed on the radio. The author is a retired policeman.

http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Wayne-E...ords=it%27s+me

I've been a superior court juror (armed robbery), a witness (against my best friend) in a civil trial and a crime victim testifying against someone that assaulted me. Did I want to be there (especially the jury duty)? Not really, but it was important and so I did it. My late Mom was a juror in a Federal murder trial and was sequestered for several weeks. She didn't like it (the victim looked eerily like me) but she did it and was able to affect a conviction on the bastard. My late Dad, too, was on a criminal case jury and did the same.

Why would your friend leave the country? Why was she so concerned about being called to testify? Nobody wants to be involved with a trial, particularly a murder trial. But, if she might have had some information, any information, that might have been important or pertinent, she shirked her civic duty in leaving. Shame on her.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't think it was the "murder trial of the century." That is an insult to all the other victims of murder in this country.

Call it, rather, the "most-overblown-media-circus-trial-of-the-century".

I'd say what I think of Simpson, but I'd get a pm from the mod..................

Happily, he's still in prison for another few years on his last conviction. Hopefully, he has a new nickname. Instead of "The Juice," it's "Sweet Cheeks."
Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I was on vacation in this weird black and purple hotel room when the Bronco chase was on tv. I watched it because we had a baby blue Bronco. I also remember when the verdict was rendered. I was in high school and it was such a big deal that the librarian put it on the tv so everyone could watch. Some people cheered and some yelled in anger.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I was a teenager during the time, and we didn't watch the trial on tv. However, I do remember nicknaming orange juice as "killer juice" lol.....I forgot all about that until just now.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am old enough to remember watching the USC/Notre Dame games and coach McKay with OJ doing the victory dance in the end zone when he made a touchdown. My dad was a Notre Dame fan and was always mad when OJ did that dance.

Now OJ is in jail.

How things change!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So has anyone read the book written by the PI who is trying to make the case that OJ Simpson's son, Jason, was the actual killer?

User Tag List