How do I find the current address of an ex-neighbor? I think I found their cat. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I find the current address of an ex-neighbor? I think I found their cat.

I want to find the current address of a family who used to live down the street. I do not know their names.

The family moved out about 3-4 years ago. I suspect that they were forced to move due to finances, possibly a foreclosure. Or maybe they were evicted. I do not know if they rented or owned the house. (DD says she thinks they rented.)

A week or so after they moved, the dad of the family was back, going door to door looking for a beloved cat that escaped during the move and disappeared. He walked the area for a few days. It was heartbreaking. He (they) really missed the cat.

I believe that cat is now living with us. She showed up, DD took pity on her and started feeding her. The cat was already spayed, and fit the description the man gave (or what I remember of it, anyway).

I would really love to reunite this sweet kitty with the family that looked so hard for her.

I do not have much (or any, really) money to spend on this project.

Is there any way to find their name(s), and then find their current address or phone number, for free or cheap?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Look up your city's tax records by address, that should give you the name and address of the owner. Even if it's a rental maybe the landlord could give you their name.
Do you know if they stayed in the same area? Maybe put an ad on craigslist if you haven't already.
How nice of you to do this!

ETA- if the cat's spayed she might be microchipped as well...maybe the owners put their new addy/number in the database just in case someone found her. Any vet will be happy to scan her for you.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yes get the cat scanned!the vet or humane society will do it for free.

Funny story about my cat. He ran away the day I adopted him (slipped out the door). We looked for weeks. Turns out a nice elderly lady took him in a couple months after he went missing. He was microchipped but she never thought if scanning him. It wasn't until the cats former owner became friends with the lady and recognized the cat that he was scanned and brought home. (the lady was looking to rehome him anyways).
Old 06-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Facebook?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I second having a vet check on whether the cat has a microchip. And checking tax records is a great idea, as well.

A few more ideas (which may or may not make sense, depending on the size/composition of the community you live in--I live in a fairly small community, some of these may not make any sense at all in someplace like NYC):

Post on an online forum specific to your community. (We have one called Front Porch Forum which is by town/neighborhood, so it's fairly hyper-local--people frequently post about lost and found pets, and I could see something like "do you know the family that used to live at XX Crescent Circle in 2010--I think I may have found their cat" getting a response--at least somebody who knows the family's names.)

Ask current owner/residents of the house who owned it previously. (I'm thinking this would be a multi-step ask, as current renters might have to ask their landlord, who might know the name of a previous owner, who could give you the family names. They might or might not have current contact info as well--though, whether they'd give it you, I don't know.)

Ask other neighbors if they know the names of the family--if so, this would give you a starting point to google them.

Call around to local vets and see if any of them recognize the cat's description or have that address on file for someone. They might not give you the name either, but if they found a match might call the family and give them your information.

Hope you have success!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Good luck hope you find the cats owners

User Tag List