Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Talk Amongst Ourselves (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/)
-   -   Talk to me about Hanna Andersson... or other good places for kids clothes (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16-talk-amongst-ourselves/1428066-talk-me-about-hanna-andersson-other-good-places-kids-clothes.html)

crazyms 07-02-2014 08:09 AM

Talk to me about Hanna Andersson... or other good places for kids clothes

I need to get a few pieces for the kids wardrobes soon and went browsing online. I thought Hanna Andersson was supposed to be all organic but after looking at some of the product descriptions I'm not sure. Maybe it's all fair trade or made in a certain country or something else that would give me reason to buy it but I don't even see an "about us" area on the site to see their philosophy/associations anything that would encourage me to buy from them. Can anyone here give me any information about their products? I'm interested in other places as well if you have suggestions. I'd prefer to replace their clothes with organic as much as possible and not too expensive since they outgrow them so fast! Hanna had some good prices especially with their basics and sales but now I need to confirm them being organic. Any help would be great!

AAK 07-02-2014 08:28 AM

Not all their stuff is organic, but a lot of it is. I know that the unders are organic as are most their jammies. Right now, they are having a fantastic sale!

I have only bought a bit of their stuff. My kids love their unders! Everything we have bought has been great quality. It holds up so well, and is made so that your child can grow and still fit the clothes. That sounds weird, but it seems to be true. The sizing is flexible. My middle child has been wearing a pair of capris for about 4 years now. They are closer to shorts vs capris now, but they still look good.

Amy

crazyms 07-02-2014 08:30 PM

That's good info. I'll have to check the individual item listings better then to find the organic items. Thanks!

Mylie 07-02-2014 11:47 PM

I like their winterwear a lot!!!! I got a coat with matching snowpants 3 years ago for my 6 year old and I will finally have to replace this winter...It was the 1st Set I had ever gotten there and I am floored at how it has stood up to not only Michigan winters but my hard playing child..

crazyms 07-03-2014 01:03 AM

Wow! I'm amazed at how long they can wear the items. That's great. I'm definitely going to have a look. With 3 kids to clothe the longer they can wear the items the better! I am trying to be more conscious of what we buy and Hanna was the first company that came to mind for organic kids clothes. I was shocked the prices were so low until I realized they weren't all organic. That was a bit of a bummer but if they're well lasting its still worth a look. Thanks!

mariamadly 07-03-2014 08:08 AM

My kids wore HA clothes throughout their LittlePersonHood in the early-to-mid 1990's. They handed down not only regular clothes but socks (which took a *lot* of wear and tear), and actually passed them along to a family friend. Each kid wore the clothes multiple years.

limabean 07-03-2014 10:56 AM

I love my DD's HA clothes! There is something special about their sizing that allows her to wear them for at least 2, and sometimes 3 years.

We mostly get the day dress/play dresses, and I've been so happy with how well they've held up through LOTS of wearings and washings. Her very first dresses from 3 years ago, which she's finally outgrown, are still in good enough shape that we can pass them along to someone.

rightkindofme 07-06-2014 03:43 AM

My kid has destroyed every Hanna Andersson thing I have bought her. All the pants are riddled with holes. The dresses are all torn. She plays outside a lot. I haven't found them worth the price. :-\

Asiago 07-06-2014 05:36 PM

Cosco periodically sells HA also, Jammie's and fleece tops...

Polliwog 07-07-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightkindofme (Post 17757426)
My kid has destroyed every Hanna Andersson thing I have bought her. All the pants are riddled with holes. The dresses are all torn. She plays outside a lot. I haven't found them worth the price. :-\

Wow. Sounds like she's really tough on her clothes. I haven't found any pieces that I haven't been able to resell.

rightkindofme 07-07-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polliwog (Post 17760522)
Wow. Sounds like she's really tough on her clothes. I haven't found any pieces that I haven't been able to resell.

She plays like a boy.

crazyms 07-07-2014 12:22 PM

I think mine would be okay. I'll probably end up picking up a few pieces and trying them out since everyone has such good reviews of them. I was just confused because I'd thought they were all organic. I still want to try the HA but I guess I'll look around for some other organic kids clothing providers too.

blessedwithboys 07-07-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightkindofme (Post 17760530)
She plays like a boy.

How are boys supposed to play? I wanna make sure my son is doing it right...:wink

rightkindofme 07-07-2014 12:44 PM

Well of course there is variation... but we've got animals and Lego's and dirt and sticks and swords and video games and books and dolls and kitchens and dress up and cooking. She moves up and down. At least once in a while. Like is "good" for you.

:love

kitchensqueen 07-07-2014 06:22 PM

I've got a two-year old boy and my preferred clothing maker is the thrift store. I actually find a bunch of brand-name stuff for super cheap, and if it's made it through another two-year old boy wearing it, it's basically built to last. And I get it for super cheap, which is great since kids grow out of clothes so quickly. ;-)

crazyms 07-07-2014 06:44 PM

That's where I usually get all the kids clothes now. Love the thrift stores but we don't have a great selection here. It's hard a lot of the time to find clothes or at reasonable prices even at the thrift stores. I buy on ebay a lot with getting the lots of clothes and get good deals that way. Just looking at options for organic clothes since I'd prefer to start getting them organic for the things I do buy new.

philomom 07-07-2014 06:57 PM

Interesting. I bought Hannas at the thrift stores and they wore really well. The kids wore many pieces for three or so years and then they made great hand me downs as well.

crazyms 07-08-2014 11:09 PM

HA in the thrift stores? I need to move where you live :lol

ocelotmom 07-09-2014 12:20 PM

You just have to find the right thrift store. I find HA regularly at one particular thrift store. It isn't in an affluent part of town or anything like that - I imagine there's a single family that donates lots of HA stuff.

crazyms 07-09-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocelotmom (Post 17768650)
You just have to find the right thrift store. I find HA regularly at one particular thrift store. It isn't in an affluent part of town or anything like that - I imagine there's a single family that donates lots of HA stuff.

Sounds great but won't happen here. I *just* got anything organic at all in the local grocery stores in the last 2-3 months. There is only one health food store in the STATE and two now that we officially have our first Whole Foods. I don't even have access to a recycling center where I am and have to drive over an hour away to use one. :( Finding HA or any other decent and potentially organic clothing lines won't happen here. Anything I've needed like reusable shopping bags (decent ones), menstrual cup, cloth diapers, or anything else I've had to order online. It really sucks to live somewhere so backwards. I'll be so glad if I get to move one day. :(

AAK 07-09-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyms (Post 17768674)
Sounds great but won't happen here. I *just* got anything organic at all in the local grocery stores in the last 2-3 months. There is only one health food store in the STATE and two now that we officially have our first Whole Foods. I don't even have access to a recycling center where I am and have to drive over an hour away to use one. :( Finding HA or any other decent and potentially organic clothing lines won't happen here. Anything I've needed like reusable shopping bags (decent ones), menstrual cup, cloth diapers, or anything else I've had to order online. It really sucks to live somewhere so backwards. I'll be so glad if I get to move one day. :(

Wow! It is hard to believe (though I do) that there are places so vastly different from us even within the same country. I've lived on both coasts (so I have seen those differences) but I have never lived midwest or south.

Amy

crazyms 07-09-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAK (Post 17795322)
Wow! It is hard to believe (though I do) that there are places so vastly different from us even within the same country. I've lived on both coasts (so I have seen those differences) but I have never lived midwest or south.

Amy

Yep I'm way down south and it's not very "green" around here. It's sad really. No one here really cares. I would say that the low income makes it hard for them to afford more eco-friendly, organic things but I know that's not true because I've been low income almost all my life and I still find ways to make it work because it matters to me. Of course I don't have a $100+ a month cell phone bill, don't keep cable at home at all, don't shop at the mall buying bath & body works or perfumes, spend my tax return on purses and video games, and I rarely eat out. They all do so I guess that's what's important to them. *sigh*

AAK 07-09-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyms (Post 17795410)
Of course I don't have a $100+ a month cell phone bill, don't keep cable at home at all, don't shop at the mall buying bath & body works or perfumes, spend my tax return on purses and video games, and I rarely eat out.

Same here!

Amy

philomom 07-09-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyms (Post 17767050)
HA in the thrift stores? I need to move where you live :lol

I've lived in Atlanta, Ga and Portland, Or. .... both cities have thrift stores with Hannas.

crazyms 07-10-2014 01:06 AM

My state just sucks :lol Maybe it'd be easier to find in the city though. I live in the country so I might try checking out some thrift stores next time we're in the city.

JudiAU 07-12-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyms (Post 17748354)
I need to get a few pieces for the kids wardrobes soon and went browsing online. I thought Hanna Andersson was supposed to be all organic but after looking at some of the product descriptions I'm not sure. Maybe it's all fair trade or made in a certain country or something else that would give me reason to buy it but I don't even see an "about us" area on the site to see their philosophy/associations anything that would encourage me to buy from them. Can anyone here give me any information about their products? I'm interested in other places as well if you have suggestions. I'd prefer to replace their clothes with organic as much as possible and not too expensive since they outgrow them so fast! Hanna had some good prices especially with their basics and sales but now I need to confirm them being organic. Any help would be great!

HA does carry a lot of organic items but not everything will be. They carry even more OTEK 100 certified garments. What they are really known for is quality, most of the clothes wear like iron. I don't buy everything they buy but I love, love, love pajamas and unders. I figure if my kids spend half their time in organic that makes me flexible with the rest.

crazyms 07-16-2014 04:32 PM

Okay I'm going to be picking up some HA pieces for the kids as I can after the reviews here and would like some help with sizing if anyone can help. My 3 year old and 7 year old are both standard kiddo size and should fit for the age ranges suggested by HA I'm sure. Where I'm stuck is with oldest DD. She's a tiny kid and although she's almost 9 she is still wearing size 7 clothes and even some 6. The 8's are almost all too big for her. Should I get her the 6-8 years (120) size or would the 7-10 years (130) size be okay for her? She's just made it to 50 lbs and 49" tall.

SweetSilver 07-18-2014 07:31 AM

I get the larger sizes for tops, because I can, then fit the bottoms, and thankfully HA sells pieces in this way.

DD9 is just over 4 feet and 53 pounds. She has wider hips and is more comfortable in the 130 pants. Tops I will buy 140 currently. DD7 absolutely needs the 120 and she can still fit in an old pair of 100s, her hips are so slim. The 110s are getting squeezy but she wears them regularly. She is nearly the same size as dd9, only a slightly different shape and she has different preferences for how her clothes can fit.

So, we are currently wearing 110, 120, 130 and 140!! Love those Hannas! (Not pants in the 140, but dd9 is comfier in the large undies.)

kitchensqueen 07-18-2014 07:53 AM

Thought this may be of interest - today only HA is having an online clearance sale!

http://hip2save.com/2014/07/18/hanna...arly-up-to-60/

crazyms 07-18-2014 08:47 AM

Thanks! I think DD will probably fit better in the 120s then but the 130s might be okay. I guess I'm off to check it out.