Welcome to July 2014: What did you accomplish today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Welcome to July 2014: What did you accomplish today?

Hi, everyone! I'm looking for a tired, waving smiley, it's been quite a day. DS2 is languishing in Airport Limbo waiting for his connecting flight; he arrives out to see his girlfriend seven hours after he was originally scheduled. Midnight as opposed to 5:00 PM.

- up early, washed a wool shirt for DH
- made scones for DS2
- packed his toiletries
- took him to the airport
- hung out a bit until he went through security
- shortly after I got home, he texted me his delay news and new flight info
- purged another couple-few inches of paper from the next drawer in the attic filing cabinet
- turned off electronics, and back on, a couple of times because of storms
- made dinner
- made DS2's first tuition payment for next year
- talked on phone with DS2 a couple of times; made sympathetic noises
- sent him sympathetic texts
- washed dishes

Now I'll read a bit and kick around. My mom-ish reptile brain is a bit unsettled when one of my kids is in transit. DS2 will be in touch when he finally does arrive, and I'll be so happy for him when he does!

Happy July!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Happy July and just popping in to say hello! It's been a buy couple days. We baked cupcakes that were awful and we threw them out (and laughed about it), my mom went shopping with us and bought the kids things and bought us a milk shake maker! So cool. We've played games, been to the library and watched movies and had an old Twilight Zone marathon last night. I've also eaten way too much junk food and still managed to walk nonobadbordercollie a few days. DD1 had her horseback riding group lesson and the skies opened up and there was tons of lightning so they called the lesson. She was really good with her horse, who was tossing his head a lot and seemed keyed up. Not only was she on an advanced rider horse that day, she was on him as a storm was coming in! She did fantastic, though!

I also took my son to his DJ lesson, only to discover it was back on its old schedule so it wasn't on the night I took him. And I went to pick up my milk order yesterday and it wasn't there.. so no farm milk, eggs, meat and produce. I'll have to hit the grocery for more food. Argh. Never did figure out why it wasn't there. The website says my order was delivered. No one seems to know.

Today is supposed rain all afternoon. We'll probably chill and play games and bake more cupcakes even though, omg, I don't want to see junk food and sweets EVER AGAIN. heh

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Got down at 2 AM. Sleep deprived and slow moving today:

- dragged out of bed at 7, showered, ate (accomplishments today)
- returned a couple of library books
- dropped off a bag of donations
- swapped cars with DH
- bought lipstick
- picked up prescriptions for mother
- finished up this pass of purging file cabinet in the attic -- got several linear feet free
- took the purged papers to the dump
- gassed up DH's car
- took a nap
- roasted some chicken for dinner (DH dices it up and adds whatever to it)
- zoned out online

DH and I might be going down to see DS1 and his GF, maybe help pack up for their upcoming move. They have their new apartment keys and are very excited.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM

How fun on getting to go see DS1 and his GF! Hope you catch up on that missing sleep tonight. I felt like I was dragging today. Maybe it was the oppressive humidity and coming storms.

My mom decided to leave early today to avoid driving in the hurricane conditions tomorrow. So today..
*I woke up at 7am and walked nonobadbordercollie. It was like walking in soup.
*Came home and chatted with my mom who broke the news that she would have to leave today.
*Made test icing and DD1 practiced icing cupcakes on a sheet of parchment.
*We wished mom goodbye and tried not to be too sad.
*Went to the store and got dog food and a new leash for nonobadbordercollie. Then to the grocery store to get baking supplies.
*Baked cupcakes with DD1- lemon cupcakes with a blueberry filling.
*Took son to his friend's house.
*Came home and somewhat collapsed on the couch. I was soooo tired.
*DD1 and DD2 SAID they cleaned their cupcake mess up. Then they ran off to the pool with a friend.
*Hauled myself up and realized their version of cleaning is vastly different than mine. Re-cleaned the kitchen.
*Chatted with my friend who came over for a minute to chat and drink coffee.
*Made icing with DD1. The storm that came in prevented them from swimming.
*Ordered pizza for dinner (friend dropped son back off at our house)
*Saw a pinterest pin from my sister about dog breeding and it sparked me to look up and re-read an old blog post from a blog I used to read all the time about a reaction to these types of posts (pictures of dog breeds then vs. dog breeds now). Posted the link to my sister, though that type of lengthy article with so much detail is probably only of interest to breeders and weirdos like me.
*Ate pizza with the kids. Tried to talk to them about the article but they didn't get it. heh.
*Now son has a DJ lesson soon
*My husband doesn't get home until way late. His plane had a problem and they deboarded everyone to fix it. So his flight home was, you guessed it, delayed. Isn't that always the case with him.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
How fun on getting to go see DS1 and his GF! Hope you catch up on that missing sleep tonight. I felt like I was dragging today. Maybe it was the oppressive humidity and coming storms.

My mom decided to leave early today to avoid driving in the hurricane conditions tomorrow. So today..
*I woke up at 7am and walked nonobadbordercollie. It was like walking in soup.
*Came home and chatted with my mom who broke the news that she would have to leave today.
*Made test icing and DD1 practiced icing cupcakes on a sheet of parchment.
*We wished mom goodbye and tried not to be too sad.
*Went to the store and got dog food and a new leash for nonobadbordercollie. Then to the grocery store to get baking supplies.
*Baked cupcakes with DD1- lemon cupcakes with a blueberry filling.
*Took son to his friend's house.
*Came home and somewhat collapsed on the couch. I was soooo tired.
*DD1 and DD2 SAID they cleaned their cupcake mess up. Then they ran off to the pool with a friend.
*Hauled myself up and realized their version of cleaning is vastly different than mine. Re-cleaned the kitchen.
*Chatted with my friend who came over for a minute to chat and drink coffee.
*Made icing with DD1. The storm that came in prevented them from swimming.
*Ordered pizza for dinner (friend dropped son back off at our house)
*Saw a pinterest pin from my sister about dog breeding and it sparked me to look up and re-read an old blog post from a blog I used to read all the time about a reaction to these types of posts (pictures of dog breeds then vs. dog breeds now). Posted the link to my sister, though that type of lengthy article with so much detail is probably only of interest to breeders and weirdos like me.
*Ate pizza with the kids. Tried to talk to them about the article but they didn't get it. heh.
*Now son has a DJ lesson soon
*My husband doesn't get home until way late. His plane had a problem and they deboarded everyone to fix it. So his flight home was, you guessed it, delayed. Isn't that always the case with him.
Wait, that sounds like fun, do you mind posting a link or something?

And I seriously thought of your DH last night with DS2's flight schedule karma. He was so excited heading out, too, because he's used to coast-to-coast and thought this one would be shorter ("I'm really looking forward to a plane trip that doesn't take all day!"). He sounded like one ruefully amused man around midnight last night.

Good travels to your mom ahead of the weather. Will you get much where you are?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Can I just say that I hate that in subscribed feeds, it no longer shows the forum where the thread being followed lives? I used that so much to navigate in the old forum, and now it's such a PITA to get around...

At any rate, we had a great afternoon. I cut out of work around 2:30, so that was awesome. Then -

- Went strawberry picking with husband and Little Man.
- Popped over to Wisconsin for New Glarus beer.
- Stopped at Savers and found some great Thomas stuff.
- Grabbed Panda Express for dinner.

And now Little Man is in bed, and I'm getting ready to do some office work. Then, a three day weekend!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
hi, and happy July, ladies! i'm new here, and i wanted to wiggle my way into a chat. hope you don't mind!
well, it's only 8:26 am now, and i just got up a while ago.
a tropical storm (Arthur, the devil is he ) has taken it's (or should i say his) toll, and Anna actually asked me if the house would blow down.
well, i just finished making breakfast, and Anna is still sleeping, so i'd better go get her. be back later!

i'm Opal, and i'm:
married to DH
Mommy to Anna (2) 1 angel baby and 1 little stork baby on the way
owned by 2 s, 1 , and 7 s
prisoner of .
proud CDing mama
a breastfeeding mama
and co-sleeping
well, that's me!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2anna View Post
hi, and happy July, ladies! i'm new here, and i wanted to wiggle my way into a chat. hope you don't mind!
a tropical storm (Arthur, the devil is he ) has taken it's (or should i say his) toll, and Anna actually asked me if the house would blow down.
well, i just finished making breakfast, and Anna is still sleeping, so i'd better go get her. be back later!
Welcome! It's always nice to have newcomers! And welcome to MDC! It seems like it's been a little quiet here. I think everyone is busy over the fourth.. hopefully having fun! Was the hurricane super windy for you guys? I hope your house actually didn't blow down (and there was no flooding where you are. I'm not sure what the extent of the damage with this hurricane was, I haven't really checked the news.). So I hope you were okay!
Maria- there was not much rain where my mom drove, I think she ended up getting lucky in that respect. We had some good rain here, but we're close to DC, I don't think it was due to the hurricane.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM

It's been a great weekend so far! So I'm a little behind:

Yesterday was the 4th. Happy 4th (I think most everyone who has posted to this thread is in the U.S., right?)!!
I had therapy early
Helped DD1 ice the cupcakes. The icing was sooo runny and I couldn;t seem to "de-runnify" it. Ugh. They were not the best cupcakes but oh well. Not using this book's icing recipes anymore.
Then I helped husband tidy up the house- swept, tidied the bathroom, vacuumed the stairs
Took both dogs to the dog park and it was really good dogs there today!
Went to the store for some stuff for people over that night- chips, etc. And they had whole wild sockeye salmon that they cleaned right in front of you on a really good sale.. and I got the trimmings, too, for free!. Yay me!
Came home and made french onion dip and vinegar based slaw
Fell asleep with a beer on the deck. heh
Made pulled pork sliders
Then friends came over and we spent the evening chatting and eating. Then we went to our friends apartment and watched fireworks from all over the place from their roof (22nd floor). Really cool but nothing beats actually being near one fireworks display.
*Watched a movie with everyone in the apartment's movie room.
*Went home to a nonobadbordercollie who had a noisy tummy and wouldn't eat dinner. Luckily no throwing up for her and by this morning she was fine!

Today was nice and easy.
Woke up late
DD2 had therapy and we were ALMOST late (oops)
Wandered the farmer's market and complained to DD2 about the prices of everything (when Whole Foods organic is cheaper, I say no way, can't afford your organic local food. Make is affordable and I'll do it because I like supporting local. *sigh*)
Came home and took nonobadbordercollie for a walk with husband and my friend.
Came home and made milkshakes and ate lunch.
Took the girls to the local "working farm" with badbordercollie and she was exposed to farm animals. She did pretty good! Was okay with them all except the pigs, which she wanted to totally gnaw on.
Picked wild raspberries on the trail and found a whole Qt. of them! (How's that for low cost local?!?!). Played in the nearby stream for a bit.
Came home with one exhausted nonobadbordercolliemix. Finally.
Now the girls are reading, son is spending the night at a friend's house. Husband is getting a haircut. We were supposed to go on a datenight with some friends but unfortunately I found out they were depending on my son to watch their 4 yr old. But he's not home. So we had to cancel. So not sure what the plans are for tonight. Hm.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamadly View Post
Wait, that sounds like fun, do you mind posting a link or something?

And I seriously thought of your DH last night with DS2's flight schedule karma. He was so excited heading out, too, because he's used to coast-to-coast and thought this one would be shorter ("I'm really looking forward to a plane trip that doesn't take all day!"). He sounded like one ruefully amused man around midnight last night.

Good travels to your mom ahead of the weather. Will you get much where you are?
No weather here. Rain, but I think we're too far inland (we're close to DC) for it to have been hurricane related.
How did DS2, do? Did he ever make it to see his GF? omg, flights today are terrible! It almost seems like it would be quicker to drive anywhere rather than fly. heh

Old 07-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Supremely lazy day here today. We were out late at fireworks last night, so we all slept in until almost 9 - even Little Man!

- Checked the coupon insert previews and decided not to go out for papers since it's only P&G this week.
- Made a cinnamon sugar streusel croissant braid for breakfast.
- Tidied the house.
- Put away some of the clean dishes drying in the sink.
- Loaded the dishwasher with dirty dishes and set it to run.
- Put pinto beans and kidney beans to soak for dinner.
- Rummaged around in the deep freeze in order to pull out ground beef, bacon and tomatoes to defrost dinner.
- Played trains with Little Man.
- Went out to the car to get the half-gallon canning jars I bought yesterday out of the trunk.
- Took a long nap while Little Man had his nap - staying out past our bedtime last night took it's toll.
- Started the beans to cook for dinner.
- Played Play-Doh with Little Man.

Still to come today -

- Organize the jars for pantry storage. I wanted them for more dried beans and specialty flours.
- Cook dinner.
- Work on a shopping list for tomorrow - we need random things like maple syrup and grated parmesan.
- Search for printable coupons and organize my coupon binder.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No weather here. Rain, but I think we're too far inland (we're close to DC) for it to have been hurricane related.
How did DS2, do? Did he ever make it to see his GF? omg, flights today are terrible! It almost seems like it would be quicker to drive anywhere rather than fly. heh
He got in fine, but well after midnight. He has to wait for his connecting flight for as long as it would have taken to drive to his destination, so yah, that sat real well. But he bottom-lined it when he told me "Well, it's worth it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
Supremely lazy day here today. We were out late at fireworks last night, so we all slept in until almost 9 - even Little Man!

- Checked the coupon insert previews and decided not to go out for papers since it's only P&G this week.
- Made a cinnamon sugar streusel croissant braid for breakfast.
- Tidied the house.
- Put away some of the clean dishes drying in the sink.
- Loaded the dishwasher with dirty dishes and set it to run.
- Put pinto beans and kidney beans to soak for dinner.
- Rummaged around in the deep freeze in order to pull out ground beef, bacon and tomatoes to defrost dinner.
- Went out to the car to get the half-gallon canning jars I bought yesterday out of the trunk.
- Took a long nap while Little Man had his nap - staying out past our bedtime last night took it's toll.
- Started the beans to cook for dinner.
- Played Play-Doh with Little Man.

Still to come today -

- Organize the jars for pantry storage. I wanted them for more dried beans and specialty flours.
- Cook dinner.
- Work on a shopping list for tomorrow - we need random things like maple syrup and grated parmesan.
- Search for printable coupons and organize my coupon binder.
Sounds wonderful, and such a nice breather for you!

Yesterday was really great here. Well, if you're DH and me. It poured rain, so we just enjoyed being home. Both of us purged papers (whee!), I bought a few groceries, made DS1 a loaf of bread for work lunches, and gathered things for today, when we

- washed and hung a load of laundry outside
- drove down to DS1 and his GF's
- helped box up some odd items
- made them pizza from scratch for lunch
- had a break to regroup -- let them eat their pizza in peace while DH and I took a quick walk and grabbed lunch out
- made a plan for taking some things to their new place tomorrow
- once home washed all the things we had taken down to work with (bowls, pans, etc.)

So today was packing, tomorrow is taking over the food and starting to get their new kitchen to rights. They're excited -- it's way bigger than their current one, which is almost too small to work in -- but exhausted, too. Be nice to know they're settled in. Movers come Monday, so the end is in sight!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2anna View Post
Welcome! We're in Northern New England and just had rain puking on us all day yesterday. Did end up with downed tree limbs, but from thunderstorms the night before Arthur hit . . . very odd. Hope everything your way held together. Nice to have you here!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Welcome! We're in Northern New England and just had rain puking on us all day yesterday.
I wish it would rain here - it's so humid you can just about make a hard boiled egg by leaving it on the counter...

Crazy morning of running around here -

- Made breakfast.
- Looked for coupons online and didn't find anything more to print.
- Updated my Cartwheel.
- Dropped husband off at work for a day shift.
- Went to Michaels to peruse 4th of July clearance and picked up a ton of great finds for just $14 total, since everything was 70% off - red/white/blue paper streamers, mini pinwheels, bendable red/white/blue burlap ribbon, a metallic star garland, a 5-pack of flag print stars with silver cord hangers, a star/jingle bell door hanger, and six packages of red/white hamburger trays (which I plan to use instead of paper plates for Little Man's birthday this fall).
- Went to Woodman's for groceries.
- Put away the cold groceries.
- Made lunch for Little Man and I.
- Struggled to put Little Man down for a late nap. He was not a happy camper.

And now I'm sitting on the couch, because I'm tired. I want to take a nap myself, but I still have so much to do today -

- Put away the rest of the groceries.
- Do a load of laundry.
- Put away clean dishes from the dishwasher.
- Load the dirty breakfast dishes into the dishwasher.
- Put away bulk food and cleaning supplies into the gallon jars (since I didn't do it yesterday).
- Deal with the four quarts of strawberries we still have left from strawberry picking the other day.

Ugh.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Ended up with a head ache all afternoon, so only ended up doing two things off my list -

- Put away clean dishes from the dishwasher.
- Load the dirty breakfast dishes into the dishwasher.

Little Man refused to nap, which doubly sucked - he was so grumpy! So we spent some time reading books and watching some PBS. All I could stand with the head ache. And I promised him I would bake with him today, so I mustered energy and braved the heat and made chocolate chip muffins with him. Now I've just finished cooking dinner, and will be heading to bed with a book soon...

Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE=meowmix;17756130]Welcome! It's always nice to have newcomers! And welcome to MDC! It seems like it's been a little quiet here. I think everyone is busy over the fourth.. hopefully having fun! Was the hurricane super windy for you guys? I hope your house actually didn't blow down (and there was no flooding where you are. I'm not sure what the extent of the damage with this hurricane was, I haven't really checked the news.). So I hope you were okay!
Maria- there was not much rain where my mom drove, I think she ended up getting lucky in that respect.
We had some good rain here, but we're close to DC, I don't think it was due to the hurricane.

well, it wasn't *really* a hurricane, just a *tropical storm* (don't ask me what the difference is) but we lost power for 2 days. yippee. we just got it back today, and i'm trying to catch up on some work- luckely, we have a propane stove and gravity fed spring, so we just had no fridge, freezer, TV, or electronics.

i'm Opal, and i'm:
married to DH
prisoner of .
proud CDing mama
a breastfeeding mama
and co-sleeping
well, that's me!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Welcome! We're in Northern New England and just had rain puking on us all day yesterday. Did end up with downed tree limbs, but from thunderstorms the night before Arthur hit . . . very odd. Hope everything your way held together. Nice to have you here!
it was just a *tropical storm* apparently. quite a few trees/limbs down here, no thunder... also no power for 2 days. yippee. doing much better now, and resting my arm from the crank radio.

i'm Opal, and i'm:
married to DH
prisoner of .
proud CDing mama
a breastfeeding mama
and co-sleeping
well, that's me!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday was another day of moving support:

- drove down to DS1-and-GF1's place
- boxed up last odds and ends
- packed up food
- drove to their new place
- cleaned their new kitchen
- put away perishables
- came home

It was our first visit to the new place, and we like it a lot. Large, comfortable kitchen (current one was close to a galley kitchen), well-kept building, cute vibrant neighborhood. Today they have movers coming. Logistics are under control, one of them is at the old place and one at the new, and signs were already up for the permitted parking the movers had arranged (very dense metro area).

My day looks a lot easier than theirs. I'm catching up around here. Next big hurdle is a cabinet of office supplies, many of which need to just. go. away.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 AM

I think yesterday was pretty nice and lazy. After all the busy-ness, I was fine with a day at home..
*Woke up at 7am.. thanks, nonobadbordercollie! heh
*Sat online and caught up on blogs
*Made homemade sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast
*Worked for a couple hours
*Joined husband outside while he made pallet furniture. It was gorgeous out yesterday.
*Finished reading, no joke, the cookbook I picked up at the thrift store. It's called Cooking in the British Isles and was printed in '69. And, besides recipes, it had all this commentary about life there and so it was really interesting and idyllic! (I do collect cookbooks when I see them cheap. Everything from those cheesy 99cent meal ones to old old ones. I can't seem to ever find anything older than 1941, though, at the cheap thrift store. I'll keep looking! I also like modern cookbooks that focus on seasonal cooking or are like Nigella Lawson and the like. Weird thing is, I hardly EVER use them. heh)
*Made pizza dough for pizza with the leftover chicken and sausage I had (I did use a cookbook recipe for my dough!)
*While the dough was rising, I played Uno with the girlies. Lots of Uno.
*Made the pizzas and husband cooked them on the pizza stone on the grill. They were tasty!
*Son was gone last night and spent most of the day with his friend. He was exhausted. So everyone except him took the dogs to the field by our house to play soccer and run around. Nonobadbordercollie was REALLY tired yesterday (DD2 also had taken her on a big walk earlier in the day)
*Came home and read to the kids and tucked them in
*Watched 24 with husband and went to bed!

Today I have already walked nonobadbordercollie 3.5 miles. She's beat and I think she will sleep a lot today. heh. I have to work and finish this spreadsheet and get the car inspected since we're overdue. First though, more coffee!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
*Finished reading, no joke, the cookbook I picked up at the thrift store. It's called Cooking in the British Isles and was printed in '69. And, besides recipes, it had all this commentary about life there and so it was really interesting and idyllic! (I do collect cookbooks when I see them cheap. Everything from those cheesy 99cent meal ones to old old ones. I can't seem to ever find anything older than 1941, though, at the cheap thrift store. I'll keep looking! I also like modern cookbooks that focus on seasonal cooking or are like Nigella Lawson and the like. Weird thing is, I hardly EVER use them. heh)
Cool! I collect cookbooks too, but I had to get a bit more selective when my collection hit 50 volumes... I think I've got it pared down to about 30-40ish now, and it still takes up its own three-shelf bookcase in the kitchen. :-) I mostly have classics now, as well as some vintage specialty cookbooks, many of them focusing on French cuisine (ah, la Belle France!).

Today at work was... well, it's over now. ;-) Decent evening though -

- Made dinner.
- Tidied up the kitchen.
- Did part of the bedtime routine with Little Man.
- Talked over car insurance options with husband.
- Looked at houses to book showings for with our realtor.
- Downloaded some books to my Kindle.

And now a little putzing around online, and relatively early to bed with a book.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Cool! I collect cookbooks too, but I had to get a bit more selective when my collection hit 50 volumes... I think I've got it pared down to about 30-40ish now, and it still takes up its own three-shelf bookcase in the kitchen. :-) I mostly have classics now, as well as some vintage specialty cookbooks, many of them focusing on French cuisine (ah, la Belle France!).
Oh wow. That's super cool! I am not too discriminatory now, unless I am purchasing it new. And I don't buy those Southern Living cookbooks with the years on them. Lukcily, we have this built in deep bookcase at the bottom of the stairs off the kitchen. So it's been dedicated to cookbooks. I do use two cookbooks a lot and they live in the kitchen.. one is a bread cookbook with some bread recipes I like and the other is a very well worn "Kitchen Companion" and gives the basic recipes for everything from sheet cake to biscuits to taco seasoning. It allows me to reference a recipe and modify it if I want. That would be so awesome, to say I had a collection of vintage specialty cookbooks!

Yesterday was about dogs and finding a dog door for my newfoundland. We want to go out of town with my husband and I was hoping to find a dog door for the dogs so I could leave them and my friend wouldn't have to stop by so often to let them out:
*Walked nonobadbordercollie 3.5 miles
*Worked and finished my spreadsheet
*Girls bathed both dogs (bathing a newfoundland in a bathroom bathtub is hilarious! Then they put on a "dog show" for me. Poor DD2, she had our newfie, who was just done all the attention and the baths. He's very introverted and has a poor newfie personality, I think. So he kept escaping and running away from her. Then she gave him commands he knows and he refused to do them, reducing her to almost tears. Newfie just sat there panting and not looking at her. He totally checked out (bad nanny newf! heh). DD1 had badbordercollie, who like a good people oriented dog, was completely 100% focused on DD1 and trotted into the room with her and performed her tricks like a pro. Poor DD2!
*Called around and found a Petco near us with a sliding glass dog door that might be big enough for my newfie.
*Picked up the pet door
*Got the car inspected and enjoyed Starbucks with a friend for a few moments while we waited for the car to be done
*Came home and hauled out the pet door. Discovered that there is no way my newfie is going to fit through this door. In fact, he almost broke it the first time he used it.
*Researched dog doors that installed in walls.
*Husband home to disappointed kids (no dog door meant no NY trip).
*We went out in the search of a bigger dog door for either a patio door or wall installation.
*No luck. Came back home and husband cooked dinner really quick and we did some brainstorming.
*My friend was fine with stopping by more often but while she is at work, we enlisted the help of son's friend. They have 3 dogs and he regularly walks the neighbor's dog. He will come over and walk nonobadbordercollie and make sure they are all let out while my friend is at work!
*Everyone excited about going to NY!
*Read to everyone and they went to bed HAPPY. Yay!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ Nice save on the trip! Your badnannynewf sounds suspiciously like my DH at his worst, though he's always been rather more self-reliant about his bathroom functions.

Waiting for DS2 to come home this evening. If his connection doesn't work out just right, looks like he'll end up spending the night in an airport -- an adventure everybody should have at least once, I guess. :P

Kind of a loose ends day today. I got groceries, will do a little cooking later on. Maybe purge that office supply cabinet. I did do a pass of my desk drawers yesterday and consolidated a bunch of greeting cards, donated and recycled others (both blank and received).

Old 07-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
^^^ Nice save on the trip! Your badnannynewf sounds suspiciously like my DH at his worst, though he's always been rather more self-reliant about his bathroom functions.
AHAHAHAH! That totally cracked me up! LOLOL. Hope your DS does not have to spend the night at the airport.. though, flights are always crazy now so that is a possibility. I drop my husband off at the airport and then will drive to NY. I told him it would be ironic if I dropped him off at the airport here and then picked him up at the airport in NY because his flight was delayed!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Oh wow. That's super cool! I am not too discriminatory now, unless I am purchasing it new. And I don't buy those Southern Living cookbooks with the years on them. Lukcily, we have this built in deep bookcase at the bottom of the stairs off the kitchen. So it's been dedicated to cookbooks. I do use two cookbooks a lot and they live in the kitchen.. one is a bread cookbook with some bread recipes I like and the other is a very well worn "Kitchen Companion" and gives the basic recipes for everything from sheet cake to biscuits to taco seasoning. It allows me to reference a recipe and modify it if I want. That would be so awesome, to say I had a collection of vintage specialty cookbooks!
I don't do those "annual" cookbook collections either - seems like the recipes in them are a dime a dozen, and can be found online. You mentioning your two go-to books got me thinking what mine would be if I could only choose two, and that is such a hard decision! If I had to pick two I'd probably settle on The Milk-Free Kitchen by Beth Kidder, and a handwritten one I put together myself of family recipe favorites. Really hard to choose though!

Today was a day. Nice enough evening though, now that I've dosed up on pain meds and am hopefully scotching a three-day migraine!

- Checked out Little Man's "pillow fort cottage" and "planted flowers" around it with him. He has such a great imagination!
- Played tangrams with Little Man.
- Looked through the mail.
- Organized the email box for my blog.
- Caught up on some email correspondence for my blog.
- Started dinner.
- Tidied the house.
- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man.
- Updated the grocery list.

And I can't believe it's already almost 8 PM! Seriously, where does the time go? Still to come -

- Review which houses to book showings for this weekend.
- Actually eat dinner.
- Write a blog post (because I have been woefully neglecting it again...)
- Watch a rerun of Downtown Abbey (PBS started back at the beginning for the run up to season 5). Never get tired of that show.

And to bed with a book!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AHAHAHAH! That totally cracked me up! LOLOL. Hope your DS does not have to spend the night at the airport.. though, flights are always crazy now so that is a possibility. I drop my husband off at the airport and then will drive to NY. I told him it would be ironic if I dropped him off at the airport here and then picked him up at the airport in NY because his flight was delayed!
He made it home, just past midnight again. Had to reschedule because one leg got cancelled, then one leg of new flight got delayed, but here he is. Sounds like your husband knows that drill exactly. Good travels to all of you!

Quote:
I don't do those "annual" cookbook collections either - seems like the recipes in them are a dime a dozen, and can be found online. You mentioning your two go-to books got me thinking what mine would be if I could only choose two, and that is such a hard decision! If I had to pick two I'd probably settle on The Milk-Free Kitchen by Beth Kidder, and a handwritten one I put together myself of family recipe favorites. Really hard to choose though!

Today was a day. Nice enough evening though, now that I've dosed up on pain meds and am hopefully scotching a three-day migraine!
My most-used cookbook is a repurposed photo album, one of those with pockets. Through the years I just tucked in recipe clippings, notes, etc., and it always ends up on top of the cookbook stack.

Hope you've been able to beat back that headache. And happy continued house-hunting!

More progress than expected yesterday:

- did finally manage to empty that cabinet of office supplies. It was one of the bottom kitchen ones (open concept, so made sense spacially); now I have space for pantry foods currently in basement
- took boxes of donations out to the car
- cooked a reheatable meal for DS2
- chatted back and forth with DS1 (they're in their new place! biggest adventure there was having to cut and fold box spring to get it up the stairs)
- took a nap
- got DS2 at airport

Today is the associated reorganizing and laundry that comes with unpacking. May start current pass mowing the yard. And maybe another nap.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This was from Monday. I posted it in the June thread. lol

*finished up the last session for a 4-day product test I did
*babysat two children, in addition to tending my own daughter
*went with my sister in law while she picked up something she bought on craigslist
*bought a few groceries
*made dinner and brownies (which we are about to eat warm with salted caramel icecream)
*did a little work (I work from home in customer service)
*washed (but did not put away) two loads of laundry
*changed the sheets on my daughters bed
*read two stories to my little girl, with lots of snuggles
*fought with my husband (ha!)
*vacuumed half the living room
*one load of dishes

Tuesday:
*cooked dinner
*tended 3 children
*did a little work on the computer

Today will be hectic, but I hope productive!

Mama to: one spunky girl and one angel baby Wife of over 10 years to an amazing man:
Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 AM

Yesterday:
*Worked in the morning a little (not enough)
*Because we're heading to NY, I had to cancel some lessons and reschedule some stuff so sent out emails about that
*Packed lunches and water
*Went out to the county park to have a picnic with the kids and son's friend.
*Hiked around for a few hours and let nonobadbordercollie and the kids wade in the water and catch tadpoles, etc. We had fun!
*Came home and was exhausted. I had been fighting a headache all day (thanks PMS)
*Found my friend sitting on my front stoop. Her husband was interviewing at their house and she was too nervous listening to it so she just came over to my house to hang out. heehee.
*Chatted with her a while and gave her the run down on caring for the dogs while we're gone
*She left and I spent WAY too much time browsing real estate in another state.
*Made dinner- made it up totally and it turned out really good.
*Son got his package he ordered. And the angels sang and much celebrating ensued (he's been eagerly awaiting this package).
*Discovered it did not come with a power cord!
*Son and husband went out to get the power cord. I read our book to the girls.
*Tucked the kids into bed a bit early so I could finish working.
*Worked and then went to bed!

Today we head out to NY so I probably won't post until Friday. Have a great week guys! Kitchensqueen, I hope your headache is gone this morning.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
My most-used cookbook is a repurposed photo album, one of those with pockets. Through the years I just tucked in recipe clippings, notes, etc., and it always ends up on top of the cookbook stack.

Hope you've been able to beat back that headache. And happy continued house-hunting!
Those are the best kinds of cookbooks. :-) The headache is down to a dull ache today, so much better. I do wish I could just one day lately without some part of my person feeling like crap! Sigh, could be worse. And we are seeing another ten houses Saturday; couple of really promising ones, so fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereamama View Post
This was from Monday. I posted it in the June thread. lol
Ha, I do that all the time!

Quote:
Kitchensqueen, I hope your headache is gone this morning.
Thanks! It was better than it has been!

Nice enough evening after work -

- Stopped at Target for hair color (need to look presentable tomorrow for a big meeting with execs... ugh) and found their beach/outdoor stuff at 50% off clearance - picked up a nice metal drink dispenser for $10 and a metal condiment/silverware caddy for $6 that I'm going to use for my home made cleaning supplies. Win!
- Tried on a bunch of clothes to figure out what to wear to the meeting tomorrow.
- Ate dinner with the boys.
- Helped Little Man tidy up the toys.

Still need to color my hair and do a little prep for the meeting tomorrow... but I really just want to go to bed. Can't wait for the weekend.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Hi ladies! I haven't been on this thread in awhile. I'm in my second trimester now so no more nausea and I'm getting some energy back. Hope you are all good!!

Pack DH lunch
Made breakfast
Put in a load of laundry
Got me and the kids dressed and ready
Went to dr appt.
Went to grocery store
Made lunch
Put DS down for a nap
Rested and made DD rest as well. ( she's home from school now, so I make her go in her room and read or watch something on the laptop )
Did dishes several times
Cleaned kitchen
Picked up house several times
Folded laundry
Vacuumed and dusted kids bedrooms
Swept and swiffered my bedroom and got under the bed really good, there might have been some dust bunnies
Dusted my room
Made dinner
Gave DS a bath
Cleaned up dinner
Picked up basement
Bed routine with kids
Kids in bed

Still need to finish cleaning up dinner
Take the clothes out of washer
Iron DH work clothes
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
Hi ladies! I haven't been on this thread in awhile. I'm in my second trimester now so no more nausea and I'm getting some energy back. Hope you are all good!!

Pack DH lunch
Made breakfast
Put in a load of laundry
Got me and the kids dressed and ready
Went to dr appt.
Went to grocery store
Made lunch
Put DS down for a nap
Rested and made DD rest as well. ( she's home from school now, so I make her go in her room and read or watch something on the laptop )
Did dishes several times
Cleaned kitchen
Picked up house several times
Folded laundry
Vacuumed and dusted kids bedrooms
Swept and swiffered my bedroom and got under the bed really good, there might have been some dust bunnies
Dusted my room
Made dinner
Gave DS a bath
Cleaned up dinner
Picked up basement
Bed routine with kids
Kids in bed

Still need to finish cleaning up dinner
Take the clothes out of washer
Iron DH work clothes
Welcome back, glad you're feeling well!

Yesterday was a feed-people-and-be-their-sounding-board sort of day, all very pleasant. Made DH some lunches to freeze for work, put together a salad for his dinner, cooked for DS2, chatted with both of them and DS1 on the phone. Then DS1 called back; they just moved, their copy of "Joy of Cooking" is still boxed up, how does he make such-and-such? Finally got dinner at 9 PM, then fell into bed.

Today so far:

- up early, started a load of laundry and out for blood work
- put on my treasurer's hat, deposited and recorded a dues check
- returned library books
- dropped off a couple boxes of donations
- swapped cars with DH
- home, hung laundry, had a late breakfast
- mowed part of the yard
- woke DS2 ("Time for the dentist!"); fed him, too
- helped my mother find a needle she had lost in her carpeting

That's next: dentist, library two buildings down for a book I want, natural food store, drop recycling off at dump. More mowing. And drinking more water. I hope tonight is uneventful.

User Tag List