2Likes
  • 1 Post By rightkindofme
  • 1 Post By rightkindofme

#1 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Long time no see. :)

Hello there! I used to post a bit. Hopefully some people remember me. I tried to be charming.

Anyway, I am planning a road trip for next year. I've wanted to do it for years but my kids were really little and you know how that goes. For all the years that I posted on MDC a lot I hoped that I would some day get to meet many of the fabulous women who helped me become the mother I am. Whether that be good or bad.

So, if you are interested in trying to get on my route, send me a private message and I will give you my email address.

Or you could be sneaky and google my handle and go find my real name and my website and then you'd have all the contact info anyone could want or need.

(Err, before you click on my website be aware that I write about rape and incest. Sorry. Schtuff happens sometimes. You don't have to read those parts to otherwise know me.)

Ahem. Anyway.

I spent a lot of happy hours while nursing dreaming about a Great North American MDC Mama Tour. I'm hoping I get to meet a few people.

Lots of love,
Krissy

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#2 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi!!! It's great to hear from you -- just recently I was wondering what you were up to. Just to warn you, it's mighty slooooow around here since the platform change, so responses might be sparse. But I'm super happy to see your name here!
#3 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mostly I save my writing for my personal writing because I've done a lot of damage to my arms in the last few years.

I've written two books! The first was about my horrific childhood as a "back story" before I could write other, more interesting books. My second is with an editor.

I ran a marathon and I consistently run half marathons. I'm home schooling my kids. I do a lot of gardening.

My life is going really well. How are you?

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
Mostly I save my writing for my personal writing because I've done a lot of damage to my arms in the last few years.

I've written two books! The first was about my horrific childhood as a "back story" before I could write other, more interesting books. My second is with an editor.

I ran a marathon and I consistently run half marathons. I'm home schooling my kids. I do a lot of gardening.

Its really good to see you again.

To catch up on me -- my oldest (who is both gifted and on the spectrum) is now in community college. And my youngest is attending a large public highschool (this is after homeschooling until they were 10 and 12).

I'm working on my certification to teach special education, and find it ironic after years of homeschooling, once starting a homeschool group, etc., that the next stage of my life is going to be about public school. But my kids grew up! I love working in a Title I school in an area with lots of recent immigrants.

An odd source of pride for me in my parenting is that my kids grew up safe, and that they got/get to make their own choices about when and with whom to first be sexual with. I don't talk about it much, because I don't think most people can understand. But I know that you do.

We still have lots of pets and plants and cooking projects, and too many books. We are no longer "on the move" as I gave my DH an ultimatum. The kids and I are staying here, and he can to, or not. He decided to forgo further promotions to stay in one place, and we bought a house and planted fruit trees.

And Limabean is right -- its very, very slow around here.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rightkindofme, YOU'RE BACK!! Good to see you. It's seriously a ghost-town around here. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well! I envy your marathon running; my goal is to take up yoga but I haven't done so yet.
My life is going well, except I am dealing with autoimmune issues. I'm sending my dd off to college this fall, so I'm feeling rather wistful about that. I'm so excited for her, but I will miss her.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Marathons and halfs, wow! That's really cool. And congrats on the books -- I hope it was cathartic to write the first.

I'm doing well -- not much has changed for me since you were last around. Still working from home, hanging with my kiddos, doing little yard and house projects, enjoying the hubby.

Oh, we got a puppy! She's the cutest, sweetest thing ever, a little 5-month-old black lab. She brings such a welcome spark of spontaneity and silliness to our house in the way that only a dog can. Having a dog really helps me to lighten up and roll with the punches -- I found myself getting way too rigid in the years after our last sweet pup died.

Anyway, that's all that's up here -- I hope more people chime in! We read snippets here and there about posters, but it's nice to get a little synopsis of people's lives everyone and then.
#7 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
am definitely not anywhere near your route (back living in Europe ...) but you are one of the people posting whose comments in any discussion i was always eager to read (did lots of lurking before getting the nerve to post ...) ....AND wondering what you could be looking like in real life too ...

don't want to post much about my life right now, it's been too chaotic and stressfull lately ..... MDC is my "escape time " these days ...
#8 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Hi, and welcome back! I hosted a big MDC Europe gathering way back in the day - what fun it is to get together with online friends.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#9 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Its really good to see you again.

To catch up on me -- my oldest (who is both gifted and on the spectrum) is now in community college. And my youngest is attending a large public highschool (this is after homeschooling until they were 10 and 12).

I'm working on my certification to teach special education, and find it ironic after years of homeschooling, once starting a homeschool group, etc., that the next stage of my life is going to be about public school. But my kids grew up! I love working in a Title I school in an area with lots of recent immigrants.

An odd source of pride for me in my parenting is that my kids grew up safe, and that they got/get to make their own choices about when and with whom to first be sexual with. I don't talk about it much, because I don't think most people can understand. But I know that you do.

We still have lots of pets and plants and cooking projects, and too many books. We are no longer "on the move" as I gave my DH an ultimatum. The kids and I are staying here, and he can to, or not. He decided to forgo further promotions to stay in one place, and we bought a house and planted fruit trees.

And Limabean is right -- its very, very slow around here.
I definitely understand having pride in creating a space where your kids get to make safe sexual choices. It is a big deal. Go you.

My husband and I speculate that after we finish paying off the mortgage we want to try and run a school. The logistics and specifics of this are still off in the distance. My background is public education and this jaunt to home school feels like a reprieve between hoards of children.

I'm really enjoying getting to focus on them and getting to know them.

Super cool that your son is in community college. That's where I started out.

I planted fruit trees! I'm staying FOREVER! I have apple (one of the cool kinds with three flavors: Gala, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious), cherry, plum, and orange.

Oh my garden has exploded. I'll tell you my plant list if you tell me yours. <3

#10 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Rightkindofme, YOU'RE BACK!! Good to see you. It's seriously a ghost-town around here. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well! I envy your marathon running; my goal is to take up yoga but I haven't done so yet.
My life is going well, except I am dealing with autoimmune issues. I'm sending my dd off to college this fall, so I'm feeling rather wistful about that. I'm so excited for her, but I will miss her.
I'm back hoping that my inbox will be flooded with "Oh I remember you Come See Me!" So far, nada. We'll see how my ego takes the rejection.

I'm more of a marathon walker. I'm hella slow and I'm very ok with that. My first marathon was 6 hours and 45 minutes. The half distance is so much easier.

I'm sorry to hear about autoimmune stuff. That can be a serious challenge.

I can't even think about my kids going away yet. I'm so enmeshed. My oldest is six and my youngest is almost four. They seem too old already...

#11 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Marathons and halfs, wow! That's really cool. And congrats on the books -- I hope it was cathartic to write the first.

I'm doing well -- not much has changed for me since you were last around. Still working from home, hanging with my kiddos, doing little yard and house projects, enjoying the hubby.

Oh, we got a puppy! She's the cutest, sweetest thing ever, a little 5-month-old black lab. She brings such a welcome spark of spontaneity and silliness to our house in the way that only a dog can. Having a dog really helps me to lighten up and roll with the punches -- I found myself getting way too rigid in the years after our last sweet pup died.

Anyway, that's all that's up here -- I hope more people chime in! We read snippets here and there about posters, but it's nice to get a little synopsis of people's lives everyone and then.
Writing the first book was very cathartic. People who have known me for many years read it and were blown away. They had no idea. How could they have known? There is just *so much*. Oh it hurt to write.

My second book is a harm reduction book for teenagers. All the stuff I wish I had known when I was twelve. It's more chipper but still intense.

Yay for new puppies. That sounds like a lot of fun.

What sort of garden projects are you up to?

#12 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post
am definitely not anywhere near your route (back living in Europe ...) but you are one of the people posting whose comments in any discussion i was always eager to read (did lots of lurking before getting the nerve to post ...) ....AND wondering what you could be looking like in real life too ...

don't want to post much about my life right now, it's been too chaotic and stressfull lately ..... MDC is my "escape time " these days ...
Thanks! I'm not sure I'm going to become a regular again (my wrists rebel regularly) but I miss the community. I may try to drop by to give my clue by four of advice once in a while.

#13 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
Hi, and welcome back! I hosted a big MDC Europe gathering way back in the day - what fun it is to get together with online friends.
I tried to get together with a nice MDC mama in Europe when I was in Scotland and it didn't work out. I was seriously bummed.

I'm still best friends with a lady I met through here. <3 We talk all the time. I cleaned her basement on Friday.
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#14 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm back hoping that my inbox will be flooded with "Oh I remember you Come See Me!" So far, nada. We'll see how my ego takes the rejection.

I'm more of a marathon walker. I'm hella slow and I'm very ok with that. My first marathon was 6 hours and 45 minutes. The half distance is so much easier.

I'm sorry to hear about autoimmune stuff. That can be a serious challenge.

I can't even think about my kids going away yet. I'm so enmeshed. My oldest is six and my youngest is almost four. They seem too old already...

My house is too small for guest accommodations, but if you happen to be in Utah, I'd love to meet you.

Yep, kids grow up way too fast. Fortunately my son is still in jr. high so I won't have an empty nest yet.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
My house is too small for guest accommodations, but if you happen to be in Utah, I'd love to meet you.

Yep, kids grow up way too fast. Fortunately my son is still in jr. high so I won't have an empty nest yet.
No accommodations needed anywhere on the trip. We are going to be traveling for a bit over five months. I think routine will be very important and part of that will be consistent sleeping arrangements. Otherwise I will lose my mind and that's bad on a solo road trip with small children.

We will absolutely be going through Utah and meeting you would be a treat.
A&A likes this.

#16 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Welcome back!
I underwent a little name change while you were gone...
I will never forget your advice and caring comments (regarding that person who turned out to be an everyday sociopath...). Glad to see you back here and have a fab trip!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page