• 1 Post By meemee
  • 2 Post By limabean
  • 1 Post By IdentityCrisisMama
  • 1 Post By SweetSilver

#1 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
How common are indecencies towards women/girls??

DH and I were discussing a recent rude advance on my 16yo niece and got to talking about everyday dumb advances like this one, and also predatory behavior and worse. (My niece was feeling guilty about curtly brushing the guy off and not being sweet.) DH said that he understands that actually being whisked off by a predator is less common that we fear.

I agreed, perhaps on this one level, but beyond abduction, I said that we will never know how common rape or indecency is because it is grossly underreported, especially indecent behavior.

He was shocked to hear that in my ordinary life, I've seen 3 men masturbating while watching me (and that's just who I've noticed), seen at least one man lurking oddly (and once recently with my daughters at a large grocery store), had one abduction attempt when I was in first grade, had my crotch grabbed in the cafeteria in junior high, and can count at least 2 men I knew who (in hindsight as a wiser adult) engaged in preliminary grooming behaviors with me.

I told dh that I didn't think my experiences were out of the ordinary for women at all. That we simply don't talk about it. Well, now I'm talking about it.
beckybird and pumabearclan like this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nothing like the things you mentioned has ever happened to me. I have no idea whether that's out of the ordinary or not.
#3 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I'm thinking it's "ordinary" when it isn't?

#4 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure if it's ordinary or not as far as how common it is but I've witnessed a lot of the same that you're talking about. I was the target of quite a few attacks of sorts in school at least three that I would say were very aggressive to the point of being full attacks had someone not stepped in. I've also been followed, stalked, pushed around, and the object of a lot of unwanted attention as an adult as well but I did bartend for a decade so in nightclubs you can imagine that's going to happen. Luckily again there I had security to protect me and nothing unduly ever happened to me there. I see a lot of rude and ignorant behavior towards women just in public - you know the whistling and calling stupid names, making rude comments. I find it to be maybe not "common" but certainly not uncommon enough to surprise you to see it around here. I have figured out a definite pattern to this in my area at least though and am thus able to avoid it in general.

I think the scariest moment for me was the day we went to eat with my oldest two as babies, DD maybe 3-4. We stopped off at Burger King and a strange man sat in the booth behind us. I didn't notice him at first but then realized he was sitting there and staring at DD. Something freaky about the way he was looking and he seemed a little familiar. We ran out of there with our food and he'd parked near us. A white van that you could tell had toys in it. I checked that evening and he seemed familiar b/c I'd seen his face on the SO registry. *shudder*

Another note as far as things being unreported I know of at least 2 rapes/child molestations that were unreported because of family BS and 2 more that have been accused and I'm pretty certain of although some people have doubts. Turns my stomach to wonder how many more "nice" guys running around are actually child molesters too.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#5 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
i would say it is very ordinary. in fact it is unusual to have someone not groped, or deal with some unpleasant advances.

i have had this conversation many times over. since high school.

there are regional connotations to this. some places have them more than others.

i will go as far as to say there are very rare woman who have not faced some sort of lewd gesture - at some point in their life.
pumabearclan likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
An older relative had several experiences in the late 50's or early 60's as a girl/young woman... A man following her home from school, a serviceman (home repair, not military) in her home touching her breasts, a man sticking his hand under her as she sat down on public transportation.

In my college, there was a man (not a student) who was exposing himself to female students.

I'm sure I got some lewd comments as a teenager and young woman. But nothing major that I remember now. Any unwanted advances were from peers and didn't continue after I made my disinterest clear. I might have needed to be blunt/rude at times.

ETA: A couple of years ago, I took my son swimming and a guy was staring at me inappropriately. That was pretty gross (he was staring at my body, not making eye contact, practically drooling) and has made me not want to go back to that swimming location. I wouldn't have been bothered by someone who made eye contact and whose eyes wandered around before making more eye contact. That falls under human nature. But this guy's stare was completely objectifying. And you can't really complain/report that someone is looking at you in a public situation:-/

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Last edited by 4evermom; 07-10-2014 at 07:32 AM.
#7 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that sadly, your experience is more common than anyone would like to believe. I've had a few uncomfortable instances and I live a pretty sheltered life. But I've been cornered coming out of a bar bathroom, been felt up on a dance floor by someone I knew well enough that he should have never touched me and the target of "but I really like you, we should go out" pestering, after being told very clearly I wasn't interested. I won't even mention the date rape

A few years ago my 11 year old son picked up on a creeper watching his 6 year old sister. I had sent him to go sit at a table in a restaurant with her, because the guy kept getting too close to her. He just gave me the heebie jeebies. They went and sat down, he came and sat 5 feet away from them. Ds came right back to me and said the guy gave him the creeps. If an 11 year old boy picks up on your creeper vibe, you're creepy!

My bff takes the L and the bus and had been rubbed up on, seen more unknown penis than anyone ever should, had men harass her for her number, use a very awful racist movie line on her more than once and about a million other uncomfortable situations.

So I think your experiences are pretty common.
#8 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I agree with the other posters, these experiences are common. I was lured in to bad situations and hurt twice as a pre-teen, had guys whistle and make lewd comments starting at age 10, have been solicited many times, groped, and sexually harassed at work. It seems to be something treated as guys being normal but I hate that these things are treated that way. I also know three women who were date raped but didn't report it so the underreporting of rape is definitely a real thing to imo.
#9 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I completely agree with you, Sweet Silver -- I think your experience, sadly, is perfectly ordinary. Of my women friends, I can't think of a single one who hasn't had some sort of upsetting sexual interaction.

I've had lots, from childhood on, and I don't think my case is particularly "bad" or unique.

I hesitate to type this for fear of offending, but the comic Amy Schumer has a line in her act that says something about how every woman has been at least "a little bit raped." Very dark humor obviously, but I related to it instantly. If someone asked me if I've been raped, I would say no, but I do feel like I sort of have. I think many women feel that way.
meemee and crazyms like this.
#10 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree. Very common and I think becoming more so. These "minor" incidents need to be teaching moments so our girls have a stronger chance of avoiding worse situations in the future. Being "nice" when saying "no" sometimes gets taken as a "yes" by the wrong person.
#11 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yes, common and not acceptable. Teaching moments for our girls AND boys, please.
AAK likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#12 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Heh. Yeah. I actually only have boys and these will definitely be teaching moments for them too. But I do worry more about the girls when I hear/see these things happening. I had lots of close encounters when I was younger and didn't realize til after the fact just how lucky I was that there wasn't a far worse outcome.
#13 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I generally have not had these problems, but it's not my impression that they're not normal - I think I'm sometimes a touch oblivious, and that I was very sheltered during my childhood. Unfortunately, I think SweetSilver's set of experiences is more common.

And even oblivious me has a fair bit of experience being followed, harassed, catcalled, pressured for sex, and approached in incredibly inappropriate ways. When I say "I generally have not had these problems", I mostly mean that they aren't my daily experience. Once a month, once a week at most.
#14 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Common. . . let's see what I can remember
A man followed me around downtown for awhile--I was about 13 and actually shopping with my mom, but she went to a different department. I was freaked out and so when he followed me up an escalator, called out "mom" on the next floor and acted like I was finding her.

All sorts of rude gestures, etc in middle school -- how could people make it through without it happening? One that I especially remember wasn't directed at me. A boy in art class took a T-square and made as if another girl "needed some" so badly that she would use the T-square. He operated it as if it was on a hinge and was rhymically going down and up.

A creepy guy was taking pictures of girls at a local water park. He was removed from the facilities by the owners.

In high school boys liked to try to embarrass girls (or maybe they were trying to find out who was uptight/not) by describing sexual acts and asking if we liked them.

After college, at my first professional job, my coworker constantly made comments. He named my breasts at one point. Yes, it would classify as sexual harassment, but I never felt threatened and he really helped me out a lot too.

I am sure there are more.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#15 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM

well not ALL men are the same. not ALL of them have one track minds like Wolowitz from Big Bang Theory before his marriage. i mean look they created that character and all he got for being so nasty and creepy was - being ignored by penny. nothing else. let a woman do that in a show and all hell breaks lose. though i havent watched cougar.

there are just some men - who feel justified to do so. i've been thru the whole gamut. from snide remarks to rape. but the hardest for me is this attitude. i just cant stand the attitude that its their right to do what they do. and they dont even try to hide it.

i wonder how it is for men. what do creepy women look like? are they real - society's idea of creepy woman - or something someone created and that's what one sticks by?!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 20 Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
All sorts of rude gestures, etc in middle school -- how could people make it through without it happening?
I wonder this too. I went to middle school in a safe middle-class neighborhood, and I saw and heard more graphic, disturbing things in those 3 years than ever before or since. Everyone seemed to get over the shock value by high school, which was much more tame by comparison.

But yeesh, the things middle school kids say and do haunt me still. I see some of the same type of stuff in my 13yo niece through her Instagram account. It makes me worried for when my kids reach that age.
#17 of 20 Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

My experiences peaked in middle school as well. 12-14yo, with a little happening in early high school and into my early 20's. But nothing compared to middle school. It seemed like the predators were crawling out of the woodwork, though it was only once I became an adult that I recognized the behavior.
AAK likes this.

#18 of 20 Old 07-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
But nothing compared to middle school. It seemed like the predators were crawling out of the woodwork, though it was only once I became an adult that I recognized the behavior.
are you talking about adults when you say predators? or other middle and high school kids?

i remember that i became more aware during middle school and what stuck out for me was the awarness around adults. some of the men's glances creeped me out when i was younger. but it was in middle school when i really developed breasts that i became aware of the adults. (my school experience was different because i grew up in asia and i'd been with my classmates since K so did not really face too much school stuff)

#19 of 20 Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
are you talking about adults when you say predators? or other middle and high school kids?
In my experience, yes. Middle school kids were not immune from crude gestures (thus the one-off crotch grab) but as far as "predators"-- those who would groom and gain trust for later nefarious purposes, men who follow and lurk and plan-- in my experience none were kids.

#20 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 AM

this article reminded me of this of this thread.

it raises the question for me (not this particular scenario, but this is a common scenario in the workplace, inspite of harrassment procedures in place) - how do i protect my dd, and how do i empower her to be able to 'defend' herself.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014...ntent=20140717

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page