- home; put things away, had a late breakfast
- decluttered a bit, purged some books, put some papers away
- fed DS2
- emailed some people about candidates forum
- knee PT
- fed DS2
- made dinner
- kept ahead of dirty dishes

Guess who just came down asking for more food! :-)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#32 of 126 Old 08-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Those boys. All they do is eat. heh

Yesterday was a day of appts:
*Did not walk badbordercollie. She was too sore from the day before!
*Worked and sent off my spreadsheet
*Took badbordercollie to her routine vet appt (where she was healthy, they had to muzzle her for shots and they told me she was "a little overweight". oops)
*Helped DD1 and her friend get started baking cupcakes. They made pink champagne mini cupcakes, dipped the tops in white chocolate and frosted them with pink champagne frosting. OMG.. so good.
*DD1's friend brought over a cake with fondant icing for us to try. Can you tell her friend wants to be in business with DD1 and that DD1 has a cupcake/party planning business? lol
*Went to my therapy appt
*Stopped at the grocery store
*Took all the kids to the pool
*Met my friend to discuss the future of DD1 and her friend being in business together. They decided to amicably separate and DD1 will pick her neighbor friend to help her (the other friend, her best friend, does not have time to help her out. She was a founding member of the business though and DD1 was feeling sad about dropping her out)
*Picked kids up from the pool
*Cleaned up our messy front yard
*Walked badbordercollie with my friend
*Ordered pizza for dinner, friends who were supposed to come canceled, invited my walking friend to join us to help eat all this pizza
*trained badbordercollie
*Took the dogs and kids to the field to run around and play ball while son went to DJ lesson.
*Son came home and said there was a DJ competition he would be in and his teacher thought he would do very well!
*Tucked kids in. Watched Extant.. a TV show that is totally freaking me out.
*Went to bed!

This weekend we are going camping so I might not be on until Sunday.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#33 of 126 Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Yay for your DD1 gracefully navigating her business and friendships. I love the vicarious carb hit from reading about her work!

Already got a good start on the day here:

- up and ready early, ran a load of laundry
- hung it outside because we finally have a no-rain forecast
- took mother for blood work
- took mother out to breakfast

Now it's home-ish stuff. There must be something to tidy up or declutter, and I haven't yet had my online bank balance fix of the day (don't do a monthly reconciliation, just run it in my head most mornings). Maybe some weeding in the yard, or an outing with DS2.

@meowmix happy camping!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#34 of 126 Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamadly View Post
Yay for your DD1 gracefully navigating her business and friendships. I love the vicarious carb hit from reading about her work!

@meowmix happy camping!
Thanks! What time do you get up? Or do you eat breakfast late? You always do so much before breakfast.

I'm back on for a break because I need more coffee and I'm beat even before we camp.
So far:
*walked badbordercollie
*piddled around a bit- reading blogs and stuff, grumped at DD2 for losing her library book that's due today
*Moved the couch in the quest for the library book. Was HORRIFIED by the dirt and dog hair so swept all that up
*Took DD1 out and returned library books
*Went to Target to get some camping stuff (bug spray, inner tubes, etc)
*Went to, guess where? ....the grocery store. Was exhausted in the store and my achilles is really bothering me today
*Unloaded the groceries.
*Loaded up the camper with food and stuff
*Packed clothes and toiletries
*Put some towels in the washer because I realized ALL our towels are dirty
*Swept the floor, changed out the cat litter, emptied the bathroom trash can
*Now I'm drinking coffee because my achilles hurts and I am just out of spoons for the moment. We're hoping to leave for the campground in about an hour... where I am glad we are not tent camping (no tent to set up!) and we can park and crack open a beer.. though the kids will probably drag us down to the water first.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#35 of 126 Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM

^^^ I'm usually up by 7 AM, most days try for earlier, feel really behind if it's any later. Breakfast is fine any time before 10 AM. This morning I grabbed one early in case mother didn't want to go out and had a light one with her. Like hobbits. Sort of productive through the rest of the day, too:

- hand-trimmed some grass in the dooryard
- wiped down some dust / pollen / other airborne crap from various surfaces in the house
- quick run to food co-op, we didn't have scallions
- baked rolls for this evening's hamburgers
- folded laundry and put it away
- prepped the tray of meat for our BBQ
- various in-person and electronic give-and-take with DH, DS1, DS2
- ran some bank balance numbers; trying to pay off our mortgage early, that kind of thing

And now to keep DH company by an open flame.

#36 of 126 Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My boss authorized an early departure for my department and the other department in our division, so were done three hours early today. So nice!

- Clipped some coupons.
- Looked through the mail.
- Paid some bills and did some banking.
- Took Little Man to Target to pick up a few groceries.
- Stopped into Dollar Tree to see if they had Pop-Tarts, but that was location was out.
- Snuggled with Little Man and read books.

Now I'm taking a few minutes on here while Little Man reads for little while before finishing the rest of his dinner. He didn't have a nap at all today, so I'm probably going to get him down to bed in the next hour. After bedtime I need to do a little bit of work, write some blog posts and get our bag ready for swim lessons tomorrow.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#37 of 126 Old 08-09-2014, 03:54 PM

@kitchensqueen nice break yesterday!

Hoping to make tomorrow lazier:

- washed and hung a load of laundry outside
- hand-trimmed grass around the house
- butt-dialing DS1 in the process
- paid some bills
- took mother to church
- stopped by the bookstore, found a title I wanted that I put on hold at the library
- cut onions for dinner

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend!

#38 of 126 Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@kitchensqueen nice break yesterday!
It definitely was, especially since we had a super busy day today -

- Dropped husband off at work for a day shift.

- Went to swim lessons with Little Man.

- Went to Target to pick up a prescription. Also scored another couple of packages of Skippy singles for $0.74 each with coupons and Cartwheel, and found some baked beans on clearance so snapped those up too.

- Went to Dollar Tree for more $0.25 Poptarts with coupons. Also picked up a few grass skirts and leis to wear at my niece's birthday party. Also found a single serving size of Stovetop stuffing, which will come in handy for our camping trip. And if that wasn't enough, I discovered that they now carry their own line of haunted village, so I picked up a few wire trees and gargoyle statues to go with the haunted village we made last year. And they had cute little feathered owl figures, so we picked up four of those. Fall and Halloween are one of my favorite time of year to decorate for.

- Stopped at Hobby Lobby - just picked up a wooden pumpkin for Little Man to decorate for his room, and another paracord bracelet, so we each have one now.

- Came home and made lunch.

- Stopped to pick up a gift card for my niece for her birthday.

- Went to my sister's for the birthday party.

- Picked husband up from work.

- Made dinner.

- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man.

And now, despite all of the other things I want to do, I'll probably go to bed soon. Not feeling to hot today.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#39 of 126 Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
Honestly, I make it so he's not really aware of them. Most of the time I just soldier on. Since I have lupus, I make an extra effort to be okay in front of him - I don't want him to look back on his childhood and have his presiding memory being of mommy being sick all the time.
well, you must be very strong. i feel stupid asking this, but what is lupus?

i'm Opal, and i'm:
married to DH
Mommy to Anna (2) 1 angel baby and 1 little stork baby on the way
owned by 2 s, 1 , and 7 s
prisoner of .
proud CDing mama
a breastfeeding mama
and co-sleeping
well, that's me!
#40 of 126 Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2anna View Post
well, you must be very strong. i feel stupid asking this, but what is lupus?
I don't know if I'm strong per se, but I am very stubborn and driven. Which is the same thing in practice, I supposed. Lupus is an auto immune disorder, which is a chronic illness. The most common symptoms are severe joint paint/inflammation and fatigue. So basically - you just feel like crap a lot of the time. You learn to live with it, and cope with the symptoms. On the really bad days, you dose up on pain meds and try to rest.

Today is proving to be one of those days where I might be overdoing it, but onward we go.

- Made bacon, eggs and croissants for breakfast.
- Put pinto and kidney beans to soak for chili.
- Ran out to Target to pick up diapers. I forgot to get them earlier this week and potty training isn't going as smoothly as I'd hoped. Also found a pair of shorts for Little Man on clearance, and splurged on two new cardigans for myself - my work-friendly wardrobe is looking pretty sparse.
- Put away the shopping.
- Started a load of laundry.
- Colored with Little Man.
- Played trains with Little Man.
- Tidied Little Man's room.
- Organized my work bag.
- Cleared out the junk under the kitchen sink and reorganized it so that I can actually find what I want.
- Tidied up the pantry some more using the baskets I picked up the other day - I love them so much, I'm going to pick up another two sets when I go to Target next.
- Laid out the ingredients to make pumpkin butter in the crockpot - I'm going to do a double batch so I can make muffins when ever I want.
- Fed Little Man lunch.
- Put Little Man down for a nap.

Now I'm relaxing for a bit, and I need to figure out what to have for lunch myself - I don't have a taste for anything, so I'll probably do something lazy like a baked potato. Still to come today -

- Put away the laundry.
- Put away clean dishes.
- Start the pumpkin butter in the crockpot.
- Make a batch of bacon and whiskey chili for dinner, and to freeze some.
- Make a batch of bolognese to freeze (trying to use up the bacon I opened today, since we won't eat any more fried this week before it goes bad).
- Dice and freeze a zucchini my sister gave me.
- Bake pumpkin muffins.
- Write some blog posts - for real - I have a bunch of book reviews to get done.

And that's probably more than enough for today.

#41 of 126 Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Doing well on the to-do list for this afternoon -

- Put away the laundry.
- Made myself lunch.
- Organized the second vegetable drawer in the fridge with the last basket I had.
- Laid out clothes for work tomorrow.
- Put away clean dishes.
- Started the pumpkin butter in the crockpot.
- Put the beans to cook so I can make chili later when they're done.
- Printed some coupons.

And Little Man has finally fallen asleep, so now I'm going to watch a Downton Abbey while I clip coupons and organize my binder.

#42 of 126 Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 PM

Did I say the plan was a lazy day? Had my moments:

- slept until after 8:00 AM
- up, showered, breakfasted
- made up my grocery list for tomorrow
- got a start on burning our many cubic feet of old receipts in the chiminea
- woke DS2 from a nap (he can be a tough one to get up and moving)
- emailed DS1 an update of things-around-here
- read a little
- went next door to give the horses some hay
- took a shift mowing part of the yard
- must have done it looking like hell, because DH just sent me inside and is doing the rest of it
- made and froze scones
- chatted on phone with DS1

Remainder of the day is feeding people and getting things ready for tomorrow's run to the post office and grocery store.

Last edited by mariamadly; 08-10-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: accomplished scones, etc.
#43 of 126 Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 AM

Ok. We had a BLAST camping. Wore my badbordercollie AND my kids and myself out. Went tubing down the river, drank a bit too much the first night, ate many oreos and got ice cream. Kids played on the playground and ran around and waded in the river. All in all a blast. Promised te drive in theater on Saturday but didn't make it so promised son we would see the movie when we got back. So yesterday, after packing up and meandering our way back home, we stopped for lunch and drove home leisurely.

Then came home to one find one of our pet ratties had passed away while we were gone. She had a tumor and was 3+ years old so I had been preparing the kids. But it was still really sad. Especially since my friend had checked on them Friday night before they came out to the campsite to meet us and they were both fine then. So I guess she died on Saturday sometime. The girls were pretty upset and we buried her out in the front yard under her favorite bush. For the record, rats make fabulous pets. They are smart and loveable and attach themselves to their people. The girls would let the rats out and they would run around the room and always stay near the girls and come back to them (unlike, say, a mouse, who would just run off). I compare the rats to dogs and cats as pets. So we only have one lonely rattie left.

After burying our pet, we still decided to go to the movie to distract the girls. We went out and saw Guardians of the Galaxy, which was pretty cute. Ate dinner with our friends who camped with us. Then came home early to unload the camper. I had the beginnings of a headache which got worse as the night wore on. Up most of the night tossing and turning with the headache. Woke this morning with the headache. Ate breakfast and took some ibu and the edge is finally off. I can feel it has potential to return (like that twinge of a headache sitting behind my right eye, lurking in the shadows for me to do too much today so it can return with a vengeance to stab at me) so I'm going to do a bit today but not as much as I planned.

Glad to be back, though! Hope you all had a good weekend!

#44 of 126 Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM

@meowmix Oh, no, so sorry about your rattie! They do seem like they attach really well. Give the lonely one an illicit treat for me, OK? Take it easy today and good luck keeping your headache at bay.

And starting the week:

- post office, mailed GF2's box
- grocery store
- put away the haul; it's easier now that more pantry space is clear in the kitchen, fewer runs to the basement
- just wrote and submitted a scholarship recommendation for a friend who's going after finishing her bachelor's

Still want to:

- rearrange outdoor furniture from mowing yesterday -- done
- ditto large planter of annuals -- done
- burn more papers -- done

I also managed to:

- transplant my avocado
- leave a voice mail for one of the tech support staff where we're having candidates forum next week; since phone work horrifies me, this was a big deal

Last edited by mariamadly; 08-11-2014 at 10:27 AM.
#45 of 126 Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
Woke this morning with the headache.
That is seriously the worst.

After a very long day at work today -

- Watched a few Thomas episodes with Little Man and husband.
- Helped husband start dinner.
- Browsed through some magazines I got in the mail.
- Checked the home listings - nothing new to schedule. Meh.

On the docket after husband gets Little Man out of his bath and I put him to bed -

- Pinterest.
- Blog posts.
- Mindless television watching with husband - maybe a few episodes of Hotel Hell.
- Earlyish bedtime if I know what's good for me.

#46 of 126 Old 08-12-2014, 05:19 AM

Ugh. Was definitely sick yesterday. Thanks for the well wishes.

*Nursed my headache by insisting all the lights were off in the house
*Managed to make it go away kind of
*Took DD1 to camp
*Kids helped me unload the food from the camper
*Vacuumed the stairs and living level
*Started some laundry, folded towels
*Made soap with DD2 and her friend (we had a kit that made cupcake soaps!)
*Felt my headache returning and actually fell asleep on the couch while making soaps
*Got a call from DD1 saying she threw up at camp
*Picked her up
*Called husband and asked him to do dinner since I hadn't had time to grocery shop yet
*Had her lay down and I fell asleep, too
*Woke up when friend came to pick up her daughter
*Went back to sleep
*Woke up when husband got home. He cleaned the soap mess up and cooked dinner because he is amazing
*Came up long enough to eat dinner and take more ibu
*Went to bed with the kids

This morning I STILL HAVE THIS FREAKIN HEADACHE. But it's not as bad and I don't feel the fatigue I felt yesterday.Hopefully I am on the mend. Luckily DD1 napped and felt better. This morning she feels good enough to go to camp so I am going to rally in this rainy weather and take her.

#47 of 126 Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This morning I STILL HAVE THIS FREAKIN HEADACHE. But it's not as bad and I don't feel the fatigue I felt yesterday.Hopefully I am on the mend.
That sucks - do you try cold compresses? Though I am feeling de ja vu at asking - I feel like every few months we all have headache outbreaks! WTH.

Work was work (funny how that plays out) and after has been fairly decent -

- Made dinner.
- Looked through the new sales papers.
- Looked through a Busy Town book with Little Man while coaxing him to eat relatively healthy food for dinner.
- Put away clean dishes from the dishwasher.
- Looked over some work emails (though that is it for tonight - I'm tired).
- Got Little Man ready to do bedtime with husband.
- Browsed house listings - still nothing new. Ugh.

Next up - eat dinner, watch some Hotel Hell with husband, think about writing blog posts even though I won't, Pinterest. Average Tuesday. :-)

#48 of 126 Old 08-13-2014, 04:34 AM

Heavy rain today, so got a couple of nice-weather things out of the way yesterday:

- washed, hung, folded, put away a load of laundry
- burned most of the rest of that huge box of papers that needed to go away
- errands: library, food co-op, bird feeder store, bookstore (DS2 found something, I made notes for future library trips)
- typical food prep and race-ahead-of-dirty-dishes

Today is still a couple of errands, then things around the house. Starting with pumpkin garlic knots for DS2.

#49 of 126 Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
That sucks - do you try cold compresses? Though I am feeling de ja vu at asking - I feel like every few months we all have headache outbreaks! WTH.
)
We both seem to suffer from headaches and we both have autoimmune issues that cause joint inflammation and fatigue. I wonder if the headaches are a side effect of that. I've not had autoimmune issues my entire life but I have had headaches my whole life. How about you? DD2 also gets more headaches and worse headaches than her siblings or her peers. I'm hoping it isn't a sign of future things to come for her.

#50 of 126 Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 AM

Yesterday was much better. I took it easy so I would allow myself to get better. I did take Celebrex in the morning because the ibu doesn't really touch the joint pain as much and celebrex doesn't really make the headache go away (though, as an antiinflammatory, you'd think it would). But this time it faded the headache and I wad finally functional!

*Woke to POURING rain
*Canceled with my friend because I was fearing I was sick still
*Took DD1 to camp
*Came home and played Diablo with my son for like 2 hours. Oops. My name is Meowmix and I am a Diablo addict.
*Cleaned the kitchen, made lunch
*Ordered school supplies for the kids from Amazon, bought a new electric pencil sharpener, too! Excitement! heh
*Worked for a couple hours
*It finally stopped raining, took dogs on a walk with DD2 (it was really humid out)
*Started bread for dinner
*Read a bit of the Iliad and encouraged son to do the same
*Friend brought DD1 home from camp. She had a great day!
*Trained badbordercollie
*Cooked dinner, finished bread (made cheesy french bread)
*Ate dinner late because husband and son went out and husband bought a tablet for work
*Put kids to bed
*Played.. guess what.. more Diablo.
*Went to bed with no headache and woke up with NO headache! YAYAYAY! So now I need to get back into my walking badbordercollie routine. I think she misses it. And so do I.

#51 of 126 Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM

So sorry for those of you trying to get through things with chronic pain. Life is hard enough. It's so heartening to get on here and find out how you deal with things, or get sympathy and support when something of mine flares up, or see one of you reaching out from your own place to help someone else. Just wanted to say I love this thread and its people. Best wishes to all of you.

#52 of 126 Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM

And done with the bulk of the day, I hope!

- bought groceries
- baked DS2 pumpkin garlic knots
- took him for blood work
- did knee PT
- made him a homemade pizza
- sporadically bringing up the rest of the nonperishables from the basement
- watched it absolutely vomit rain throughout the afternoon

And that's it. I keep saying "early bedtime tonight," maybe wishing will make it so.

#53 of 126 Old 08-13-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
burned most of the rest of that huge box of papers that needed to go away

Starting with pumpkin garlic knots for DS2.
Isn't it so gratifying to get rid of the excess paper? To me, nothing screams clutter like paper! You remind me that I need to go through our piles of crap and send some through the shredder. ;-) And pumpkin! Love pumpkin so much!

Quote:
We both seem to suffer from headaches and we both have autoimmune issues that cause joint inflammation and fatigue. I wonder if the headaches are a side effect of that. I've not had autoimmune issues my entire life but I have had headaches my whole life. How about you? DD2 also gets more headaches and worse headaches than her siblings or her peers. I'm hoping it isn't a sign of future things to come for her.
I think for me the headaches and autoimmune issues cropped up at the same time - my late teens/early twenties was when it first became apparent that I was dealing with a beyond "normal" level of pain and issues. Hopefully your daughter won't have the same struggles, especially with the autoimmune issues. Fingers crossed for you!

Quote:
So sorry for those of you trying to get through things with chronic pain. Life is hard enough. It's so heartening to get on here and find out how you deal with things, or get sympathy and support when something of mine flares up, or see one of you reaching out from your own place to help someone else. Just wanted to say I love this thread and its people. Best wishes to all of you.
That was so sweet to read. And I feel the same way about this thread - it's more than just "accomplishments"; it's our virtual sewing circle of support. Hands down my favorite place to be on Mothering. :-)

As for me, a painfully ordinary day. And that's a positive statement for me - when I was younger and going through that whole small town life-is-boring teen angst phase, I used to complain that my life was "painfully ordinary". I wanted excitement and new experiences and all that, but you have to be careful what you wish for, because sometimes the universe is extremely literal. Not all excitement and new experiences are positive, and it takes a few of those growing up to realize that every day that is "painfully ordinary" is a blissful, fortunate gift to be grateful for. So now painfully ordinary is a good thing. :-) And today, it shaped up as such -

- Stopped by the garden and picked our pittance of cherry tomatoes and a lonely jalapeno. The rabbits have completely decimated the beans - they are all basically dead. Ugh.
- Stopped into Jewel because they had a stock up price on mac and cheese, only to find out that it was a misprint in the circular that they weren't willing to honor. So annoying. So we skipped it.
- Made dinner.
- Spent some with Little Man.
- Looked through the mail.
- Did the bedtime routine with Little Man.
- Paid some bills.
- Looked for houses - still nothing new!
- Checked a few work emails.

As for the rest of the evening -

- Going to pre-order the new book coming out next month in The Cousin's War series by Philippa Gregory.
- Look for a library book for my Kindle to tide me over until the new book comes out.
- Putz around on Pinterest.
- Watch "The Great Railway War" with husband.

Maybe some Downton before bed, which is oddly helping me get to sleep soundly this week! Hey, whatever works; I'll take it.

#54 of 126 Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks MariaMadly! That made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I do love this thread and I come here first every morning to see what you all have done. And I love knowing if I feel sad or in pain that I can come here and that I can send comfort to someone who isn't feeling great, too. This thread is a great place! And Kitchensqueen.. I know what you mean about a normal ordinary day. Sometimes I think that all I do is the same ole same ole.. take my kids to things, walk my dog. And I feel, I dunno, I guess boring for loving that. I used to want the same thing but sometimes life puts everything in perspective and it makes one appreciate those little things. As for DD2 and her headaches.. I did get them checked out but the doctor, beyond checking her vision, didn't have much to say. He did say they might be stress related. They do happen more during the school year. We'll see this year.

(Pumpkin knots recipe, MariaMadly? It's getting to be that season here and the poptarts recipe you posted once has become a regular in my baking rotation. I'd love to make pumpkin knots!)

Yesterday was a day of normal and a day of catchup:
*Took DD1 to camp
*Worked for what seemed like forever. I'm trying to hang on to this job but it's SO TEDIOUS.
*Picked up my milk order
*Walked badbordercollie with my friend
*Stressed out about homeschooling math for my son. Found a free prealgebra curriculum and figured I might use that and supplement with tutoring (he struggles in math and I question my ability to help him with it without skilled help)
*Did not make it to the grocery store so we consequently have no snack food in the house.
*Vaccuumed our bedroom and cleaned it up and vacuumed the stairs downstairs.
*Cooked dinner
*Trained badbordercollie. I think I need a training book of tricks.
*Got Claritin from my friend for my newfie, who has grass allergies and has been chewing himself raw. ((
*Went out with my husband to enjoy a beer or two
*Got donuts for my son per his request.
*Played Diablo and went to bed!

This morning I got up and am currently coloring my hair. I MUST get to the grocery store today. Must must must.

#55 of 126 Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Busy and productive here today:

- took mother to her nurse practitioner appointment
- made her a loaf of GF bread
- fielded a phone call about upcoming candidates forum from a campaign staffer
- got DS1 up and out the door
- to get his hair cut
- and go to a bookstore (just looking, came home empty-handed thank goodness)

Later on is the last of the burning for now. Next time I won't let it pile up, so it won't be a project. Doing sous-chef things for DH tonight, he's making dinner but doesn't know it yet.

Last edited by mariamadly; 08-14-2014 at 03:32 PM.
#56 of 126 Old 08-14-2014, 03:31 PM

@meowmix here's that recipe: http://www.handletheheat.com/pumpkin-garlic-knots/

@kitchensqueen yes, it feels soooo good to get rid of paper! Takes less space than other junk, but has *such* emotional weight. Finished the last of this batch, diced things for dinner, and am about to sit down with some decaf.

#57 of 126 Old 08-14-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Kitchensqueen.. I know what you mean about a normal ordinary day. Sometimes I think that all I do is the same ole same ole.. take my kids to things, walk my dog. And I feel, I dunno, I guess boring for loving that. I used to want the same thing but sometimes life puts everything in perspective and it makes one appreciate those little things. As for DD2 and her headaches.. I did get them checked out but the doctor, beyond checking her vision, didn't have much to say. He did say they might be stress related. They do happen more during the school year. We'll see this year.
Ordinary can be wonderful. :-) So, her vision is okay and not the cause of the headaches? I hate to hear of stress in kids - that's so hard. Have you thought about extra tutoring if she's struggling with certain subjects that might make her feel stressed?

We did a bit of running around after I got off work today -

- Went to Chik-Fil-A for dinner.
- Stopped at Hobby Lobby and picked up a few cute wooden signs and things.
- Snuggled with Little Man and watched a PBS show on sharks while he had some fruit.
- Got Little Man into pajamas and brushed his teeth.
- Putzed around online while husband put Little Man to bed.

And now more putzing around.

#58 of 126 Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the recipe, MariaMadly! It looks yummy. Kitchensqueen- DD2 placed into the in school gifted classes (as opposed to the gifted program in which she goes to a different school in our area) so I know it's not lack of ability. She just is a bit of a perfectionist and throws herself to a task and so gets stressed out.

Yesterday:
*Colored my hair.. which made me late. Argh.
*Disappointed to see that the hair color didn't completely fade the grey in front. I must have not covered it enough? Or maybe the color was too blonde. I dunno. I'll probably throw some pink streaks in there to cover it. (Am I the only mom who thinks that when her hair color doesn't work? )
*Took DD1 to camp
*Worked for a bit
*Went to therapy
*Came home and got DD1 and her friend (I watch her BFF some days during the summer because her mom works)
*Took them to the grocery store and sent them on "missions" while I shopped.
*Spent way too long at the blood pressure/health booth, taking our blood pressure and checking our eyesight and being generally silly.
*Saw son and his friend on the way home and stopped to give them a can of Pringles.
*Girls and I unloaded the groceries.
*I went and picked up DD1 while the girls put the groceries on the counter, organized, for me to put away later.
*Put away groceries and chatted with DD1's friend's mom.
*Trained badbordercollie a bit
*My friend came and picked up DD2's BFF.
*Took our family and DD1's friend out to dinner
*Went to son's DJ lesson, where his teacher said he was one of his best students!
*Went to Best Buy with the kids and looked at stuff FOREVER.
*Came home, kids to bed, played Diablo, we went to bed.

Today my longtime friend from high school comes here! I'm excited!

#59 of 126 Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Kitchensqueen- DD2 placed into the in school gifted classes (as opposed to the gifted program in which she goes to a different school in our area) so I know it's not lack of ability. She just is a bit of a perfectionist and throws herself to a task and so gets stressed out.
Ah yes, that's a bit of a different challenge. As a perfectionist/overachiever myself, I can sympathize. It can be very hard to know when to accept good enough as good enough.

Nice Friday here. I've got some office work ahead of me this weekend (some files I have to get done before my next business trip next week) but I'm taking the night off so I'm happy about that!

- Clipped some coupons.
- Went to Target to pick up some more free school supplies with coupons (most of which we'll donate) and some food items and toiletries with coupons that are expiring this weekend. Also picked up more of the awesome baskets from One Spot that have changed my organizational life!
- Put away the shopping, using the baskets to organize the food cupboards further. The granola bars and tuna pouches now have a home!
- Made dinner
- Played trains with Little Man.
- Browsed some magazines I got in the mail.

And now a whole lot of nothing, which is just how I like my Friday nights!
meowmix likes this.

#60 of 126 Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 AM

I am SO DIZZY this morning. Not sure why. Ugh.

Yesterday:
*Took DD1 to camp
*Worked! Ugh.
*Took badbordercollie and newfie for a walk with the kids
*Cleaned the kitchen, did some laundry, vacuumed upstairs and made sure the bathrooms were clean
*Ran to the grocery with DD2 and got dog food, rat bedding and chicken
*Went to pick up my friend from the Metro. Could not find her. There is no clearly marked pickup area at our metro station. Drove into the garage by accident and had to pay to get back out. Argh.
*Called DD1's camp and said I was running late
*Continued to look for my friend. 30 minutes later, we find each other and have a joyful reunion. It's been a year since I saw her.
*Finally picked up DD1, 20 minutes late. She was okay with it because she got to see my friend!
*Got ready to go to live music on the green with everyone.
*Listened to a cheesy 70s cover band. Kids ran around and played. It was a great evening.
*Dropped the kids off around 11 and my friend, husband and I met some of husband's coworkers at a bar.
*Hung out there for a while. I drank half a hard cider and water. I really didn't drink much over the course of the evening..

And yet I woke up soooo dizzy this morning. Hopefully it will go away. I have to drive DD2 to therapy soon but I'll have to have husband do it if I stay this dizzy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page