Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#91 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2anna View Post
Well, 7:52 pm here, and today was a major failure. 😟. We didn't get to Truro, nor the pool, I spent most of the day napping, and Anna watched way to much TV, and napped easy to little. One good accomplishment, though- Anna is in bed and its only 7:56 pm!!! Yay!!! 🙌🙌🙌!!!
Well, today I:
Felt like crap
Had terrible morning sickness and vomited (right after I posted this morning🙊)
Got Chinese takeout for supper, and pizza for lunch
Napped too much
Felt terrible for letting Anna watch so much TV, let her watch more

Well, tomorrow had better be better, cuz today life kicked my pregnant but 🙅
Bye!!
Growing a baby is tough, exhausting work and it does annoying things to our bodies- like make us sick and tired! Don't kick yourself about Anna watching too much TV. I did that post baby because DD1 was colicky. Thomas the Tank Engine was my savior! Sometimes we would watch it pretty much all day. You'll have good days and not so great days and either way, Anna will be fine (and you'll feel better for resting and listening to your body!)

Feel better!!!

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 AM

Yesterday:
*Helped DD1 finish her cupcakes. OMGOMGOMG They were SO good. Unfortunately, my replacement cupcake was not as good as her original cupcakes badnannynewf ate but they were still really good!
*Went grocery shopping for camping supplies and found KT tape for my Achilles
*Put on the chicken to simmer while I was gone
*Took my friend to the mall to go shopping (felt a bit guilty for leaving the kids at home, but they didn't want to come. It's weird having kids old enough to not go with you places)
*My friend bought dresses. I mooched perfume samples from Sephora.
*Had son help me empty the cat box completely and change the litter
*Swept upstairs
*I drafted instructions for our pet sitter who is watching badnannynewf. Was a tiny bit irritated because my friend extended her trip and will be here while we are gone this weekend but outright refused to watch the animals. So I'm still having my pet sitter come. I mean, whatever, but she's going to actually be here in our guest bedroom. Why can't she just feed him and let him out? But I kind of knew she wouldn't and I really like our pet sitter. He's a good kid so I'm okay with paying him.
*Came home and shredded the chicken and made dinner
*We ate, but friend went out with someone she is interested in (who husband set her up with! So cute!)
*Girls watched Twilight Zone, I worked and son and husband went to his DJ lesson
*Son came home with his DJ certificate! So excited for him. He practices for hours everyday and has worked hard. Getting a certificate means they put him on a list for people who are looking for a DJ. It's pretty cool!
*All the kids went to bed and we followed soon afterwards.

Today we go camping at the beach for a few days and I may not be back until Tuesday. But maybe I won't be able to resist the urge to check in here.

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#93 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
@meowmix Strange about your friend, is she worried the animals will get away from her or fall sick? As you said, at least a kid you like is getting paid. Have fun at the beach! Come see what we're up to if it keeps you off your feet or keeps you from going stir-crazy. I'll try to do something cool.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#94 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Heh, nothing cool yet:

- got an early start on the French bread rolls
- interspersed with shower, breakfast, getting DS2 up and fed
- and trying to understand something he was telling me about quantum mechanics
- baked the rolls, they came out beautiful!
- ran some specimens down to our local satellite lab
- bought groceries; our area is still in a boycott, so hectic and busy no matter when you get there

Now I'm brewing a pot of decaf and waiting to sous-chef DS2's setting up a login account for our doctor's office. Then cutting a few onions for DH and reading another Dorothy Sayers mystery thankyouverymuch.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#95 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamadly View Post
Remember, you only need one -- wishing you luck!
Very good point indeed! As it turns out we can't get showings this weekend, so we'll have to wait until we're back from vacation to get back after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix View Post
Kitchensqueen- THANK YOU for that reminder. Yes, there *is* stuff I can still do when camping. We'll still have a blast. I have noticed my Achilles doesn't hurt badly in flip flops. However, those aren't good for the arthritis in my feet so I can't walk long distances in them. Don't feel bad about the airmattress. When we tent camped, we had cots. Even with an air mattress I was so sore and stiff in the morning that finally we threw in the towel, got a huge tent to fit cots in and it was much better. Camper is the best though. I sleep well with no humidity and feel much better in the morning. It's changed my view of camping (though I still joke that it's voluntary homelessness). Hope the air mattress helps you!
Have fun camping! It's hard when you're not feeling well, so hopefully you can relax and enjoy the time. And I am trying not to feel too guilty about the air mattress - the whole point is make getting outdoors accessible, and I guess that's just what I need to do it!

Quote:
Heh, nothing cool yet:

- got an early start on the French bread rolls
I think baking fancy bread product qualifies as cool. :-)

So, as of 4:30 today I am on vacation!!!! Look forward to camping for part of it, but of course there's a hitch - Little Man woke up with a cough, low fever and general malaise... hopefully it clears up in the next day or so and we can still head out camping. So glad we built in weekend "buffer" days on our trip! Please send good health karma and anti-rain karma our way! I'm determined to make the most of this trip...

After work -

- Snuggles with Little Man watching cooking shows since he was feeling less than stellar.
- Made Little Man dinner - he only wanted half a portion of mac and cheese, and applesauce.
- Organized some of the camp gear. Need to finish it up in a bit by packing the clothes and last minute items.
- Sorted some items into a donate box.
- Bedtime routine with Little Man.

Still to come -

- Finish the trip packing.
- Charge my Kindle and download some new books.
- Pinterest.
- Relaxing.

Hello weekend; hello vacation. I have missed you so!
meowmix likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#96 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 PM

@kitchensqueen and especially Little Man -- here come the goodvibe smileys wishing you luck!

#97 of 126 Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@kitchensqueen and especially Little Man -- here come the goodvibe smileys wishing you luck!
Thanks! I just checked on Little Man sleeping, and he feels a bit less warm after the Tylenol I gave him earlier... hopefully that's real and not just wishful thinking on my part...

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#98 of 126 Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 AM

OK, yesterday (Saturday):

- did a load of laundry (outside)
- took mother to church
- got groceries
- texted DS1 and DS2 a picture of a mushroom in our yard
- made DS2 a pizza from scratch
- made dinner

So far today:

- washed and hung another load of laundry outside
- made dough for pumpkin garlic knots -- it's rising now

The rest of the day is packing and prep for DS2's flight tomorrow. We're grilling, so all I have to do is prep the meat and get it on a plate for DH. I'll roast some broccoli to go along with it. And make hamburger rolls. Then it's just throwing food at DS2 so he can have something on the flight and when he gets to his girlfriend's without having to do a grocery run right away.

#99 of 126 Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 PM

Greetings from The Waiting Place:

- up early, breakfast, shower
- woke DS2, fed him scones
- helped him with odds and ends while he packed his bags
- fed him lunch
- took our traditional "back to school" picture of him
- dropped him at bus station -- DH met us there to see DS2 off
- stopped off to have something printed
- went to pick up a piece of camping gear for DH
- bought groceries
- put them away
- read a little
- watched hummingbirds actually perch on our feeder a couple of times -- very excited!
- aaaannnndddd clicking refresh until his flight gets in :-)

Hope everyone else is doing well!

#100 of 126 Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 AM

Hello!!! I'm back!! Maria.. Did DS2's flight get in alright? I'm sure you're missing him tons right now so {{hugs}} to you! I hope everyone else is doing good here and that kitchensqueen is enjoying her vacation!

Our camping trip was fabulous! Leaving badnannynewf at home was a great idea. We were so much more relaxed. My friend ended up watching him when she was around and walking him. MariaMadly- I think she just didn't want to have to be around to feed and let him out. She is single and has no pets and is really more of a cat person. She said she did like having my newfie around though. My petsitter came early and late to feed the animals and I texted with him fairly regularly to make sure things were okay.
Camping, I took it easy most of the time. I did walk badbordercollie on the beach. My bare feet on the sand did not aggravate my Achilles. I did wear impractical flipflops to walk down the boardwalk and that did really hurt the arthritis in my right foot but that was the only day I was really hurting. The rest of the time was lounging while the kids played in the water, watching stars and.. well, eating and drinking. heh. We had a great time. The weather was coolish- maybe mid 70s, which is my kind of beach weather. We had one brief rain, but that was okay. We were camping with friends so it was all in all a fabulous time!

We came home to some happy animals and lots of laundry. Yay to be back, though!

#101 of 126 Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM

@meowmix , welcome back! Glad you had fun. Though your definition of coolish weather . . . wellllll, my ideal is mid-50's and cloudy. :-)

DS2 is settled in at his girlfriend's place. They have this week until dorms open, then her parents will take them back on campus. For senior year, though when *that* happened, I don't know!

- got up late, after 8:00 AM, showered, breakfasted, sort of booted up
- had a quick meet at book store about pedestrian planning
- sent an email to city staff about next subcommittee meeting plus asking for input re public outreach / participation

This afternoon I'm taking our car to the shop; it makes a clunking noise in back when you turn the wheel. I mentioned it to DH, and he told me the other car's doing the same thing. The same month we make the biggest tuition payment of the year, WTH? Quiet evening planned, a little more laid-back since nobody's in transition today -- am such a reptile brain about my headcount. <sheepish>

Back home again:

- returned a few library books
- got my car new sway bar links
- bought groceries
- roasted chicken to dice up for dinner
- built DS2 two care packages -- not everything fit in his luggage
- cooked up DH's dinner

Last edited by mariamadly; 08-26-2014 at 03:38 PM.
#102 of 126 Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 AM

LOL! Well, I would prefer 50s (and sunny, though!) but not at the beach camping. I do love COLD windy, overcast weather at the beach though, when I'm visiting and have somewhere warm to retreat to. I love a wild, windy sea. I'm looking forward to fall. Even with our mild weather this summer, I'm ready for jeans and sweatshirts and books and fireplaces.

Yesterday:
*Did some laundry
*Took the girls clothes shopping for back to school. I found DD1 practically nothing (she's at that awkward age where Juniors don't always fit and neither do kid's clothes. She is tall.). On a whim, bought DD2's BFF the cutest outfit ever, deciding that it was too cute to pass up even if her mom didn't pay me back for it. And found DD2 and outfit, though I don't know if it will be a back to school one. Bought them both shoes and found my perfume! Was excited.
*Stopped for lunch.
*Put on my new shoes and walked the dogs with my friend. Went 3 miles and my achilles was throbbing at the end of it.
*Iced my Achilles and read my book (reading Divergent)
*Took husband to the airport
*Stopped at the store on the way home with son and got dinner stuff and Reaper of Souls, the Diablo expansion pack
*Played Reaper of Soups with son for literally hours.
*My friend went on a date. The kids and I ate dinner.
*Kids watched Divergent while I worked.
*Caught the end of Divergent and then went to bed with the kids.

Today I finally see someone about this stupid foot! Yay!

#103 of 126 Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
LOL! Well, I would prefer 50s (and sunny, though!) but not at the beach camping. I do love COLD windy, overcast weather at the beach though, when I'm visiting and have somewhere warm to retreat to. I love a wild, windy sea. I'm looking forward to fall. Even with our mild weather this summer, I'm ready for jeans and sweatshirts and books and fireplaces.

Yesterday:
*Did some laundry
*Took the girls clothes shopping for back to school. I found DD1 practically nothing (she's at that awkward age where Juniors don't always fit and neither do kid's clothes. She is tall.). On a whim, bought DD2's BFF the cutest outfit ever, deciding that it was too cute to pass up even if her mom didn't pay me back for it. And found DD2 and outfit, though I don't know if it will be a back to school one. Bought them both shoes and found my perfume! Was excited.
*Stopped for lunch.
*Put on my new shoes and walked the dogs with my friend. Went 3 miles and my achilles was throbbing at the end of it.
*Iced my Achilles and read my book (reading Divergent)
*Took husband to the airport
*Stopped at the store on the way home with son and got dinner stuff and Reaper of Souls, the Diablo expansion pack
*Played Reaper of Soups with son for literally hours.
*My friend went on a date. The kids and I ate dinner.
*Kids watched Divergent while I worked.
*Caught the end of Divergent and then went to bed with the kids.

Today I finally see someone about this stupid foot! Yay!
I want to play that game, too! :-D

So did your friend go out with that friend of your husband's you'd mentioned?

Exciting date night here, too, among other things:

- up and showered early
- downstairs to face the news that our coffeemaker has ceased to be
- took DH to work
- bought a new coffeemaker
- dropped off dry cleaning
- mailed DS2 a couple of boxes
- returned another library book
- home for breakfast . . . and coffee
- took a short (20 minute) nap
- built DS2 another box
- did knee PT
- watered the houseplants

I'll do another quick post office run on my way to pick up DH this afternoon. We're going to a candidates night in another part of the state; not sure if I'm working it, might be timekeeper. It's really interesting to watch no matter what. Stupidly excited about this. :P

#104 of 126 Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I want to play that game, too! :-D

So did your friend go out with that friend of your husband's you'd mentioned?

Exciting date night here, too, among other things:

- up and showered early
- downstairs to face the news that our coffeemaker has ceased to be
- took DH to work
- bought a new coffeemaker
- dropped off dry cleaning
- mailed DS2 a couple of boxes
- returned another library book
- home for breakfast . . . and coffee
- took a short (20 minute) nap
- built DS2 another box
- did knee PT
- watered the houseplants

I'll do another quick post office run on my way to pick up DH this afternoon. We're going to a candidates night in another part of the state; not sure if I'm working it, might be timekeeper. It's really interesting to watch no matter what. Stupidly excited about this. :P
AHAHAHA! omg, my terrible editing. It should be Reaper of Souls! Which doesn't sound nearly as nice (and funny!) as Reaper of Soups. That sounds like a game in which one devours mass quantities of sentient Chicken Noodle and erudite Clam Chowder!

Yup to my friend going out with my husband's friend! They really hit it off and have been seeing each other a lot this week. I'm happy for them! She doesn't know what will happen when she goes back home, but still.... very cool! She is also interviewing this week for a job here. So maybe some good changes are coming for her!

You do so much before breakfast, it exhausts me! Are you a volunteer or have a job for a political something? I do not keep up with politics much but you are always doing something like meeting with people or sending off letters, etc.

Today so for I have worked a bit
Ordered the next two books in the Diverent Trilogy for DD1 (and myself)
Gotten my Achilles checked. They put tape on my foot to stabilize it, gave me an achilles wrap (which hurts a lot right now!) and told me no more walking the dog right now and no more flip flops! UGH. Glad fall is coming.
Got home all sad and upset and my friend was doing P90x and I said "Hey, I can do that!" so did P90X
Took son to a friend's house
Stopped at the grocery store
Put away groceries, cleaned kitchen well
Unloaded food from the camper and turned off the fridge in there
Drank coffee and ate a cookie

Still need to take DD1 to her horseback riding lesson, make dinner and either work more,play more Reaper of Souls or read Divergent.

#105 of 126 Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM

@meowmix , I volunteer for a couple of different things -- a local LWV (I'm the "baby" in the group) and a city committee on transportation issues. Busy season with midterm elections. And it's weird, but I don't consider myself at all political. My focus is more on process and information, accessibility, etc.

Hope the tape and wrap end up helping -- not walking sounds like a hard hit for you. Will bordercollie still have somewhere to swim or something? She seems to love her walks.

So our date got quashed by the federal government. DH called about an hour ago and has to be in on a conference call with his counterparts in all the other states and territories -- end of fiscal year issues. And the way we did the car thing today, plus no other transit options (one reason I'm on a city committee, hehe), means I won't be able to go either. We're both disappointed (really geeky) and decided to some upcoming zoning or planning meeting to make up for it. (Really, really geeky.)

#106 of 126 Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
@meowmix , I volunteer for a couple of different things -- a local LWV (I'm the "baby" in the group) and a city committee on transportation issues. Busy season with midterm elections. And it's weird, but I don't consider myself at all political. My focus is more on process and information, accessibility, etc.

Hope the tape and wrap end up helping -- not walking sounds like a hard hit for you. Will bordercollie still have somewhere to swim or something? She seems to love her walks.

So our date got quashed by the federal government. DH called about an hour ago and has to be in on a conference call with his counterparts in all the other states and territories -- end of fiscal year issues. And the way we did the car thing today, plus no other transit options (one reason I'm on a city committee, hehe), means I won't be able to go either. We're both disappointed (really geeky) and decided to some upcoming zoning or planning meeting to make up for it. (Really, really geeky.)
Aw... I hope you guys are able to make the upcoming planning meeting and it does sound like you have some transportation issues there. No bus even? While we have two cars ourselves, I know our bus system is good here and we just got the metro. I think we have it pretty good here, for being in a non urban area. Not geeky for going to a planning meeting! I think we all have our quirks!

i had the kids walk the dogs yesterday. But I will need to make a plan for badbordercollie. I'm thinking I can walk to the field, it's less than 1/2 mile. to at least let her off leash to play ball. With my friend visiting, I have also been slacking on her training, so I need to pick that up to help wear her out mentally. When it's cooler, we can also bike- though I will have to go slow because she is not as big as a border collie and her legs are a little shorter! We'll figure it out but yea, not walking? omg, I LOVE walking. It's meditative and therapeutic to me.

Yesterday I totally wished my husband was home:
*Took DD1 to her horseback riding lesson but the wrap on my Achilles caused so much pain while driving that I had to have my friend drive home. UGH. Felt a headache coming on. Nice timing, head!
*Came home and cooked dinner. Full on headache but luckily not a migraine. PMS, I'm sure.
*Ate dinner and cleaned up kitchen.
*Felt terrible. Tried to help my friend with preparing her for interview. Couldn't. DD2 went to spend the night at a friend's. Son was at a friend's until late. DD1 offered to stay up with the dogs who weren't ready to go to bed at 8:30 (they were playing loudly in the house. heh)
*Went to bed really early.
*DD1 woke me a bit when she brought the dogs down
*Son woke me at 11, apologizing and asking for ibu for his leg which had some growing pains. Told him where it was an I zonked back out.

This morning I still have the twinge of a headache but I'm about to take something for it, now that I've eaten. Today the girls meet their teachers, I need to cut DD1's hair, etc etc etc.

#107 of 126 Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 AM

We have bus service, but it's M-F during the day only. So if you work shifts, you're out of luck. Same goes if you work regular hours but want to get groceries or do something else "after hours." Our agency does the best it can with crap resources, but the general perception is still that it's an act of charity for the really needy rather than an overall public good. end mini rant, sorry.

#108 of 126 Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM

Got more done than I expected:

- up and ready early
- washed and hung a load of laundry outside
- DH's pay hit so I paid some bills online
- took mother to change her voter registration; we live in a different ward from where her old house was
- took mother for lab work
- took mother home
- ran some things back to the lab for mother
- wrote out a check for our property taxes
- mowed much of the yard

Heading out shortly to bring in and fold the wash, then starting dinner. With onions.

#109 of 126 Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Meowmix, glad to hear your camping trip was a success. :-)

Our week has been a bit of a mixed bag. The weather was dangerously bad, so instead of camping for the week, we spent two nights in a hotel and only camped for one night. We made the most of things as best we could - while at the hotel, we found indoor things we could do while the weather was bad - a few kid-friendly museums, indoor playgrounds and antique shops (okay, that was mostly for me). We also spent some time at the hotel pool and watching cable tv cartoons and HGTV that we never get to see. And we did get to camp on the one nice day this week, so we enjoyed being outside and having a campfire and seeing the stars for once this year.

Now we're home a day early, and will finish out vacation with some fun stuff close to home - if the weather is decent tomorrow, we're going to an historical village; if it's crap again, we'll head to a children's museum. So, today -

- Packed up the campsite and drove home. Took the scenic route, stopping at a park to let Little Man play, and getting lunch out.
- Unloaded all of the camping gear from the car and put most of it away.
- Loaded all of the camp kitchen gear and water bottles into the dishwasher.
- Got everyone into fresh clothes and shined up for being a part of suburban society once more.
- Stopped at Starbucks so I could get an iced tea.
- Went to the library.
- Stopped at our garden plot. We picked a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes, a few larger tomatoes, some onions, jalapenos and sweet peppers. And we also picked our lone watermelon - ready just in time to eat this weekend!
- Went to Target because we needed bread and milk after our trip. Was also excited to find two Thomas Take & Plays at 70% off for $3.58 each! Husband was able to distract Little Man and get him out to the car so I could grab them unobserved - now I have them squirreled away for either birthday or Christmas gifts!
- Made dinner.
- Sorted through all of the mail.
- Spent some time with Little Man and husband watching part of the Muppets movie.

Four more days of staycation left for me, thank god. And husband has tomorrow off before a couple of day shifts this weekend. So a nice few more days ahead.

#110 of 126 Old 08-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Welcome back kitchensqueen! It sounds like, even though it was rainy, you still had a pretty good vacation and were able to make the best of it. We had a vacation like that last time we went to OBX. Wind and rain so hard that it literally blew the roof off a pop top camper near us. It was a harrowing night. We ended up spending the last night of our vacation in a hotel. Sometimes vacations just don't quite turn out the way we want but the family time together is nice as long as we can keep a good attitude. Glad you're back though and enjoy those 4 more days off!

I can't believe today is Friday. This last week I intended on going into DC, picnicking at the park and hiking. Instead I had to rest my foot and so that kind of nixes any treks around the city or hikes. Trying not to feel guilty that my kids had a "lame" last week of vacation.
Yesterday:
*Worked and worked and am still not done. Must finish today or Im sure I'll be let go.
*Took DD1 out to get her hair cut and it looks wonderful!
*Did some housework- scooped cat box, cleaned kitchen well, folded laundry and cleaned the bedroom
*Paid DD1 for cleaning all the bathrooms and bringing up and putting away all the sheets and towels (and sweeping the living level twice in two days)
*Kicked the kids out to the pool
*Worked a bit more
*Went to the drug store and got eyeshadow and stuff I needed
*Cooked breakfast for dinner (I've been in a cooking slump lately)
*Cleaned the kitchen
*Took son to DJ lesson. i read my book
*Came home and watched the rest of My Little Pony with the kids, then tucked them in.
*Read my book for a while. Went to bed!

Husband is home today. I am taking DD1 and her friend to the mall today where they want to shop without me tagging along. I'll drag my friend and we'll chat. I might be DD2 and her friend and maybe my son with me, if they want to go. But first, to finish this spreadsheet... ugh.

#111 of 126 Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went back and read through the ENTIRE THREAD. Whew! I love reading about other peoples lives.

I'm going to post yesterday (is that allowed) since all I've done today is drink my coffee.

-woke up did the whole breakfast thing
-Mothers helper came, I went to the bookstore to work on some writing for two blissful hours
-Packed (we are moving in a month) for about two hours while kids played/helped.
-Did barn chores (again, kids played/helped)
-Dinner! We ate outside (pizza because I wasn't in the mood to cook) and chatted
-Read 10 books (outside, it was a lovely evening) with the kids.
-DD and DS wanted to have a party for DH, who was on his way home. They set the table, wrapped "presents" and colored pictures for him.

It was a pretty simple day.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#112 of 126 Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM

@mommariffic if we couldn't post the day before, I'd be off here half the time! :-) You mention "barn chores," does that mean animals (she asked hopefully)? Tell more? Your day sounds lovely.

@kitchensqueen welcome back! Sounds as though you're enjoying the time off despite the drawbacks. Great score on gift shopping with Little Man along. When DS1 and DS2 were young, the owner of our favorite toy store would follow me around and when I pointed something out or handed to him, he'd sneak it behind the counter and into bags while the kids weren't looking. Cracked up at "being a part of suburban society once more," hope the suburban weather is kind to you and the rest of your time off is fun!!

@meowmix hope you had a chance to finish up with work, that kind of stress you don't need! How long is your activity restricted? (Not that you're counting . . . ) Sounds like you're having a lot of fun even when you have to keep still -- sorry it's so frustrating, though.

Well, I'm ready for the weekend:

- up very early, saw DH off on his three-day / two-night bike camping trip
- washed and hung a load of laundry outside
- went by the bank to get some paperwork mother needed for her voter registration
- to City Clerk's office to present said paperwork
- back to bank to return it
- bought a handful of groceries . . . several bottles of seltzer water and five pounds of onions, wonder what the cashier thought I was making?
- picked up dry cleaning
- took myself to breakfast and tried to catch my breath
- home briefly, chatted with mother
- emailed DS2 some med reminders and a cheerful "say hi!"
- took mother to the farm stand up the road, we both got way too excited about all the vegetables and bought a lot
- back home; did some research about the documentation my mother was asked to present, and it looks as though it wasn't even required; seethed a bit about ambiguous legal wording
- emailed a friend
- texted back and forth with DH
- enjoyed wildlife sightings: hummingbirds and turkeys so far today
- ate too many cherry tomatoes . . . local, fresh cherry tomatoes . . . oh, wow, love this time of year

Laid-back rest of the day planned: I'll bring up the trash and recycling bins and the mail, take in and fold the wash, roast the squash I bought this morning, and kick back with a book.

#113 of 126 Old 08-29-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Welcome back kitchensqueen! It sounds like, even though it was rainy, you still had a pretty good vacation and were able to make the best of it. We had a vacation like that last time we went to OBX. Wind and rain so hard that it literally blew the roof off a pop top camper near us. It was a harrowing night. We ended up spending the last night of our vacation in a hotel. Sometimes vacations just don't quite turn out the way we want but the family time together is nice as long as we can keep a good attitude. Glad you're back though and enjoy those 4 more days off!
That sounds so scary about the roof blowing off! Exactly why we decided not to risk it - a thin layer of tent fabric isn't quite enough when there's a storm raging outside.

Quote:
@kitchensqueen welcome back! Sounds as though you're enjoying the time off despite the drawbacks. Great score on gift shopping with Little Man along. When DS1 and DS2 were young, the owner of our favorite toy store would follow me around and when I pointed something out or handed to him, he'd sneak it behind the counter and into bags while the kids weren't looking. Cracked up at "being a part of suburban society once more," hope the suburban weather is kind to you and the rest of your time off is fun!!
Too funny about the toy store!

It was insanely hot today, so we got an early-ish start to try to beat the heat. Husband made buckwheat pancakes using flour we bought at a windmill that stone-grinds flour (we visited there on vacation) and they were amazing. We're totally buckwheat converts now. After that -

- Went to an historical farm in the morning. They had a nineteenth century farm village, small gauge train, carousel, tractor hay wagon rides, farm animals and all sorts of stuff. Little Man had a great time, and we enjoyed it too. Very well done, for both kids and adults.
- Stopped at Chik-Fil-A for lunch.
- Stopped at my mother-in-law's (and aunt-in-law, actually) job to drop off a bottle of wine and thank you card, since they purchased the Day Out With Thomas tickets from last weekend.
- Stopped at Target because I forgot I needed a new hairbrush, and more Cortizone (since my feet are covered in bug bites) and a case of Sam Adams harvest ales, since husband didn't care for the pumpkin ale I bought yesterday.
- Stopped at the train store so Little Man could buy a train car - his first ever allowance purchase!
- Stopped at a Redbox to drop off a DVD.
- Checked the mail and tossed all the junk in the recycling - we get so much crap here, despite us being paperless for most things...
- Put away the shopping and unpacked the day bag.
- Got dinner for Little Man.

And now I'm going to play trains with Little Man for a little while before he goes to bed, then make dinner and relax.

#114 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 AM

Welcome mammariffic! I almost always post yesterday's stuff since I tend to be on in the morning only. I think it's still an accomplishment even if it happened yesterday!

I can't believe this month is almost over. But we say that every month, don't we? heehee.. mariamadly- I would have gone crazy at a farm stand, too and your selzer water and onion purchase made me lol, too!

Yesterday:
*Finished my spreadsheet and sent it off. I really don't work that much- I guess 10 hours a week, tops. But it's still monotonous and sitting at my computer when I would rather be doing other things.
*Did a small workout with weights for arms. Threw in a few squats because I'm still really sore from p90X!
*Listened to my son's mix for the DJ competition at the end of the month. It sounds fantastic!
*Took all the kids to the mall. I have been to the mall more this summer then I went all last year, I think. Let DD1 and her friend shop by themselves. Bought an unwilling 13 yr old teenage boy shoes and some shirts. Sat and drank a coffee for a while because my foot was killing me.
*Came home and husband was home from his week long business trip!!!! YAYAYAY!
*Listened to a record with son that husband bought him and iced my achilles
*husband deep cleaned my kitchen because he is amazing.
*I cooked dinner.
*Ate dinner
*Watched Dumb and Dumber for movie night.
*I watched Extant with husband (I think my friend went to bed with the kids because she never came back downstairs after I tucked the kids in)
*Went to bed!

Today there is a jazz festival we're thinking of going to, if I can figure out footwear since flip flops in this summer heat are out. *sigh*

Last edited by meowmix; 08-30-2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: I always forget to edit before I hit submit
#115 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix;17966618I
can't believe this month is almost over. But we say that every month, don't we? heehee.
Yep, we all do. :-) Not much here today, but I have a huge list to work on. So far -

- Took Little Man to swim lessons.
- Heated up leftovers for lunch.
- Browsed through the park district's fall/winter class book. We'll be signing up Little Man for more swim, but I'm not sure what else. I've been thinking about a dance class for a few months for myself, but we'll see.
- Printed some coupons.
- Snuggled with Little Man and watched some cartoons.
- Changed the bedding on Little Man's bed.
- Tidied the house.
- Put Little Man down for a nap.

Still on the list for today -

- Print another batch of coupons.
- Update my Cartwheel.
- Upload vacation photos.
- Design a Shutterfly photo book to use a free code that expires in a few days.
- Work on the grocery list.
- Inventory and sort the camping food. I need to pull out anything that expires before our next trip and put it in the pantry for use.
- Pack up all of the camp kitchen supplies and put it away.
- Rearrange the storage closet to put away the last of the camping gear and move the fall/Halloween decorations so they're more accessible.
- Inventory party supplies to make sure I have everything I need for Little Man's party in a few weeks.
- Put beans to soak for dinner tomorrow.
- Pull out bacon and pumpkin butter from the deep freeze to defrost. Might as well reorganize it while I'm at it...
- Write some blog posts. Way overdue on the this one. I'll probably do a whole bunch tonight after Little Man is in bed, since husband is working.
- Put away clean dishes from the dishwasher.

Honestly there's more that needs to be done, but that's a long list and it's already afternoon. I guess I should get off here and get to it.

#116 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 AM

An industrious day so far:

- up before 8 AM without having to rush out the door, yay!
- started a master grocery list, don't know why it never occurred to me before
- purged spoiled food from fridge
- set aside some nonperishables for donation
- more online French, started to learn clothes today
- texted back and forth with neighbor and DH
- gave both vehicles a pass with shop vac and rags

This afternoon is feeding our next-door-neigh-bors (the equine ones), taking mother to church, quick grocery run. An indulgent evening ahead, re-reading Silence of the Lambs. Also finalizing patterns for the boys' girlfriends' Christmas presents -- doing a counted cross-stitch something for each of them and need to get moving.

#117 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also finalizing patterns for the boys' girlfriends' Christmas presents -- doing a counted cross-stitch something for each of them and need to get moving.
That just gave me a minor heart attack. I mean - good for you! But oh my god, I haven't even really thought about Christmas and if I'm going to do anything at all handmade, I really need to get moving! Crossed a few things off the list after the panic attack though -

- Inventoried the party supplies. All I need are blue streamers and tablecloths, and I can get those at Dollar Tree tomorrow.

- Dug out the gift box and sorted through it in a Christmas-is-comping panic - we have all of the gifts for Little Man's birthday, my niece's Christmas gifts are done (they will also get a gift card each) and most of Little Man's Christmas is done - just need to figure out the "big" gift for this year and his handmade gift. If we have a house by then, the big gift will likely be a Radio Flyer trike. Handmade gift will likely be a sewn train carrier of some kind (probably with a few new Take & Play trains inside). I also already have a game set aside to donate to Toys for Tots, and a few small items for the Operation Christmas Child shoe box.

- Started a spreadsheet to keep track of Christmas gifts. I also have free Shutterfly codes for calendars and books for family gifts. I'm in better shape than I thought!

- Photographed some Halloween decorations for a blog post.

- Updated my Cartwheel.

And now I ought to get back to the list...

#118 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
That just gave me a minor heart attack. I mean - good for you! But oh my god, I haven't even really thought about Christmas and if I'm going to do anything at all handmade, I really need to get moving! Crossed a few things off the list after the panic attack though -
Hahaha, sorry! I came across a crafting thread here on the subject that got me hyperventilating and staggering away from my desk mumbling profanities. Main issue for me is they're things that need to be framed and I have to allow lead time for that. Sounds as though you've got a lot of it nailed down already!

#119 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yesterday, I did 21 quarts of peaches, six loaves of zuc. bread, two loads of laundry, and had a great chat with my grandmother. I also shared a movie with my oldest. It is our new thing. We take turns picking movies. Last night was my night and we watched "I Am Sam."

Today, I have planted three trees so far. However, I will be finishing up the peaches and making more bread. We like to pull out the bread from the freezer for quick mornings.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#120 of 126 Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hahaha, sorry! I came across a crafting thread here on the subject that got me hyperventilating and staggering away from my desk mumbling profanities. Main issue for me is they're things that need to be framed and I have to allow lead time for that. Sounds as though you've got a lot of it nailed down already!
Hahahaha well at least I wasn't the only one stricken with Christmas crafter fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
Yesterday, I did 21 quarts of peaches, six loaves of zuc. bread
That's awesome. I wish I was going to do some preserving this year, but I just don't see how or when. The garden hardly produced, and the thought of buying a few bushels of tomatoes and spending a long weekend on them probably isn't going to pan out with my work schedule this year...

Put a further dent in the list for today, but didn't get it all done and am about to call it for the day -

- Read lots of stories with Little Man.
- Played trains with Little Man.
- Printed the rest of the coupons I wanted.
- Put away clean dishes from the dishwasher and halfway tidied the kitchen.
- Took quite a few photos for blog posts.
- Made dinner.
- Snuggles with Little Man while watching a cooking show.
- Wrote two blog posts.
- Put beans to soak for dinner tomorrow.
- Pulled out bacon and pumpkin butter from the deep freeze to defrost.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page