Big Food Finally Figured Out Mom's Best-Kept Secret - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Big Food Finally Figured Out Mom's Best-Kept Secret

Totally had a chuckle when I came across this on the interwebs the other day - "Veggie Blend-Ins".

It was only a matter of time before they figured out this trick and found a way to monetize it.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Baby food!
#3 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 09:31 AM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Ha, that is funny. I agree, it is baby food. For those that buy baby food, I wonder if this is less expensive than baby food (per ounce).

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I must be the biggest hick, because I'm stupidly impressed! And, yeah, am completely checking the unit price of comparable baby food jars next time I'm at the store -- will report back.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
#5 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM

but what would you use the purees for?

i mean if you are looking at the big picture money making venture.

i rarely use purees. more in baking. and purees do exist in a can.

soups? sauces.

will they just do it for some veggies? so no for instance beet purees.

or perhaps trying to change the way we eat by treat adults as children and hiding food!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
or perhaps trying to change the way we eat by treat adults as children and hiding food!
I think this is what they're going for!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
Totally had a chuckle when I came across this on the interwebs the other day - "Veggie Blend-Ins".

It was only a matter of time before they figured out this trick and found a way to monetize it.
Ha ha. Moms do it better. I love 4 oz. of spinach in 24 cupcakes. Really? That is sneaky? I don't have a problem with a bit of sneak especially since it is gravy for us, my kids eat well. But seriously, 4 oz., why bother.
#8 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Well, I just realized one reason I got so very excited. Both my sons have multiple life-threatening food allergies, and one of them is still in college and living on campus with a shared kitchen. Anything nutritious, safe, and shelf-stable is a really BFG to our family.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
#9 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Since being given a ton of baby food (and I really love the jars) I've been doing this. Love me some pumpkin purée in Mac and cheese or Alfredo sauce. I also put any fruit, usually banana, in oatmeal. I'm not much of a baker but that would be good too. Applesauce and mango we pretty much chug in a thick shot. And yes I had the idea of marketing the purées for this purpose. I didn't tell them though. It wasn't me.
#10 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 AM

oh i am so happy to know mariamadly that this will be such a helpful thing for your boys.

I am with JudiAU.

i am doubly blessed and cursed with a child who has a sensitive palate. blessed because she is an adventurous eater. she didnt eat quantity but she definitely ate variety. HOWEVER she could taste the teeniest amount of secret ingredient. she could SMELL and still can ANYTHING that has even a HINT of raisins. so... i could never trick her into eating anything she didnt want to eat. not that i needed to. but she would taste other moms secret ingredient food and identify what was in it when their own children was oblivious to it. made some playdates a challenge for her not to blurt out things.

but seriously i so agree with JudiAU - 4 oz in 24 cupcakes!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Right, 4 oz in 24 cupcakes is . . . a little weak. Though it gives you a pass to eat a lot of cupcakes to get that spinach serving, right?

We never, ever sneaked ingredients, because we had to raise the kids with full transparency for their own safety. But one of them is especially sensitive to textures, and adding a puree to something else might get him a boost he wishes he could get but would hate the food in solid form. Though his GF has a food processor, and she got him to eat kale, so I think he's in good hands at this point. :-) It's my younger one who's still in the dorm and asking how he could get vegetables when fresh is hard to get and use on his intense schedule.

User Tag List