New rear facing v forward facing study? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2004, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS had his 18 month check up this week and his Ped asked if he was still using a carseat (DUH, of course he is although I know it is just a standard question). Anyway, I said yes, he is and we actually just got a new Marathon so he can rear face again (he's been forward about 3 weeks now but is only 25 lbs). My Ped is very pro-rear facing but said that he did need to let me know that there is a new study that shows that rear facing after 20lbs is not safe. However, he said if it were *him*, he would leave DS rear facing right now. But, I'm wondering if anyone knows of this "new" study and knows where I could find it? Has anyone else heard this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2004, 04:38 PM

I haven't heard of this yet and I have always read so many good things about extended rfing so I don't know ..hmm. If anyone has a link please post it!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Hmmm. I've seen a lot of evidence that RF is still better after 20 pounds so that sounds fishy to me.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I agree. And, that's the impression my Ped had as well. I would just like to actually *read* the study!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:16 PM

I haven't heard of it....but would like to actually read it too!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:33 PM

Ask your ped.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I thought of that (and should have asked for more details when I was there) but we won't go back for quite sometime.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:34 PM

Can you call the office and ask for a return call with the information to look up the study?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:37 PM

I'm sure if you called the office and left a message with the office staff, someone would get back to you with the information. I'd be very interested to know the details of this study, too.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:40 PM

I don't know of any studies, but from my own personal experience, we were able to fit the car seat much snugger in the car forward-facing. We turned DD around at about 15 months (27 pounds or so) because one day, I just decided to try turning it around, and it fit much snugger. We could get it "snug enough" rear-facing (less than 1-inch of movement), but foreward facing, we got it really, really snug (no movement). We have a Britax Marathon, and I think it is the way the seat is built and the way seatbelt is routed into the seat. Forward-facing, the seat-belt just routes much closer to the seat than rear-facing.

Anyone had a similiar experience?

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 05-28-2004, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Do you use the Marathon with the LATCH? That's what we got and I checked out one in my friend's car and it didn't budge an inch rear facing.

Oh, and we have the Roundabout right now and I got it so it didn't budge either when RF.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:53 PM

Were you using a tether? The tether makes my seat completely immobile.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:27 PM

I don't know how phyically you are able to keep your kids rear facing that long without their feet hitting the seat! All my children got carsick riding rear facing so I turned them just as soon as they were 1. UGH!! 12 long months of crying & throwing up!! I know why the laws are enacted but here in PA., it's now the law to be in a booster until 8 yrs. old or 80 lbs.!!! We had to buy a new car to accomodate the darn seats!!! That's why everyone has a BIG car these days!! I have 3 in seats & one more on the way. I am going to have to buy an even bigger car this fall!!
Old 05-28-2004, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Feet hitting the back of the seat is not a big deal. In the event of an accident, I would rather my son break his leg than his neck. Although, his feet are not yet touching the back of the seat, thankfully.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:38 PM

I want to read this study! Keep us updated. We turned dd forward at 18 months, though she still had three more inches. We waited until icy weather was over. Car trips are a bit easier now.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmamma
Were you using a tether? The tether makes my seat completely immobile.
I use a tether and am confused about this issue. Does your tether go towards the back of the car or the front of the car?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amywillo
I use a tether and am confused about this issue. Does your tether go towards the back of the car or the front of the car?
It depends on the seats position in the car. If the seat is rear facing the teather goes towards the font of the car. If foward facing towards the back of the car. Wish I could draw a picture.

I don't know about where you live but here you can go to the Sheriff's office and a car seat expert will check your seat out and correct it as needed. The last I heard 80% of carseats in our county where installed improperly when checked. The sherriff's office has voluntary carseat checkpoints and advertises them, also.

I've never heard of this study. I hope someone finds the research and posts a link.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgrtkidos
It depends on the seats position in the car. If the seat is rear facing the teather goes towards the font of the car. If foward facing towards the back of the car. Wish I could draw a picture.

I don't know about where you live but here you can go to the Sheriff's office and a car seat expert will check your seat out and correct it as needed.
I have some Britax Roundabouts from 1999 and 2000, and I read a report on Consumer Report's that said that in their crash testing, the Roundabout fared differently depending on tether placement. The seat was safer in the rear facing position if the tether also went to the rear. It was less safe than the other models they tested if the tether went to the front. With my first daughter I used it with the tether going forward since that was my only option, and I hadn't read the Consumer Reports article. I hooked it on something on the floor that wasn't part of the seat. Pulling the tether taut made the seat really firm, and also helped to keep it reclined.

Now I have the carseat rear facing with the tether also rear facing. I can't pull it taut, or the carseat would be pulled too far upright. So the carseat can still move a lot, although I put some lengths of pool noodle underneath the edge of the carseat that touches the seat back. I don't like this arrangment as well and I'm not sure why it would be safer, other than maybe if you get into a collision, it is better to have the seat move with the baby's head rather than stay firmly in place while the baby moves.

We do have carseat safety checkpoints and I'll have to look into when the next one is. Apparently the lines are very long, though, and not everyone gets to the front.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amywillo
Amywillo...It's important to read your vehicle manual AND your seat manual. They will specifically tell you HOW to tether and WHERE to tether.
Britax is currently the only car seat that allows REAR FACING tethering.

I have started posting car seat safety tips on the Parenting forum if you want to check it out. I'll try to do a few every week.

CPS tech and mom to 2 sons in seats
Making a difference one car seat at a time.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:52 AM

For those who want to find out where the next seat safety check up event is in their area, try the link below.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/whati...fm?fitting=yes

CPS tech and mom to 2 sons in seats
Making a difference one car seat at a time
Old 05-29-2004, 11:58 AM

The car which DD was in at the age when we turned her was a 1999 model. It had neither LATCH nor tether anchors. I asked around at different dealers about getting an anchor put in, but everyone said they couldn't do it and it was illegal to modify the car. The car that we have DD in now, is a 2000, and is tethered foreword facing, but rear-facing, because of the position of the anchor, the tether strap does not reach to the anchor in a rear-facing position. We have a wagon, and the tether anchor is at the very back. Rear-facing it won't reach (besides DD is too heavy for rear-facing now anyway, she is beyone the weight/height limit) of the Marathon.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 05-29-2004, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren
Britax is currently the only car seat that allows REAR FACING tethering.
Ah, I was getting worried. I read the car seat manual cover-to-cover and I was *sure* that for both of ours, they weren't supposed to be tethered rear facing.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

User Tag List