How have online 'friends' surprised you with love lately? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-31-2004, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my gallbladder out last Thursday and was on my back for a day or two. It was (fortunately) able to be done laproscopically so here I am day 5 and tho still moving slow...i'm moving. and eating for the first time in months without pain

After some bad stuff went down elsewhere a while back I've been pretty wary bout online friends and well... once again they surprised me in a good good way. So even tho some really bad things can happen when you trust folks met online, its possible that really really good things can happen too.

These women , most of whom I've never met irl (two are irl friends) coordinated and some lovely flowers made it to my house the day after the surgery along with a gift card to my all time favorite resteraunt. I was really blown away by the thoughtfulness. They made me cry...good tears.

so - tell me - how have online 'friends', women who you've never met, made your day lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 05-31-2004, 11:18 PM

Must bump.....

#3 of 28 Old 05-31-2004, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awwww..... That is so sweet!!! I so glad you're feeling better!

YEA MAMA'S!!
#4 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 12:36 AM
PM
Banned

Twenty-some online friends folded 1000 origami cranes for me. One online friend coordinated it. One IRL and one online friend hung them in a Buddhist temple. hint hint

My first real online friend never ceases to amaze me! We've now loved each other deeply for 6 years as of two weeks ago! My man, the father of my beautiful child!
#5 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 12:37 AM

bumpity bump... oh, yeah, some mamas here have offered to send me some Gripe Water from Canada... say it works on coliky babies... one of which I have!
#6 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 12:40 AM
PM
Banned

Oh yeah! Another gave me a case of Noni juice, along with some other precious items, which has been a major part of my alternative treatment! Thank you!

I've also started a closer relationship with another mama whom I have admired for a long time!
#7 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 12:45 AM

I had one mama from another board I'm on make me diaper covers when I was making the decision about whether or not to CD. I had another mama from the same board suprise me with a crock pot when she realized that I really don't know how to cook and with all my kids' activites didn't have much time either.

OH, and we had a secret santa around Christmas time and I never received my gift. I didn't mention it because I knew the mom who was my buddy was having a hard time and it wasn't a big deal. She knew I hadn't received the gift, though and mentioned it to another mom. Last month one of the other moms sent me a bottle of the most beautiful perfume. I mentioned one time on the board that it was my favorite but that I couldn't justify the expense.

Online friends are lovely!
#8 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 12:51 AM

A very nice online friend gave me my tattoo. It was a lovely surprise

Another friend invited me to dinner at her house!! That was alot of fun!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#9 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 01:46 AM

It was over a year ago now but...

My dh had been unemployed for about 5 months and T had outgrown all of his clothes. An MDC mom... who I don't see around here anymore Asked for my address. She sent me about 20 outfits, 2 pair of shoes, about 10 sleepers, a portable high chair and a pack of diapers

It was an amazing thing! T wore those clothes for about 8 months and now B will be wearing them too. All she did was say that she had a "few" things to send me and I got 2 boxes of stuff!! It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for us

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#10 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 01:50 AM

Well i was invited over to dinner with some of our lovely mommas...

and im in a financial constraint and a wonderful momma sent me some money to help out with groceries... and she will never know how much that meant to me....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#11 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 02:02 AM

#12 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 02:03 AM

These stories are just beautiful!
I want to add a story but it isn't on-line friends however I did find my homeschool group on-line (but it is a local group).
Anyway, we have really struggled finacially the last year or so. Last Christmas it was really bad, dh was unemployed, we had to move out of our last home etc....... Well our homeschool group all got together and bought x-mas gift (to be from dh and I) for our kids, gave us a 2 bi-lo (a grocery store) cards, a wal-mart card and over $300 in cash. Plus at least a few weeks worth of groceries. One mama gave us a love seat and coffe table she no longer needed, and another gave us a x-mas tree. I was touched beyond words. I love these mamas and I am so thankful I found them on-line!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#13 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 02:13 AM
XM

When we became homeless, Apricot offered us her old house... the first time we met IRL was when she gave me the keys... how's that for online love?
#14 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 AM

Man, so many wonderful things have been done for me by both online friends and aquaintences, and hardly a day goes by when I don't remember one thing or another.
#15 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 03:42 AM

What diaper fairy thing? I would love to participate! I've kind of steered clear of the diapering forum for a bit because I'm on a diaper diet but I'd love to help someone else ...any excuse to buy diapers, I say!
#16 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 03:42 AM

This is a GREAT thread!

When my grandma died last month, two of my MDC TTC friends (who'd I'd just met the day before) sent me flowers. I was amazed and felt so loved.

Another On-line friend (from another board entirely) has mailed me tons and tons of CDs of bellydance music, and sends me little gifts all the time. She sent me a cool key chain just b/c she saw it and "knew it was for me." I help her out with advice all the time, so it is her way of repaying me

Sadly, the times I have tried to help out on-line friends haven't worked out so well... one friend had converted to Judaism in Europe, but the Israeli rabbinate wasn't accepting her conversion. A group of us were trying to raise money to help her reconvert, but it did not work out (she moved, lots of other issues were going on).
#17 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 AM

I don't post very often at all, but an MDC mama sent me a huge bunch of cloth diapers when I was still pregnant with Anneliese and not doing so well financially. I that mama for being so generous -- she wouldn't even take money for the cost of shipping! Plus, she also tries to get me to post a bit more and come out of my shell.

On another board where I used to be fairly active, there is a LOT of love that goes on, especially when some folks experienced horrible tragedies. That place has become rather catty, but damn, those woman can come together when hard times come for an "old timer". My friends from there are wonderful, and some of them travelled cross country for my wedding!
#18 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 10:34 AM

This thread is sooo awesome

My tattoo (aka DDDDC) came as a birthday present when it was really needed! Thanks Joan!!!
#19 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Oh, yeah, and Pumpkinhead just sent me some gripe water this morning!!! Whitecrew4 is always available for lactation consulting... even when she's tired. Tricia80 is always available for vegan consulting... Mom4tot gave me my tattoo... ummm..... CarrieBeary77 is an excellent and supportive friend who brought me brownies and lasagne when Adam was born. She's also babysat my kids for me... As has WendyLouWho...they both chipped in when my MIL said she wouldn't babysit my kids when I went to school (one week before school started)...I love MDC... THANK YOU ALL!!!
#20 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 PM

sorry to hear about your gallbladder surgery, barb, i know pam knows a lot about that recovery process. i don't know if she comes here, tho'.

i have had a nursing shirt sent to me, gratis (my first one! thanks, kim!), kefir grains, beautiful cards when i've felt low... i don't want to forget anyone, but i have to use the grabby no-longer nak baby as an excuse to cut it short! he's crazy! no, no dry erase pens!

suse
#21 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 04:04 PM

I think Giraffelovinmama has a link in her sig on how to participate in the diaper fairy thing, I'll go look it up.
#22 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 04:10 PM

#23 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 04:23 PM

I've been with a group of December 1999 Mom's since my oldest ds was 5mos. old. When he was 2 yrs. we were pregnant again after trying. My dh was in a car accident and two weeks after that we lost the baby (11th week). My dh didn't work for about 1.5mos. because of the accident, he was going to a lot of therapy (slight brain injury). The Dec. 99 ladies sent us quite a large check and also had a star named after our angel baby. And had a baby blanket made/embroidered for him that they sent us. We were so overwhelmed when we got those packages. A few months after that we lost another baby and they had a special pillow embroidered with all of our names on it. As for recently, I have gotten PM's from Mama's telling me to have a great day. Just one person thinking of you can make such a big difference in your day....

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#24 of 28 Old 06-01-2004, 04:48 PM

I have been diaper faired and a few other mamas sent me stuff when I was ready to give up on cd'ing when I was having trouble finding something to help my super soaker at night.

I have been tattoed and have had mamas just offer me a hug when I was really down and needed a pick me up.
#25 of 28 Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM

I just had to chime in and say "thank you" here to my Spanish-speaking tribe friends :

In my last pregnancy, they were my support and well, friends! Intymama sent me a sling, when I was wondering how to make one (and of course I, or should I say we, love it! :bf especially the first 3 months) Then Len organized an on-line blessingway-inspired ceremony, which was an incedible experience (just imagine, 6 women all over the world having a date to honour me & my baby!) amazingly important to my feeling empowered during the last stages of pregnancy and during labour. After that they all sent me something special, for me & the baby... and they all remembered my oldest DD too Thank you Len, Luma, Ivanhoe!
And later, just because, Luma sent me several bellydancing CDs (one of which I'm listening right now)

The thrill of getting a parcel from so far, and the special things sent made me feel very special. And really, they are all a thoughtfull, fun gang! Mis buenas amigas! Iva, Luma, Len, intymama, quilla, Eggie, aivilo, Miranda, and all the others who come and go and are always welcome and I whom I hope will forgive me not mentioning them

Did I say I love you all?
#26 of 28 Old 06-06-2004, 05:51 PM

Awww i feel the love...

ive recently been cheered up by MDC moms due to some emotional turmoil happening in life and financial constraints... sometimes hugs help more than money to get you through the hard times...

I love this place...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#27 of 28 Old 06-06-2004, 08:05 PM

An MDC mom is sending me a breast pump so I can work I'm not glad I have to think about giving B a bottle but I'm glad I know where its coming from

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#28 of 28 Old 06-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Banned

i had a crappy weekend last week; my MIL made me cry, one of my cats was gone (and has since returned) and another one (the one i'd had since i was four) had been put to sleep. we got home and i had been diaper fairy-ed! i got a gorgeous new berry patch diaper and it turned my mood around.

also, another MDC mama is graciously letting us stay at her house this summer for a few days, which is saving us a ton of money. (thanks gem! ) i'm very excited to meet her and her kiddos and show off mine.

an MDC mama i'm friends with elsewhere online mailed me her breastpump when i lost mine and was going back to work. that was so kind of her!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page