premonitions? freaking out a bit--please tell me what you think of this....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Three weeks ago, a friend sent me an email telling me that the baby of a friend of hers had died of SIDS. The next day, my mom called to tell me that a friend of mine from high school had been in a car accident. Her 3 yr old dd had been in the car with her and was unhurt, but my friend was killed. That night, totally out of the blue, I had this strong feeling that a friend of mine was going to have a miscarriage. She was about 6 weeks along, and had just found out she was pregnant. I could hear her name in my head, and the number three. I tried to push it out, but the feeling wouldn't go away.

Everything seemed to be going fine with her pregnancy, so I eventually dismissed it. Then, yesterday she went in for some tests and they discovered that the baby had died at around 6 weeks gestation, about the same time I had my weird "episode".

What's really freaking me out is that this isn't the first time this has happened to me. A few years ago, we were at my mom's for a holiday weekend and my sister in law's grandfather and grandmother were killed in a car wreck while we were there. The next day, I had this intense feeling that my own grandfather was going to die, and the number three was there as well. I pushed it out of my mind as just weirdness, but a week later my mother called to tell me he had passed.

I don't like this. What is it? Coincidence? The first time, I thought so. But now that it's happened again, I don't know what to make of it. I'm not "into" this kind of stuff. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM

Well, I don't think it's cooincidence. I think you have some kind of telepathic ability... that happened to me twice too. It is freaky, i agree, but there is this whole other world that we don't really have answers to...Have you ever experienced it about anything other then death? mine was about my daughter getting sick and a client going into labor.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#3 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM

When I worked in the admitting office at a hospital, the old-timers told me that "deaths and births come in threes." We used to get the death and birth notices printout automatically as the staff on the different floors entered them into the computer system and sure enough they seemed to do that, spitting out in threes nearly every time.

It sounds like somehow you are tuned into that and receiving a warning, as it were, to be ready for the third one. Not sure of what the purpose might be, but here's a in sympathy. My DH is empathetic and sometimes gets precognitions and it's a hard row to hoe sometimes.
#4 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM

I heard a saying once that went something like: some things are true whether you beleve them or not.

I beleive we all have innate phsycic ablities - some of us are just more in tune with t than others. I dont really have advice for you, but I do think you need to embrace this part of your psyche. I dont think you can change it.

It feels freaky b/c there is no explanation for it - but IMO that doesnt = evil or insane or any other negative connotations.

#5 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
you need to embrace this part of your psyche. I dont think you can change it.

It feels freaky b/c there is no explanation for it - but IMO that doesnt = evil or insane or any other negative connotations.
But how do I embrace it? I don't think it is evil or negative, I'm just wondering why this is happening to me. For what purpose--KWIM? What am I supposed to do with this information?? I certainly didn't tell my friend about it, but when she called to give me the bad news, I knew why she was calling as soon as I picked up the phone and heard her voice. Maybe the premonition was to prepare me so that I could better support her when it happened? My mom leaned on me heavily when my grandfather died too. I don't know.

Weird about the threes, too. I'd never heard that, but now that you mention it, I have 3 friends who are due close to the end of the year--my friend who miscarried would've been the fourth. Strange.

And yes, it has happened to me with things other than death, but I never paid much attention to it. I'm not sure I want to go there. OTOH, if I could understand it better and find peace with it, maybe it would be less stressful on me? Reeling a bit right now. All input welcome.
#6 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 01:35 PM

Wow! I don't know what to tell you about "what to do". Personally, I'd do NOTHING. What purpose would it have served your friend if you had disclosed that you had a "vision" of her miscarrying? Probably just ticked her off at you, and then when it did happen, she might've been all the more mad. I've never had it happen to me, but I'm sure this is a burden to bear in some ways.
#7 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 01:55 PM

I have always found that deaths come in threes-to the point where when I hear of one or two I wait for the 3rd. It doesn't even have to be people who are close to me.
Everyone has abilities that they don't know where they come from. I would not think of your premonitions as being evil or you may be inviting in things you don't want.
Focus on the fact that you might have had these premonitions-just like you said-to be better prepared to help your loved ones.
I would not tell your friend-it won't go over well.
#8 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapman
I would not tell your friend-it won't go over well.
Oh, no, I have absolutely no intention of telling her (or anyone else) about it. I even was reluctant to talk about it here, but it's really bugging me, and needed to vent somewhere. When I was wondering aloud on this thread what to do with the information, I didn't mean that I thought I should literally act on it in an outward way. I was thinking more along the lines of how do I process it internally. Where do I put it in my mind, how do I think about it in a way that won't drive me crazy, that sort of thing. It never crossed my mind to tell anyone I'd had a "premonition" about them. I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me!!
#9 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 03:24 PM

By embrace I mean accept. Try and learn more about it. I have had similar things happen - only they were dreams. At first they freaked me out but then I realized it would never go away and the more I feared it, the more it would negatively affect me. What you do with the information is up to you. Follow your gut. There will be times when you *have* to share your premonitions - but you will know when the time comes.

I personally dont believe that your premonitions had anything to do with your friend miscarrying or anything so if you are feeling somewhat responsible - dont.

I dont really know what else to say - other than hang in there....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page