Why are toddler swimsuits so skimpy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I even saw an auction at ebay that had 4T and "Sexy" both written in the title :

One year my oldest DD had a 1 piece suit with boy shorts- I loved it. Wasn't climbing and riding all the time and stuff.

Now I'm looking for the same style in 18M and 3T and I can't find it anywhere. Well, I found it at tuttibella but only in the smaller size and for 50.00! Still I'd buy it if it were the right size.

I'm looking all over and I'm suprised at how many 'sexy" style suits they have for little kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 11:15 AM

I know it's gross . Check target, they actually had some one pieces for little girls that were sorta cute, they had fish and stuff on them. They had some skimpy suits but a lot of them were ok.

I got one for my dd on ebay last summer and it was a one piece in size 2t, but this year it's harder to find. Sears sometimes has some basic tank suits in 3t. What surprises me is I have found the skimpier suits in the smaller sizes vs the larger ones wth?? One year my sil bought my newborn a 2 piece, I was not amused at all.

ETA if you don't mind used you might want to check a consignment shop, on ebay I saw a bunch of used one pieces in size 18 months.
#3 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 11:16 AM

I KNOW! My 4yo DD is very lean and long bodied, and it is impossible to find a swimsuit for her. She also has a....well......plump bottom. She has a two piece from Old Navy which the bottom is a skirt, and she wears a long enough tank top to cover her belly. One pieces only crawl up her hiney, and neither I nor her want her belly showing (this kid has a 6 pack-no kidding, and looks a little too grown in a two piece). I would love to find a swimsuit for her with shorts and a long enough top to cover everything.

#4 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 11:37 AM

Funny, I've heard myself arguing about this before! It must be someone that doesn't have a daughter that designs those things. I thought maybe I was just being a prude. Guess not. Dd has a one piece hawaiin print suit with a separate skirt which she has to wear or her little butt hangs right out. So it could still use more coverage in that area.
#5 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 11:47 AM

I never really thought about it with two DSs but we visit friends in FL every year and our friends' daughter, who's 7 1/2 is an absolutely gorgeous child. She wore a two piece suit which nearly qualified as a bikini and looked like a model!

OTOH, Ash is a completely laid-back, tomboyish child who is appropriate for age and her mother (God bless her) wants to keep it that way, so I never said a word to her when she'd climb out of the pool and the suit was crept up so far she looked like she was wearing a thong. Not her fault, yk, and I didn't want to make her in any way conscious of it.

I got to thinking about it and thought, y/k, if it weren't for society's stupid rules, we'd be letting them run around naked at that age without a thought, so who cares if it's "modest." She's a KID. OTOH we were at a private pool and not a public beach with possible freakazoids around.
#6 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 11:52 AM

I know land's end has some cute toddler swimsuits - a tankini that actually covers the belly, a cute floral skirted suit, and a smocked 2piece.. and they're all around $25.

Carters also has some cute tank suits with tie-on sarong type skirts .. but i've yet to find one around here.
#7 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 12:05 PM

I'm going to be the voice of dissention here. I really like bikinis for little girls. I have several practical reasons. First of all, with a bikini, little girls can wear them one summer as their nice suit and usually the next summer as their lake/beach suit. When they only grow taller and not rounder it's more economical. Second, like a previous poster said, if it weren't for society's capricious rules, we would be letting them all run around naked. My dd would be naked all the time if I gave the OK. A bikini seems like a good compromise. Third, when they are potty training, they can pull down their own bikini bottoms to go pee instead of waiting for you to completely undress them out of a one piece. I don't know about you guys, but my dd always has to go potty right after I get her dressed and ready to go. Now, I would prefer that dd's suit didn't look like a thong, but I've always been able to go to Old Navy or Target and find something pretty cheep that worked just fine for us. I also think toddler bellies look adorable sticking out of a bikini. JMHO.
#8 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I find DD's handmedown two piece to be more convenient for changing into and out of also, but it's not what I'd call a bikini either.

Why are toddler suits so skimpy? Probably the same reason we had a tough time finding some new clothes for DD at Target that weren't the little girl as slut look, dumbass perv for designers who can't let little girls just be little girls. :

"What will you do once you know?"
#9 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 12:34 PM

KMART-I tell ya! Awesome selection. usually about $7 a pop. Bought DD 2 this year, then found the "lost"ones from last year. (A one piece "Nemo" and a 2 piece "Nemo" suit-made for KIDS!!!!!! She is 7yo and has ummm-curves- so this year was a lil challenging. They did have a few older looking suits but the other 2 I got were kid friendly. A one piece with a "skirt"you could wear when around teh pool. just an accesory but CUTE. the other a 2 piece and the bottom hasa small "skirt"too. I love it. She is a kid and it fits her as a kid, it doesn't look liek she is trying to be 16 yo.
#10 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 12:51 PM

Has anyone considered sunsuits? Thats what both my little girls are wearing too the beach this year. Great sun coverage, dry quick, and kinda cute!
#11 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 01:14 PM

czen-but you are from Canada, aren't Speedos required by law? lol Just kidding!

Let me explain!!! Here in NJ even the radio station occasionally have discussions about why Canadians -well specifically French Canadians-always wear speedos. It is in innocent fun. But even growing up-you always knew who the French Candians were when in cape May or Wildwood, they were pale and the men were and lil boys were always in Speedos!
#12 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 01:19 PM

Thats too funny! I didn't realize people to the south knew the joke! Yes, somehow that seems to be a Quebec joke and I am in BC. Speedos are banned here!
#13 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 01:43 PM

I would second the Carters suggestion. I got a cute, modest two piece with boy shorts there once. It was adorable. They seem to stick with "kid-style" prints. I did buy a one piece at Target with fish on it, but it doesn't fit as well as the one piece (gingham with tiny white daisies) that I got at Gap : .

I'm not sure why they make kid's suits look sexy. It's icky. I am so glad my girls are teeny and can still wear the toddler stuff at Target. The girls section scares me.

wave.gif
#14 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 01:46 PM

Oh man, I hate this! My dd is almost 6 and very tall and skinny, I had a terrible time finding her a swimsuit that didn't make her looky too grown up. I finally found a cute little girl 2 piece, but we looked at 3 different stores before finding it! Then last month she came home from her bio mom's house with one of the slutty looking suits! This thing was pink and sparkly, the top was cut to look like a triangle top, and the bottom was low rise boy shorts. Why would anyone let their kid wear something like that?
#15 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:10 PM

I don't have a personal problem with toddler bathing suits being skimpy. I think that it is OK for a toddler to be naked. Usually my dd just wears a swim diaper, but she also has a flowered one peice from the (evil, I know) Gap.

However, really small bikinis for girls on the brink of puberty bother me. I think it is sending the wrong messages to our girls.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#16 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, I'd put a 2 piece on her before a 1 piece without boy shorts. So, mothernature, it isn't that I'm just trying to bash 2 pc swimsuits I'd rather her belly hang out than her butt.

In our own back yard and in private areas I'll let the girls run around naked. Somehow I'd even feel better for them to be running around naked and natural at the beach than a "skimpy" or "sexy" like suit. But I do feel akward putting them in suits that look "grown up"... I guess I just don't get what would posess someone to advertise a 4T swimsuit as "SEXY!" blech.

*personally* I hate any that aren't boy shorts because they climb up to being a thong. My girls ahve pooch bellies and the bikin tops tend to roll up on them. SO- I look for 1 piece with boy shorts. Which is nearly impossible to find. Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.tuttibellakids.com/submar...i-boy-cut.html I'm gonna go look at some of the suggested sites. See what I can find.
#17 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8flmom
I don't have a personal problem with toddler bathing suits being skimpy. I think that it is OK for a toddler to be naked. Usually my dd just wears a swim diaper, but she also has a flowered one peice from the (evil, I know) Gap.

However, really small bikinis for girls on the brink of puberty bother me. I think it is sending the wrong messages to our girls.
No, like i said- I agree... there is something sweet and natural about a naked baby or just a swim diaper. I'd MUCH rather let them be like that than in a skimpy suit. There is something just wrong (to me) about a little kid being primped up in next to no clothes- and it is much different than being naked and natural.

I can't put my finger on why I feel that way- or what the difference is... but I definately feel differently about the two.
#18 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:25 PM

I know what you are saying, totally, espessially here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
In our own back yard and in private areas I'll let the girls run around naked. Somehow I'd even feel better for them to be running around naked and natural at the beach than a "skimpy" or "sexy" like suit. But I do feel akward putting them in suits that look "grown up"... I guess I just don't get what would posess someone to advertise a 4T swimsuit as "SEXY!" blech.

I hope I never ever see the words "Sexy" and "4T" together, that is just not right!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#19 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:42 PM

It is the way we think and see things. I mean isa woman in a thong and spike heels seen as sexier than one just totally naked? Usually. Clothes can portray a certain image is the point and why make your lil girl look a like a man hunting teen or adult?
#20 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Like this?

Here's another lovely suit:
http://www.tuttibellakids.com/kidcos...er-bikini.html (sorry in advance is someone likes this- it just seems like such a frill/primp suit and just bugs me)
#21 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sense bebesho...

Lands end tankini is real cute- just wish it had boy shorts. Am I the only one whose kids can keep standard ones out of their butt?
#22 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 02:56 PM

I am going to have to back up Czen on this, maybe it is the area we live? Sunburns are bad, so I put DS in one of the sun suits like this:
http://www.bareware.net/bodyblocker.htm
Of course, now bareware is sold out, but it is a great option. DS is fair skinned, and this really helps with the challenge of trying to sun block him.
Aha! Found the link!
http://www.bodyblocker.com/kids.htm
#23 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

guess they look to hot... are they cool and comfy? If so I'm all for that style!
#24 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Eek, Rainbow!
"So fun and so sexy!" I think those were the words. What the hell was that ebayer thinking? I have half a mind to contact her/him and ask why the words sexy should be used to describe a bathing suit for a child! It is a sick sad world. I get sad enough when dd brushes her hair and says "Pretty" I wonder if that child gets dressed and says "Sexxxy!"

#25 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 03:11 PM

DS overheats easily, and seems to be just fine in his. He is not very vocal to tell me otherwise though.
The fabric is surprisingly thin for something with 100SPF. It is breathable and a little stretchy as well.
#26 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebesho2
It is the way we think and see things. I mean isa woman in a thong and spike heels seen as sexier than one just totally naked? Usually. Clothes can portray a certain image is the point and why make your lil girl look a like a man hunting teen or adult?
Good point. I've been thinking about this all day and I see what y'all are talking about.
#27 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8flmom
Eek, Rainbow!
"So fun and so sexy!" I think those were the words. What the hell was that ebayer thinking? I have half a mind to contact her/him and ask why the words sexy should be used to describe a bathing suit for a child! It is a sick sad world. I get sad enough when dd brushes her hair and says "Pretty" I wonder if that child gets dressed and says "Sexxxy!"
exactly!
I probably wouldn't be so frustrated with it if I went to target, kohls, the mall, etc... we buy most everything 2nd hand and I think suits are something that get worn to their grave. So all I see are the pageant style ones that are expensive or what not. Then I looked on ebay and saw that, and a few that were like the ones I see in the consignment shops or characters, and we don't do characters either. I am finding much more acceptable options with the suggestions from this thread.
#28 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Well, I see your point about having a toddler wear a suit billed as sexy. That's just tasteless, but I didn't see anything wrong with the Tommy Hillfiger suit aside from the fact that it was Tommy. I mean, it's just a swimsuit. The other link showed a very tacky suit. Not my taste at all. My dd doesn't seem to have a problem keeping her suit out of her crack though. If we were having that problem I would definitely persue boy shorts. If she was a body conscious preteen I would try to help her find a modest suit, but I still wouldn't enforce a one-piece (I know you didn't suggest that.) I also wouldn't buy a suit that looked like Lolita.
#29 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had this problem as well. Ainsley does not like bikinis, my mom bought her one and she kept tugging at the top to cover her belly and was uncomfortable. I found two suits at K-Mart last year that are one piece with short like legs on them that she loves. This year I found a suit that has a rash guard type top and shorts for the bottom. It seems like the closer she gets to the regular sizes (out of the T ones) the sleazier the clothing and shoes become. I want her to look stylish but still look like a little girl.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#30 of 60 Old 07-05-2004, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
DC wears a small suit. Bottoms only are the standard where I live and vacation (Europe) and we have everything from shorts to a string bikini bottom but she usually goes naked. I totally see the point about billing something as “sexy” for a child, that’s just weird. I do think some suits (even small ones) can be more about a comfort thing (a sung bikini doesn’t ride on DC, btw). I guess I’m just saying that I don’t have any problems with a toddler naked, half naked or in a small bathing suit but the intentions certainly shouldn’t be sex appeal.

Troll? Here's me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page