25,000- 35,000 67 15.12%
35,001-50,000 91 20.54%
50,001 or above 216 48.76%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not being nosey. It's just that sometimes I feel like I whine about how little dh makes. But I know there are others making the same or less.

I'm just curious... the food $$ thread got me wondering.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Gross right? Before taxes? We pay our own health insurance, no pre-natal insurance, so in my case, gross income is a little misleading.
#3 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:42 PM

I voted 35,000 to 50,000. this is only including dh's job, because I work p/t (very little hours) only to suport myself (my handbags, clothdiapers and others such as these) so that does not count.

I can't really complain! we have a good lifestyle!
#4 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM

and and this is not including health insurance, because my dh's co. pays 100% for all of our healthcare costs. so that's extra (they pay about $1000 a month for our family to have health insurance)
#5 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's so relative, depending on where you live and how much debt you are having to pay off. I know people that make a good deal more money than we do, but it seems like their lifestyles are not really different, either because they just live in a more expensive area, or because they are paying off school loans (we aren't) or are paying off a higher mortgage (we were able to buy when interest rates were way down) or something like that.
#6 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

At least you can pay for your own benefits!! Bryce has medicaid (since I had it when pg) and we are working on famis for Tracy. Insurance is annoying but something that can be hard to live without. When I had Bryce our hospital bills combined were 14,000 I can't imagine paying that off!! That isn't even including prenatal!

#7 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM

25-35k here. Usualy we are smack dab in the middle but this year we may be pushing the top end of the range.

We scrape by a lot, but any time I want to complain I remember the year that we made 16 k (with two kids) and I suddenly feel a whole lot better about our finances...

MM
#8 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 03:52 PM

I voted $25k or less, because I assumed you meant USD, and I'm canadian. I could be off on the exchange rate
#9 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 04:07 PM

I voted $50,001 +. I work 2 days per week as a nurse and DH is an anesthesia resident and is salaried. His hourly income comes out to <$10 per hour. Pretty pitiful considering we owe $250,000 for his medical education.
#10 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 04:07 PM

Well, if you start talking USD then my estimate goes way down!

Honestly, I assume that in a lot of places 25k CND will buy you the same in Canada as 25k USD will in the states.

Of course standard of living is so variable it may all be kinda meaningless anyhow. I know that in Southern Ontario we would be dirt poor but in rural Manitoba we are close to middle class.

MM
#11 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 04:16 PM

damn.. poor medical residents... we make a little over 25000 a year... we are just Very lucky w/ parental support
#12 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
A&A

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You mentioned how much your DH makes--is your question asking how much my dh makes, or how much we make together? (gross FAMILY income.) Yes, we have more money, but you get the benefit of being a SAHM. What numbers do you actually want to compare?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#13 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It's so relative, depending on where you live and how much debt you are having to pay off. I know people that make a good deal more money than we do, but it seems like their lifestyles are not really different, either because they just live in a more expensive area, or because they are paying off school loans (we aren't) or are paying off a higher mortgage (we were able to buy when interest rates were way down) or something like that.
That would be us. Dh makes a good living, but we barely scrape by because we have all three things mentioned above: Very high cost of living in an expensive area (gas, groceries, insurance, heck everything!), I have school loans, and a relatively high mortgage (not because our house is grandiose - we bought the smallest fixer upper that we could afford!).
#14 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:06 PM

I looked at our records and last year we made under $17,000. It probably won't be much more than that this year.
#15 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:06 PM

I'll guess around $29,000. My husband just got a $3.50 raise, which has really made things much easier for us. My job ends at the beginning of August, but I have only been bringing in about $5,000 a year anyway.

It sounds like so much when I write it out, feeling better now! :LOL
#16 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:14 PM

i voted over $50,000. we are in canada, but the cost of living/wage thing is pretty similar.

we live in a middle of the road for cost of living. our housing is relatively cheap, but we are maximizing our mortgage payments. groceries and gas are more expensive as we live on an island.

all in all we are very comfortable, with retirement savings and a newish van. we have no cc debt, and no other loans (only car and mortgage). That being said, we are definately not rolling in it and budget each month. this month screwed us as I need $700 glasses (my eyes suck). we don't take vacations unless they are to family, we don't go out alot and i only buy consighnment for the kids.

we could be much worse off, i consider myself pretty lucky.
#17 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:18 PM

$12K. (How did you choose those categories, by the way?)
#18 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:31 PM

We are between 25,00 and 35,00 with me, dh, dd, and ds. We live in California, don't own a home, and between the two of us work 7 days a week, total. We are poor as s**t with no prospects of ever owning a home, but staying home with the kids and actually seeing my husband is more important than $ for us. And besides, I kinda like the simple life (tho a vacation would be nice, too)

Mama to 3:
#19 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:52 PM

On a good year, we take in about 20k .. an average year our gross is closer to around 16500. About 2760/yr goes to our mortgage, 650/yr car insurance - we have no health insurance since it would have taken over 1/3 of DH's take-home pay every week.
#20 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:
At least you can pay for your own benefits!!
They take $5,000 out per year from my husbands check.

Its so expensive! But we qualify for zip!
#21 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 05:58 PM

I voted 50 + . We are very comfortable and now with my new p/t job extras will be better. My dh has a good job in computers, which pays for all our medical/dental and eye insurance. Plus he also is in the Reserves. We don't live grand but it is good. I am very grateful

weebitty I live on the Seacoast! We should have a NH get together!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#22 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're in the upper ranges of income. We only pay 100.00 a month out of pocket for our health insurance, and this just started this month, before that it was free I guess I didn't ever realize how good we had it until I started reading about all the people who make so little, yet manage to survive on it. We were making well over 40K by the time I was 20, and that was just dh's income b/c I was pregnant and had quit my job to be a SAHM. We also live in an area with a low cost of living, and the only debt we carry is our house and car, so we're very comfortable(when I"m not spending every extra dime we have on my business anyway :LOL)
#23 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Well, I voted 50K +
We are (I am ) very lucky. My DH is very determinate person and if he sets his mind on something he will do it and with success! He makes pretty good living considering he's been only 3 years out of school and in next 5 weeks or so his book will be published so I hope it'll be a national bestseller and will be very rich :LOL and happy! No really, we hope it'll make some good money to help us out even more and my family in Europe who are pretty poor.
#24 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 06:33 PM

I voted for $50K+. DH is salaried at his job (which sucks sometimes because there's no comp time or overtime paid for extra hours) but it is very steady -- I think the company has only ever laid people off once in the last 20 years. He doesn't love his job and is really only working there because it pays well and the benefits are good -- he'd love to go into full-time ministry at some point but I don't know about that.

I work three days a week (on average) and am paid hourly -- I'm a work at home wannabe mama doing graphic design and print layout. I love my job and am happy it is something I can continue doing once we have children. I've managed to build up a steady clientele over the last two years so I've not had to spend time looking for work (a real blessing for us) and, strangely enough, I make more now than I did when I worked full-time.

Most of our friends make more than us (which sometimes makes me envious because they go out and buy things on a whim) but their standard of living isn't any higher because of all the debt they're in.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#25 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 06:35 PM

the dollar amount is so meaningless. I have friends who live in other parts of the country who easily make twice what my DH earns. Yet we own (well, the bank owns, and we are buying) a 2600sq/ft house while they live in some teensy tiny two-room apartment or similar.

We are scraping by, but comfortably. We are not putting anything in savings, though, and often are living paycheck to paycheck, but not every week. We never go hungry. I have been so poor in the past that if I hadn't been given free food where I worked I wouldn't have eaten at all. I have been so poor in the past that I couldn't afford the bus fare or the time off work to go apply for food stamps. I would never have brought children into that situation, though.

I drive a car that is probably older than some of the Mamas here, but it gets me where I need to go and it fits two carseats. Our house is furnished in hand-me-down and Goodwill type furniture. But my family is not wearing rags, and like I said, we never go hungry. Most of the time all of our bills are paid on time, when I have to pay late fees it's more because I forgot to pay bills than us not having the money.
#26 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
$12K. (How did you choose those categories, by the way?)

Not sure. I was going to change them but when I got back to the thread ppl were already polling.

I'm kinda interested to see how many are on the low end of things. kwim?

I don't really want to know who is where though.

We SHOULD be comfortable with the income we have but we have debt We have auto debt which is nothing compared to school and credit debt. We ONLY have credit debt because dh was unemployed for 6 months and we had only had crappy jobs before that and we had to use credit to pay bills. Now we make a credit payment and have to use the same card to pay a bill so right now we are basically just passing around the same money...

#27 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 06:47 PM

#28 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 11:06 PM

Our income is less than $12K canadian a year before taxes.
#29 of 82 Old 07-08-2004, 11:22 PM

$11,000-$12,000 canadian a year.
#30 of 82 Old 07-09-2004, 01:05 AM

$7,003 canadian last year on my taxes....

yup im a poor starving student...but we make do...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page