Dog training tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone!

We decided to name our new dog Gracie, since she didnt respond at all to what the shelter called her. Gracie is obviously NOT house trained, and she doesn't seem to understand that "No" and "Bad girl" are not playing words. she has peed in the house no less then 3 dozen times, and not the huge puddles of a dog who just cannot hold it anymore. I'm talking squats to pee just a couple drops, which I still have to get down and scrub out of the carpet, despite my taking her outside constantly! And she doesn't even get that I am angry about that! Even a puppy would cower if I raised my voice at it, she is oblivious! I don't want to resort to physical punishment, I don't want to rub her nose in it, but she doesn't even understand that it is not good behaviour. How do you positively train an adult? I do praise her when she goes outside, the problem is that no matter how harshly I speak to her when she pees inside, she doesn't get that I am upset, so it does no good.
#2 of 3 Old 07-22-2004, 09:08 AM

Take her outside constantly and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE her when she pees and poops outside. If she is inside, you need to either have her in her crate or have her on a leash and keep her with you at all times. Then you can see when she is about to pee and get her outside.
She's not a bad dog, and she's not incapable of learning, she just needs you to supply the discipline and guidance as to what behaviors are expected and appropriate.
#3 of 3 Old 07-22-2004, 10:28 AM

My bet is that it's less that she doesn't understand that you're upset, and more that she doesn't understand what you're upset about. If you're pointing at the pee and saying no, she probably thinks the pee did something wrong. I don't know how old your dog is, but I recently trained a reluctant puppy and I know that what really worked (along with praise) was treats. I think a shelter dog is likely to be very motivated by food. So if Gracie figures out that going outside means neat treats, then she'll hold it. What also might help is trying to train her HOW to tell you she needs to go. Ditto to the previous post re:crate or leash confinement. You need to see her start to go so that when you're saying NO she's actually in the act and not afterward. Use a clap or a can of pennies to startle her into stopping and then rush her outside and PRAISE!! Don't use her name as a bad word, especially since it's new (don't shout GRACIE NO - just NO) so that she doesn't think her name is a bad thing. Also try an ensymatic cleaner so that the pee scent is totally gone (soap won't do it.) This is not going to be an overnight thing so please be patient! Check out this link...
http://www.doggiedoor.com/puppypoo.shtml

This site has some great info.

Leah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page