The working poor- SAHM's with partners working.. still living in poverty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to discuss the phenomenon of working families still living in poverty. How has it become that someone can work 50 hours a week and still not support a family easily and be above the poverty line. My partner has been working , very hard at the same job for 2 years . We are very comfortable at the wage he is making(still considered below the PL )but changes in his field of work may leave us short coming in the winter. The job market these days seems so divided, wage wise, leaving most families starting at minimum wage again.... including my father whom afterworking for a company for 25 years and being laid off because of the company moving to another center... cannot find work for more than a dollar above minimum wage. Just wanted a discussion on this topic... When did it start that families can hardly survive on one wage?

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 03:47 PM

I just heard something on the radio about this the other day, just flipping thru.

They actually blamed it on women's lib. They said it used to be understood that men needed to be paid enough to raise a family on, but it isn't like that anymore. With two-income families becoming more popular, 'they' pay everyone less, assuming that most people are not living on just that income.

I don't know if it makes sense entirely... because there are so many more single moms, divorced people, etc...

Just what I heard on the radio!
#3 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 03:56 PM

Another aspect that I have been hearing about on C-span is the notion of our economy being switched to a service economy. The manufacturing jobs and plants are moving out of the country and the new jobs are in the service industries which doesn't have any unionization and are minimum wage jobs. Also, the cost of living is steadily rising while wages are not.

I have been working poor all of my life. It sucks but I am trying to be a nurse and hopefully this may change.

In the meantime though... we will use the food bank when needed and continue to get through paycheck to paycheck the best that we can.

Peace,
Shelbi
#4 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

These are some of the reasons that I have heard as well. It just amazes me that this is happening. It is really a sacrifice for some families to have a parent staying home. I am waiting to go back to school as well. In the meantime we cannot afford dental care and many other things that could be considered essential. My uncle called the other day and was talking about how they are not taking a big vacation this year... they are just going to singapore for 3 weeks! "Where do you guys go for vacation?" !!!!!! Just to show how people are so out of touch considering this issue. It's not like we are not trying. My partner is out from 7 till 7 often 6 days a week! I have seen as well that many companies are only scheduling thier employees for 28 hours a week in order to avoid paying anyone overtime or having anyone on the payroll that works full time(somthing about taxes for employers?) I really feel for employers with small businesses though.

:
#5 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
They actually blamed it on women's lib. They said it used to be understood that men needed to be paid enough to raise a family on, but it isn't like that anymore. With two-income families becoming more popular, 'they' pay everyone less, assuming that most people are not living on just that income.
My G*d, is there anything they dont blame on women?
#6 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:21 PM

lol sweetbaby3 my thoughts exactly
#7 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:39 PM

I hear ya!

My husband is a teacher and we get by okay, but only because we have no mortgage (we do have a home equity loan though).

However, he sees *so* many students whose parents can not afford to have a parent stay home. His school district is a low-income area with primarily Mexican immigrants. (His school is about 80% first-generation US residents, most of the kids have moved to the US in the last few years) His experiences there have really opened my eyes about poverty.

There are fathers who are working 2 full time jobs while the mother babysits 6 kids in their home and they are *still* below the poverty line. There's a PROBLEM with that picture!!! Something is not right.

Kimberly
#8 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith
:
Because we couldn't have a single income family with a working woman and a SAHD? Or a single income family with a single mama or dad? Couldn't it be that 2-income families are more popular *because of the lower wages??? Sounds like a correlation--not causal evidence.

And, anyway, why can't/don't the companies share profits ethically/responsibily? Why are there so many super-rich CEOs and so many working-poor employees? And--why is the deciding factor *just how little* they can pay, based on the assumption of 2 incomes? I know--it's just business. The sacred economy. Blech.
#9 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're not actually "working" - just poor. :LOL But I wonder what it will be like when dh goes to work. He'll be done with school soon, and hopefully it won't take that long for him to get a teaching job. (High school choir) But the average starting salary is only $32,000 a year, which used to be a lot of money! I'm only 25, but when I was in middle school I remember my mother telling us that if she could only find work with her BA, she could make $20,000 a year and we would finally be middle class. $20,000 is nothing now. I've made that much before without even having a high school diploma.

A teacher's salary is enough to make us not qualify for public assistance, and we could probably rent a nicer place and pay off some of our debts, but it's not enough for us to buy a home or pay off dh's student loans (over $70,000). It's also not enough to pay for a private school for 2 kids, so I may have to become a SAHM to keep them out of the public schools, which will mean less money for us and no sympathy because I should just "get a job".

So I guess I'm on for the ride! I wonder if someday we will get back to where one parent can earn enough to support a whole family and buy a home while the other one is a SAHM.
#10 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! the poverty line here in Canada is at 24 thousand a year.(Thats Canadian dollars)so we have one person working an extremely labor intensive job for less than that! do your math on that! if 32 thousand american dollars is considered a modest income to raise a family on, consider half of that! ( and I agree that families should have at least that!) It all really goes back into the economy anyways... Why not give tax credits or some sort ofperk for parents that really want to have somebody home.

:
#11 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

PS I always get the " get a job" line too!

:
#12 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 05:32 PM

#13 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
They actually blamed it on women's lib. They said it used to be understood that men needed to be paid enough to raise a family on, but it isn't like that anymore. With two-income families becoming more popular, 'they' pay everyone less, assuming that most people are not living on just that income
I don't think that's it. It used to be that men were paid more, because it was assumed they were supporting a familiy, whearas a working woman was, most likely, single and childless. But feminists fought to bring women's wages up to the level of men's. I don't think men's wages fell down to the women's level.

Village Mama, you might be interested in the book The Two Income Trap, which discusses the financial problems that arise in some two income families. The book doesn't specifically discuss wages, but it does offer useful comparisons between the single income family of thirty years ago and the two income family of today. What the book says, in a nutshell, is that families with two incomes tend to rely on both incomes to cover their fixed expenses, such as hefty mortgage payments on houses in good school districts. Two income families have more bidding power than single income families, so housing prices in good school districts have soared beyond the reach of single income families.

The point of the book is not to malign two income families, but it does illustrate how, in some ways, a single income family is at a disadvantage today. In other ways, single income families have a distinct advantage--a stay at home parent who can enter the workforce if the breadwinner loses his/her job. Two income families are far more likely to experience a job loss, simply because the odds are greater--two workers means double the risk. And when you're counting on both incomes to pay your mortgage, you're in big trouble if the person who lost the job doesn't find another one right away.

I think housing is really the crux of the issue. In my city, a minimum wage worker needs to work over 100 hours a week in order to pay the rent on a two bedroom apartment. Rents and housing prices have increased at a faster rate than wages and that's bad news for everybody, but especially for single income families.
#14 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith
*cough*bullshit*cough*

Sorry... brief interlude.

Village Mama, you say the poverty level is $24,000 CAD - for how many people in the family? I'm trying to compare it one-for-one with the US poverty level. Here it's $18,000 USD, by todays exchange rate yours is $18,221.90 USD. So, if it's for a family of four, it's almost exactly the same as in the US. Anyway, just trying to make sure we all have the same perspective

Also, out of curiosity, what is the minimum wage in Canada? Here, it's $5.15/hour. If you and your spouse both work at minimum wage full time (which is highly unlikely because employers who only pay minimum wage don't generally want to give benefits to full time employees,) you'd collectively be bringing in $21,424/year. After taxes, you'd be raking in somewhere around $16,000/year or $1333/month. For that, if you're lucky you could find child care for $250/week - $1000 of your $1333.

ITA with you about how ridiculous the minimum wage and poverty levels are. Not only are they ridiculously low for any market, it makes such a fundamental difference whether you're living in, say, the Ozarks or in Manhattan. (I don't know of appropriate Canadian counterparts to those kinds of markets.) Maybe you can do it in the Ozarks, where you just might have enough space to put in a few vegetable plants and be able to hunt or fish. On the flip side, though, if you're that far out in the boonies, you're at a pretty serious disadvantage without a car which you could get away without in the city. So, it's probably a tradeoff. I have to wonder, would CPS take your kids away if you lived ten miles out of town and didn't have a car to take your kids to the hospital?

For the sake of pondering... in order for a single wage earner to make $18,000/year, s/he'd have to make $9/hr. My sister's bank pays starting tellers less than that. That is a "professional" job - wearing a tie and presenting an intelligent, educated face to people looking to trust you with their money.
#15 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 07:15 PM

What is really amazing is when you have been a sahm for a while, then you decide you need the extra income..reality hits when you have a child under school age and you attempt to find a daycare or prek that doesn't take every extra penny of the extra money you got the job for in the first place. We have to be the most unchildfriendly country when it comes to working that there is....sorry..can you tell I am in this predicament right now?
#16 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 07:24 PM

There ARE lots of people in the US who will settle for less than a living wage.
The women working for 'pin' money, ala the 1950s (men, too, of course)
The teenagers working after school
The 20somethings that are living at home with no rent
The elderly that are supplimenting a pension
People with free, good childcare, both can take a lower wage job
Having those people in the job market (hey, I was one once) drive down the wages. After all, most businesses will pay the least amount possible and those workers will take what a family can't live on.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#17 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 07:32 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Think about this when you VOTE, people.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 07:49 PM

Just once, I would like the government to recognize that being a PARENT *is* a full time job. Not expect every person to have a child and get right up and go to work. And, I would like to see the structure support that idea. I mean, would they like me to leave my kids in a daycare so I can work so I can pay the daycare??? Unfortunately, as was previously posted, that is the problem with many a single mom/dad.
#19 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 07:55 PM

In Ontario, minimum wage is $7.15 per hour (which works out to about $5.35 USD) -- I know that taxation rates are different here, so I'm not sure how this works out.

My parents think it's ridiculous that I would need to continue working once we have children; my mom quit her job to be a SAHM in 1979 and hasn't looked back. They can't understand why two incomes would be even remotely necessary. Well, that's because my dad makes $30,000 more per year than DH. Go figure.

I'll be a WAHM (right now I'm a WAHWife) to supplement DH's income.

Ontario recently introduced a plan to increase the number of daycare spots -- I think the provincial and federal governments need to figure out a way to enable mamas (and/or dads) to stay home longer with their babies (without financial hardship) rather than increasing daycare spots. ::sigh::

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#20 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 08:09 PM

#21 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes we do have a family of four... sory about any confusion! I do not work... at this time I do not have the skills to earn enough to support the whole family. I was also a bank teller before having kids.. I woulnt go back for the wages they are paying... besides the fact that it is definately not my thing! My partner only worked in the service industry before this job. His boss is amazing, but it is hard to pay your employees bigger wages and offert benifits when you own a small business. Minimum wage here is 8$ Per hour. FORTUNATELY WE DO NOT LIVE IN A CITY. when we lived in Victoria we brought in about 1200 dollars /month and rent for a 1 bedroom apartment was 750$ plus bills, a vehicle insurance etc.We moved to a small town in order to be able to afford to rent a house. Now that we can have a garden space it makes the cost of groceries more reasonable.. Not to complain but how about any low income families that want health care... alternative.. and it is completely not an option. Hopefully you dont wreck your back and have to see a chiropractor 3 times a week!

:
#22 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 08:50 PM

We really scored on healthcare - in my state there is a program that gets low-income families (and single people) REAL health insurance, not Medicaid, and you can see REAL doctors, and all you pay is 5%-30% of the premiums. We pay 5%. So we get private insurance for the whole family, and only pay about $30 a month. We get treated all respectable-like by the doctors we see, because they don't know that we don't pay full price. It's great! I wish all states had it.
#23 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 09:02 PM

I remember reading that Marx predicted this with the rise of corporations- basically the idea of 2 workers for the price of one. Scary.

I've been trying to find a link, maybe someone can help....
#24 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM

Corinne... I'm so moving to oregon.
#25 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 09:59 PM

We live way below the poverty line. DH works full-time and is in school full-time. This semester he will be teaching classes to make extra money. Right now we are at a place where we need me to work, but after daycare expenses for 2 kids and gas money, I will not be bringing in enough money to make a difference.
It makes me sad that the government does not care about people like us. We are trying so hard and yet we struggle every day. Yes, we do need to think about this when we VOTE.
#26 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 11:14 PM

Yeah, it upsets me when people assume the poor just need to get out and work.

This guy in class was telling me I should get a job at Domino's delivering pizzas. I asked if I could bring my kids with me in the car, and he said no, the company doesn't allow that, but "With the money you make, you could afford daycare!" Great, I'll go get a minimum-wage job so I can pay for daycare that I wouldn't need if I didn't have the job.

Of course, others suggest that I should have married a rich man. What rich man wants to marry a poor, uneducated, slightly overweight woman with 2 kids?!

GWH - I don't know if this health program is unique to Oregon. It's called the Family Health Insurance Assistance Program. There's a one-year waiting list.
#27 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
We really scored on healthcare - in my state there is a program that gets low-income families (and single people) REAL health insurance, not Medicaid, and you can see REAL doctors, and all you pay is 5%-30% of the premiums. We pay 5%. So we get private insurance for the whole family, and only pay about $30 a month. We get treated all respectable-like by the doctors we see, because they don't know that we don't pay full price. It's great! I wish all states had it.
I'm soooo moving there. This is exactly what I need. Michigan has something similar to this- you pay $5/month/family for healthcare. Sounds great, right? I was turned down and told I don't make enough. Shouldn't *I* be the one to decide whether I can afford that or not?? I KNOW I can't afford private insurance for my DS, let alone me, so we're stuck on Medicaid. And have been screwed time and time again by these people. They don't seem to give a darn either and everytime I call them they don't even have any flipping clue what they are talking about. I can get one answer from one person, call back, and get a completely different answer from another person : I'm hoping once child support starts (been waiting for 9 weeks now since we went to court but again, the state just gives me some lame answer about how it'll start someday and it'll cover the last 9 weeks when it does start. But noone can actually tell me WHEN it'll start. And they don't give a darn when I tell them I don't need the money *someday*. I need the money NOW) I can fudge my way into the $5/month program. Wow, what a tangent.

Back to the thread.....

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#28 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just so you understand, Village Mama, that the US Federal Poverty Level is not the same as the amount of money you need to earn in order to support a family. The poverty level was initially determined as a measure of what a family needed only for food! In 2003 the US Federal Poverty Level was $18,400 for a family of four. Keep in mind also that you in Canada get healthcare and we don't.

I found the figures on the US poverty level here:

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/03poverty.htm

Now, let me just say that where I live, in the N. East US, the cost of living is much higher than in the interior of the country.

I am going to be the wage-earner again, starting in two weeks. At least this time I won't have to pump breastmilk at my desk, my 18 month old is nursing less often these days.

It figures that various commentators in the media blame low wages on "women's lib." What a load of hooey.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#29 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 11:34 PM

I know poverty level doesn't take the cost of housing into consideration. I remember when dh was working, we spent 60% of our income on housing. Affordable housing is considered to be 30% of one's income. But we weren't considered "poor" because we made almost $20K a year and had no children (I was pg with #1).
#30 of 107 Old 08-10-2004, 11:48 PM

According to the poverty guidelines we are below poverty. Dh makes around 16,000 before taxes. Dh is even a manager at his job. I'm going to have to get a job in the next month. Dh is going to school full time and will very likely have to cut back a bit on his work load. We are very blessed that we have a great family support system that will be able to watch my children for little or nothing. And it's only temporary, dh will graduate in Dec.

Also, can somebody please explain to me how my dh can work 102 hours in 15 days and only 5 hours of it is overtime? I just don't get it! I think they are cheating us!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page