Yikes Mamas! DH's losing his job!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Help Mamas! DH and his team are going to be laid off 9/15!
I am so scared!
We don't have much $$ at all right now. What we do have is a big mortgage. I'm a SAHM. I have job opportunities but they're in another state. I'm not sure if we should move and I should work. I'd hate to be away from DS full-time. DH doesn't have any options right now. What are we going to do??? Can I live with you??

Anyone got any suggestions? How do you get thru this?
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all
I wonder if your opportunities could involve working part of the time out of the home. I don't really know the answer. Can you seel your house. Use your equity for a smaller one and still have some money left over? Just asking? Believe me I know that's not always an option. Only putting it out there. How do you and dh feel about Dh being a SAHD? Will dh be able to collect unemployment? I don't know if you or your hubby are college grads, but I just learn in the past 5 years that many universities provide career services/ job placement to their alumni as well.
Sometimes churches help families in crisis- is that an option for you?
Good luck and I'm sending you positive energy.
#3 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 11:40 AM

One of the first things to do is to look at your expenses (calmly) and see what you can cut back on starting now.
((hugs))
#4 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 11:55 AM

i have no suggestiojns, just

dh may lose his job due to health reasons soon, so i will be actively watching this thread.

hope your siotuation works out for you.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#5 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support and tips. I'm pretty overwhelmed. DH isn't the type to be a SAHD. He's hardly ready to watch DS for more than a few hours. I have a great babysitter who's pretty darn cheap, so if I found work, I could maybe still afford babysitting. I just hate to leave my DS
We're going to HAVE to sell our house. I guess that's ok. It's more house than we need and I never liked it too well. We are comfortable here, though, and this is the first home my DS's lived in so it will always be special to us. We have some equity and could probably find something cheaper to get us thru.
We will start cutting expenses this week. I'm ready to cut cable and the cell phone. I'd like to keep my gym membership and the DSL. I've got a truck I can sell and we could sell my car too.
I'm just so fearful. I know we'll never end up "on the street" but I'm still afraid of that. We've got lots of support. I'm just freaking out!! :
Please keep the suggestions coming. I need the help. Thanks!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#6 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 02:49 PM

Awww Mama - I just wanted to offer my support. I'm in the same boat - my DH came home early 3 months ago telling me he was laid off. It really really sucks, and like others have said, you just have to cut corners wherever you can. I hope your DH finds work soon. My DH is still looking - as am I - but the job market is awful right now.
Good luck!
#7 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 02:52 PM

i'm so sorry. DH and I have been there and it's rough..try to stay positive!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#8 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 03:16 PM

depending on your location dh may qualify for state-funded retraining and job placement asststance. also if he's a college grad have him check the job placement office of his old school.

it's a tough position to be in my dh was unemployed for over 2 years and I can't work due to disability. try to stay positive and don't be afraid to ask for or accept help.
#9 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 03:25 PM

Wish I could tell you it'll get better.Dh was laid off in jan.the week dd was born.He's been working constuction since then.Our incomes roughly half what it was when he was a techie,without benefits.I've cut expenses to the bone,Used the severance to pay off debts.Got the kids on medicaid,thats another story!Unemployment ends in two weeks and he's supposedly lining up enough work to go full time.I guess were both pretty stressed.I keep thinking maybe next year will be better
#10 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 07:19 PM

I've been there, done that, believe me. My DH has been unemployed several times in our 5 years of marriage.

I may sound like a broken record, but it did work for us... has your DH considered driving a truck? All you need is a license and a good record, and you can live practically anywhere. You can also get a job where he would be home each evening, with some experiance. The pay is great if you work for a smaller company, I have been cashing $500 to $800 checks each week.

I'm just suggesting because I know the thought of leaving your son is ripping your heart out.
#11 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

We haven't thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion. We're open to just about anything right now

#12 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 10:55 PM

I know how much that sucks. Just wanted to offer you a hug.
#13 of 15 Old 09-01-2004, 11:13 PM

s I'm sorry!! About 3 weeks after I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child I woke up to see my dh still home and he told me he showed up at work, got the slip and had been laid off. YIKES! It was the roughest year of our lives but we somehow managed, we are still in major debt because we relied too much on our credit cards to pay bills, the rent, etc. during that time but we survived.

Good luck, I hope it all works out soon.
#14 of 15 Old 09-02-2004, 12:13 AM

Aww, I'm sorry! We're going through that right now, dh was laid off 2 weeks ago and we were NOT prepared for it. We've moved into a less-expensive house and have cut back on pretty much all of our bills. In fact, that's what made me decide to cd (so if you can look on the bright side, there it is!). My dh drove a truck for a while but he drove for companies that had him gone for weeks at a time. He liked the solitude. But, there are a lot of places where a driver can make local deliveries and be home every night. And, it pays pretty well if you handle your money right!

It seems like to me, you really have your plan, but it's such a shock when you first find out. Start making changes now, the sooner, the better. Good luck!
#15 of 15 Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for writing. I'm just so overwhelmed. I know we'll get it together soon and form a concrete plan. I've already thought of several ways to cut expenses and sell some stuff off. Unemployment can help and if I find something too, I suppose we can swing it for awhile. Our biggest problem is our mortgage. I wish we didn't own this house! I'd be so much more relaxed. Anyone need a house in Ohio? We've got a hot tub

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page