Distance education? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, so I want to get into some credit classes to get my credits for my degree. What would be best is to do as much of it as possible via the internet and mail... aka distance education. What I need to find is a reputable source to start looking into. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know alot of people train at home, but I want to make sure I get a degree that is acredited and recognized. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#2 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing my grad work through Capella University...it's completely online and accredited... http://www.capella.edu .

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 01:16 PM

Just about every University and community college has distance education where you can take classes online. Check out your local state universities' websites and community college's website and look for the link for distance learning. Also, LSU (louisiana state u) has a distance learning program that is $200 per course and all the classes are correspondance (through the mail). You have 9 months to complete each class. The one thing about distance learning at universities is they tend to give you a little more work.
Here's a link from Oregon state's website for distance learning
http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/default.aspx

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#4 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm an Oregon State student and I do most of my courses online. The extra fees really suck but it's worth it to be able to stay home.
#5 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 04:41 PM

http://www.nudc.org/

there are distance education degree programs and classes from several state universitites. i found this site to be very helpful.
good luck!
#6 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 05:57 PM

I teach online college courses and have ever since my first was born and I gave up my full-time on campus position. I now teach for two different colleges, and I can tell you that distance learning has exploded in popularity. You will find very few colleges that don't offer dl courses now. And if the college is accredited, then the classes are going to be structured and monitored by the school in a way that doesn't jeopardize that rating. We have lots of very specific guidelines we have to follow in creating and offering the course. Be aware, that most online courses take a bit more time than on campus classes just because the student is having to do much more of the work on his/her own. I have always had about a 40-50% drop out rate, often because students think the classes will be easier than their on campus counterparts and they are sorely mistaken. But if you can make the time and are dedicated dl classes are great!
#7 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also, at my university the online classes are not listed any differently on the transcripts, just in case anyone is worried about what an employer will think.
#8 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the pointers I am going to be searching for a bit I think before I decide on where. Finding the right program is pretty important I think. Thanks again, and don't hesitate to share any other info you've got it.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#9 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 09:22 PM

You should totally work on finding the right program first. Also, do you have previous credits that you'd like to apply to this? Because if you do, you'll have to talk to the program to make sure that they accept what you already have.

Don't be afraid to ask for names/emails of students in their programs so that you can talk to them to make sure that this is the right fit for you. Education is pretty competitive right now, and you can and should shop around to get what you need.
#10 of 17 Old 09-01-2004, 09:36 PM

I took a distance class through the university of Iowa. It was just fine, and credited just like a regular class. I counted it as a prerequisite to my professional program with no problems.

Good luck!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#11 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM

That is a great choice. Distance learning has become an option for many students as it saves time and money. Also you can concentrate on the topic you need and it is convenient too. Even I am considering a distance learning for my son. He is interested in electrical works and he says he wants to do a distance education for home inspection courses California. I hope I could find the best for my son. And wishes to you too dear.

#12 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My mom did her Bachelor's degree online from Fort Hayes Uni.  It was originally set up for military personel and their spouses, due to moving around a lot, but it is open to anyone.  She loved the program.  I am doing my Master's online from Texas Women's University.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#13 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 PM

One of my degrees is from Western Governors University.  It's completely online and self-paced.  The university and program have the same accreditation as the in-state schools that I have also attended.  

http://www.wgu.edu/

Although I prefer my in-person classes at other universities, WGU was a great choice for me at the time and I'm very pleased.

#14 of 17 Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't think it's been mentioned but you might look into Washington State University's Global Campus also.  Online.wsu.edu is their site.  Several business bachelors plus a handful of others.  Fully accredited, has students around the world as well as the country and state.  Same price for tuition in-state and out-of-state.  Also has minors.  Recognized by US News: ranked #21 out of a pool of over 200 other universities for the online bachelors degrees and for the Online Masters of Business Administration program (7th) as of January this year.

Classes follow the regular campus' 16 week semesters and the degrees online are the SAME as the physical campus versions.  Classes are the same online as on-campus also just structured slightly differently to accommodate online learning (reading lectures or watching videos instead of sitting in class, etc.).  Lots of support from professors, TAs, academic advisers, and student services staff.  Also expanding options for social aspects of attending college.

AND your diploma will say "Washington State University"  without specifically mentioning the campus (same for all WSU campuses).

WSU has been doing distance bachelors programs for over a decade.  We know what we're doing and we're good at it!

Disclaimer: yes, I currently work for WSU Global Campus and Yes I attended and graduated form WSU.  On the other hand, these truly are quality programs and worth at least looking into.

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#15 of 17 Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I got my AA through my local community college.  I got the bulk of it online as they offered many online classes.  I was required to take like 20% of my classes on campus, though, but I just took those gradually and at convenient times.  It was much cheaper than online college.  When I got my AA, I transferred to Thomas Edison State College to get my BA- they didn't transfer my degree, but my credits so they took all the classes I had taken as credits against the BA.  Thomas Edison is online and accredited.  It is a distance program and takes regular financial aid.  I'm pretty happy there and about to finish my BA in a couple semesters. The semesters last 12 weeks (instead of 16) and there's a lot of writing.  I also have to pay out of state tuition since I do not live in NJ, but it was not that much more expensive than instate tuition at the Brick and Mortar college close to me.  Feel free to ask any more questions if you want to know more about TESC.  :)

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#16 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 PM

I also recently earned a Master's degree through Western Governor's University and would highly recommend them.  They are very reputable, the coursework is rigorous, yet the schedule is quite flexible and it's all fairly inexpensive.  They only offer degrees in 4 fields (business, IT, teaching, and nursing), but what they do offer is excellent.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#17 of 17 Old 04-05-2014, 03:40 PM

While I think Google is excellent in helping us choose and tailor our exact online educational requirements, these online degree courses can be very expensive, so caution is needed to first be very thorough and decisive in what you want before parting with any cash. I am not acquainted with distance education in the US, though do recommend your joining The Khan Academy which is absolutely first class. :)

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page