Vent about Wal-Mart - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I know. I used to just really dislike it. Now I hate the place. Apparently back in April, I had a check bounce there. Now, I know I should have caught it, but we were having all knids of bank issues then. My dh had direct deposit through his old job, and our old bank was sending the money back to the company instead of crediting our account. We were trying to track down all of our money and switch to a different bank, plus dh got his car stolen. I had 2 or 3 other checks bounce in the middle of it. All the other places, it was taken care of. I never got a letter or phone call or anything from Wal-Mart though. Well, when I was at the store the other night, dh calls and said the sherriff just came by looking for me. Wal-Mart reported it to the state. Now I've got to go to court next Friday. I tried to go by Wal-Mart, but they wouldn't take my money. Now I assume I'll get stuck with the court costs too. Plus what the heck am I supposed to do with ds while I'm there. DH will be at work and doesn't have any paid time off yet. If Wal-Mart had sent the check through a second time, like their legally allowed to, or if they'd take my money, we could all save ourselves a lot of hassle. It really pisses me off. It's not like I'm trying to get out of paying, I simply wasn't aware. This is too much stress over a $70 check, and now I'll have a criminal record. Why is it ever freaking time things are going good, it rains crap on my life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry about all that. Sure wish the world could be more gentle, generous, and understanding.
#3 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 05:22 PM

Janerose's husband here --

An amount so small is likely to be handled in your local small-claims court, so there likely won't be any court costs. I'd attempt to document your repayment efforts, it can't hurt.

IANAL, so YMMV.

(Don't know what abbreviations are common here, that's I Am Not A Lawyer, so Your Mileage May Vary).

You don't say where you are. You could also check with your local town/city clerk, see if your town/city attorney is willing to give you any pointers.

Good luck!

#4 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 05:24 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hate walmart too !! Uggh.
#5 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 05:31 PM

I am sorry they are making such a big deal out of nothing.
One of our local Wal-Marts employee's made fun of my grandfather when he got confused about something to do with his social security check.
There seems to be a bad vibe about that company.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#6 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 05:45 PM

We got banned from our local Wal-Mart because we raised a stink about two "greeters" stopping us at the exit after the security gate went off. I showed them my receipt, but they took it and walked away leaving us standing in the entrance. All the one woman said was "It's store policy, if you don't like it you can leave and never come back". Well, they STILL never explained what they were doing with MY receipt. We tried talking to the manager, but the clerk had the audacity to keep talking the whole time repeating that if we didn't like it we didn't have to shop there anymore. She even started talking to another store employee about us while we were standing right there. :

I am sorry you have to go through this. It is really dumb. Of course, they don't seem to do much with all the people that steal from them.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

:
#7 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 07:09 PM

Yet another reason NOT to shop at Wal-Mart.

Usually if it a smaller amount you can go through the attorney general's office avoiding court and paying there. I had my checkbook stolen, cancelled the account and missed out outstanding check of mine. It was almost $300 and I never had to go to court. I went downtown to the Check Writing Division and paid if off. Try to do that first.

Also document repayment efforts.

My other thought, having worked retail for years, is they should have a check verification program that prevents a check from bouncing. And if it does that program has to pay...Odd....Wal-Mart should definitely have something like this. And your check should have been refused at the time...

Anyway, I hope it works out!!!! WAL-MART SUCKS :LOL

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#8 of 8 Old 10-08-2004, 10:33 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes when I have gone into a Wal Mart early in the morning and they're having their sales meetings at the end of them they yell who is Number 1 and everyone yells the Customer. But, they act like you're Enemy Number 1!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page