this seriously happened.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am at my endocrinologist's office today discussing my thyroid. He is always for some strange reason intrigued by how many children we have and if we will be having more in the future. He is surprised to hear I am pregnant with our fourth. I laugh and make a joke about how I will soon have 2 babies and so on. He makes the routine "you do know how this is happening" comment, says "pay close attention", holds out two fingers spread apart, then crosses them, and laughs and says "close your legs." At this point I am visibily in awe, wondering to myself if he knows how much I could sue him for and questioning if he just stepped out of a time machine. I thought you would all enjoy this story. Needless to say I will be switching to my midwife and will make her my PCP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 07:59 AM

#3 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM

Um...

I don't even know what to say. The sheer rudeness and cluelessness is mindboggling.
#4 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 AM

I really wonder about some medical "professionals" and things they say that really cross the line. My cousin recently had a brain bleed stroke due to uncontrolled high blood pressure (he's only 41). In the course of it, he told his mother that his testicles really, really hurt. She asked me and I told her it very well could be because of the blood pressure, but he should mention it to his doctor at the next visit. He did and the doctor said, and I quote, "Oh, you just need to get laid!" and laughed hysterically. He never actually addressed my poor cousin's concern (which is not an issue any longer since his BP is now pretty well controlled and it appears that was in fact what was causing the pain).
#5 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would never see him again. Also, write a letter telling him why. Folks can't change if they don't have feedback.
#6 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 11:55 AM

I would deffinatley write a letter to him personally, to the patient services person, and the the head of the practice or the management group (if it's a big, multi specialty kind of place) That's crude and ignorant.
#7 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really wish I had when something like this happened to me two years ago. I went to my PCP for a kidney function test because my MW had asked for it as we're TTC. I made the mistake of telling the CPC why the MW wanted the test and the doc was like "Well can you even have children? I mean look at you, you're short, you have a short neck so obviously something's wrong with you, maybe you have triple X syndrome or something" I let him know I didnt appreciate his comments with my tone of voice when I politely asked him if he was trying to say I should not be having kids because of this, and he was like "oh no i wasnt saying that at all". If anyone's wondering, i'm 4feet nine inches. And I'd imagine that i have a short neck ...well because i'm short, and have fused cervical vertibrae, how i ask you would that affect my inteligence or ability/worthyness to have children. BTW I also have a two chromosome analysis on record (that he should have and you'd think he'd look at first before saying such mean things)that say I'm fine.
Triple X syndrom, from what I understand causes mental impairment, if I'm wrong please correct me. I almost told that stupid doc that he shouldnt be practicing if he doesnt know that, and I dont appreciate someone saying I *must* be intellectually impaired because I'm short.

I'm really sorry this got so long, it just really struck a cord with me. Thanks for posting this so I can rant too to you
#8 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 PM

Wow......you done gone and opened up the flood gates!

I went to an endocrinologist (what is it with them!?!?) for a gland problem I have about 5 months after I had my son....

She walks in (first time I've ever met her!) and starts poking on my belly....lifts my shirt a little and pulls down my pants a little to do the whole "Does it hurt when I push here? How about here? And here?"....she pauses, looks at my chart and (while my belly is still out) says:

"Wow. You're going to have to lose some weight! You're starting to look like a little pregnant elephant!"
:

At which point, she leans over, and rubs/jiggles my stomach!?!??!

You don't do this! In my own defense (which unfortunately I feel obligated to provide), I was 5'5" and about 150--which is NOT overweight to the point where she should have been concerned about my health, plus I was still shedding baby weight! AND I've been told by a few doctors that because my tummy was so stretched (9lb, 22in baby--one of the stretch marks even got so deep that it bled and scabbed), I'll always have that jiggle. In fact, it'd be WORSE if I lost weight, because there'd be more extra skin!

Okay, well, to the OP--please please please write a letter to this jerk! I obvioulsly found a new endocrinologist, but wish to this day (over 5 years later) that I would have told that b*tch off! She had no right saying something like that to someone. I don't care if I was 400 pounds, or in the OP's case if you had 10 kids!!!

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#9 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

oh my gosh, you all have worse stories than mine! How on earth do these lunatics pratice medicine? Ugh
#10 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Moving this to Talk Amongst Ourselves! ~ Adina

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#11 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Well, I have never had a medical professional make any rude comments but when my firstborn was 4 weeks old I took him to get professional pictures taken. The photograher had asked how old he was then looked at my belly and asked when are you due with your next? I looked at her incrediously (is that a word :LOL) and said I'm not pg, there is no possible way someone could be pg and showing 4 weeks after giving birth. and she said oh, well I guess some people have a harder time loosing the baby weight gain!! What really ticked me off was I was about 165 (I'm 5'5) and the photogropher had to be close to 250 and shorter than me!! That was over 10 years ago and I can still remember it. I wish I had wrote a letter to her supervisor.
#12 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Oh there are just no words!

Write that man a letter, tell him what an blankity blank blank he is and where he can put it.
#13 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:19 PM

It is just amazing what people will say.

I have some stories of my own.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#14 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 PM

what an @$$! : :Puke

You all must have WAY more self-control than I do. I'd probably clock him.
#15 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:22 PM

That's just so incredibly rude!!!
As you yourself wrote he must have been teletransported from a far away decade (not to say galaxy).

Well, all of you have had horrible encounters with health care professionals. What's wrong with those ppl?
#16 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:23 PM

If you have insurance, when you switch make sure you tell the insurance company why. IME they usually ask.
#17 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:29 PM

Your doctor's comments made me wonder if he was older and/or from another country. The oddest comments I've ever heard (none as bad as yours) were always from old doctors and doctors originally from other countries.
#18 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 04:46 PM

What a f***head! :

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#19 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The oddest comments I've ever heard (none as bad as yours) were always from old doctors and doctors originally from other countries.
Oh Yeah! This brought to mind the doctor my family used when I was growing up. I once went in for an ear infection, and he asked me if I was having sex. I was maybe 12, 13?

I told him no, and he told me that if I had sex with one boy, the word would get around, and he insinuated I would get a reputation and be at risk of being gang raped by the football team.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#20 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 05:16 PM

:
Why didn't you slap him? Seriously?
#21 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 05:26 PM

: :

What's wrong with people?
#22 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 06:38 PM

When I told my GYN/OB that I would like a natural birth, she said that if I pursued that, I would end up with a dead baby! I was speechless. Needless to say, I never went back. I was just shocked at her lack of openness, especially since she was a relatively young doctor and seemed so modern.
#23 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 PM

#24 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 06:51 PM

When I was pregnant with Ds I usually saw a midwife. But one day for one of my appointments the midwife had to be at the hospital delivering a baby so I had to see this one Dr. Now I was 39 weeks pregnant at the time and big enough to look like I was about to burst. He looked at me and looked at my chart and told me that I needed to stop eating at McDonald's because I had gained about a pound in the last week. I didn't even know what to say to him. I swam every day of my pregnancy and I didn't eat at McDonald's, I never eat there. Granted I did gain more than I should have and I ate larger portions than I needed to, but I ate healthy food. It made me so mad. I just left and never said anything. I was absolutely furious. :
#25 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 PM

Holy Crap! that is freakin unbelievable!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#26 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 07:53 PM

Is his name Dr. Phil by chance? :
#27 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 PM

#28 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sheesh I can't believe it! and they wonder why some people avoid doctors like the plague!

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#29 of 42 Old 10-13-2004, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a jerk! I am glad you are switching!

Desiree

#30 of 42 Old 10-15-2004, 12:32 PM

Hah, although obviously I appreaciate the complete and total inappropriateness of the doctor saying this to the OP, it reminds me of what my grandfather says when he's told he's going to have a new grandchild (which happens fairly frequently) "Blimey. have you worked out what's causing it yet?".

The thing that gets me about doctors, while I think most of them do sterling work, is that they don't really fully inform you. Nobody ever informed me that my cervical erosion which caused me to bleed after sex was because of the pill, they jsut said it happened sometimes and it would go away. I found that out for myself. They should stop thinking themselves so superior and let the rest of us in on what's happening to our bodies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page