I can't do 7th grade homework - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-28-2004, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mil called me to help her with my 13 year old bil's homework. Algebra no less. It just goes to show that for most people algebra is a totally useless skill because I have managed to go for 14 years without adding two negative numbers. Or subtracting them for that matter. I might have been able to figure it out if I could look at it, but on the phone there was no way. :

Apparently I need to study up if I'm serious about homeschooling
#2 of 6 Old 10-28-2004, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Radical unschoolers here I don't do algebra either. My son is slightly more into it though, and the hubby rather enjoys it. It's always been a so whatter to me. If the kid needs my help I go learn about it, other than that ... no thanks.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#3 of 6 Old 10-28-2004, 08:12 AM

Ds is taking algebra as well and I feel like a total dunce when he asks for help. And I used to be really good at math. I recall getting a 98% on the NYS regents exam in algebra and I got an A in calculus in college.

I'm homeschooling my two younger kids, but I'm not worried about teaching higher math yet. It's probably something that comes back to you quickly with a little exposure.
#4 of 6 Old 10-28-2004, 11:46 AM

I am so with you - I am 36 and taking Algebra 11 for the fifth time. I only need to get a C to get into Nursing School.

I write my first midterm tomorrow and I am seriously stressing about it.

#5 of 6 Old 10-28-2004, 11:52 AM

I hear you!

I helped my cousin a few years ago and just couldn't do 99% of it anymore!!

I will have to seriously study up before I get to that point with my girls in homeschooling!
#6 of 6 Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 PM

This should make you feel better. I was a math major (switched it to minor though). I have all the classes except 2 to have my minor complete. I was trying to help out my neice with her Algebra 2, and I couldn't. Of course, she had to solve the problems "their way and show her work." I couldn't figure out what the heck the teacher was doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page