Crack-addicted baby success story!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so, so happy this morning because of something I saw in the paper.

Our paper has a "New Voices" section with essays written teens and young college students on various issues. Today there was an essay written by a young man named Ronald who I knew as a kindergartener thirteen years ago. He's now a freshman in college.

He was the adoptive son of one of the teachers in the school where I did my student teaching. It was in a very poor, run-down neighborhood. He and his sister had been born addicted to crack. I remember his mother being terrified because she found out that the birth mother was out of prison and was trying to get her two-year-old daughter - Ronald's sister, although I don't know if they were biological siblings - back. I remember being outraged, because Ronald and his sister had two loving parents, one a teacher and one a taxi driver, who were giving them a wonderful home. Ronald was one of the smartest kids in the class, I remember. It was so clear that his home environment was so much better than many of the other children in the school.

Well, now he's in college and his writing was published in the newspaper!!! Wow. I can't really explain why this makes me feels so good - I was not his teacher, just a student teacher, so I had little influence on him, but it is just great to see something like that. This is the second time a former student has shown up in this section of the paper, but the first time it wasn't a disadvantaged child, so this has more of an impact!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 06:21 PM

Wow how wonderful. Our lives really are in our hands in so many ways. It is possible to come from a bad place and make the committment to better yourself. With the right support and motivation it is possible!

Great story. I wish more of our news focused on success stories instead of all the horrible things in the world.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 PM

That is wonderful!!

User Tag List