Here it is..The Holiday Needy Mom & Helper Thread!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Needy Mommies and Giver Mommies Holiday thread!

Well, we’re back! Gemini and I are once again heading up the Holiday Thread for Needy Moms and Helper Moms.

Last year it started in a very grass roots manner and frankly this year it will continue to be grass roots-y but basically here is the background.

I started a thread called Christmas Poor. I meant the word Poor to be interpreted as a verb not a Noun..meaning if you are financially poor for Christmas I wanted to help. It then turned into many, many, many wonderful moms here who helped. We ended up with around 35 needy moms and way more Helper moms. The thread generated a lot of wonderful happy holidays.

So, here is how it works..again think grassroots….

I am in charge of Gift Certificates and Gemini is in charge of Gently Used Items.

Moms who are in Need… here is the deal you need to have been a member of the MDC community since before October 1st. That is our only requirement.

You should PM me your name and address and your preferred choice in gift certificates. Last year many people chose Target/Walmart/Amazon but again it was sort of adhoc the way every thing happened last year..... so if you would prefer other stores..don’t hesitate to suggest them, I just request that you make sure there is a grocery store also in your preferences and please, please, please include the hyper link to the stores of your choice when you PM me.

It would also be nice if you could include a little note about your situation that I can forward to your Helper mom. You do not need to write a long story but a number of people asked for a little background last year and I was kind of stuck a lot of the times.

Gemini needs to know the ages and sizes of your children because she will organize the gently used items.

Helper Moms…. PM me if you would like to help. I will PM you a Needy Mom and her Gift Certificate choices.

Or if you want to be a helper Mom but want to help by sending gently used items then you should PM Gemini, she’ll be heading that up.

Helper moms can include their names in their gift certificates or their boxes of gently used items…but basically Gemini and I handle this anonymously and leave it up to the helper moms to break the anonymity.

Some needy moms thanked those helpers personally or they went through me and I posted them.

Anyway.. here is last year’s thread for those who didn’t know about it….

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=100638

Here is a taste of some of the feedback…(around page 17)

I have already gotten a very generous Walmart gc. You guys are so absolutely amazing. An absolute inspiration. An absolute inspiration.
My dh, who is kind of an eternal pessimist, almost fellover. He could not understand wy people that did not know us were helping.
Then when we got the second one, he was flooder and said, "damn, i guess the whole world is not going to hell in a hand basket".
ANyway, you guys are truely amazing people. Thank you so much, and as soon as we are on our feet, I am going to recipricate the generosity to others

I thank you so very much for organizing this. We recieved two gift certificates yesterday, and I wanted to pm you so you could post some words on the thread anonymously. Words cannot express what your kindness means to us, and the difference you have made. As I went to bed last night I was busy praying, thanking God for friends who have never seen my face. I am so very grateful to my helper mommys, and thankful to be a part of such a wonderful community

I just wanted to say a BIG, deep THANKYOU to you and everyone who opened their hearts to those of us who are struggling. this has definitely overwhelmed me and inspired me to get myself into a position to be able to help out next year, even tho it may not be monetarily..

I got our first gift in the mail today (an adorable bear- jack in the box and 2 gcs for food and toys), and it totally made my day =) and touched me deeply! i am very inspired and grateful to EVERYONE! and mdc is amazing. such caring people here! lots of love and hugs to you..

I am in tears as I am writing this. I cannot thank you enough and all the wonderful giving people at MDC. The help our family has gotten from the members makes the difference between being able to have a Christmas and not. My words are not sufficient to express my gratitude. Blessings-

By the way.. I hope some of you moms who were in need last year who are in need this year should not be embarrassed to ask for help again. Don't think about it twice..please....

This is a gift to all of us... I promise.

We will probably end this thread around December 8th...

That gives us about 2 weeks....

As they say in Nascar & Formula One and Indy... and I'll paraphrase... Mommies, start your engines..vrroooooommm

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 PM

Yay! I LOVED being a helper Mama last year and have been looking forward to helping again this year! Thanks Tracy and Gemini for reviving the MDC love!

And in advance of all your hard work - you guys rock!
#3 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 PM

Thank you ladies so much for doing this again! YOU ROCK!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#4 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I almost forgot....

Helper Moms please don't hesitate to post on this thread that your in... I know some of you kept it totally anonymous to even your cyber buddies here..but really sometimes seeing a cyber friend participating will inspire others...you really have no idea how many fans you guys have..but I know that some of you last year helped because you saw some others who you love and respect helping...

and please, please, please spread the word. I remember some of you posted in the diapering thread which was so helpful.. I don't have diapers in my life so I don't hang in that forum..

oh, and please someone, please let some of the single moms know about this thread.... I think some missed out because they don't go to TAO.

thanks

#5 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 10:57 PM

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#6 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 PM

#7 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 PM

Hooray! I'm truly excited about this...thank you so much for doing all this work, Tracy and Gemini! We'll do our part, for sure.
#8 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

gosh, here I am again..sorry...but I just need to remind everyone.. that there is never the entire burden of giving ever put on one mommie. I always put more than one giver mommy on each needy mommy.

#9 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:20 PM

I am in...the spirit of the holidays is alive and well, right here

I want to help both ways!!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#10 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:22 PM

#11 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 PM

Thank you again, Gem and Tracy!!
#12 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:34 PM

You guys are awesome!
#13 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

I posted this on page 4 of this thread but it occurred to me that I should update page 1... especially if some of you are just here now for the first time...

here is the update:

Okay....................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now at 41 needy moms.

I wanted to give you guys a little bit of info on some of the situations. I will edit this so I can protect anonymity (gee that does not look like the right spelling..) but I guess I want to put a face to the needy moms..

Note that these stories are longer than my snippets...but I wanted to give you an idea of some of the situations:

I am a single mom to 5 children, not yet divorced, but getting minimal (and not regular) support for the children. I feeling somewhat embarassed to be asking for help again. I was completely astonished with the help I received last year, and if you don't remember, I had asked after the deadline. The help I received was amazing. I am hoping to create a nice Christmas for the kids, as things have been so rocky this past year.

I live in a rural area with my 5 month old son and Dh. My hubby got laid off 2 weeks after I had the baby. He's been able to get a few odd jobs here and there but nothing stable. He's now going through a 6 week CDL course and not working. I stay at home with my son and watch a friend’s child a couple days a week. We've sacrificed just about ever expense we can... no cable, lowering thermostat, got WIC, no health insurance (baby has through state program), no organic, dial-up Internet, no buying clothes just hand-me-downs, using cloth diaps (all given to us by generous friends) and BFing.I've been trying to make gifts for Christmas so at least we can still have something to look forward to.

I am a single mama and the company I'd worked for for almost 2 years had major budget issues and laid off half the staff in one swoop, I survived but they cut my hours to 15 a week. I found another job that would pay a lot more and left my old job (my position was eliminated when I left so I had nothing to go back to) the new job fell through at the last minute and I've now been unemployed for 3 months. The only thing that kept us afloat is the fact I decided to go back to college full time a few months ago and was able to take out school loans. With the last of the money I got dd clothes and a couple xmas presents so where good there but its the day to day stuff we need help with. We have the usual stores around and I would benefit by any GCs from

Every penny now has to go into a fund for fixing the car. DH and I can't count on his family for groceries so I eat top ramen most of the time, and he skips 2 out of three meals a day while he is at work. We are on WIC right now, but it only goes so far. We don't qualify for food stamps... Any help with toys/diapers/clothes/food/anything would be greatly appriciated.GC for stores within walking distance-

Really, we don't have money. Not for anything. Like, if we don't get invited to eat at MIL's once a week or so, we run out of grocery money and actually don't eat a couple meals until a payday. Like our car, that DH has at work right now, smells of gasoline inside the passenger compartment, and we can't bring it in to get it fixed, because we wouldn't even be able to pay for the appraisal. I have two kids, a DD who is 4-going-on-5 and wears size 6 clothing, and a DD who is almost-3 and wears size 5. A third is due at the end of December.We have taken great pains to insure that the kids have what they need and we've even managed to enforce a mostly plastic-free toy policy. We're short on many 'basics', things like laundry detergent and toilet paper - exacerbated by the fact that I rash up on contact to many of the cheap brands of soaps and detergents, so we can't buy things like Ajax and Sun. I'd appreciate a GC from some place that sells a decent variety of these types of things, like Target, Walmart or anything of the like

Thanks so much for this opportunity. I am in need of some small help for Christmas. My son is 2 years old and my husband left me this past summer. He has not been paying child support like promised so I had to borrow money to file for divorce. This means I'm so much in the hole that I cannot afford to buy my son anything for Christmas. Now I'm not in need of much don't get me wrong. I do have family who will give him gifts but it would be nice if I could somehow buy him something just from me so I'd be eternally greatful for a small gift certificate. Target would be great….

Can I first just say how awesome you,Gemini,and all the helper moms are!!! Last year my DH was laid off right before Thanksgiving and you all helped make Christmas possible at our house and I never thought I would be asking for help again this year. DH has been very sick this year due to his Multiple Sclerosis and has not been able to find a job. He applied for SSDI but was denied so now we need to appeal. I am working at McDonald’s as a shift manager but that’s barely paying the bills. I have two young daughters and any help we can get will be so appreciated…

My daughter's birthday is at the end of November and I do my best to make that special for her. That's a challenge as it is, but no matter how minimal I keep Birthday spending once Christmas comes around I am barely recovering. Once again, thanks for orchestrating this. I value this so much. Multiple times throughout the year my dd and I organize donation drives the battered women's shelter that I went to with my daughter when she was an infant when I left her father. We call a bunch of friends and neighbors and throw in our own clothes, toys and household stuff with everything they donate. I've shown up there with an entire van stuffed full of stuff. So anything that's donated to me is passed on to those more in need.

This is just a snippet..... We have 41 needy mommies right now. Every little bit as you can tell helps... Just so you know some helper mommies have asked family members to help out also.. here is what I learned from last year.. we MDC are very loved because last year some helper mommies asked their sisters and mothers to forgoe gift giving with each other and instead they all took on the needy moms here..
I even had single girlfriends of mine want to help... One mommy's floor is another mommy's ceiling.. As you can see a $20.00 gift certificate to Whole Foods or Target or similiar will go a long way for some our mommies...

Please if you can help.. PM me...You will be loved all over by me, gemini and by your needy mom!

hugs---spread the word....

#14 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:45 PM

first a question - what if you dont know if you have anything gently used that someone wants? i got four closets of stuff to get rid of but that doesn't guarantee that anyone here wants it : )

for anyone who feels a bit odd about this - i have to say i use it as a parenting moment too. an example to my dd that not everyone has everything and to show consideration to others

which isn't to say this is just a heartless endeavor for me and i hope it didnt sound like that. for me, i enjoy giving and i enjoy it even MORE when i can picture the family. if i know you have a 4 yr old dd i can picture that and i can picture the squeals that kids make. we do other donation things, but i personally like this one best
#15 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:48 PM

I'm in! I'm irregular about reading here and didn't see last year's thread until after the holidays, but it was so amazing reading the beautiful stories of mom's who had a good Christmas all due to MDC moms. Totally awsome!

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#16 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 PM

Yes...Tracy, Gemini: THANK YOU BOTH!

Last year's thread made me cry several times...we are a wonderful community people. I am proud to consider myself one of you! Am pm'ing right now...

Allison
#17 of 1073 Old 11-23-2004, 11:54 PM

Just to let all you lovely ladies donating gently used clothes, toys and books and what not, please know I will not be sending an address to you until I have the complete needy list in front of me.

For those of you that have lots of things, just let me know what size, gender, and season of clothes you have to donate so I can make matches with our needy familes.

And please pm me this info, don't list it on this thread.

#18 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 AM

thank you for doing this!
#19 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:11 AM

You amaze me.
#20 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:19 AM

I'm in! I'll go look through my son's things before PMing, since I don't remember which sizes are for which season.

Thank you for doing this again, Tracy and Gemini! You two are awesome!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#21 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:26 AM

Wow! I wasn't a member of this community last year and this is the first I am reading about this. I think it is an incredible thing you ladies are doing and I would be honored to participate! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be a helper mom...Tina
#22 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:26 AM

tracy, i'm in again. just let me know what you might need and thank you and gemini so much for all the work you're going to put into this!
love,
susan
#23 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:27 AM

Pm Tracy with how much you'd be willing to give for a GC.
#24 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
#25 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 12:54 AM

Bumpity, bump, bump
#26 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 01:08 AM

This is so awesome! I was a member here lastyear but some how this thread slipped past me. The mama's here just rock!

I feel the holiday love.

Bless you all!
#27 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 01:18 AM

I'd love to be a helper mom. Tracy, you're PM box is full. I'll keep trying to get you the amt of GC I can offer.
#28 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 01:40 AM

hey tracy and gemini - thanks for doing this again this year!

i'm in again this year......i'd like to donate new toys from my shop, who do i contact???
#29 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 01:45 AM

I have been hoping somebody would do this. DH and I have a few charities that we give donations to, but it feels so much better to know that you're actually helping a family you "know", even if you've never seen their face!

...thanks so much Tracy and Gemini. I will be PMing asap!
#30 of 1073 Old 11-24-2004, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

I will try to unload PM box...doing it in between dishes....

also, I don't need to know the amounts anyone is giving.. I never ask. if you share I will take it into account but I don't ask.

tracy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page