what's your fave online digital photo printing place? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-01-2004, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas!

I am a happy newbie with a digital camera, and realize I need to get the pix off my computer and onto paper, in a photo album!

Does anyone have a fave online place where I can upload digital images and order regular 4x6 prints? Any hated online places? It seems like these places are a wee bit sneaky...I got some photos from a friend on Kodak paper, but it was flimsy paper...and I see at Snapfish I can pay extra for Kodak Royal paper......hmmmmmmmmm.

Snapfish, Shutterfly, York, etc.......there are so many to choose from.....

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 AM

I'm happy with shutterfly, though I've never tried another place. For sharing pics online, it's fairly easy and less annoying for people to use. For printing, they use good quality paper (not flimsy) and now they offer matte as well as glossy. I got a package where I paid one huge amount and have 400 prints to use any time with just the cost of shipping. I think that way the price was just $.20 a print.

hth

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#3 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 12:31 AM

www.ofoto.com it's a kodak company great prints.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 01:09 AM

I second ofoto.com I just got a bunch of pics back from them and you can't tell they weren't film. Also they send out coupons if you've been inactive for a while. When I ordered my pics I had a 40% off coupon.
#5 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 01:53 AM

I third the vote for Ofoto. Every month or 2 they have a good sale, and you can share online albums really easily. Love 'em!

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#6 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 02:08 AM

I know I can order through Picturetrail, but I have never done it. I'll lurk here and see if anyone else has used them.

banana.gif

#7 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 02:41 AM

I buy a ton of prepaids from www.shutterfly.com

They come quick, are easy to use and have no problems with em

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#8 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 02:55 AM

I use clarkphoto.com I use them for my real film photos as well as my digital prints. The only trouble I've ever had with digitals is a few large reprints that were not the same tint as the original prints were. Otherwise, I'm very happy with their work.
#9 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 AM

OFOTO has by far the nicest prints, but they are also the most expensive.

I have tried MANY online printing stores. Here they are in order of quality:

1 OFOTO
2. Shutterfly
2 1/5. ClubPhoto
3. Dotphoto
3 1/5. Snapfish

Dotphoto, ClubPhoto and Snapfish are pretty cheap (price per print averages about 17 cents).
Clubphoto prints used to be just a little less pretty then Shutterfly, but now I have heard they have really improved (they even offer matter prints).
I am waiting for some prints I made with Clubphoto and I will know for sure if they are better now or not.

Snapfish prints really suck - they don't look at all like film.
#10 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 03:48 AM

a fifth for Ofoto.

I am a little OCD about this stuff, and I researched the heck out of it and I didnt' find Ofoto to be significantly more expensive......there were a few other place MORE expensive. Overall, for what you get, the quality of the pics, and the SPEED at which you get them, I feel like Ofoto is the best deal. Also, I get email coupons from Ofoto about once a month for all sorts of good deals and free prints and whatnot.

And, you have the option to share your albums WITHOUT people having to register I really liked.
#11 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 04:45 AM

I really like Shutterfly a lot. The quality is great, they're fast (I had pictures within 2 days - in Alaska, where mail takes a little bit longer), and hassle free. I've also used Wal Mart, and they're really cheap, but the quality is horrible. I've never ordered from Ofoto, so I don't know how the quality is, but it seems to me like their site is down a lot.
#12 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 05:01 AM

Okay, this sounds really bad but if you go to each site you will get free prints for signing up at each one (for free).

Other than that, I've ordered through PictureTrail.com and ImageStation.com and both have been very reasonable (especially when they have a deal going on), high quality, and fast on shipping.
#13 of 21 Old 12-03-2004, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

wow! I knew my mdc mamas would have the 411.

Does anybody know about shipping costs for some of these places? I checked out my local Proex/Ritz Camera place where I drop off regular film, and their URL was saying that I could avoid per photo shipping fees if I ordered my digital prints online and picked them up.

They asserted that Snapfish and others charge 10 cents per photo for S&H added to the 19 cent per photo processing fee, resulting in a 29 cent photo.....and Proex/Ritz says their photos cost 27 cents w/ high-quality paper, and no S&H fee.

I have tried to look at shipping fees at few of these sites, but they're all "SIGN UP NOW and click continue!" so I hope someone has some info.
#14 of 21 Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 PM

did you know that you can upload digital photos to walmart.com and pick them up at ypur local store? Even one hour service! That is how I order mine b/c there are no shipping charges and almost no waiting.
#15 of 21 Old 12-03-2004, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom
www.ofoto.com it's a kodak company great prints.

I use Ofoto, very nice quality with good prices. Extremely fast shipping.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#16 of 21 Old 12-03-2004, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyshoes

I have tried to look at shipping fees at few of these sites, but they're all "SIGN UP NOW and click continue!" so I hope someone has some info.
I don't know exactly what Ofoto's shipping cost is, but I know that I've never been shocked at the cost of it. Very reasonable IMO.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#17 of 21 Old 12-04-2004, 11:02 AM

It's not online, but my local Fred Meyer (a combo grocery/department store) and Walgreens Drugstore both have photo kiosks. You just insert your memory card into the kiosk thingy, select the photos and sizes you want, they print right there in the photo department and away you go. You can also get a CD made of the prints. Pretty slick and generally fairly cheap-o.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#18 of 21 Old 12-04-2004, 11:24 AM

Oh those kiosks sound neat!

#19 of 21 Old 12-04-2004, 11:32 AM

All of the drugstores around here have those kiosks. They work really well and are really cheap. Some of the drugstores are even starting to let you submit your pics on line and then pick them up at the local store. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm planning on it.

If you want to try ofoto, www.dealcatcher.com has 20% off coupon.

Has anyone tried Photoworks? They seem to have the least expensive holiday cards, and they're having a free shipping promotion right now. I'm seriously tempted, but I don't know anything about the quality or customer service.
#20 of 21 Old 12-04-2004, 11:34 AM

:
Curious in this myself. Just got a digital camera and wonder the same.
#21 of 21 Old 12-04-2004, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

For Xmas cards, birth announcements, I've liked using cardstore.com (& the Martha Stewart marthascards.com powered by cardstore.com) but Katie Bugs Mama, I just checked out Photoworks.com and it looks awesome...but expensive.

Cardstore.com can store all your addresses, addresses the envelopes for you, stamps them w/ a real stamp, mails them out on the day you want, lots of cool features, time-saving features!

Thanks for the link to dealcatcher.com! That is cool.

I think I'll try a few of the top-rated suggestions, and then decide what is the best deal for the long run...I tend to be so 'all or nothing' when I make choices, like, I HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE SERVICE AND BE FOREVER LOYAL. I'm wierd like that sometimes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page