Anonymous Confession Poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do floss your teeth?
I floss 3 or more times per day 2 1.60%
I floss 2 times per day 1 0.80%
I floss at least once a day 25 20.00%
I floss at least once a week 19 15.20%
I floss infrequently, when I remember to 60 48.00%
I never floss my teeth 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, we all know we're supposed to every day, but how often (if at all) do you really floss your teeth?

: I'm really bad about this, and I especially need the flossing - my gums are receding so badly that my dentist is already considering grafts.

Honestly, most days I feel fortunate if my teeth get brushed. :

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 AM

I floss when I can feel something stuck in there, or about once a week.

Well maybe like once a month. :

(eta: I do see my dentist every 6 months, and I haven't had a cavity in many years, and my gums are in good shape.)
#3 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM

I'm with you Becki! ....... :

#4 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 11:55 AM

I floss when I need to get something from between my teeth ( I'll second the lucky to get a brushing in ) :

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#5 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 11:58 AM

I said never. Because I don't think it counts if you only do it two times a year. : I never remember, and frankly, I don't really like flossing. It feels funny, and I feel stupid looking at myself do this in the mirror.
#6 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 12:13 PM

I voted infrequently. I know I should, but I really don't want to take the time to do it. It's a hassle when I want to go to bed! :

I do brush morning and night.........my teeth are healthy

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#7 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never floss - my teeth are extremely close together and getting even the slipperiest floss thru there cuts my gums every time.

However, I do use a WaterPik EVERY day & my gums are all healthy. It absolutely amazes me how much gunk come out of there with that thing! My DH had bad gum disease & is diabetic (which makes it harder to heal). He started using the waterpik about 2 years ago & had his teeth scaled last year and now he's gone from about 50 bad pockets to less than 6. We use about a 60/40 water to mouthwash solution.

I heartily recommend a WaterPik if you won't / can't floss. It feels soooo good!
#8 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 12:38 PM

Bippity- What kind of WaterPik do you use? Something like this? I'd like to try it based on your endorsement (and my super-close teeth ) but I have no idea which one...
#9 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I said never. Because I don't think it counts if you only do it two times a year. I never remember, and frankly, I don't really like flossing. It feels funny, and I feel stupid looking at myself do this in the mirror.
Ditto. I voted never. My hygenist berates me when I tell her that, but my teeth ARE healthy and my gums do not appear to be receding. I use floss or the plasitc picks the dentist gave me only if something is stuck in there or if by some miracle I think of it.

I also use an electric toothbrush, per their suggestion, which does fairly well at get in between my teeth.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#10 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 PM

I floss my teeth once a day, its a pain in the butt but my gums feel so much better and my checkups are way better too when I do it regularly.

My dentist noticed that I had a receding lower gum line when I was in junior high and I had to have gum grafts. I would say it hurt about as much as having wisdom teeth removed if that helps. Its been awhile, but I seem to remember about a month where I could only eat liquid/pureed foods while it healed (it had a "gum pack" over it to protect it) and I lost several pounds (but gained em back when I healed heh heh). I'm glad I had it done, it saved my gums, but if flossing keeps you from getting a graft, please do it!
#11 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 PM

My dentist says, "Only floss the teeth you want to keep." :LOL I floss most days and really notice it feels cleaner. Also, the connection between gum bacteria and heart disease (and the fact that I'm pregnant, and the connection between gum disease and preterm labor) motivates me.

My dh never used to floss....and is paying for it now. He does floss now regularly but he has deep pockets that require anesthesia to get cleaned out. Ouch!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#12 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 02:35 PM

There's a comedian on Comedy Central - Mitch Hedburg - who joked "People who smoke say 'no one understands how hard it is to quit smoking!'. Well, I think quitting smoking, is about as difficult as starting flossing."

:LOL

I'll floss for a few days and be all proud of myself, then I fall of the wagon for another several months. I have tight teeth and I can't even get the floss in between without cutting my gums up. (TMI - sorry)
#13 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 03:04 PM

Every day, at least once a day. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night just to floss because I have forgotten to do it.

I have had dental problems, so I do whatever I Can to avoid anymore.

I'm also very strict with my kids when it comes to flossing and teeth brushing.. They love it, so it's not a problem. My youngest is almost 2, and he actually gets excited and opens wide when I pull the floss out, lol
#14 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I used to be horrible at flossing, and got scolded by the dentist every 9 months, but now that I don't have coverage and can't afford a dentist, I've started flossing almost every night and using mouth wash afterwards. I HATE flossing, though.

I've been hearing a lot in the media the last little while that using mouth wash is JUST as good (if not, better) as flossing.
#15 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 04:02 PM

I got my 3.5 yo to floss using the "Hummingbird" flosser! Its small and cute and very easy to use. I still have to supervise her of course,but I'm just ecstatic that she flosses!
#16 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 04:45 PM

I was just looking at my teeth the other day and noticing that I had some discoloration between my teeth. I had used whitestrips a while back and did notice that my teeth seemed whiter, but they didn't affect the in-between surfaces. I don't drink coffee or tea, but I was thinking to myself that I'm the only person I know who flosses EVERY time I brush my teeth.

I voted for once a day, but sometimes, it's more like 3-4 times a day. Just depends on how often my teeth are brushed that day.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#17 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 04:56 PM

I have a flossing/dental hygiene obsession. I love it. People think I am weird. What else is new?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#18 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 05:08 PM

I voted that I floss everyday, and mostly I do, but of course sometimes I forget or am just too tired. I try to do everything I can to keep my teeth and gums healthy b/c we don't have dental insurance so I can't afford cleanings every 6 months. Hopefully dh will be getting a job w/benefits soon and that will change. Poor dh is in much worse shape than I am, but he rarely even brushes his teeth before bed and never flosses, no matter how much I harp on him about it. I really dread it when we do get insurance and he makes his first visit.
#19 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 PM

The feel of floss to me is like fingernails on a chalkboard
#20 of 21 Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 PM

I like this thread. I hate flossing, but I'm thinking about a rotation schedule. Like only the top or only the bottom each night. Maybe even just a quadrant a night. I figure some is better than none.

I read somewhere that the health of your teeth is related to the strains of bacteria in your mouth. So if you have weak bacteria, you can have great teeth, even if you don't take care of them. But if you have *strong* bacteria, than they'll rot your teeth and so you need to take extra precautions. Apparently children develop the mothers' strain of bacteria, probably from all the contact they have. My own mother is known to have "bad teeth" and mine aren't so good. So I figure I got her "bad bacteria." I'm trying NOT to pass these on to DC, but she likes to "share" so much!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#21 of 21 Old 12-03-2004, 07:11 AM

Once a day. I think that is fine.

My mum would kill me if I didnt floss and she found out. She spend thousands of dollars on our teeth from the time I was 4. Not taking care of my teeth now would be a slap in the face IMO.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page