Does anybody send christmas cards anymore? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 46 Old 12-05-2004, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. I've been doing the photo cards for the past year or two. I can't resist them. So, I send to about 30 people. But I don't get as many. I remember being a kid and we got TONS of Christmas cards each year. I LOVED getting them then, and I still like getting them AND sending them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 12-05-2004, 11:24 PM

Oh, we could start a whole thread, I'm sure, about the photo copied letter. I have a friend whose mother collects them when she's gotten them over the years. I think that they are really, really funny.

I have old neighbor who sends one of these along with their card. The second paragraph of the letter started with, "My brother, X, had a malignant brain tumor" and then went into pretty specific details of his surgery and treatment. Of course, I felt terrible for the man, but c'mon now, this is not pleasant, holiday news, is it?
#33 of 46 Old 12-05-2004, 11:59 PM

We sent out 10 handmade cards this year, but only to the most important family and friends. We couldnt afford more stamps. We even made our own envelopes. We go to the photo shop every year and bring a favourite photo of the kids. We get them to make us a sheet of wallet sized ones. I then buy a large sheet of handmade paper. I use the paper as the base of the card, frame the little picture on the front of the card, make my own little corners. I glue pressed flowers on if it fits the theme, or just slip a pressed flower inside. I tie the card up with a piece of raffia. For 10$ I have beautiful cards for the family.

:
#34 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 01:52 AM

We send out about 30-40 mostly to family with pictures, we get almost that many back.
#35 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 01:21 PM

Because of this thread and the guilt I felt because of it (:LOL) I got my act together and got Christmas cards done over the weekend. I feel so accomplished
#36 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

I wish more people would find alternatives to xmas card mass mailings. Xmas cards are very hard on the environment and not necessary . Email your holiday greetings, with or without photos and tread more gently on this earth, plelase!
#37 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I hear ya on the environment Purplebasil...but I really think Christmas is the one time of year (and maybe birthdays) that the old fashioned card is well recieved. Ecards are so impersonal. I hate them. I, like alot of other mamas, like to see a real signature and have something to hang on the wall with all the others. especially with kids in the house...the more cheer the better!

I also cannot stand the "family newsletter".

Funny story about that...My dad, who lives in another state and I never grew up with and never hardly see, sends us a "family" newsletter and includes details about everyone except me! And I am his daughter! I thought it was funny he thought to send me one but not include anything about me...and I had just had a baby too!

I decided I am going to get dd's Santa pic and then put one in each card.
I like to write a personal note that pertains to each person as well....

Thanks for the inspiration ladies!
#38 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 05:08 PM

I agree that Christmas cards are the one nice tradition that I ignore the earth over. I figure that my refusal to murder a tree and bring it into the house makes up for the few cards I send out. Besides, cards rarely get tossed into the trash. I've saved every Christmas card I've gotten, and will probably figure out something nifty to do with them one of these days. For people that don't like to packrat, you could cut off the front and donate them to a school (we used to make decorations out of them or use them for crafts). For crafty people, you could turn them into pulp and make paper for next year's cards.

I love getting cards, instead of emails, because I can at least display them with my Christmas stuff. And I don't mind the generic family letter, either. True, they sometimes come off as a giant brag. And depending on who sent it, that can be a little annoying (especially if you've heard the same brags from them all year long...I won't get into that). But for those friends and relatives that I don't get to see often, it's nice to get an update.

Quote:
Funny story about that...My dad, who lives in another state and I never grew up with and never hardly see, sends us a "family" newsletter and includes details about everyone except me! And I am his daughter! I thought it was funny he thought to send me one but not include anything about me...and I had just had a baby too!
Just a thought, maybe he modified the family letter for the people he wrote about? I know that I'd feel silly sending a letter to my parents, about them. I'd probably delete their paragraph and print out a seperate one for them, making it a little more personal. Heck, I don't even receive the family letter that my parents send out. I guess they figure that if you hear it all in person, you don't need the updates in writing.
#39 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 PM

I love sending & getting cards.
I try to get them out each yr & we buy recycled cards.
Time is always an issue tho'

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#40 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 06:44 PM

I'm a weirdo on this topic, I don't like getting holiday cards!... any cards we receive are from relatives who never call or write, even though years ago I would write them, ask about them, etc... with nothing in return so their sending holiday cards just seems false. To me, the ones who send us cards are only doing it to feel better about themselves for having a long list (whatever!), and they are usually the photocopied brag letters, no inquiry of how our family is doing, just going on & on about how busy they are, etc. If we sent cards, the list would only contain those who we always end up visiting during the holidays anyway.
I do send birthday cards/gifts/flowers though. & we bake cookies along with a little note for about ten of our neighbor families each year - our neighbors are very great people.

btw (& off-topic!)
~ not sure if this helps at all, but I used to hate the idea of murdering christmas trees also, but since, I've researched alot & the trees that are cut for holidays generally come from tree farms. The farms ensure employment for a number of people, the trees are farmed - meaning thart for each tree cut, more are planted so it's not like we're clearing out forests to gain holiday trees - also after you're finished celebrating with the tree, they can be chipped & used for mulch, thrown into a lake for fish habitat, & they biodegrade if chopped & thrown in the trash. The one thing that still bugs me though is the pollution made during transportation of the trees (huge trucks).
Well, also that some of the trees never even get to BE a holiday tree, if nobody buys him/her. Oh & one more thing, we searched & searched for a pine tree with a rootball that we could plant after it's holiday show, but we live in the tropics & none would survive the hot summers, sadly, as a real-living tree would be our first choice.

So, if you want a real tree - enjoy one without guilt! Even environmental org's have okay'd having real trees over the artificial ones b'c of their biodegradability (have no idea if thats a word, but it works ). Whereas artificials don't break down, can't be used in lakes by fish & are full of offgassing chemicals that can harm your faimily.

Alright - back to cards now!

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#41 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~
Just a thought, maybe he modified the family letter for the people he wrote about? I know that I'd feel silly sending a letter to my parents, about them. I'd probably delete their paragraph and print out a seperate one for them, making it a little more personal. Heck, I don't even receive the family letter that my parents send out. I guess they figure that if you hear it all in person, you don't need the updates in writing.

I wish that were the case but it isnt...that would require way too much thought on his part...thats a whole other thread.

And about trees...we just got ours yesterday . We cut it down ourselves at a family owned farm. It is beautiful!!

I also save cards that I recieve.
#42 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 PM

To me, the ones who send us cards are only doing it to feel better about themselves for having a long list (whatever!), and they are usually the photocopied brag letters, no inquiry of how our family is doing, just going on & on about how busy they are, etc.

Generally speaking, if I know you well enough to care about what's in your brag letter, we stay in touch during the year.

I despise the once-a-year "you're so privileged to be hearing from me" letter.
#43 of 46 Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 PM

Thank you for posting this thread!

My sensitive Pisces mind has been reeling since December 1st. Only one card!

I send out 70 and have only received one card so far? Do I smell? Seriously, doesn’t anyone like me anymore? Why have I even fallen off my family's Christmas card lists. I like to think that I am a good friend, but this card thing really has me questioning it. I need to get a grip. :

Here is my proposition; I have a few cards left. If anyone out there wants too see two cute little Munchies from Rhode Island, I can have a card there in a few days.
#44 of 46 Old 12-07-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I would feel privelaged to be on your list averysmom!
I am already sending a few out to fellow MDC'ers!

If you are serious I'll pm you my IRL address...

That makes me think alot of us mamas should be on each others lists.
#45 of 46 Old 12-07-2004, 04:20 PM

Beatgirl~go ahead. PM me your mailing address. I would love to send you a Christmas card!
#46 of 46 Old 12-07-2004, 04:43 PM

I love holiday cards. I love getting them, sending them, seeing pictures and hearing from people I don't see often enough during the year.

I used to be such a snob about cards. I used to handmake my own cards, about 50 of them, and make my own envelopes, and they were fun to do and I was so judgy about people who sent those photo cards where you could write something on the space next to the pictures.

Then I had my daughter, and I still made my own cards, but only sent a few, and they didn't turn out the way I wanted them to, and it was more stressful than enjoyable.

Now I have two kids, and I have ordered my photocards (so I can write something on the space next to the pictures) for the second year in a row. And I am not at all judgemental about anything anyone sends me. Sad I had to become a mom to learn not to judge, but I'm just happy someone is thinking of me!

I hate newsletters. The family kind that are being sent to a mass audience. I always get them from people I don't know well enough to want to read a newsletter about.

Is there a place on MDC where one can find out people's addresses, if there was a member we would like to send a card to? I guess I could ask people their addresses, but it's not as surprising that way. Just curious.

Happy Winter!

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page