The Baby Whisperer author dead at 44 years old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Tracy Hogg, a British-born nurse and best-selling author who was dubbed the "baby whisperer" for her ability to soothe prickly newborns and their anxious parents, died of melanoma Nov. 25 at a hospice in Doncaster, England. She was 44.
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...nav-obituaries

May she RIP. I thought her advice was crap, tho.

Quote:
At the heart of Hogg's message was respect for a baby's individuality. Though adults may delight in seeing a naked baby, Hogg said she believed that the baby may react differently. When she bathed babies, she used a washcloth to cover their private parts.
Quote:
In the week before she died, she was covered in towels before being lifted into a warm bath by nurses, an experience that allowed her to feel for the first time as an adult why she took such pains to cover babies with washcloths before bathing them.
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...nav-obituaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-06-2004, 11:23 PM

Sorry to hear . But I have to agree with you I found her book very disturbing and didn't bother to finish reading it. I even made a point of telling some friends of mine not to read it. RIP
#3 of 12 Old 12-06-2004, 11:27 PM

I also found her book very disturbing. there was a long chapter about a "troubled" couple where the mom was breastfeeding at something like 16 months and how she (the baby whisperer) solved the problems between the couple by getting the mom to wean. the author claimed that the mom was doing it to alienate the dad from the baby. It was clear to me she didn't know much about bfing and that she was only pro bfing for young infants.

:
#4 of 12 Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Humm... Sad to her someone has died, but that does sound disturbing. I guess it was nice of the nurses to care for her the way she wanted, most hosptials take little care in that kind of kindness. To many protocals.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#5 of 12 Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 AM

I'm pretty sure some one on these boards knew her and was friends with her IRL.

May she rest in peace.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 12 Old 12-07-2004, 01:31 AM

I never read her book, but it is so sad to see someone so young die.
#7 of 12 Old 12-11-2004, 01:43 AM

I just saw this in an obit online...I didn't take her advice...but... May she have a safe journey.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#8 of 12 Old 12-11-2004, 03:42 AM

Didnt she leave/abandon her children to go care for other children?
#9 of 12 Old 12-11-2004, 03:59 AM

I'm the one who knew her IRL. I was her webmaster for her store (Baby Technique) and the first person she asked to co-author her book (I declined).

I was in shock when I saw this thread. She was very kind to me when I worked for her and gave me lots of great advice about getting pregnant (I had a fertility problem when we first met). She was a very kind and compassionate woman. I know that her book rubbed lots of AP moms the wrong way, but I know her intentions were good and honest. She went way beyond the call of duty for her clients. Jodie Foster and Michael J. Fox were two of her clients and they spoke very highly of her.

I'm so sad to hear of her passing. I wonder what they are going to do with the store... Thanks for posting. I never would have seen this otherwise.
#10 of 12 Old 12-11-2004, 04:24 AM

My aunt died of melanoma two years ago, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Never read the book, but am very sorry for her family.
#11 of 12 Old 12-11-2004, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Pavlina
I know that her book rubbed lots of AP moms the wrong way, but I know her intentions were good and honest.
hmm... i've heard Ezzoites say the same thing about Ezzo... as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Either way, I hope her passing was peaceful and she finds the afterlife better then this one.

Seriously?
#12 of 12 Old 12-11-2004, 12:18 PM

I am not glad she is dead, but I am glad she won't be writing any more books. I found her sleep training techniques appalling. Pushing a baby from standing holding onto the bars if its crib, back down onto its back 100 times in one night? that sticks in my mind like a bad nightmare.

Her breastfeding "advice" is quoted here in www.kellymom.com 's negative review of her book.

http://www.kellymom.com/reviews/revi...whisperer.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page