Donating phone cards to the military? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know how I can do this? I'd like to help some military families who are apart this season get a chance to talk to each other.

Thanks!

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

bump

#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The problem with this is, after 9/11 and the anthrax postal scares, programs where you could just sent stuff to anonymous, random GI's, whether christmas letters (e.g., Operation Dear Abby,etc.) or whatever, are no longer done for the safety of the troops. On one level this is a shame. I had great fun the last year I was in the service writing back and forth to a 2nd grade elementary school class while aboard ship. I found letters from many kids in the class in the box set out in the corridor for anyone who wanted such letters, so I wrote back to the whole class via the teacher.

Phone cards and phone calls are one thing that usually is reasonably affordable in the military. I know the Navy has a deal w/ AT&T for deeply discounted phone cards sold at exchanges and rates from overseas bases, for example.

Do you have a base near you? Most commands have an ombudsman (don't know what they call it in other branches besides Navy) who acts as a liason between the command and the families, especially during deployments. Such a person, or perhaps the Red Cross or a base public relations person might be able to tell you how to go about it.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 12:57 PM

#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 09:44 PM

International phone cards add up and the "deal" with ATT sucks. DSN lines are free, but most are standing in line for hours upon hours just for a quick 5 min. call. EVERY little bit helps, both the moral of the one deployed and the family and friends on the homefront are boosted by hearing ones loved one. *sigh*

Guy Gane, M-ONE Financial Services Director and John Kaczorowski, the president of the Buffalo AFL-CIO Council have organized a campaign to send phone cards to U.S. troops overseas.

To donate to the Connecting Our Troops Campaign — send checks payable to AT&T to the following address:

WNY AFL-CIO Area Labor Federation
295 Main Street, Room 832
Ellicott Square Building
Buffalo, NY 14203

For more information, call 716-852-0375.

you can also send some to

Medical Family Assistance Center
Walter Reed Medical Center
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20307-5001

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!!

Another question. I heard that it takes a LONG time for calls to get connected from Iraq and by the time that is done, there isn't much time to talk. Is a 120 minute card long enough for a conversation? I only have a couple but I hope it helps some.

My DH is just on a business trip and has been gone a week and we have another week without him. We hear from him about every other day and it's so nice to hear his voice, my DS enjoys it too. What I'm going through is nothing compared to those who don't get to talk at all, and those who are that far away from their loved ones. I think this is tough, but I couldn't imagine how hard that is.

Thanks again for the info, I'm sending these cards out tomorrow!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page