Is anyone else a horrible wrapper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2004, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As in gifts. I suck big time. It's embarassing. I'm wrapping some things that I want to ship off tomorrow and I'm really tempted to say that the kids wrapped the gifts. :LOL DH wraps gifts so beautifully it puts me to shame. For some reason I always thought there was a motherly instinct that would lead me to wrap well. So many mothers seem to wrap beautifully. This is not the case with me. You're lucky if I even get a bow on the gift for you - forget about the ribbon. Well, at least no one has complained. I just wish I could wrap more like dh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 07:03 AM

: :LOL

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Banned

Oh, me, me!! My dh, Mr. Anal-Retentive Precision Boy, is driven completely out of his mind by my wrapping, and will take over immediately if he catches me doing it. I can't cut a straight line, often don't guage the right amount of paper, can't fold the little triangels straight... it's hideous :LOL .
Old 12-13-2004, 11:16 AM

Oh thank heavens I'm not alone. Like some of you others, my dh is a wrapper extrordinaire. Everything is perfect. I think he would even get the iron out to make the creases perfect if he didn't think I would tease him :LOL . I, on the other hand, product lumpy packages with globs of tape holding them together and sadly more often than not, I end up cutting extra paper to make up for the gap where the paper doesn't quite meet.

They are definetely not pretty, but I think people care more about what's in them then how they are wrapped. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 12-13-2004, 11:46 AM

I am quite possibly the worse wrapper alive :
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 AM

I love wrapping presents. : It's one of my favorite things about the holidays.

But for those of you who don't feel the love, here is a suggestion: My sister has started using fabric for wrapping. It's great b/c you can use it over and over and over. She just collects scraps throughout the year, picks them up in the scrap bin at fabric stores, or buys larger amounts on clearance (after xmas sales are great for this of course; and bday fabric could be just about anything), or just saves the leftovers from her own projects. Most of the time she wraps them bag style - I mean, just wrapping the fabric all the way around the gift, and then gathering it at the top and tying it off, if that makes sense. But you can also do it normal style. She ties the packages with yarn leftover from her knitting projects or ribbons that she also gets on clearance or whatever (and of course re-uses). Where a little extra reinforcment is needed she uses small safety pins or tape (but that doesn't hold very well to most fabrics). It's a very nice, soft look - no worries about creases and all that junk. I keep meaning to make the switch myself but I don't sew so I never have scraps lying aroudn and I never go to fabric stores.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithHannahsHeart
Oh, me, me!! My dh, Mr. Anal-Retentive Precision Boy, is driven completely out of his mind by my wrapping, and will take over immediately if he catches me doing it. I can't cut a straight line, often don't guage the right amount of paper, can't fold the little triangels straight... it's hideous :LOL .
What she said.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM

g-mama, that is a great idea! I don't sew either, but it is still a great idea. I might have to try it.

My wrapping skills have gotten better, but my presents are still easy to spot : Glad to hear that I'm not alone, and that my DH isn't the only one that spent Christmas as a kid gift wrapping at local stores for extra cash. He says that I would have been fired the first day : :LOL
Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 PM

I am an aweful wrapper. DH prefers to do all the wrapping himself, even for the boys.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Hey look, I've found my tribe! I swear, I thought we were the only family where dh is the better wrapper. Of course, this is because we learn this skill from our parents. MIL is anal to the extreme, whereas my mom's theory is "hey, you are getting a present, what else do ya want?"

The funny thing is, dh can only wrap things in boxes. If it's funny shaped, or especially if it's soft, he just can't do it. So either he finds a box and shoves it in, or I wrap those. I prefer to do it myself, as not to have a repeat of the year his little nephew (probably 5 at the time), opened a gift and ran from the living room crying and yelling "But I didn't WANT a Crockpot for Christmas!"
Old 12-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Ok well I'm actually pretty good at wrapping (dh is not allowed!) but that's only due to a year working in a Hallmark store. Some of the training videos were how to wrap gifts! So lots of practice there.
But people-Gift Bags! They are cheap, reusable, and so easy! Just stick the gift in there and a bit of tissue paper on top to hide it. Get them cheap, either at the dollar store, on sales after holidays, and keep using them. My family always keeps them and uses them again and again. We've had some of the same bags in the family for years. No tape, no scissors, no bows required(but you can stick one near the top if you're feeling fancy), no measuring paper and getting too much or too little, and less mess. No piles upon piles of ripped paper to throw away. Even for someone like me, good at wrapping but anal about it, it's so much less stressful. Gift bags are awsome.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
I love wrapping presents. : It's one of my favorite things about the holidays.
Me too! I even offer to wrap my mom's presents because I enjoy it so much!
I volunteered to wrap for the Salvation Army at the mall one year, and they taught me how. It had to be good, or you had to do it over again and people that were in a hurry weren't happy about that. I learned to wrap well and wrap quick.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Old 12-13-2004, 12:37 PM

I'm pretty good at it (just call me MRS. Anal-Retentive Precision Girl :LOL ), but I hate doing it!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:15 PM

I can do a pretty decent job with time, but I use gift bags mostly. I can't stand the waste.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:46 PM

Oh my, I am s oglad I am not the only one :LOL

No matter how much time I take, I still screw them up!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:46 PM

I am horrible. The corners get me everytime. I try and try to make them look all nice and neat but I just get frustrated. I end up folding it any which way and throwing a crap load of tape on it to make it stick. I don't care about what it looks like. You end up ripping the wrapping paper off anyway.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM

I was horrible until I watched some show about gift wrapping. I'm not as good as say Martha but I can hold my own. For some strange reason (if you knew him you'd think it was strange) my dh is excellent at wrapping.

Marie
Old 12-13-2004, 02:10 PM

Hello, my name is Lori, and I can't wrap a present worth crap.

We also do fabric gift bags. I buy several yards of fabric after christmas every year, and make them in to VERY SIMPLE bags of all shapes and sizes. My handy MIL makes her bags all fancy schmancy with a drawstring; mine I just tie ribbon around the top to secure it.

Here's the deal in our family. You keep the bag that the gift was in. Next year, you reuse it. We've been doing this for four or so years now, and at this point I don't have to make very many bags each year (pretty much to replenish the supply that I give out to people who don't do bags themselves). The waste is minimal, and it does look pretty cool, to have all these different fabric bags under the tree, with pretty ribbon hanging off them.

Plus, my horrible wrapping abilities (and don't even start on dh, if the lives of our children depended upon him wrapping a gift even moderately adequate, he couldn't do it) don't show with the fabric bags!

Lori
Old 12-13-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes
The funny thing is, dh can only wrap things in boxes. If it's funny shaped, or especially if it's soft, he just can't do it. So either he finds a box and shoves it in, or I wrap those. I prefer to do it myself, as not to have a repeat of the year his little nephew (probably 5 at the time), opened a gift and ran from the living room crying and yelling "But I didn't WANT a Crockpot for Christmas!"
: poor kid!

I am a really bad wrapper, badddd. I just tell family the kids helped : . Dh does wrap pretty good, as long as it's a simple box shape. His aunt is the best at it, all of her packages look professionally done, the only problem is it takes her 45 minutes to wrap one gift. I don't have that kind of time!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
another horrible wrapper here. dh does a much better job than i do.

my dad is even worse - he once put my stepmoms gift in a big hefty bag and tied a bow around it. we'll never let him live that one down!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 12-13-2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie Mama
No matter how much time I take, I still screw them up!
Me too! It doesn't matter how much practice I get. I am wrapping impaired! It always comes out looking like a 2 year old did it. I am so awkward! I'd tell people that my 3 year old did it, but I'm afraid they'd think she's a bad wrapper, even for a three year old! Plus, everyone already knows how bad my wrapping is, anyway. :

I am a big believer in the person who is better at something being the one to do it (unless, of course, the person who isn't as good at it enjoys doing it). My dp can also cook pretty well, and I'm horrible at cooking, so he's the one who always cooks, too!

The re-usable fabric gift bags are a great idea!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 12-13-2004, 03:27 PM

"Of course, this is because we learn this skill from our parents. MIL is anal to the extreme, whereas my mom's theory is "hey, you are getting a present, what else do ya want?" -myjulybabes

I totally agree! My mom used to make my sister and I wrap each others presents on christmas eve! One year she wrapped everything in brown butcher paper. Hence I am the worst wrapper ever. Dh on the other hand, being the only progeny of Martha Stuart's long lost twin, could probably wrap a live camel seamlessly and with no leftover paper. When he was finished he could probably macrame you a self-watering tree stand out of left over tinsel. It's discouraging I swear
Old 12-13-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
I am a big believer in the person who is better at something being the one to do it (unless, of course, the person who isn't as good at it enjoys doing it).
I usually am too but dh works *a lot* and he's a procrastinator too. So, I'd feel bad making him do it but also he'd wait until the last minute.

Just a thought, does anyone else here have really bad handwritting? (NOT including the ones who wrap well! :LOL). I have absolutely terrible handwritting. I really have to struggle to make it legible. I like to blame it on the fact that I worked in a care home for many years where I was passing at least 75 meds a day. You have to sign for each one, and fast, so...that's my excuse.

I don't see the importance in things like writing nicely, cutting straight lines etc. I'm more into things being time efficient. :
Old 12-13-2004, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I totally suck at wrapping. One year I ran out of tape and hot glued the paper. That was my all-time low.

Now I just use gift bags. I loooooooooooooove gift bags!

Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 12-13-2004, 04:33 PM

I suck at gift wrapping. I use so much tape that my brother jokes he needs a knife to open it.

The edges are wavey, the seams are crooked, the triangles don't match and I always end up with pieces that are too small because I screw up cutting the paper. I end up using all the tape in the house, no one can open the gifts including DS. Which does prevent peeking.

I never use ribbon, my bows don't match and I cannot write the tags nicely to save my life.

At least they get wrapped. If I left it up to DH, they would look good but would get done Christmas Eve. Which is fine for us, but bad for family across the country :LOL
Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe
Dh on the other hand, being the only progeny of Martha Stuart's long lost twin, could probably wrap a live camel seamlessly and with no leftover paper. When he was finished he could probably macrame you a self-watering tree stand out of left over tinsel. It's discouraging I swear
: : : :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL
Old 12-13-2004, 04:58 PM

I'm so gift-wrapping impaired that I did get fired for it. I was hired at Carson's to wrap gifts during one of my school breaks and on my first day they declared me incompetant and sent me to the janitorial staff to learn how to shovel the sidewalks and mop near the entry way.

Gift bags are the thing here. Or I wrap in big sheets of newsprint and then stamp all over them. Then all the bunches and creases and inevitable tears in the paper become "creative." Or so I tell myself.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ah boom, ah boom, ah boom, boom, boom....

My name is Bip
And I'm so un-hip
I can't wrap a gift
and I can't get a grip
On all dat slavin' and a tapin'
n' da matchin' up the ends
Def gift bags are all da fresh!

Ohhhh... I'm a terrible rapper, too! :LOL

Can I geta Woop Woop? :
Old 12-13-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby3
I am quite possibly the worse wrapper alive :
I think I am. In fact I am horrified by the results of my wrapping and sometimes undo only to make a more lumpy and hideous result.

I always pretend that people think the kids wrapped it and that's why it looks so bad.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 12-13-2004, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bippity
Can I geta Woop Woop? :

Actually, I'm not half bad for a white girl at rapping. :LOL

Hey, no one answered my question about handwritting. DH has beautiful handwritting, another amazing wrapper is my Aunt who has such pretty handwritting people ask her to write things for them.

AngusChick, I'm sorry but I am just @ your getting fired story. :ignore

User Tag List