Is this worth the $$$ - Mothering Forums

#1 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.landofnod.com/landofnod/p...ddingset_name=

I have a very artistic 5 yr old that swears Santa will still have these in stock because "Most Mommies will not let kid paint int he house" Not this Mommy!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 PM

If you trust your kids with paint, then go for it. I have a similar easel in the basement.

Doreen
#3 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:25 PM

I also have a very artistic son. I got him an easel for his 6th birthday yesterday. He is drawing on the white board at this very moment. He absolutely loves it!

#4 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 PM

What should I look at in the site you gave? I don't know what you guys are talking about
#5 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM

My kids love easels- but we got ours at garage sales for under $10. The easels have been heavily used for years- dd started at 18 months painting on hers and using the chalkboard and moved up to the taller easel at three and a half. I think any art supplies for kids are a great investment!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#6 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Oh - I found the thing you're talking about.
It looks very cool. I have a very artistic daughter myself (she is 6), but she personally prefers to draw on table while sitting. We bought her a set of water color pencils (the adult kind), painting paper and brushes and she is loves it. The results are wonderful.

BTW - I the site. I am bookmarking right now
#7 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:41 PM

If you have an IKEA around, they have one with chalkboard, whiteboard, and paper roll for $19.99. Ours has held up very well. It doesn't come with the paint cups, but you can get those pretty easily at a craft store.

The one you linked is really nice (I love most things from Land of Nod ) and likely good quality, but $119 seems very steep!
#8 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:46 PM

I'd say thats a nice easel but its very overpriced. My parents bought my son an easel for his birthday and it was made of wood like that and it cost them $25
#9 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 09:51 PM

I second the Ikea easel! My twins LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!they are 4
#10 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

My fear was that is was too expensive .....We do not have an IKEA here though. Is theirs all natural looking made from wook like this one? I reall like how it looks and she can keep it in our garage and bring it in to paint. Plus I may be setting up homeschool next year (MAYBE) and this wou;d be a helpful asset to my "classroom"
#11 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hearthsong has one, I think. We got one last year for our daughter and she loves it and plays with it a lot. It was from the Back To Basics catalogue. All of the wooden ones I've seen are expensive. I didn't know that Ikea had one for such a good price, but I no longer live anyplace near an Ikea.
#12 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 PM

I agree, go with IKEA. I've seen theirs, they are nice. For that price, at IKEA- you could buy an art set, easel, table and chair set($30), and some other stuff!!!!
Land Of Nod is SOOOOOOOO cute though. I covet their stuff::LOL

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#13 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 10:57 PM

Check out Ikea on line, I'm sure they deliver.
#14 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 10:58 PM

Here is a link to the easel at Ikea:

Art Easel

Shipping is around $10.
#15 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 PM

We got ours at Target.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#16 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Hmmmmm. Dpes the Ikea seem as sturdy? It is such a great deal! Regardless of quality. What is Ikea like that we have in Ohio? How is the quality of most of their items???? See how nice and thick the Land of Nod easel is? That appeals to me. TO do, to do.
#17 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 11:38 PM

Haley got the Ikea easel for her birthday and it is very sturdy...she has climbed it twice and not a crack in the wood or a bend or break anywhere. She also drags it all over the first floor so she can use it whereever we are and it is fine. It is well worth the $25 for the whole thing (the roll of paper is $5 extra...but it lasts a long time...she has had it a month, uses it everyday, Max uses it and the paper is only about a third gone)

jen: caring auntie to a bunch of little (and some not so little anymore) wild things. Teacher to my whackadoodle 3s (and sometimes infants)
#18 of 30 Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 PM

STURDY!!!!!
#19 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 12:17 AM

I just want to add, summiebee, that we don't have anything like IKEA in Ohio. That is why I make a semi-annual journey to Chicago just to shop there. Some of the stuff is cheap and inexpensive, most of it is just inexpensive. I like their style because it is simpler, more modern, and not country. And if you don't spend much you don't care as much if your kids damage it, KWIM?

I also write to IKEA regularly to request that they open a store in Ohio, but they haven't seen my way yet.

But after that little lovefest for IKEA, I have to say that I like the Land of Nod easel better. I think it does look sturdier and also has a work tray on both sides, the IKEA easel just has the tray on the whiteboard side. It also looks more finished, more like a piece of furniture. So if price is no object, I would go withLand of Nod. IKEA gives a better value I think, if you want to spend less.
#20 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 12:41 AM

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...t.asp?sku=7569

Here is something cool. Discount School Supply is awesome. I have purchased many items from them. They are wonderful. My mother actually lives down the street from them in California.
#21 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 01:01 AM

Hi Summie!!

I do think the Land of Nod easel is overpriced (I love their stuff, but IMO a lot of it is!) This is just me, but I would have a hard time spending that much on something that will probably just get covered in paint. The IKEA one is nice but it might not be what you're looking for if you want something that is more like a piece of furniture. I was also going to suggest checking out a school supply warehouse where you could find a nice one. I found
this one that is pretty cool because it has a feltboard too which would be great for homeschooling.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#22 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 01:12 AM

summiebee, I have not seen you in awhile! Maybe I have been out of the diapering loop

My son has one, but we got it at Ikea for 19.99. It has the exact same features--chalkboard on one side, dry erase on the other, and a paper roll that comes up over the dry erase side for drawing and painting. It has a tray for his supplies, etc.

He is only 22 months, but he plays with it every single day and it.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#23 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 AM

:

I should have read ahead

Re: Sturdiness of the Ikea easel. My son drags it all over, climbs on it, tries to stand on the tray all the time.

And I prefer the simplicity of it. It can be painted or stained if you want a finished look. I dislike heavy furniture, and this is light, folds up, thin, takes up little space and works wonderfully.

Of course I Ikea in general. It is great (the stainless steel kitchen stuff is awesome!).

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#24 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 01:29 AM

Hi, everyone!
We have a sturdy wooden easel at our home. However, my dss, 4 & 6, prefer to paint at a table or on the ground. The easel seems to limit their painting surface. Dss love rolling out the paper on the floor. They get excited about extra large sketch and paint pads, too.

I do like the paint cups with lids that are pictured with the easel. We recently added some to our supplies. I found them at our local education store.
#25 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 01:36 AM

Ikea should definetely open more stores. Their stuff has very good value - specially for middle class families with kids who would eventually destoy fancy oak furniture anyways...

But really, though they have crappy weak stuff, A LOT of their furniture (the more pricy stuff) is very solid and good. We got a great solid wood table there a few month back and it You can't beat the value of their linens and kitchen stuff either.
#26 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 10:39 AM

I am in Cincinnati, polihaupt. The Chicago IKEA is 7 miles closer to me according to Mapquest. Since it is the largest IKEA in North America and has other stores like an Lands End outlet, I've always gone there. But I expect to go the the Pittsburgh store sometime too, I'm an equal opportunity IKEA shopper. Tell me the traffic is better and I know I will switch my loyalty.

I agree that it is a great value for families who do not want endless rooms of oak for their kids to destroy. We own quite a bit actually. Bookcases, chairs, three rooms of bedroom furniture, a loft bed, tons of smaller stuff like toys, artwork, and the aforementioned linens. About 5 minivan loads of flat packed furniture, as it were.

The quality can be a bit erratic, I think. The wood furniture pieces in particular can have knots and other blemishes in awkward places, and I have found pieces that weren't well sanded in the box. It never looks as good as the catalogue or store display pieces. You just have to be careful about what you buy.
#27 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 10:43 AM

Wow, I didn't know the Chicago IKEA was the biggest one in the North America! Guess I'm lucky, I only live about 20 min. away from it! I only go there on weeknights though, too crowded otherwise.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#28 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 11:57 AM

Kari, they are opening an IKEA in Michigan next year!! It is about 45 minutes north of Toledo on 75. I am so excited because it is going to be about 15 minutes from my house!
#29 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 12:09 PM

Tnrsmom, in the meantime, come to the one by me!!!
#30 of 30 Old 12-14-2004, 12:51 PM

Ours was from AC moore. Good quality. $20 or $30 - I forget.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page