Some wrapping advice from my 3 yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to my 3 yo (who was helping me wrap some gifts we bought together for a boy in the local foster program), "children like the toys to be *out* of the package, so that they are ready to be played with"

Meaning, she wanted me to take them out of the packaging before I wrapped them, so that the child would not have to wait for an adult to cut open the box, maneuver thru that infuriating plastic packaging crap, etc. In the end, we left them packaged (cause they are easier to wrap--and return!!). But I told her I would have her presents "ready to play with" when she opens them on Christmas morn

So...do you unpackage the gifts before wrapping? Avoid packaged gifts altogether? (wish I could do that!) Or do you keep the packaging intact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 10:43 PM

LOL! I like it and never thought of it.....I should tho, my dd is always anxious to get a grown-up to get stuff out of the boxes (for a kid who can't speak, she is very good at getting her point across) :LOL
#3 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 10:44 PM

:LOL Wise woman you have on your hands there.

I try to take some things out of the package, others I don't bother. If it will make it much harder to wrap (and I want to wrap it) I leave it in. Oh, I only unwrap for my own kids... I want others to be able to return it if they hate it.

#4 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 PM

A lot of the things I get these days don't have too much packaging so that helps - but I usually leave things in the package until they are opened if they aren't going to DH or DD. For DD I will have some of each and DH is getting mostly books so it's not really an issue

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#5 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Most I take out of the packaging, but some look so cute in the package that I think it will be even more exciting to the girls if the packing is intact. For example, the little lion figures in the safari "setting" I expect will be a big hit.

What is the deal with all the @#%$ complicated wire/plastic/titanium/asbestos packaging anyway?
#6 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 PM

Can I just say that any wrapped gifts that come into our foster care agency are ALWAYS unwrapped before being given out. They do get rewrapped, but toys do get checked for appropriateness (and violence - our agency won't give out guns, for e.g.). So wrapping like that can be a waste of time anyway.

Having said that, your dd has a very good point!
#7 of 7 Old 12-16-2004, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
Can I just say that any wrapped gifts that come into our foster care agency are ALWAYS unwrapped before being given out. They do get rewrapped, but toys do get checked for appropriateness (and violence - our agency won't give out guns, for e.g.). So wrapping like that can be a waste of time anyway.
Arg!
Well, I guess that is a good idea . And it's not like I wasted a whole bunch of pricey wrapping paper, cause I just used colored tissue paper...hmmm, maybe they'll be able to see thru the tissue paper and won't unwrap it! :LOL (kidding)

Ann Marie--I agree that the packaging can make the toy seem more exciting. Actually, that is one issue I have with packaging! And I had been going back and forth in my mind....I'll keep the packaging for "effect"....I'll lose the packaging for play convenience.....and hadn't made a decision. And then dd brought it up on her own, with a definitive preference, lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page