Anyone have a cell phone and no home phone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I are thinking about this. We don't have a cell phone right now, but have been thinking about it. Does anyone have one and not the other? What do oyu like and dislike about it? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#2 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 12:43 AM

We have both. We use the cell phones for all our long distance calls which is nice because I can call any time of the day or night that I want to and not worry about rates because we never use all of our minutes. We mostly only use the phones for personal use, though DH sometimes takes business calls.

We thought about having just a cell phone but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that because if I need to dial 9-1-1 and for some reason cannot talk, I want them to be able to find me. To my knowledge that's not going to happen if you use a cell phone - unless maybe you have a GPS on it. But that seems kind of "Big Brother-ish."

Also, since cell phones are so on the go, sometimes they get left behind. And sometimes they run out of juice and go dead. (Of course, diligent charging will prevent this first problem.)

Lastly, I have some friends who bought cell phones with the intent of using them for long distance. Unfortunately, they didn't find out until after they signed the contract that their house was in an out-of-tower-range area. OOPS!

Hope this helps you with your decision.

:-)

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#3 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 12:54 AM

We have cells and no home phone. I wouldn't have it any other way now. I have cable internet. I never miss calls unless i am unable to answer the phone at all. We use Cingular and have no problems at all with signals (or lack of). We have unlimited nights and weekend and unlimited mobile to mobile. We can talk to each other or any other Cingular or AT&T customer and not be charged minutes for it. We are also not charged for roaming.
#4 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Good point, but I was told that evein if you don't have phone service if oyu plug a phone in you can call 911. Something about it being a free service. I guess I should ask the cop at church if that is true. If not, then I definitely don't want to get rid of the phone.

Which reminds me of another similar point. We have a rocket dial button on our phone. It calls my mom's house. I've taught dd that if mommy is hurt she can press that button to call my mom. THat way if anything happens we can get help. I think she's still too little (she's 3) to understand how to call 911. THanks for reminding me of that.

#5 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 12:56 AM

We DID, for 3 1/2 years. But money is super-tight right now and we can't swing it. So we are cutting down the cell plans and getting a cheap home phone.

If we had the money, I would SOOO keep the cells only and have no home phone.
#6 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 12:57 AM

We have 2 cells - one each for myself and dh - and no land line. We have cable internet. We love it.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#7 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 01:13 AM

we have a cell and no home atm. when we were deciding which one to give up, the contract we still have on our cell decided for us.

eventually we will have a home phone again, but not till we have the $ to swing it.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#8 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 AM

My dad has a cell phone and not a home phone. His is prepaid. I think that it is really only good for people who don't expect many phones calls, and don't spend much time on the phone. But I wouldn't do this having little children. If the price is a factor a home phone is better, because they have basic plans for like $29. But the again I remember Alltel at one time (and they may still have it), had a plan for unlimited mutes for $70, a month so that would be great, It would be like the price of the home phone and cell phone combined, with no extra charges. But these are local plans only so you couldn't make long distance calls. On the up side you would know exactly what your bill would be evry month, you would have 3 way, call waiting, and voicemail. But another downside is that, if you get this plane you may not be able to get more than one line to share theminutes. But if you can get it to where you can have more than one line, then I would say go for it. But everyone here has a cell phone. I use mine like the house phone, which is why my bill is always $200 or $300, a month, and so is my DF's. It is kind of funny that my bill is so high and I don't have a job.
#9 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 AM

I know of a couple of people who have no land lines.
One couple even has their internet access hooked up through their cell plan.

For some it much cheeper to have cells and no land lines
#10 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 02:21 AM

We haven't had a home phone in almost 4 years. I love it. Dh has a work phone and I have my cell. I don't have to answer the phone 400 times a day with people looking for dh The biggest bonus is the inlaws only call dh's phone We bought my dad one as well when he babysat ds while we worked. It's worth the extra $10 a month even though he doesn't babysit anymore(we moved) to know he has it when he goes out. As far as emergencies go, we have a pull down style fire alarm that I taught ds how to use. I like having only one number for people to call me on. No one has to call my house, then call my cell for important stuff. I love it and wouldn't change it.
#11 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 AM

BIL & SIL have cells w/no home.

We have a home & cell because:

1) I think you need a home phone line to get DSL
2) We get crappy reception inside of our house on the cell.

If those two weren't true, I'd be all over it!

#12 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No land line here! I get 1200 day time minutes, free nights and weekends and pay about $60 mo and have cable internet. I'm usually not home enough to make a land time worth it and I need the cell incase there's an emergency with dd and I was having to sit home all day waiting for Drs to call and what not before.

Seriously?
#13 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 06:16 AM

It is true that all cell phones must dial 911 even if there is no service to the phone. If you can turn the thing on, you can dial 911 from it and if there is service where you are it will put you through to the nearest 911 dispatch center place thingie (I lost the word for that one, sorry)
#14 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned

We have three cellphones and no landline.

Shhhhh, we're giving our son a cellphone (and minutes ) for Christmas so we'll soon have four)

We have internet service through our cable.

It's a bit more expensive because (and only because) OF THE EXORBINANT TAXES LEVVIED BY THE POWERS-THAT-BE!!!!!

Many pluses. Cellphones with loads of minutes. We keep one cellphone as a "landline" but when we're all out we can give one of our children that "landline" as a cellphone.

The negative....well the extra $10ish because of the (*)$^^&)%^ "luxury" taxes(note the plural)

Debra Baker
#15 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 09:39 AM

DH and I each have cellphones on a family plan and no landline. We actually save money this way because of the free long distance.
#16 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 10:12 AM

I have a cell phone and a home phone because I make a three hour trip every week and have a penchant for locking my keys in the car (and the kids too once each) Bad Mommy moment! I have seriously been considering getting rid of the house phone because they cost about the same and I hate that fact that Bell Canada has no competition in this area. Boycott Bell! They can charge us whatever they want for having the privilege of having a phone line in our home and then charge us for line insurance on top of it so that if there is a problem with the line they will fix it. Why do they charge us for the line if it is our line to get fixed when there is a problem? They suck. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I am too lazy to call everyone and give them a new #. We have had the same number for 10 years and that would be a lot of people to call.
#17 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had to choose a while back because we couldn't afford both, and went with the cells. I'm a student and want the sitter to be able to reach me in case of an emergency.

The only thing I miss is our TiVo being able to call for programming info. But DH's computer has the media center setup and a built in digital recorder, so with the cable he can record stuff, except for the digital channels.

Not that I've had time for TV lately anyway...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#18 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 10:29 AM

My sister had a cell phone and no home phone for a while. Then one day her purse was stolen and thrown into a dumpster. A good Samaritan found her cell phone and called the first person on her speed dial, which turned out to be my parents. Unfortunately, since she had no home phone we had no way to get in touch with her. My mom was worried (purse in dumpster? does that mean sister's body was behind dumpster and no one had discovered it yet?!) - sister lives 45 minutes away, so it wasn't like we could just pop over to her place to check on her...The police were called, they went to her house and she was fine, but it was a pretty scary situation.

She has a home phone again, now.
#19 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 AM

We have cell phones, no land lines. I HAVE to have a cell phone since I'm on call for births, my husband has one because he works for himself and is on the road most of the time, and my oldest DD has one. Someone is always home at my house. We have cable internet.
My phone has unlimited calling, unlimited long distance, (which saves me money because my Mom lives in another state and we talk all the time)
#20 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 01:45 PM

my brother does it like this. We tried but my dd is 12 and her friends are calling constantly or she is calling them... she is forever on the phone.
#21 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Our home phone service was super-expensive. Guess that's what we get for living in SoCal. We did have a minimalist cell phone plan already do to a period of time when I was very ill and used it if I needed to have someone get me b/c I was suddenly too sick to drive home. So we got rid of the home phones. For around the same money we upped our cell phones and got a cable modem. We got fast internet and its really nice that DH and I each have our own phone numbers. I was so sick of answering the phone 10 times a night when people were trying to call DH but he wasn't home from work yet. Plus I just have 1 phone number, all the time, whatever city I might be visiting.

That said. I do carry my cell phone all the time. But I think nothing of turning it off or just not picking it up if it isn't a convenient time. Like if its just a friend who I know is probably just calling to chat, I don't even pick up the phone if I happen to be say, checking out at the grocery store. You just have to be smart about not letting the cell phone encroach on your life.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#22 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAida
It is true that all cell phones must dial 911 even if there is no service to the phone. If you can turn the thing on, you can dial 911 from it and if there is service where you are it will put you through to the nearest 911 dispatch center place thingie (I lost the word for that one, sorry)

Not true at all!!!.. They just had a story about this on the news the other day. Not all cell phones have access to 911. With some carriers you have to pay, to have the service on your phone. And with many carriers even if you do have it on your phone it will not work in all areas, even if you can call out to other people.
#23 of 27 Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 PM

We just went wireless a month ago. So far so good. The only con I can see is that sometimes I'm in the bedroom and the phone is out in the living room/kitchen and I have to go get it. There was an extension phone on my nightstand so I'm still grabbing for it even though it's not there. Also sometimes the phone is my my coat/diaper bag and I don't hear it ringing.
I wouldn't go back.
#24 of 27 Old 12-23-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren
I was told that evein if you don't have phone service if oyu plug a phone in you can call 911. Something about it being a free service.
Odd....it's mandatory that I have to pay 20 cents a month to have 911 access on my cell & home phone.. yet it's a free service? lol

I've had a cell phone and no land line and it cost me a FORTUNE! I didn't even make hardly any calls during the day, too. I ended up just getting rid of the cell phone and going back to the land line.
#25 of 27 Old 12-23-2004, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

When I said that if you plug a phone in it iwll have 911 service I was talking about landlines. Here it is a free service, so if you have a phone and plug it into a jack it will call 911.

#26 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 12:54 AM

I turn my cell on vibrate and tuck it in my bra so it will always be on me and I will feel it. I can't hear my land line when I am upstairs and I can't feel the phone in my pocket/hear it when I am out and about. (trust me, this is not the strangest thing I have ever carried in my bra!)
#27 of 27 Old 12-27-2004, 07:29 PM

My parents have done this and as soon as our DSL contract is up, we may do the same. They can call 911 or the phone company from their land line. They have two cells - one has their old home number on it so they don't miss calls from changing their number. If we take the plunge, we'll have our current land-line number be the number on the second cell.

Internet cable is cheaper than DSL, for us, and you don't have to have cable tv to have internet cable but you do have to pay $45 a month for your land line in order to pay $45 more (including all the taxes) to have DSL on your land line. So $90 vs. $25 for internet access is the picture here. I figured that out too late to make it worth it to make the switch, but at the end of January I just might.

My advice: get a cell phone first and make sure you get good signal from your house. Get a good phone - some get better signals than others. My old cell phone company I couldn't get a good signal at all at home, but my parents could talk on their phones in our basement. So when my cell phone contract was up I switched to the company my parents use and now use the cell for long distance. It's great because I have a headset on it so I can do things while I talk.

We don't talk on the phone much so we wouldn't need a plan with lots of minutes. But people that gab a lot probably need to think twice before they go cell only or they won't come out ahead.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page