Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2004, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
My husband does this!

A few weeks after 911 he actually followed a Muslim couple home that lived in our neighborhood. He saw her nursing her baby in the front seat at a red light. First, he thought that it would be awful if they were pulled over when there was such an ill climate at that time towards Muslims by a police officer and Second, he said, had they been in a car accident that baby would have flown threw the windshield. (mom didnt have a seat belt on that he could see) I think he scared them because he got out of his car and at a distance spoke to the husband and let him know that his wife couldnt be doing that. The wife thanked him and the husband had this look like Jeff might kill him. Which wasnt the case, he just didnt want to see them or their child get hurt.

Good!!! I've done this too -- I followed a car some distance that had a woman holding a baby in the front seat. Thank God I speak relatively decent Spanish. Perhaps they were new to this country / didn't have good information about car seats, but WOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 PM

i am glad that you left a note, but it would have been better to call the police. the baby could have died in the car after you left the note and who knows how long the baby was in the car? why do people leave children in the car? my dad left me in the car as a young child and the car rolled into a ravine with lots of flowing water! i could have died, but thankfully people saw it and my dad came and got me out, even though water had started to fill the car.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:39 PM

Violeta, the OP didn't see the baby in the car.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:40 PM

The baby wasn't in the car, just the infant seat.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:41 PM

so there was no infant in the car? i guess i misunderstood the OP's initial statement. i am sorry. please forgive me
Old 01-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Thanks, Boingo, and I'd like to add this. Elementary Physics 101, folks!

Scenario 1: You are going 50 mph down the interstate in your Hyundai and another person rear-ends you at 60 mph.

He actually has not driven 60 mph's worth of force into your car. He has driven ten. (His 60 minus your 50).

Scenario 2: You are going 15 mph down a street and hit head-on another car going 15 mph.

Total force: 30 mph (Yours plus theirs).

Here's another grim physics lesson for why you should NEVER NEVER NEVER carry a baby in your arms.

It's called mass x speed = force. Thanks, Newton!

This is in answer to anyone who thinks she can "just hold on to the baby" in the event of a crash.

Let's take our mild little header from the example above.

Mass of the baby, let's say, is 15 lbs.

In that crash, all of a sudden, your baby weighs FOUR HUNDRED FIFTY POUNDS in terms of the g-forces being exerted by the rate of forward travel. Just try holding a 450-lb baby.

Now...what if you were going 45 mph? 65?

Hope anyone who plans to do that works out. A LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
It happens though, that those "certain kinds" of accidents account for more than half of all fatal accidents. They also tend to be at much higher speeds than side and rear-impact collisions...This is because in a side or rear impact collision only ONE vehicle is travelling towards the other. Often the other is moving away reducing the speed of the crash.
In a frontal impact you have either a vehicle moving towards a stationary object, or two vehicles both moving towards each other...it is not unusual to see a combined impact speed of over 75-100mph in these collisions.

Since vehicles are almost always moving *forward* when they're moving, it stands to reason that they would usually crash on the front end..and in fact statistics reflect this.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...2/MHuntley.txt
Children Ages 0-8 years
fatalities by impact zone
Frontal: 3393 (51%)
Side:2669 (40%)
Rear: 623 ( 9%)

No. That is incorrect. You could state that being in the backseat is more dangerous in certain cars, in the event of a rear-impact collision, but statistics show that type of collision to be MUCH less frequent and MUCH less severe, so the backseat is not "MORE dangerous" overall. The fact is that statistically, it is safer to place everyone of value in the backseat.

That is a big IF, considering that your rear-impact accident will likely never occur, and if it did, would be much LESS severe than the frontal impact that is more likely.

http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_fact...ts/general.htm
Please see "deaths by crash type and point of impact" halfway down.

It is just plain common sense to protect against the most COMMON and FATAL collision, the frontal impact...that is why we rear-face our children and keep them in the backseat.

If these rear collisions were so common and dangerous, rearfacing infants would NOT be recommended, since rearfacing is less safe *in a rear-impact collision*.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:24 AM

we don't have a car and have rented cars with airbags in front and kept ds in back, but also borrowed a car with no airbags from a friend and i've put ds in front while i was the only one in the car. mostly, i just try to avoid travelling alone with him by car so he doesn't have to be by himself in the back seat. if you look at the car seat it says clearly that it must not be put in the front seat of a car WITH passenger seat airbag. i've also heard a lot of people say that even without an airbag, the front seat is more dangerous due to flying glass, etc. but that risk seems much smaller than the risk of baby being killed by an airbag.

good for you for leaving the note. if the person has had the airbag disabled, they won't think twice of it because they've already looked into the issue and figured out what works best for their family. if they haven't then you've given them valuable information.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Having baby in the front seat, even without airbags, is much more dangerous than having baby in the back seat, with the middle of the back seat being the safest(if the carseat fits in the middle that is)

User Tag List