gym ettiquite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have recently joined the YMCA-
tonight I went, put ds in the daycare room and all the treadmills were taken- which is what I wanted to use
So I went and checked on ds- and they were still taken when I got back- so I got a magazine- sat in this lounge area- right outside the room to watch to see if anyone came out- so I could use a treadmill.
No one did- or if they did- others were quicker than I... So after 45 minutes- I went and got ds and went home.
I plan to only go in the a.m- but if this were to happen again-

1. What do you do? Just sit and wait- and then where should you wait
2. And was it rude of me to leave ds in the daycare room even tho I was not working out- but enjoying myself reading a magazine? I used to work in the YMCA babysitter room in my hometown- and that would not have bothered me- unless the room was packed- which it was not.
They are planning on extending the room- so that will be nice.
Thanks for any advice
#2 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 02:52 AM

Hmmm...most gyms that I have been to have some sort of time limit on treadmills during busy hours and have a sign up sheet for a waiting list. I would probably ask the staff members if there is a waiting list for equipment. I don't think it is rude for you to leave ds while you waited. Are you paying extra for the babysitting, or is it included in the price?
#3 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

It is included in the price.
If she had a full room I would not have left him- but since she did and dh was out of town- I thought I would relax for a bit!
Emilie
#4 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, unless there's some "You must be actively working out at all times for the duration that your child is in daycare" rule :LOL . HOnestly, as long as you are on the premises I think it's fine. And no machines were available to you anyway! It's just a busy time of year right now
#5 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

That is true- all those - oh crap- mom brain- what is it called- new years resolutions- right!
Emilie
#6 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 03:48 AM

#7 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

OH- my- I would never do that- that would piss me off so bad!!!
I am new at the gym thing and it is totally out of my comfort zone- but I have declared that the gym is about me-a nd not them and they will not go home and think about me- so why do I spend all day thinking about them?( ie- will they think I walk funny- what if I fall off the machine- etc etc etc!)
#8 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 AM

The Y here has a 30min time limit on all cardio machines and there is a HUGE white board with time slots and machine numbers on it right near the door to the cardio room. What I do most mornings if I can is pop into the room, write my name down in first available slot and then go change into my gear. Then I hit the weightmachines for a bit or the bike for a bit of a warm up.

I love the Y simply because that time is all about me. And I get so motivated seeing so many different people with different ages and bodies there. The Y here always has a ton of 70 year olds working out when I do (during the day) and nothing makes me feel more inspired.
#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 AM

At the Y we used (along with other fitness centers, I've seen) there are always sign-in/time sheets to use when it's busy. The limit was usually 30 mins to a machine when busy. FYI, I think a.m. (9ish) is the best time to go when many members have already went in to work. I went 1 time when the Y was busy and after that fine tuned my timing. I hate crowded gyms. I didn't use the childcare but I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Having a child running around the gym is a bigger concern IMO. I agree with Elphaba's suggestion, try another machine.

And have fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page