Not very AP or NFL- BUT!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am wondering what type of "extras" does your family have??

Like I was thinking about getting Cable- dont have it now, but I am home all day and I like noise in the back ground... We rent movies by the truck load and basic cable is about 1/2 what we spend on movies, however to go from 1-13 channels it is like $13 per month the next step up- that has the good stuff like TLC and Discovery and such is $50 a month

Or do you have cell phones, more than 1 car, long distance, you know the extreas!!!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have internet.
Dh has a mobile phone, but it is for his work; even when I worked for a mobile phone company, I refused to get one.

We don't have cable, but own a tv (working on that one though)

Maybe if we had more money, we would get more "extras", but really, I'm not so sure. I'd have to be REALLY rich to spend money on some extras: I'd prefer to save that money to travel, or work less.
#3 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 PM

:

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#4 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:47 PM

We have cable internet and cable tv. We pay for basic, but get the classic line-up, too, b/c they never shut it off after I called about it twice. I think the lady that works there felt sorry for me after we cut back from digital cable, so she's giving us all those channels for free to be nice. Lord knows, I miss my digital cable. No more Noggin or BBCAmerica. HGTV and TLC are keeping me afloat, but...

Uh, that's it for extreme extras around here. After the car note, car insurance, car gas, rent, and utilities (water, gas, electric, phone), we have nothing left except what we pay for cable internet and tv and we're considering getting rid of those. We'll have to eat eventually, right?
#5 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM

We have digital cable that comes with On Demand movies and programs. I have watched the first three seasons the Sex in the City for free!! We have high speed internet and a phone, of course, no long distance though. It is all a package through the phone company for 99.00 a month. Not bad considering AOL was like 30 dollars and phone was almost 45 without the cable. We have two cars, a minivan for me and my husband drives for a living so he has a used Honda. He also had a phone for work, and a laptop but his work provides and pays for it.

sarah

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#6 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM

No cable, but I do have a cell phone. I JUST got it a couple weeks ago since the little ones and I attend a LOT of playgroups, etc. This way my oldest son's school can reach me if need be.

DH has a truck, I have a van.
#7 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:57 PM

We have cell phones, but we did get rid of the traditional land line because we used our cells more and the land line was more expensive than two cells.

We have digital on demand cable and tivo. That way I'm able to watch my favorite shows on my time and if I want to watch Seasame Street or something with DD, we can at any time.
#8 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I can write what we have :LOL

We have cable internet- but we have a web desing business- so it is more for business..

We have an office for our company but that is only $145 a month- pretty good for a whole office and we cable internet and pay no utilities for the place!

We have 1 car- kinda sucks when I am home all day- I want to get another one- but I want a Jeep grand wagonier- like from the 80's with the fake wood panneling! So that would be cheap enough!

We have a cell phone- but we use it for long distance and for our business line.

I think that is it!

#9 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
We have cell phones, but we did get rid of the traditional land line because we used our cells more and the land line was more expensive than two cells.
That is so ture! We would do that but our cell come in and out at our house, mostly out!!! But if we lived in town we would never have a land line!

#10 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 PM

The el-cheapo $11 a month basic, basic cable; cell phones (which actually SAVE us money since we no longer have to pay long distance) and two car payments (gasp!) although luckily both car payments combined equal less than the payment would be on just one new fancy-pants SUV. We also go out to eat way more than we should, but we're really trying to curtail that habit.

We don't have a lot of extra money, but we get by...
#11 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Extras? Cripes, maybe I'm not as crunchy as I thought I was. I need some of these things to EXIST! :LOL

(I'm a drama queen, sorry )

Let's see, We have two tv's (bedroom/living room) both hooked up to a satellite service. We have a land line, with long distance, call waiting and caller ID. We each have a cell phone (Dh and I) but the cells are a business expense (We own our own business and use cell phones to communicate with each other and techs in the field during the working day).

Let's see, what else.....

We are getting a DSL connection for my laptop at home.

We have a swimming pool.

That might be it.

Really, though, some of it I don't consider "extra". Like the long distance on my phone. I have too many relatives and friends who live outside my local calling area to not have long distance.

Oh, I don't have an answering machine...I guess that's something....:LOL

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#12 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:05 PM

well, i have two phone lines and dsl. the second line and dsl are for business though.

we plan to get a tv and dvd player sometime in the near future!
#13 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:05 PM

We have two cars, two cell phones, DirecTV and Tivo, a PS2, our Internet is DSL and we have a Netflix account.

I don't see what electronics, cars, and "extras" have to do with being AP.
#14 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM

We have a cable package for the computer and tv. The stations are what Chaka described, HGTV, Discovery and History channel. Dh likes the cable, I would probably give it up. I (obviously ) like the cable hook up for the pc. We have 2 cars. Dh works about 30 minutes away and public transporation isn't really an option. I like being able to take the kids places since we hs.

We have taken some vacations, like rented a rustic little place at the lake and a weekend in some other cities. I buy new clothes for the kids (we do reeive some hand me downs from sisters).

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#15 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles
I don't see what electronics, cars, and "extras" have to do with being AP.
Same here. You can still be an awesome momma/parent even if you have Tivo (or even Tee-Faux).
#16 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just ment more than 1 car- Some people think the only way to be AP is to have 1 car that is great on gas!

#17 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM

I think AP and NFL are being confused.
#18 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia
I think AP and NFL are being confused.
Yes, they are two very different things. Some people are both, some aren't but they are not the same.

FTR we have a tv, satellite and we will never get rid of it. Also cable internet but no cell phone, don't need it right now so we don't have one.
#19 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM

We have cable, DSL and 2 Tivo's

We have a washing machine/dryer and dishwasher.

We have cell phones, cordless phones and voicemail.

We have heat and AC

We have 2 full and one 1/2 bath

We have 2 cars- both are 2000's and both paid for in full

My son wears a mix of hand me downs and new. My mom does make all his sweaters

We have a kitchenaid, Cuisinart, blender, crock-pot and coffee maker that grinds the beans

I am sure there are more that I have forgotten

I guess all of things listed above could be considered "extras" as they are definitely things we don’t NEED but they are also things that make life easier and/or nicer *for us*. I also feel none of these things interfere or conflict with my abilty to practice attachment parenting.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#20 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon
That is so ture! We would do that but our cell come in and out at our house, mostly out!!! But if we lived in town we would never have a land line!

Maybe it's your service provider. If you know anyone else with a cell phone who uses another provider, have them use their phone at your house and see what happens. We had Cingular, and always had problems. now we use Cingular through AT&T (???) and everything's great.

I keep our land line at the most basic service level, and it runs about $10/month. With the cell, I have a family share plan with the people I talk to the most. We talk with eachother for free, we got all of the phones for free, free nights and weekends, and 2,000 daytime minutes a month. All of that costs $30/month, per person... The numbers I call the most are 'local long-distance', so my old land-line plane was much more expensive than the cell + basic land service.
#21 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

Another one:

My DD's wear designer clothing. I resell most of it on ebay afterwards... if I buy the stuff brand new, on sale, many times I can re-sell it for what I paid for it.
#22 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our big extra is DSL- we don't have cell phones, our phone service has no extras like call waiting or caller id, no cable, no microwave, no dishwasher. We do have an answering machine and the church pays for a pager. We joke around that we are quasi-Amish

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#23 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM

We have satellite TV, 4 of em, and cable internet. For school, i simply must have it.

I do have a cell phone...it started when i was commuting 55 miles one way, now i am in the ER and have it because i am on call. I do however, have Sprint as my cell phone provider, whic has the added bonus of free longdistance and its free to call my mom and brother, who have Sprint as well.

We have two cars, but i feel its a necessity with three kids in public school.

We have 2 bathrooms, heat, washer and dryer. I have a home with more than enough room.

I have two computers, one desk top, one laptop.
#24 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon

but I want a Jeep grand wagonier- like from the 80's with the fake wood panneling!
I thought I was the only person in the world that wanted one of these! :LOL

We have cable on our PC and DPs Laptop-we have cable tv, but it is free w/ our internet.

2 Cars-one paid for one will be paid for this month! woo hoo

2 cell phone-but no land line either here-it's not worth it!

hmm...I can't think of anythin else!!
#25 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Let me see,we have Direct tv,it's included in my rent(pays to rent from your dad,lol),includes all stations except pay per view.It's on almost all day long,usually Noggin or PBS Kids.Dd also has a reciever and a tv in her room : .I have almost all the channels blocked,she only gets a select few.

We all have a dvd player.Yes,ds and dd too. : I had to take ds's out of his room though,he kept pulling all the wires out.These are all hand me downs from my dad,with the exception of the kids' tvs.They are just cheap little ones form Evilmart.They are only allowed to watch a few select DVDs,no violence,swearing,nothing like that.Also usually gifts from my dad.He's a nerd who has to have every new kind of tv,dvd player,etc.

Dh has an Xbox,with only a couple of games(Tony Hawk).

We have a cordless phone with caller ID and answering service,long distance is on it too,but it is never used.

We have a prepaid cell phone.I need to carry it,we use public transportation quite a bit,and with ds's heart I cannot take any chances.It's a Virgin Mobile,and it's great.

We are routed to my Dad's cable modem.The computer was also a hand me down from him.

No car,no dishwasher,we share the washer and dryer with my parents.We do have a microwave though.We're happy just the way we are.I would love a car though,but that's just not happening right now.One day!

Mama
to my 17yo talented artist dd

and my 14yo smart gamer ds

#26 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, we have 2 cars but 1 is an 86 Nova.
Drug dealers stole it once, but abandoned it once they realized it sucked.

We have 2 bedrooms and 1 bath.

We have a little TV/VCR combo we keep in the closet, and a DVD on our computer

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#27 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

No, hallesmom, I've wanted crayon's dream car for a few years, now. Some day the Taurus will die, and I'll report it stolen and use the insurance moeny to- er, I mean... some day, after a lot of hard work and responsible saving, I'll put a few thousand dollars aside and buy myseld an old Wagoneer.
#28 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Changed the title to "not very AP or NFL.. But..."

I was just thinking not very AP= TV... But I didnt think about everything else falling in the NFL ideal!

#29 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:41 PM

We have two satellite tvs with TIVO. We don't watch much TV at all, but there are some shows we LOVE so we got the TIVO. It's pretty cool. The shows we love are usually on when we're getting the kids to bed, so the TIVO lets us watch them whenever we want. Plus, dd is allowed to watch 45 minutes of cartoons a day, so I just record her favorites from Noggin and PBS Kids and she can choose which ones she wants to watch.

We have one cell phone (no long distance on land-line) and two cars, one of which is paid off. Dh also has a motorcycle which really saves on gas during the six months it is nice enough to ride it. We have DSL too.

It does sound like we have alot, but I'll add that dh's motorcycle was a gift from his employer. Also, our house is very small and new, therefore pretty energy effiecient.
#30 of 37 Old 02-23-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, we have 2 cars but 1 is an 86 Nova. Drug dealers stole it once, but abandoned it once they realized it sucked
:LOL For some reason this cracked me up! My first car was a used 1977 chevy chevette. Only had an AM radio and an 8-track player. I could leave it anywhere, windows rolled down and it was never stolen. Meanwhile all my friends with their fancy new (and leased) cars had their radios and/or cars stolen all the time. Of course I was STILL jealous.....

Pardon me while I puke.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page