in my human sexuality class... UPDATE @ end of thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are finishing the unit on conception and contraception, and in thursday's lecture we got to watch some birth videos and discuss birth options... at the end of class, i asked the professor if she wanted me to put up the URL for my daughter's birth story (an unassisted birth) on the board to... you know... kind of add to the options we were discussion (because we went over hospital birth, home birth, and birth center birth, but not UC) and she said to wait until tuesday's class...

... when she's going to have me lead the discussion in class about it! :

i can't believe i agreed. i HATE speaking in front of a group! i don't even know what i'm going to talk about! not that i'm not intimately familiar with the subject -- i'm just : about it! not to mention that the vast majority of the people in the class (with ONE exception) are all fresh-from-high-school, closed-minded teenagers that care more about having lots of sex and drinking lots of beer than actually learning from the class.

i am ---{so nervous}-- !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2005, 05:38 AM

You'll be great. Your birth is so beautiful, and you will find that mama strength to get through it, your message is too important not to.

Who knows, there's a chance you might open the mind of one of those beer slurpin high school tuolumnites...It's our job to provide the options. You'll be nervous, but just breathe through it, just like labor.

I 'bout had a sister moment with you over your UA story, connecting on the Om. I used this too to ride the waves in labor with my babies. Everyone there would circle and om after we did, it was so strengthening.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:47 AM

That's awesome You're planting seeds in their impressionable minds even if they don't pay 100% attention
Old 03-19-2005, 07:06 AM

You will do great.
I loved your birth story - so much of it was familiar to me, because I stayed home until 9 cm, but when I got to that panicky place I DID go to the hosp. (Planned hosp birth I just did not want to be there any sooner than necessary!)
You brought back a lot of memories. I remember having the same thoughts you mentioned.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's easy to speak in front of a group when you are discussion a subject on which you are passionate.

You'll do great.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Wow, that's so neat. Even if they're "closed-minded teenagers", you might plant the seed for what they'll choose to do when they make decisions about their own birthing plans.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
Old 03-19-2005, 11:56 AM

That's awesome! I'm sure you are nervous, but wow what a great opportunity to get the word out. I was in school last year, and would bring up birth a lot. There were a lot of younger people, but they all seemed (or pretended to anyway) to be interested, or at least listen politely to what I had to say...

Just speak from your heart and you'll do great!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Old 03-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Hey, I learned about waterbirth in HS, and that's what led me to here! The first birth story I ever read was the birth of Grey Forest Walt, and by then I was hooked! You never know what will happen! That's awesome! Please let us know what happens!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddingpop
Wow, that's so neat. Even if they're "closed-minded teenagers", you might plant the seed for what they'll choose to do when they make decisions about their own birthing plans.
Since when are teenagers close-minded? Teenagers are so open! I am sure they will enjoy learning about something so liberating and empowering and anti-authority.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
It's easy to speak in front of a group when you are discussion a subject on which you are passionate.

You'll do great.
So true.

And I wouldn't assume that because they are young and like to party, they are close-minded. IME, younger people are especially fascinated by birth stories b/c they don't know anything about it except the most basic, mainstream stuff. I bet they'll be really engaged.

This will be awesome! You'll plant the seeds in their minds, and have fun too!

Let us know if you want any helping planning what to do.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:19 PM

I saw some photos and info on natural birth put out by the Farm in Tennesee when I was in HS. I had no idea at the time, but it did plant the seed that led me here. Just knowing there are alternatives. What a gift you are giving!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:24 PM

That's wonderful!!!!!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 03-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Yes that is great! I agree with the others that they most likely are not closeminded or they wouldnt be taking that class ya know?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you will do great, i also am in classes with alot of just out of highschool age peoiple and the stuff they talk about after class is amazing. you will amaze them. they will be sooooo enthalled will the idea of a uc birth.
good job!!!
keep us updated.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:00 PM

You'll do great!

Old 03-19-2005, 03:03 PM

That is so cool. I'm sure you will be wonderful!!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:35 PM

WOW- I just read your birth story- so beautiful and empowering!
You will do great! That is amazing that you get to do that! This will probally be the first time some of them meet someone who did not give birth in a hospital!
Emilie
Old 03-19-2005, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
Since when are teenagers close-minded? Teenagers are so open! I am sure they will enjoy learning about something so liberating and empowering and anti-authority.
well, this is the same group that largely agreed that "some kids just need a good beating" and that "spanked kids turn out fine," etc., and that when the professor brought up breastfeeding (and how it produces an oxytocin rush) there was an "ew" from the back of the room...

but you guys are right. i might influence some of them, or at least plant some seeds, which is always a good thing.

i'm still nervous though. :: shaking ::
Old 03-20-2005, 02:30 AM

Your birth story is absolutely beautiful! I just e-mailed it to my friends---YOU ARE MY HERO!
I know speaking in front of people sucks but I think after the first few sentences you'll get all passionate about it and the nervousness will go away!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Old 03-20-2005, 02:38 AM

It's all about acting cool with young college students (I teach classes on sexuality and gender for a living) - bring it to them in a way they can understand and get inerested in. I always throw in pop culture references to le them know I am a human too, occassionally curse or say something shocking, and don't take ny sh8*t from anyone, etc. I works every time.

You'll do great! Imagine you are telling it here or arguing with someone who thinks it should be illegal or teaching a group of people how to do it (which, in a way, you are).

Students love not having to listen to their prof - they'll love you.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 AM

PS. If they do things like say "ew" I make them back that up. I'll call them on it and ask them to explain that response. It both commands respect and shows them you are engaged and interested in them (not just reading your script without their input). I make them talk to me about everything.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroMama
PS. If they do things like say "ew" I make them back that up. I'll call them on it and ask them to explain that response.
OMG that's brilliant!

now for the guts...

thanks everyone for your input & support.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
well, this is the same group that largely agreed that "some kids just need a good beating" and that "spanked kids turn out fine," etc., and that when the professor brought up breastfeeding (and how it produces an oxytocin rush) there was an "ew" from the back of the room...
Two points:

Kids in college can only express opinions about what they know. I hear the statement of "spanked kids turn out fine" to mean "I was spanked and I think I'm fine," and does not necessarily express any knowledge about the deeper issues. A student in my class this quarter was reporting the birth of a friend's baby, saying the baby was over 10 pounds. Someone made the comment "I hope it was a c-section!" I asked why she's said that, and continued with a little information about geometry and the squishiness of fat. This was a completely new concept to everyone in the class. Simply new. No judgement either way, it just hadn't been considered before. (This was a geophysics class, by the way. LOL)

I'd bet that less than 30% of the kids in the class are actually saying anything during class. There is another 70% that's listening and soaking up information.

One way to deal with the ewww factor is to make eye contact with the ewwwer. Keep it neutral, don't put an expression of disappointment or surprise on your face at all, but make eye contact. The message then becomes "this is real, I'm real."
Old 03-20-2005, 01:28 PM

I just read your birth story - it's beautiful, and I connected to it in so many ways.

I think you will do wonderfully speaking to your class.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
Old 03-20-2005, 02:12 PM

wish i could be there when you lead the class!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
me too

seems like i've been saying that alot lately.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Get to work!

I wixh I had had the opportunity of sharing my parents' UCing in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and the joy of helping to weigh my siblings when they were minutes old when I was in community college.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 03-20-2005, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Two points:

Kids in college can only express opinions about what they know. I hear the statement of "spanked kids turn out fine" to mean "I was spanked and I think I'm fine," and does not necessarily express any knowledge about the deeper issues. A student in my class this quarter was reporting the birth of a friend's baby, saying the baby was over 10 pounds. Someone made the comment "I hope it was a c-section!" I asked why she's said that, and continued with a little information about geometry and the squishiness of fat. This was a completely new concept to everyone in the class. Simply new. No judgement either way, it just hadn't been considered before. (This was a geophysics class, by the way. LOL)

I'd bet that less than 30% of the kids in the class are actually saying anything during class. There is another 70% that's listening and soaking up information.

One way to deal with the ewww factor is to make eye contact with the ewwwer. Keep it neutral, don't put an expression of disappointment or surprise on your face at all, but make eye contact. The message then becomes "this is real, I'm real."
you bring up so many good points, thank you!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 PM

How COOL!! You'll do great, you're so well-spoken. Speaking on subject matter you're familiar with is usually pretty easy. I'd be happy to help you with the presentation if you'd like it.

What a great opportunity! Most people don't even know UC is possible.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
Especially the anti-authority part.

hang.gif  

User Tag List