How are you celebrating Earth Day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just want to get some ideas for celebrating earth day, especially with very little ones. Other than gardening and nature walks that we do almost everyday, I want to do something with dd1, 2 1/2 yrs, that will demonstrate earthyness. I thought about picking up some of the trash in the ditch nearby, but there's not much, and it'd be hard with dd2 in the sling, and keeping dd1 off the road. Any other ideas? Crafts, games, stories? Please share what you're doing / have done in the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Not a big deal or anything, but my daughter wants to collect coins for WWF's yearly coin-fundraiser- this year it's wildcats. Other then that, not sure! maybe your thread will give me ideas...

One year (before kids), my hubby and I silk screened tee shirts with an earth on the front that was crumbling at the bottom- and wrote "save the earth" around it, and sold them, and sent the proceeds to an oragnization.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We hope to make it to the Earth Faire near us, and the Procession of the Species Parade. (Parade where everyone dresses up as whatever animal they like...drummers, bubbles, puppets, face paint etc) You can check these sites for some ideas

http://www.earthday.gov/

http://earthday.envirolink.org/

Here is an activity your family might like! You decorate paper grocery bags and return them to the store to "get out the earth day message" so to speak. It's free, and fun for the kids.
http://www.earthdaybags.org/

Some craft ideas
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/earthday/

Hope this helps a bit

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 03:57 PM

:
#5 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not a ton of new ideas here, but a good link or two. I wrote this for a board I monitor
===============
April 22nd 2005 is Earth Day! How will you and your homeschoolers observe this? Here are some ideas for you to consider:

1. Take a walk in the park, city, near the river or anywhere. Bring a field guide to try and identify local plants/and or animals and insects you see. Bring bags to pick up trash along the way.

2. Learn all about compost! Get your homeschoolers involved in learning how to turn waste back into earth. This page has many links to check out on the subject.
http://www.blaircounty.org/HomeComposting.htm

3.Grow a garden together. You can do it in a huge way, or a small contained way. You can even grow herbs in your kitchen. Gardening is a wonderful way to take care of our earth, and get something beautiful and yummy out of it as well. Try beans, carrots, tomatoes, and peppers for a yummy vegetable salad later on. You could also go for attracting birds and butterflies to your yard with specially chosen plants. Here are some links to pages with gardening info.

http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...-671%2C00.html

http://www.kidsgardening.com/

4. Check for local Earth Day events in your area at
http://www.earthday.org/

5. If you don't already recycle look into how you can start! If your city doesn't provide recycling resources...write a letter or 20.

Peace ~Un

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Well, Earthday is my birthday, so we'll be going out for dinner and then doing something fun afterwards (I have no idea what, yet.) It's still a tad too early to go out to plant a tree or anything, and it just happens that it's going to be freezing cold and rainy on Earthday, even though all the days before and after it next week are supposed to be gorgeous. So nature walks are out. :P

We do "earthy" thing every other day of the year, so I don't know what we could do on Earthday that would be different, or special. I'm just not very creative today.
#7 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

"We do "earthy" thing every other day of the year, so I don't know what we could do on Earthday that would be different, or special"

Very good point, I think this describes us as well, but I still want to mark the day with something for dd. Lots of good ideas here, thanks!
#8 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This year, Earth Day is right before Passover (Passover technically starts Saturday night but we need to have the kitchen ready before Shabbat starts on Friday night, April 22nd.) We're going to be spending the day getting ready for our holiday- switching our dishes over, doing lots of cooking, etc.

Every day is Earth Day around here. We just donated 5 trunkloads of clothes, housewares, and toys, and freecycled a lot of bulkier items, that my Dad would have gladly paid to be taken to a landfill. We always try to buy items with minimal packaging, we do a lot of thrift store shopping, and I re-use glass food containers for food storage.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Yard work.

We have mulch to spread, plants to move, sick plants to either try and heal or move out, fields to mow, etc., etc., etc. As a PP said, "Every day is earth day around here"!
#10 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

We've been invited to attend an earth day parade with friends who also have little ones. There will be a potluck. Unfortunately, we have to drive an hour to get to it (not very earth friendly) but it should be a fun day.
#11 of 11 Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM

Last year we worked in the garden and then had a plant share. We took tomato and pepper plants that I had grown from seed to my gardening friends and neighbors.
This year I am not sure what we are doing but it will include working in the garden and planting something.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page